Jets announce OC and Staff

Gas2No99

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Depends who the QB is going to be.  If it's a vet like Cousins it's probably not a big deal.  if it's a rookie, not so sure I like it.  Of course they could re-sign McCown and use him as a QB coach

I was with you until the bold.

You want to trust that McCown is going to be a good QB coach. There is always a chance, but if we get a rookie and I am assuming if we are we are trading up to get Darnold or Rosen ..... I personally want someone with QB coaching experience and some level of success before going experimental with McCown just because he has been in the league for 20 years 

If mccown was unsigned how many NFL teams are knocking down his door to be QB coach? I can't imagine that it is many, if any... Hue Jackson, lol, well he would have maybe but now he is not getting any say and I don't think Dorsey is F*ing around and would laugh at the proposal of McCown being his QB coach.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Depends who the QB is going to be.  If it's a vet like Cousins it's probably not a big deal.  if it's a rookie, not so sure I like it.  Of course they could re-sign McCown and use him as a QB coach

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

I was with you until the bold.

You want to trust that McCown is going to be a good QB coach. There is always a chance, but if we get a rookie and I am assuming if we are we are trading up to get Darnold or Rosen ..... I personally want someone with QB coaching experience and some level of success before going experimental with McCown just because he has been in the league for 20 years 

If mccown was unsigned how many NFL teams are knocking down his door to be QB coach? I can't imagine that it is many, if any... Hue Jackson, lol, well he would have maybe but now he is not getting any say and I don't think Dorsey is F*ing around and would laugh at the proposal of McCown being his QB coach.

I get you want someone with experience but I like the idea of McCown in that role simply because of what he brings.

McCown played a year under Bates and could be an extension of Bates. He has been in every system, I believe he's had to learn 16 different offenses in his career. He's worked with the QBs we have on the roster. Considered a leader and well respected in that locker room. 

You have to start somewhere. Mac and Bowles have both stated they feel McCown is going to be a great coach one day. I think it's a good idea to see how the QB situation plays itself out, and see how McCown fits, before hiring a QB coach.

Is the consensus that the Jets are going to run more zone blocking with Bates/Dennison? Figure the offensive line definitely needs to be reworked, curious to see how the coordinators might impact player acquisition strategies.

If they're running zone stuff wonder if they find a way to go get the Iowa center. Kind of goes against Maccagnan's drafting strategies I guess, he's done more beefy linemen in an admittedly small sample, but on the other hand he tends to draft linemen late and I don't think that's too at odds with building a ZBS line. I'd love to work towards having a quality one again. Makes everything else so much easier on offense.

19 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

I get you want someone with experience but I like the idea of McCown in that role simply because of what he brings.

McCown played a year under Bates and could be an extension of Bates. He has been in every system, I believe he's had to learn 16 different offenses in his career. He's worked with the QBs we have on the roster. Considered a leader and well respected in that locker room. 

You have to start somewhere. Mac and Bowles have both stated they feel McCown is going to be a great coach one day. I think it's a good idea to see how the QB situation plays itself out, and see how McCown fits, before hiring a QB coach.

My concern is that "feeling like McCown is going to be a great coach one day" doesn't necessarily mean immediately. And yes he's worked with the QBs we have, Petty - Hack and those guys look like they didn't improve at all. I don't put that on McCown, I just think Petty was a long shot to be a starter (preseason gave hope) and Hack is just garbage. 

Either way we go McCown having to learn 16 different offenses, doesn't mean he could teach them. And if hypothetically we draft a Rosen or a Darnold, do you really want to stake their development on the McCown QB Coach development too. Sorry Not me and not with a rookie, which was more my point - I may not have explained that well. If we sign Cousins... then sure let McCown be a coach because Cousins doesn't need someone teaching him the nuances of the position, and building his foundation. 

16 hours ago, derp said:

Is the consensus that the Jets are going to run more zone blocking with Bates/Dennison? Figure the offensive line definitely needs to be reworked, curious to see how the coordinators might impact player acquisition strategies.

