Mayock's 2018 Position rankings

MDL_JET

The combine means absolutely nothing they say, so then why does these grades always change after that event .  How fast a person runs, how high they jump and how much they lift in shorts during these 4 days makes what they showed on the football field almost null and void . 

33 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The combine means absolutely nothing they say, so then why does these grades always change after that event .  How fast a person runs, how high they jump and how much they lift in shorts during these 4 days makes what they showed on the football field almost null and void . 

I think certain things matter. And other things don't. 40 means a lot more for WRs and RBs. But i don't think teams are pushing guys all the way down for a weak broad jump. 

Feel like most of it just confirms things but rarely makes them change their tune entirely. 

A little surprised he has Allen over Rosen but not surprised he has them all in front of Mayfield.  I wouldnt be shocked to see Rudolph and Jackson rise and Mayfield fall out of the top 5 altogether to be honest but we all know I'm not high on Mayfield.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:51 AM, JiF said:

A little surprised he has Allen over Rosen but not surprised he has them all in front of Mayfield.  I wouldnt be shocked to see Rudolph and Jackson rise and Mayfield fall out of the top 5 altogether to be honest but we all know I'm not high on Mayfield.

I'm not.  Rosen is falling in a lot of people's eyes.  He may throw a nice ball, but he's fragile, immobile and not a great teammate.

On 2/15/2018 at 1:07 PM, Tinstar said:

I remember Parcells always saying ... "Show me game tapes of him" . So many "workout warriors" never make it.

1 hour ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I'm not.  Rosen is falling in a lot of people's eyes.  He may throw a nice ball, but he's fragile, immobile and not a great teammate.

I have a strong gut feeling that Rosen is a head case. I can see him walking away from a team at anytime. If I were a team thinking of drafting him I'd spend a TON of time interviewing him. Finding out what makes him tick.

I like the combine for the simple fact fact that you get to see guys in drills and get to compare some of their traits.

DBs you can see if they look fluid or stiff, wrs on if they are smooth  and are hands catchers.

QB's you get to see them throw and compare.  Last year I was starting to buy the whole Deshaun watson throws slow bit but then after viewing the combine drills, his passes had just as much zip as most others and he was more accurate than some of the other touted guys.

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I have a strong gut feeling that Rosen is a head case. I can see him walking away from a team at anytime. If I were a team thinking of drafting him I'd spend a TON of time interviewing him. Finding out what makes him tick.

The more I hear about Rosen the more I like all the others.  Originally I wasn't high on Mayfield, but his teammates rally around him, not so with Rosen. 

2 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

The more I hear about Rosen the more I like all the others.  Originally I wasn't high on Mayfield, but his teammates rally around him, not so with Rosen. 

Exactly. There's just "something" about him.

20 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Rosen might hold out, but I don't think he'd walk away. Darnold is the one who might decide he'd rather surf than play football.

Good article on Jackson.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/2/20/16928908/lamar-jackson-quarterback-wide-receiver

I love this part:

Here are two sets of statistics:

• Player A: 59.1 percent completion, 3,660 yards, 27 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 8.7 adjusted yards per attempt, 1,601 yards rushing, and 18 rushing touchdowns in a Power 5 conference.
  • Player B: 56.3 percent completion, 1,812 yards, 16 touchdowns, six interceptions, 6.9 adjusted yards per attempt, 204 yards rushing, and five rushing touchdowns in Group of 5 conference.

You would pick Player A over Player B without hesitation. Player A is Jackson, whom the Anonymous Scout types say should be moved to receiver, while Player B is Josh Allen, who is projected by Mel Kiper at No. 1 overall.

19 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Good article on Jackson.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/2/20/16928908/lamar-jackson-quarterback-wide-receiver

I love this part:

Here are two sets of statistics:

• Player A: 59.1 percent completion, 3,660 yards, 27 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 8.7 adjusted yards per attempt, 1,601 yards rushing, and 18 rushing touchdowns in a Power 5 conference.
  • Player B: 56.3 percent completion, 1,812 yards, 16 touchdowns, six interceptions, 6.9 adjusted yards per attempt, 204 yards rushing, and five rushing touchdowns in Group of 5 conference.

You would pick Player A over Player B without hesitation. Player A is Jackson, whom the Anonymous Scout types say should be moved to receiver, while Player B is Josh Allen, who is projected by Mel Kiper at No. 1 overall.

The more I watch him and read about him....i'm starting to be all in on the Jackson bandwagon. I love his attitude and think he'd actually be a great fit for the Jets offense and the west coast style they run. I'd hold my breath every time he takes off but hey.

29 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

The two guys who meet Parcells criteria for a QB are Mayfield and Rudolph.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Why doesn't Jackson meet the Parcell's criteria?

Someone pointed out to me that whenever you select a QB near the top of the draft, there is the potential that he will be a bust, and that every QB in most drafts is worthless if he is a bust. But that Jackson, however, is an exception to this rule. Even if he is not a good every down QB, he at least has the chance to be able to contribute as a wildcat package QB, slot WR, or return man. In some ways, he is the least riskiest  of the picks because his bottom as a useful part to your football team is much higher than any of the other QBs.

I'm not saying that this is the reason he should be picked, but I thought it was an interesting observation.

Someone pointed out to me that whenever you select a QB near the top of the draft, there is the potential that he will be a bust, and that every QB in most drafts is worthless if he is a bust. But that Jackson, however, is an exception to this rule. Even if he is not a good every down QB, he at least has the chance to be able to contribute as a wildcat package QB, slot WR, or return man. In some ways, he is the least riskiest  of the picks because his bottom as a useful part to your football team is much higher than any of the other QBs.
I'm not saying that this is the reason he should be picked, but I thought it was an interesting observation.

