FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allen Robinson tore his ACL in Week 1, wiping out his 2017 season. The dynamic No. 1 receiver said his recovery is on track. 

"It's coming along smoothly," Robinson said, via the team's official website. "It's patience with everything. I wish I could just wake up tomorrow and feel like I did Sept. 9, but I understand it's going to be a process to get back to that standpoint. I know I'll be back to that point and better; that's something that I definitely know. 

"It's just a process, but I'm on my way. I'm probably about halfway there, so I've got to continue to get better." 

Robinson said he plans to be able to pass a physical required for a new contract in March. 

"Everybody knows the plays I'm capable of making and being 24 years old, I'm expected to make a 100 percent recovery," he said, per The Florida Times-Union. "I know I'll be at 100 percent relatively soon." 

With Robinson out, Blake Bortles helped lead Jacksonville to the conference championship game throwing to Marqise Lee, Keelan Cole, Allen Hurns and Dede Westbrook. None of Bortles' pass catchers earned 750 receiving yards this season. 

Robinson's health could play a role in the Jags' offseason plans. Last summer the team's moves hinted at keeping the franchise tag available for Robinson -- picking up Blake Bortles' fifth-year option and signing center Brandon Linder to a new contract. 

The dynamic receiver said he's not worried about the injury hurting his future with the Jags. 

"I don't really concern myself too much with that," Robinson said. "This is where I've been the last four years and this is something that we've all put in and tried to build. It isn't something that we just came into and it happened. It was something that was a constant build and we're continuing to build. I stepped in Day 1 and it's a lot different than it is now. 

"I know if I'm back here next year they know what I bring to the table. I'm going to work as hard as I've ever worked to be able to make those plays that I made before -- and more plays." 

The Jags could tag Robinson to see how their top receiver returns from the knee injury, delaying a long-term pact at least a year. If a multiyear deal is done, it could look similar to the new contract Davante Adams signed in Green Bay: four years for $58 million, $18 million guaranteed. 

"I would say it definitely [got my attention]," Robinson said of Adams' deal. 

For now, Robinson's attention is on getting healthy and rooting on his teammates as they travel to Foxborough to take on the vaunted Patriots.

Bridgewater at a fair price is a great move, if they don't get Cousins.  Doesn't make them seem too desperate in the draft - so they don't get raked over the coals.  But they sitll need to take a QB no later than 6 and give away whatever it takes to get there.

Sign Teddy Football and draft Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield - I prefer that better than giving Cousins $35mm a year.

'Backer could be a goner: The Jets could be in the market for a new middle linebacker. Demario Davis, a pending free agent, is seeking $8-10 million a year, according to sources, and there's no way he'll get that much from the Jets.

Davis changed agents recently, thinking it would help his chances of landing a monster deal, but he needs to adjust his expectations. Yes, he played well last season, but he's a 29-year-old linebacker heading into a buyer's market. No team will meet his asking price. The Jets see him in the $3-4 million range, so we're talking about a considerable gap.

If he doesn't bend, the Jets are prepared to move on. Other options include Nigel Bradham, Avery Williamson, Anthony Hitchens, Tahir Whitehead and Paul Posluszny.

23 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Could do worse than bridgewater and he is still young. Besides the health question, I’m not sure how his arm strength will play in the northeast. Reminds me of a Pennington-type player.

obviously theres concerns about him and I agree about his arm, but I'd love to take a chance on him with a top 10 pick in the fold in case he gets outplayed/can't hack it (no pun intended). Would quit the Jets if we gave Keenum Cousins money

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Teddy Bridgewater + Allen Robinson = instant improved offense. 

Assuming they aren't both riding rehab bikes on Sundays.  Probably a risk worth taking but we can't cry if it goes bad then.

Bridgewater should be plan D, the guy has not played in 2 years, we have no clue about him at all.

Also Allen Robinson has done dick all for2 years.  Last year was the injury but he just sucked the year before.

We are scrambling to  go after guys that have done zero in 2 years?

Just now, Beerfish said:

Bridgewater should be plan D, the guy has not played in 2 years, we have no clue about him at all.

Also Allen Robinson has done dick all for2 years.  Last year was the injury but he just sucked the year before.

He's been playing with the worst QB in the league. He has#1 Wr talent. Is he perfect, no. But perfect Wr's don't come on the market. If we don't sign cousins we'll have money to burn.

He's young and worth the risk.

28 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Assuming they aren't both riding rehab bikes on Sundays.  Probably a risk worth taking but we can't cry if it goes bad then.

Bridgewater would be a placeholder for whoever else we draft. I doubt/hope that macc wouldn't sign him to be the long term answer. 

