Jets to release Mo Wilkerson per SNY

Patriot Killa

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, because there’s a pretty healthy trend of veteran talent pulling in the oars under this coaching staff. 

I don't know.  Mo was feared to be a dog back at the time of the draft.  This doesn't shock me at all.  The only other guy who I think flat out quit was Revis, and I think we all saw that coming.  I don't know.  In general, I think work ethic is pretty intrinsic as an adult.  At least for Wilkerson, there were some consequences as far as playing time, but I'm not sure what else a coach could do.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, gEYno said:

I don't know.  Mo was feared to be a dog back at the time of the draft.  This doesn't shock me at all.  The only other guy who I think flat out quit was Revis, and I think we all saw that coming.  I don't know.  In general, I think work ethic is pretty intrinsic as an adult.  At least for Wilkerson, there were some consequences as far as playing time, but I'm not sure what else a coach could do.

Oh, so now you're supposed to be some sort of expert on human nature? Pffft.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

When Coached by Rex Ryan.

Since being 'coached' by Todd "Defensive Guru" Bowles.

Under Bowles we have really just burned our way through the elite De-line we build. 

Wilk, now a overpaid JAG, soon to be cut outright at no value to us.

Sheldon, gone, decent trade for that moment, but not for what he was.

Snacks, gone.

Leonard Williams, 2 sacks, pedestrian play as his star is already dimming too.

Notice a trend?  Bowles D-Line work sucks.  He turns once-elite level guys into cuts and trade aways.

okay, maybe bowles is a contributor but it could also be that bowles defense doesn't require dominating dlinemen and so the jets won't have to invest so much cap and draft capital into the positions.  it does beg the question why leo was picked if bowles defense de-emphacises the dline play?

Shouldn’t someone from the Jets organization have to stand in front of a microphone and answer why Mo Wilkerson starred for Rex, but quit under Todd Bowles? Or are are we just gonna act like cutting talented veterans every year because they stopped playing hard is just business as usual?

Mo has been taking plays off since his days at Temple.  His lazy ass has been known since forever.  Jets fans vastly overrate his "starring" for Rex or anyone else for that matter.  He had a few great moments in his career and zero consistency.  Dude was also a loner in the locker room and did not engage much with teammates (something I heard from someone who worked at Jets HQ in florham Park).  

That said... Bowles indeed sucks.  Should have been fired the day after week 17 ended.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

This is the thing, though. Mo was a dog, BUT he was rich the second he was drafted, so the only real variable was the coach. 

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

I was right there with you two years ago.  I thought he was exactly the kind of guy you want to keep.  12 sacks in 2015 to go along with 3 forced fumbles, 7 passes defensed, consistent pressure on the QB and solid in the run game - as much production as you could expect from a 3-4 DE not named JJ Watt.  I thought he earned his payday and was thrilled to hear that we locked him up long term. 

I never imagined that we would release him two years into the deal -- and that I would be happy about it.  Good riddance.

even there the right course would've been to franchise him instead of giving him a huge contract.

19 minutes ago, Pac said:

Someone wanna tell dopey ^^ that Wilkerson was completely emasculated with a healthy scratch designation the last 3 games?  After basically being told to F off on the tarmac before the Denver game..

I think that was to protect mo from injuring himself and the jets being on the hook for next year tbh. He should have been punished/emasculated years ago when these habits started.  As much as i dislike man(ish)... he had to be talking about Mo years ago for getting away with things and not getting punished.

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Mo has been taking plays off since his days at Temple.  His lazy ass has been known since forever.  Jets fans vastly overrate his "starring" for Rex or anyone else for that matter.  He had a few great moments in his career and zero consistency.  Dude was also a loner in the locker room and did not engage much with teammates (something I heard from someone who worked at Jets HQ in florham Park).  

This just screams:

PAY THE MAN!

Shouldn’t someone from the Jets organization have to stand in front of a microphone and answer why Mo Wilkerson starred for Rex, but quit under Todd Bowles? Or are are we just gonna act like cutting talented veterans every year because they stopped playing hard is just business as usual?

Now watch Bowles want to take a DL in first or 2nd, and a cb. The DL and Secondary is a never ending hole jets prioritize every draft. Usually good teams target one area high in draft and don’t have to draft there for many years later. No wonder why our team blows. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

This, so very much this.

How Herm gets the BBQ Coach label and Todd "Giant Discipline Free Pussy" Bowles doesn't, I'll never know.

Remember when Bowles was finally going to bring some discipline to this franchise coming from the Parcells coaching tree?

Good times.  

