Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kelly

7 biggest mistakes made by Jets since 2015, including Ryan Fitzpatrick & Muhammad Wilkerson ~ ~ ~


Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Gotta disagree fish.  Many on this board including me were dead set against Fitz esp after his holdout.  

I personally didn't want him signed in the first place. But he was going to get resigned after the season he had.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick was in no way shape or forum a mistake unless you are the ultimate hind sighter.

For the most part, I agree.  It was a one-year deal and he was coming off his best season as a pro.  That Bills game though... the last game of the season with the playoffs on the line.  Maybe it's hindsight being 20/20, but we should've known then.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Gotta disagree fish.  Many on this board including me were dead set against Fitz esp after his holdout.  

Not sure why, the guy set records for us the year before, we won 10 games, he was not paid outrageously even after the hold out.  We had no other good alternatives.  It made total sense to reup the guy you had so much success with the year before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick was in no way shape or forum a mistake unless you are the ultimate hind sighter.

I agree up until the time he became a free agent. His contract demands were excessive and not one other team would even consider signing him at the numbers he wanted. 

Instead of moving on, the Jets waited him out like he was the second coming of Joe Namath. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

The tri-state area was in the middle of a crack epidemic during that time.  Only way to explain paying Ryan Fitzpatrick 12mil.

THAT's it !..

 

:jawdrop:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once mini camp started they should’ve moved on from Fitzpatrick. If they weren’t comfortable with the QB’s on the roster then they could’ve signed Hoyer to compete with Geno for the starting job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tebow belongs on that list.

That move proved to me one of two things (or both):

1.  This organization has no clue.

2.  They think this fan base is absolutely retarded.

 

** Just noticed this was about mistakes since 2015.  Still, screw that Tebow move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slats said:

This is just Mac & Bowles biggest mistakes. The full of mistakes made by this franchise is available in encyclopedia form. 

Whoops.  Just noticed this was since 2015.

My bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, slats said:

No, in real time it was obvious stupidity. Fitzpatrick was constantly bailed out the year before by Marshall and Decker, making terrific catches out of fluttering ducks. There was no way that was sustainable, as Fitzpatrick's history prior to coming to the Jets clearly laid out. These guys are supposed to be professionals but, instead, they were duped by Fitz' dumb luck and the easiest schedule in the league. They were supposed to know better. I'm a drunk on a couch and I knew better. And even worse, they let the moronic dragged out negotiation tear the locker room apart before the season even began.  

People like to act like these decisions are made in a vacuum.  I would suggest that Macc did know Fitz was awful which is why he let him dangle out in the wind until 30 minutes before the first practice.  They were hoping another team would collect this turd before training camp.  

On the heels of mounting pressure from media and fans Macc finally relented and offered him a 1 year deal for about half of what top QB's were getting.  

It was a terrible mistake as Fitz is a putrid QB but your version of it makes it appear as if it's worse than it was.  Macc was not hoping to secure Fitzpatricks services one second longer than he had to.  There was no negotiation..  Macc made him a lowball multi year offer commensurate with his substandard level of ability and Fitz went and cried for more.

The irrational hatred of Geno from the fans and media criticism for not locking Fitz up had as much to do with the re-signing as anything.

GM's and coaches don't have job security..  Fans whining and the medias condemnation matters. especially in NY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Not sure why, the guy set records for us the year before, we won 10 games, he was not paid outrageously even after the hold out.  We had no other good alternatives.  It made total sense to reup the guy you had so much success with the year before.

Strongly disagree.  He was paid outrageously.  Signing him made sense.  Signing him for $12M, letting him hold us hostage, waiting until after camp?  All part of one of our biggest mistakes.  Not Hackenberg bad, but bad nonetheless.  I actually mentioned extending him during 2015 for $6-8M.  That made sense.  What we did?  Mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pac said:

People like to act like these decisions are made in a vacuum.  I would suggest that Macc did know Fitz was awful which is why he let him dangle out in the wind until 30 minutes before the first practice.  They were hoping another team would collect this turd before training camp.  

