Jets announce OC and Staff

Gas2No99

Rick Dennison - C -  Jets

Jets hired Rick Dennison as their run-game coordinator/OL coach

This was fully expected. Buffalo give up on Dennison after one season, but he has one of the better run schemes in the league. Jeremy Bates is replacing John Morton as the Jets' offensive coordinator.

Feb 14 - 4:49 PM

*This is also my last post until the end of Lent. I have given up the NY Jets as well as Reading, Lurking, Posting, and Visting Jets Nation for the SALVATION of MY SOUL!!!! Hope this place doesn't implode by mid-March & the FA signing period. :lol:

Cheers and TTY'all LATER!!!

34 minutes ago, Larz said:

congratulations jets fan! 

You won a Valentine's Day date with Cindy Crawford!!

Jets fan, "have you seen that mole on her face?"

Larz: “Also, here’s Cindy Crawford. Kiss it and prove you’re a real fan. Go on. Kiss Cindy.”

7BBF6104-C2B1-4349-9355-494D344BD944.jpeg

49 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I'm debating whether or not to root for another 0-16 season. I suppose I'll wait to see the final tentative roster after FA and the Draft. 

Also, need to wait and see if we have traded next year's 1 or not.

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

I'm debating whether or not to root for another 0-16 season. I suppose I'll wait to see the final tentative roster after FA and the Draft. 

Agreed.  There's a possibility that Josh McCown is our starting QB next year and Christian Hackenberg is "the future".  

At that point, we might as well punt on first down.

How do fans force an owner to sell a team?

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Agreed.  There's a possibility that Josh McCown is our starting QB next year and Christian Hackenberg is "the future".  

At that point, we might as well punt on first down.

How do fans force an owner to sell a team?

That some post apocalyptic type shit right there. 

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

All jokes aside, we are really not going to have a QB coach this year?  We are possibly drafting a guy to be the face of the franchize and we can’t have a coach that’s only job it is to coach and help said player?    Only this team...

Was wondering same thing, will bates do double duty as qb coach\oc?? or is someone else going to be hired as qb coach?

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Bates is OC / QB coach

Lombardi is Asst QB coach. Jason Vrable is an ex-QB, OC, QB coach. Same goes for Robby Brown.  

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches.html

There is no offensive quality control guy.

Run the ball slavishly between the tackles every 1st and 2nd down and then whine you don't run enough. NOBODY will be self-scouting down&distance tendencies nor what works and what doesn't. Todd Bowles , visionary; really closer to grandma seeing Jesus in a pancake or something.

In summation, we have an idiot coaching this team. Bellichick is playing 4D chess, our coach likes Monopoly but only to play with the dog piece and the shoe, not the actual game itself. 

8 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

We just promoted the guy who couldn't coach Hack to a point where he could take a single snap in 2 years. Including some complete sh*t shows like week 17 this year

So its Jeremy Bates' fault that Hackenberg isnt a good QB, its not at all on the player himself?

This board is astounding sometimes.  

Am I surprised we arent bringing in a QB coach, yes.  But the truth is none of really know what the role of OC/QB coach is, other then in a lot of cases it can be a good cop/bad cop type thing, which in my opinion at this elite level, isnt necessary.  You want one guy who is working with the QB and getting that person to buy into what he is teaching, and frankly Bates is a good hire to do that.

Any extra time that he will lose by not having a QB coach, will be made up by the fact that Dennison is essentially a Co-OC, working on the game plan with Bates and focusing on the running portion of the game plan.

All that matters is whether or not these guys are talented, can work together, and share a philosophy and all of those are a YES.  They have both done this before on an NFL staff and know how to work together.  I think both of these guys are excellent hires for a young offense.

9 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

We just promoted the guy who couldn't coach Hack to a point where he could take a single snap in 2 years. Including some complete sh*t shows like week 17 this year

Bill Walsh couldn’t coach Hack. He wasn’t very good in college so why do people think he’d be good in the pros. 

13 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

All jokes aside, we are really not going to have a QB coach this year?  We are possibly drafting a guy to be the face of the franchize and we can’t have a coach that’s only job it is to coach and help said player?    Only this team...

This struck me also.