If they're running zone stuff wonder if they find a way to go get the Iowa center. Kind of goes against Maccagnan's drafting strategies I guess, he's done more beefy linemen in an admittedly small sample, but on the other hand he tends to draft linemen late and I don't think that's too at odds with building a ZBS line. I'd love to work towards having a quality one again. Makes everything else so much easier on offense.

It's a pretty safe assumption. Manish mentioned Jonathan Cooper as a potential target in free agency. He hasn't lived up to his draft position but fits a zone blocking scheme that they probably wanna run. 

Rick Dennison: 5 Stops Before Boarding Jets

Posted 2 hours ago

Lange_Randy-headshot.jpgRandy LangeNYJets.com Contributor@rlangejets

•  
  •  

Strong Offensive Numbers Have a Way of Popping Up for New OL Coach/Run Game Coordinator

dennison-listicle-top-AP_1110230131359.j

In every city on Rick Dennison's NFL assistant coaching tour over the last two-plus decades, good offensive things seem to break out. Now that Dennison has been introduced as head coach Todd Bowles' new offensive line coach/run game coordinator — the first "RGC" in franchise history — working with new coordinator Jeremy Bates, we thought we'd go back over his stops and some of the numbers that jump out.

Denver Broncos, 1995-2009

In his first stop a Mile High, Dennison first began his long relationship with Gary Kubiak, Denver's OC from 1995-2005, and also worked with a host of other coaches with familiar names, among them Bates, WRs coach Karl Dorrell, now with the Jets, and Anthony Lynn. As the special teams coach in 1997 and '98 he got his first taste of contributing to a Super Bowl-winning operation.

In '01 Dennison moved to the offensive line and then served three seasons as OC, from '06-08, with QB Jay Cutler's role in the offense growing each year through '08, when he threw for 4,526 yards and 25 touchdowns and the Broncos offense ranked second overall and third in net passing yards.

Houston Texans, 2010-13
Kubiak left to become Houston's head coach in 2006 and brought in Dennison as his offensive coordinator in 2010. In Dennison's first three seasons, the Texans fielded top-10 total-yardage teams in '10 and '12, the No. 4 passing team in '10, and top-10 units in rushing and scoring all three seasons. In his entire four-year stay, the Texans were No. 8 in total yards, No. 6 in rush yards, No. 7 in first downs, and fifth in both giveaways and offensive points. And Arian Foster was third among all RBs with 4,806 rushing yards and fifth with 6,427 scrimmage yards.

dennison-listicle-art-AP_17319593396258.

Baltimore Ravens, 2014
John Harbaugh added Kubiak to his staff as OC and Dennison as quarterbacks coach, and in some ways QB Joe Flacco never had it so good. Flacco threw a career-high 27 touchdown passes, notched a 91.0 passer rating that is still the second-best of his 10 Ravens seasons, and suffered a sack every 30 dropbacks, the best rate of his career and No. 2 in the NFL that season behind only the always well-protected Peyton Manning.

Denver Broncos, 2015-16
Kubiak got the nod from John Elway to return to the Broncos as head coach in 2015 and Kubiak called on Dennison to accompany him again. The offense was middle-of-the-road that season, and Manning's greatest individual seasons were behind him, but the best ranking of all were Rick, Payton and the Broncos contributing to another Super Bowl winner for Denver.

Buffalo Bills, 2017
New Buffalo HC Sean McDermott named Dennison his OC a year ago and it was arguably the Bills' running game and third-down efficiency that led the way to their first playoff berth this millennium. LeSean McCoy was No. 4 in the NFL with 1,138 rushing yards and tied for third with 38 runs of 10-plus yards. The Bills' offense was No. 6 with 126.1 rush yards/game, No. 4 with 30.4 carries/game, and No. 6 with a 41.9% third-down conversion rate.

Archived