I’m trying to remember all of them but it was three year starter, graduated, over a 60% completion percentage, a TD to interception ratio of _______ .

Be a three-year starter
Be a senior in college
Graduate from college
Start 30 games
Win 23 games
Post a 2:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio
Compete at least 60-percent of passes thrown

2 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

I’m trying to remember all of them but it was three year starter, graduated, over a 60% completion percentage, a TD to interception ratio of _______ .

I found an article that applied the BP criteria to the 2018 QBs

https://www.ndtscouting.com/marino-applying-bill-parcells-rules-drafting-qb-2018-class/

That criteria is as follows:

1. Be a three-year starter
  2. Be a senior in college
  3. Graduate from college
  4. Start 30 games
  5. Win 23 games
  6. Post a 2:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio
  7. Compete at least 60-percent of passes thrown

2 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

Be a three-year starter
Be a senior in college
Graduate from college
Start 30 games
Win 23 games
Post a 2:1 touchdown-to-interception ratio
Compete at least 60-percent of passes thrown

Final Tally

• 7/7 – Mayfield, Rudolph
  • 4/7 – Jackson
  • 3/7 – Allen, Rosen
  • 2/7 – Darnold

I would note that Lamar Jackson is only 4/7 because he is a junior, not a senior, and obviously will not be graduating. So, that takes 2 away from him. Personally, I'd give him the 2 and score him 6/7 if he had decent grades and was on track to graduate next year.

Lamar Jackson, Louisville

• 3 years as starter? Yes – 3
  • Is he a senior? No
  • Did he graduate? No
  • Did he start 30 games? Yes – 34
  • Did he win 23 games? Yes – 24
  • TD:INT ratio at least 2:1? Yes – 69:27
  • Completion percentage over 60?  No – 57%

4/7 criteria met

Lamar Jackson

https://247sports.com/Article/How-Lamar-Jackson-went-from-struggling-student-to-Heisman-conten-47448027

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2662128-the-education-of-lamar-jackson-how-louisville-qb-went-from-project-to-superstar

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/college-football/boynton-beach-alum-lamar-jackson-coming-hard-for-title-next-fall/FiWyyMtSicScgg6xv8deoJ/

https://www.theshadowleague.com/story/why-is-lamar-jackson-getting-snubbed-in-mock-drafts

On tape Petrino saw the athleticism and the runs – but, per those familiar with Jackson's recruitment, he did not see a quarterback. 

To convince Petrino, Thomas told Jackson to make an alteration to his junior highlight tape. Instead of showcasing Jackson’s dynamic carries, the new film put on display Jackson’s arm talent, including a 70-yard heave.

Thomas showed Petrino the newly mixed film.

After watching for a few minutes Petrino asked Thomas, “Who the heck is that?”

He saw a different quarterback.

“I don’t think they realized how good he was, but Lamar Thomas kept calling him “the best athlete I’ve ever seen,” Swain said.

“Then Louisville got all over him.”

Jackson fell in love with what another South Florida quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater, did with the Cardinals under a different regime and committed on Aug. 30, 2014 before the start of his senior season.

On 2/15/2018 at 1:44 PM, MDL_JET said:

I think certain things matter. And other things don't. 40 means a lot more for WRs and RBs. But i don't think teams are pushing guys all the way down for a weak broad jump. 

Feel like most of it just confirms things but rarely makes them change their tune entirely. 

the most important things that happen at the combine happen behind closed doors. When Rueben Foster fails his piss test. The Dr's exams. The interviews. The talking with the agent to see how hard player X is going to be to sign etc.  

These guys all had injuries in college and they didn't get Dr. James Andrews to do the fix 

sometimes they find stuff that no one knows about like life threatening thyroid conditions 

The combine helps you sleep at night with a decision you make on a player vs. another player: 10 more reps, bigger hand, longer broad jump, higher wunderlich. It can also be an eye opener as it was for Deshaun Watson.

On 2/15/2018 at 1:07 PM, Tinstar said:

I know, it's insane.  Like Parcells always said.... "show me his game film". That's all that should count.

On 2/15/2018 at 1:44 PM, MDL_JET said:

Agreed !  would think the interviews they conduct with the players would mean a lot more. What kind of character is this guy? What makes him tick?

4 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I know, it's insane.  Like Parcells always said.... "show me his game film". That's all that should count.

Noted draft guru, Bill Parcells.  Farrior, Rick Terry, Dorian Boose, Scott Frost!  Perennial QB expert! Scott Bruner over Phil Simms.  Dave Brown and Kent Graham over Jeff Hostetler.  Pennington in the 1st over Bulger or Brady in the 6th! Quincy Carter, Drew Henson, 48 year old Drew Bledsoe and 97 year old Vinny Testaverde over Tony Romo!

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Noted draft guru, Bill Parcells.  Farrior, Rick Terry, Dorian Boose, Scott Frost!  Perennial QB expert! Scott Bruner over Phil Simms.  Dave Brown and Kent Graham over Jeff Hostetler.  Pennington in the 1st over Bulger or Brady in the 6th! Quincy Carter, Drew Henson, 48 year old Drew Bledsoe and 97 year old Vinny Testaverde over Tony Romo!

You're missing the point. BTW: HOW many times was Cindy passed over before the Pats grabbed him ? ANYBODY can play MMQB.

Archived