Jets to release Mo Wilkerson per SNY

Patriot Killa

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Right, but I wonder, to someone that has relatively nothing, is the presence of $2 million dollars motivating and the presence of $50 million then demotivating? 

Of course it is. The sports world is littered with this story in almost every single area. Shawn Kemp, Albert Haynesworth...etc. Sh-t, even Conor McGregor right now.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lolwut?

He was benched and "emasculated" after they decided they were going to release him after the season, so he wouldn't get injured those last games and thereby kick in an additional $16m guarantee for the 2018 season.

Way to crack that whip, Todd!

he was benched, shamed, and will be unceremoniously dumped in a week or so.

you think Mo has enjoyed himself the last month where he's been castigated by fans and media alike?

having to sit and listen and read what a bum he is?  watching Mehta take countless victory laps while thrashing him all over the news?

yes emasculated, shamed, humbled, embarrassed, put in his place...  however you want to say it.

Gruden was cheered for doing the same to Keyshawn.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

he earned that, don't you think?  Anyway, the decision to dump him was made not long after mid season and they had to protect against his getting injured, otherwise a major portion, if not all, of his 2018 salary would have been guaranteed, I think. Read it here somewhere during the season.

I get it..  a few of you guys want to pretend Mo's behavior and attitude didn't play into the decision to let him go and that sitting him wasn't a punishment...  I think that's nonsense. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, if he had intellectually mapped out this route over the course of his playing career, kudos to him, but I can’t imagine it was all that contrived. I know it happens with artists and writers, for instance, where they get rich and lose access to the emotional stimuli that enabled their genius. Maybe that’s what happens with athletes like Mo? 

Maybe... but is it that complex?  You know you need one contract to make it.  So, get that contract.

5 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Maybe... but is it that complex?  You know you need one contract to make it.  So, get that contract.

It happens in fighting all the time. Literally all the time. Champions lose the hunger to stay on top for a variety of reasons, but a big one is that it's hard to go get punched in the face every day when you wake up one morning in silk sheets and have $50-100 million sitting in the bank. And I don't think Georges St. Pierre or Conor McGregor plan something like that years in advance.

Fun Facts:

The Jets ranked 3rd in most dead money spent in 2017

The $9MM in dead money the Jets will be paying Mo in 2018  would rank as second most dead money to any player in 2017, only behind Tony Romo's $10MM...who retired....and is a QB.

The $3MM in dead money the Jets will be paying Mo in 2020 would be more than 9 NFL teams entire, combined dead money spent in 2017.  

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Fun Facts:

The $9MM in dead money the Jets will be paying Mo in 2018  would rank as second most dead money to any player in 2017, only behind Tony Romo's $10MM...who retired....and is a QB.

The $3MM in dead money the Jets will be paying Mo in 2020 would be more than 9 NFL teams entire, combined dead money spent in 2017.  

0052372B-3433-4345-B14C-1EBC1601EC40.gif

2 hours ago, Pac said:

I get it..  a few of you guys want to pretend Mo's behavior and attitude didn't play into the decision to let him go and that sitting him wasn't a punishment...  I think that's nonsense. 

It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.  Mo rarely lived up to anyone's expectations on the field.  That's enough for me.  The clubhouse stuff  is secondary.  It's not like Mo broke the law often or violated NFL drug policies.  That was a big issue for Richardson that could easily have resulted in a long suspension with one more offense.  Too much risk, considering he is not the sharpest tool in the shed.  With Mo, it's all about production.  Hey, he's a 3-4 End. I'll never understand why this team invests the big bucks and high picks in that position and virtually nothing to Edge rushers/OLBs until the mid rounds.  Seems kind of stupid as a general philosophy.  Rex played 4-man fronts more frequently than Bowles, so I would expect DE's sacks and pressures to drop with Bowles and they have.   But what do I know?  

2 hours ago, Pac said:

you think Mo has enjoyed himself the last month where he's been castigated by fans and media alike?

having to sit and listen and read what a bum he is?  watching Mehta take countless victory laps while thrashing him all over the news?

yes emasculated, shamed, humbled, embarrassed, put in his place...  however you want to say it.

LOL

50 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Fun Facts:

If he's cut soon there will be $9 million in dead cap this year.  (unless  tagged as post 6/1 cut).  That's the extent of it.  There would be no dead money in 2019 or 2020.   If they keep Mo around for 2018, then there would be $6 million dead cap in 2019.  Keep him 2018 and 2019 then there would be $3 million dead in 2020.  Jets have a lot of cap space this year.  As much as it sucks, this is the right season to take the big hit.  

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If he's cut soon there will be $9 million in dead cap this year.  (unless  tagged as post 6/1 cut).  That's the extent of it.  There would be no dead money in 2019 or 2020.   If they keep Mo around for 2018, then there would be $6 million dead cap in 2019.  Keep him 2018 and 2019 then there would be $3 million dead in 2020.  Jets have a lot of cap space this year.  As much as it sucks, this is the right season to take the big hit.  

No season is ever good to be taking these cap hits I read where we lead the league in this. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No season is ever good to be taking these cap hits I read where we lead the league in this. 

I never said it was good.  I said this season is better than any others because we have ample space.  It won't leech its way into 2019 and beyond. 

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

My bad, should have said "would have been". 

Was trying to just show how bad the contract was/is, even per year 5.

Even the 3M being more than 9 teams total in 2017

3 hours ago, Pac said:

yeah we sure showed him

I will say it again and again and again. Never ever give an interior defensive lineman his 2nd contract. Same goes for Williams. You get the best of them on their rookie deals. They rarely ever show value to a big payday. In fact, Williams should be considered as part of a trade deal if we can move up for a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sad thing is that Shane was saying that. He started saying it with the Idzik hire and I believe that he kept it up until sometime in 2016.

Must feel great to point out when Jets fans have been wrong over the years. You could write an entire volume of books on that subject. Keep fighting the good fight.

4 hours ago, Pac said:

Some days it's harder to tell if posts are serious, or satire.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

The fall from grace for Rex Ryan’s toxically influenced, vaunted defensive kind has been nothing short of “full Jet-tard”.

Think of what Rex was able to string together with a defense made up of former 1st round picks at every position. What a genius.

Archived