41 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Example number 5 billion on how the media and fanbase influence the organization through the conduit of a crappy owner

This poster is like when a baseball team is getting blown out and they let the sixth outfielder take the mound in the eighth inning because he can throw a 46-MPH screwball and why not

56 minutes ago, Pac said:

Someone wanna tell dopey ^^ that Wilkerson was completely emasculated with a healthy scratch designation the last 3 games?  After basically being told to F off on the tarmac before the Denver game..

he earned that, don't you think?  Anyway, the decision to dump him was made not long after mid season and they had to protect against his getting injured, otherwise a major portion, if not all, of his 2018 salary would have been guaranteed, I think. Read it here somewhere during the season.

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is the thing, though. Mo was a dog, BUT he was rich the second he was drafted, so the only real variable was the coach. 

He'd made a lot of money by normal standards, but in 2016, he made significantly more than he made in the 5 years prior, combined.  He'd "only" made 6.8 million in his 1st four years.  That's a lot of money, but that doesn't go very far if you're done earning an income at that age, unless you're exceptionally financially disciplined.  He got paid in the last year of his rookie deal again, but all he needed  to do was work hard one year at that point, and he put himself in a different orbit.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Someone should ask Macc what dumbass thought it was a good idea to give Mo $100 million

stop the crap ...when I was calling for the Jets to keep Snacks and dump Wilkerson most of the people here we like "But but Wilk had 12 sacks..." Even though the Nose guard is the most important player across the line in a 3-4 defense and the most difficult to replace.

The over all opinion was to sign Wilkerson ...If people on this forum are going to knock every move a GM makes then they better take a hard look across the NFL because you can't predict when a player is going to up and quit after signing a big contract there is always risk. My bet is if Wilk Did great you would not be here singing the praises of Mike Maccagnan. Just remember Haynesworth and the bullsh*t he pulled.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

He'd made a lot of money by normal standards, but in 2016, he made significantly more than he made in the 5 years prior, combined.  He'd "only" made 6.8 million in his 1st four years.  That's a lot of money, but that doesn't go very far if you're done earning an income at that age, unless you're exceptionally financially disciplined.  He got paid in the last year of his rookie deal again, but all he needed  to do was work hard one year at that point, and he put himself in a different orbit.

Right, but I wonder, to someone that has relatively nothing, is the presence of $2 million dollars motivating and the presence of $50 million then demotivating? 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Right, but I wonder, to someone that has relatively nothing, is the presence of $2 million dollars motivating and the presence of $50 million then demotivating? 

I don't think it's the 2M that's motivating.  I think that for Mo, and others, you work for your one big NFL payday, and then you decide if you actually care about football.  It's not like he was motivated by the 2M, and not by the 60M.  From the day you come into the NFL, unless you're a #1 pick, financially, you need to get that 2nd contract, and you're set for generations.  That's exactly what Mo did.  In a sense, you can't blame him.  Get out with 8 figures and your brain, knees, and back intact.  If only I was a Wilkerson Family Financial Security Fan, and not a Jets Fan, I'd be thrilled.

27 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I don't think it's the 2M that's motivating.  I think that for Mo, and others, you work for your one big NFL payday, and then you decide if you actually care about football.  It's not like he was motivated by the 2M, and not by the 60M.  From the day you come into the NFL, unless you're a #1 pick, financially, you need to get that 2nd contract, and you're set for generations.  That's exactly what Mo did.  In a sense, you can't blame him.  Get out with 8 figures and your brain, knees, and back intact.  If only I was a Wilkerson Family Financial Security Fan, and not a Jets Fan, I'd be thrilled.

I mean, if he had intellectually mapped out this route over the course of his playing career, kudos to him, but I can’t imagine it was all that contrived. I know it happens with artists and writers, for instance, where they get rich and lose access to the emotional stimuli that enabled their genius. Maybe that’s what happens with athletes like Mo? 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, if he had intellectually mapped out this route I’ve the course of his playing career, kudos to him, but I can’t imagine it was all that contrived. I know it happens with artists and writers, for instance, where they get rich and lose access to the emotional stimuli that enabled their genius. Maybe that’s what happens with athletes like Mo? 

^

T0mShane, rich writer.

21 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Now that hes not playing for that contract anymore, once the team is out of contention, or its well known your not going anywhere as a team, its easy to pack it in. Its hard playing for a perennial loser and working hard in practice and showing up for meetings. If this team starts to light it up would that rejuvenate him as a player ? My guess is the Jets don't want to wait around to see if that's the case and you can't blame them.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

^

T0mShane, rich writer.

You can find my books, “The Mini-Death is Real: How Orgasms Actually Cause Cancer” and “Mein Bedford Falls: The Nazi Utopianism of Capra’s ‘It’s A Wonderful Life” in bookstores and on Amazon, or the audiobook (as narrated by Squeaky Fromme) on iTunes.

Archived