On the heels of mounting pressure from media and fans Macc finally relented and offered him a 1 year deal for about half of what top QB's were getting.  

It was a terrible mistake as Fitz is a putrid QB but your version of it makes it appear as if it's worse than it was.  Macc was not hoping to secure Fitzpatricks services one second longer than he had to.  There was no negotiation..  Macc made him a lowball multi year offer commensurate with his substandard level of ability and Fitz went and cried for more.

The irrational hatred of Geno from the fans and media criticism for not locking Fitz up had as much to do with the re-signing as anything.

GM's and coaches don't have job security..  Fans whining and the medias condemnation matters. especially in NY.

There's no chance he wanted someone else to sign Fitz at that late date. By that point, he'd already, stupidly, painted himself into a corner.

Fitz had no other offers, none. There was a rumor that Denver may have offered $7M for one season. That's it. Practically doubling that when Fitz' only other option was to sit home and hope another QB would get hurt was beyond idiotic. And really, again, it never should've gotten that far. He never should've allowed himself to be in that position. There were Hoyers and McCowns available at a fraction of that selfish noodle-arm's cost. He should've given Fitz a take it or leave it offer then signed one of those other guys if he continued to dig his heels in. Done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Re-signing Ryan Fitzpatrick was in no way shape or forum a mistake unless you are the ultimate hind sighter.

Not so fast Beerfish. I actually REPOSTED from that June of 2015 that we should forget Fitz & sign the recently cut NICK FOLES instead for WAY LESS MONEY. Hindsight for me is just fine. I could not believe we were letting ourselves be held hostage by RYAN FITZPATRICK....SO F*CKING JETSY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Not sure why, the guy set records for us the year before, we won 10 games, he was not paid outrageously even after the hold out.  We had no other good alternatives.  It made total sense to reup the guy you had so much success with the year before.

2

The myth of Fitz. One record, he set one record. Breaking the record for the number of TD passes in a season shared by Joe Namath and Mark Sanchez. That's way more about the low bar that is the history of Jets' QBs than any greatness Fitz achieved against the easiest schedule in the league that year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slats said:

No, in real time it was obvious stupidity. Fitzpatrick was constantly bailed out the year before by Marshall and Decker, making terrific catches out of fluttering ducks. There was no way that was sustainable, as Fitzpatrick's history prior to coming to the Jets clearly laid out. These guys are supposed to be professionals but, instead, they were duped by Fitz' dumb luck and the easiest schedule in the league. They were supposed to know better. I'm a drunk on a couch and I knew better. And even worse, they let the moronic dragged out negotiation tear the locker room apart before the season even began.  

All of this is true, but I'm still not sure what choice they had.  From a fans perspective, we have no real consequences.  But, could you imagine going from 10-6 to 5-11 or worse, while leaving the QB of the 10-6 team on the sidelines?  The move cost us literally nothing except a few more of Woody Johnson's dollars.  I don't think you can blame them, in that circumstance, for not running Geno Smith and/or Bryce Petty out there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Pac said:

People like to act like these decisions are made in a vacuum.  I would suggest that Macc did know Fitz was awful which is why he let him dangle out in the wind until 30 minutes before the first practice.  They were hoping another team would collect this turd before training camp.  

On the heels of mounting pressure from media and fans Macc finally relented and offered him a 1 year deal for about half of what top QB's were getting.  

It was a terrible mistake as Fitz is a putrid QB but your version of it makes it appear as if it's worse than it was.  Macc was not hoping to secure Fitzpatricks services one second longer than he had to.  There was no negotiation..  Macc made him a lowball multi year offer commensurate with his substandard level of ability and Fitz went and cried for more.

The irrational hatred of Geno from the fans and media criticism for not locking Fitz up had as much to do with the re-signing as anything.

GM's and coaches don't have job security..  Fans whining and the medias condemnation matters. especially in NY.

Heh? He tried to lock Fitz up @ 3/$24m and Fitz turned it down 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  


×