Kind of reminiscent of when Kotite was hired, he was actually a decent TE's coach, and decided to to be HC/TE's coach.  Jets had drafted Kyle Brady, and there was some articles at the time that Brady was calling his Penn St position coaches daily, because he wasn't getting any coaching on the Jets.  Kotite just didn't have time.

Hope this isn't a repeat.  Young QB's coming from NCAA systems to the NFL need tons of personal  work.  We'll see.

Hope the Jets aren't putting all their eggs in the Cousins basket.

11 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

So Bates doesn't see OC as a job requiring ALL of his attention.  Can you say overconfident.   

serious question... did he actually say this??

or are you assuming that based on not having a QB coach yet?

9 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

lol, hack is trash .... Coach wouldn't matter. Maybe Hack should stop working with Jordan Palmer??? 

44 minutes ago, Stark said:

serious question... did he actually say this??

or are you assuming that based on not having a QB coach yet?

Jeremy Bates will remain Jets quarterbacks coach after promotion to offensive coordinator

Yesterday the Jets finally officially announced Jeremy Bates as their offensive coordinator. Reports broke weeks ago that the team would promote Bates, but the Jets moved slowly. Rich Cimini offers an interesting note.

For those wondering, Bates will remain the QB coach while serving as offensive coordinator. #Jets

Rick Dennison, who was hired as run game coordinator, will also serve as a position coach. Dennison will be the offensive line coach.

I am not sure there is anything to analyze here either good or bad. It isn’t unprecedented for a coordinator to also coach a position. Some successful coordinators also coach a position. Some successful coordinators don’t. There are also successful and unsuccessful coordinators who do not coach a position.

Bates was reportedly involved in game planning a year ago while serving as quarterbacks coach so his new job might be a great departure from what he was doing, although there will be new responsibilities such as play calling.

One could argue keeping Bates as quarterbacks coach would provide continuity, but the Jets should look to bring in new quarterbacks this offseason so maybe that isn’t relevant.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/2/15/17015774/jeremy-bates-will-remain-jets-quarterbacks-coach-after-promotion-to-offensive-coordinator

20 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Jeremy Bates will remain Jets quarterbacks coach after promotion to offensive coordinator

Yesterday the Jets finally officially announced Jeremy Bates as their offensive coordinator. Reports broke weeks ago that the team would promote Bates, but the Jets moved slowly. Rich Cimini offers an interesting note.

For those wondering, Bates will remain the QB coach while serving as offensive coordinator. #Jets

Rick Dennison, who was hired as run game coordinator, will also serve as a position coach. Dennison will be the offensive line coach.

I am not sure there is anything to analyze here either good or bad. It isn’t unprecedented for a coordinator to also coach a position. Some successful coordinators also coach a position. Some successful coordinators don’t. There are also successful and unsuccessful coordinators who do not coach a position.

Bates was reportedly involved in game planning a year ago while serving as quarterbacks coach so his new job might be a great departure from what he was doing, although there will be new responsibilities such as play calling.

One could argue keeping Bates as quarterbacks coach would provide continuity, but the Jets should look to bring in new quarterbacks this offseason so maybe that isn’t relevant.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/2/15/17015774/jeremy-bates-will-remain-jets-quarterbacks-coach-after-promotion-to-offensive-coordinator

I guess i should have phrased the question as: did Bates say he didn't want a QB coach, that he decided he can do both?

I feel like we should get a position coach so he can concentrate on the offense.

I wonder if, because Dennison will have a role with the running game it gives Bates some time? Seems weird though.

39 minutes ago, Stark said:

I guess i should have phrased the question as: did Bates say he didn't want a QB coach, that he decided he can do both?

I feel like we should get a position coach so he can concentrate on the offense.

I wonder if, because Dennison will have a role with the running game it gives Bates some time? Seems weird though.

It's not like there aren't other assistants/coaches helping. The Steelers are doing the same thing. I know it's a different situation but it's not unheard of.

18 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It's not like there aren't other assistants/coaches helping. The Steelers are doing the same thing. I know it's a different situation but it's not unheard of.

Depends who the QB is going to be.  If it's a vet like Cousins it's probably not a big deal.  if it's a rookie, not so sure I like it.  Of course they could re-sign McCown and use him as a QB coach

Archived