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The team was 3-13 that year. Still came away with 800 yards and 6 TDs. And only 24. Yeah i'll take him any day. Let me know when someone better shows up on the market. Either way, if he hated playing with Bortles, he's definitely not coming here.

4 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Mayfield would be one of the best case scenarios for the Jets. Such a lazy comparison. Mayfield has a really live arm, is accurate, and loves football. Could care less about the conservative fans that think he needs to stay in line. He's going to be great because of who he is. Even the former QBs at the combine couldn't believe how live his arm is. He's also the most accurate QB in the draft. His arm strength is better than Brees' arm strength. 

Mayfield got his numbers from playing crappy defenses in the big 10 while having an all-world OL and excellent WRs.  Yes he’s a friggin headcase like Manziel maybe he doesn’t do coke but besides that he’s every bit as much of a partier.  If you think I’m a conservative sorry I would prefer my starting qb to not be running on foot from the police

It’s amazing people like you murder Sam Darnold for playing for USC — who was the last good QB to come out of the Big 10?  

13 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

The team was 3-13 that year. Still came away with 800 yards and 6 TDs. And only 24. Yeah i'll take him any day. Let me know when someone better shows up on the market. Either way, if he hated playing with Bortles, he's definitely not coming here.

If Hack wants to help slightly justify his selection we will help us recruit his former teammate AR-15! I think he goes to a team with a QB, maybe tries to catch on in Indy to go against the Jags.

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

D as in I’m done watching the jets

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Bridgewater at a fair price is a great move, if they don't get Cousins.  Doesn't make them seem too desperate in the draft - so they don't get raked over the coals.  But they sitll need to take a QB no later than 6 and give away whatever it takes to get there.

Sign Teddy Football and draft Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield - I prefer that better than giving Cousins $35mm a year.

Bridgewater would be gay.  He was never good and literally has one leg 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Mayfield got his numbers from playing crappy defenses in the big 10.  Yes he’s a friggin headcase like Manziel maybe he doesn’t do coke but besides that he’s every bit as much of a partier

He got big numbers playing in that conference but I haven't seen evidence beyond the arrest last year that he partied the way Johnny did. I think they are both played the college jock roll well but it seems like work ethic was an issue with Manziel where that doesn't appear to be the case with Mayfield.

Mayfield seems to love football and it will make him famous where as Manziel seemed to love being famous and used football as a way to achieve that. That's how I saw it at least.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

'Backer could be a goner: The Jets could be in the market for a new middle linebacker. Demario Davis, a pending free agent, is seeking $8-10 million a year, according to sources, and there's no way he'll get that much from the Jets.

Davis changed agents recently, thinking it would help his chances of landing a monster deal, but he needs to adjust his expectations. Yes, he played well last season, but he's a 29-year-old linebacker heading into a buyer's market. No team will meet his asking price. The Jets see him in the $3-4 million range, so we're talking about a considerable gap.

If he doesn't bend, the Jets are prepared to move on. Other options include Nigel Bradham, Avery Williamson, Anthony Hitchens, Tahir Whitehead and Paul Posluszny.

GIVE ME THE POSLUSZNY!!!!

10 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

He got big numbers playing in that conference but I haven't seen evidence beyond the arrest last year that he partied the way Johnny did. I think they are both played the college jock roll well but it seems like work ethic was an issue with Manziel where that doesn't appear to be the case with Mayfield.

Mayfield seems to love football and it will make him famous where as Manziel seemed to love being famous and used football as a way to achieve that. That's how I saw it at least.

Manziel loved football too and was basically the same story as Mayfield only he wasn’t a walk on.  They do have similar game anyone denying it is being an apologist.  Big 10 QBs: RG3, Bryce Petty, Vince Young, Geno Smith, Ryan Tannehill and Landry Jones.

Arguably the best qb to come out of the Big 10 in the last 15 years is Andy friggin Dalton.  The teams in that conference don’t play defense and all the qbs play shotgun spread one read offenses like your boy Baker Mayfield 

17 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Manziel loved football too and was basically the same story as Mayfield only he wasn’t a walk on.  They do have similar game anyone denying it is being an apologist.  Big 10 QBs: RG3, Bryce Petty, Vince Young, Geno Smith, Ryan Tannehill and Landry Jones.

Arguably the best qb to come out of the Big 10 in the last 15 years is Andy friggin Dalton.  The teams in that conference don’t play defense and all the qbs play shotgun spread one read offenses like your boy Baker Mayfield 

You realize not a single one of these QBs played in the Big Ten, right? Your argument might be more convincing if you knew enough about college football to get the conferences right.

Demario says the talk of him wanting 8-10 is not true.

https://twitter.com/demario__davis/status/970425792894242818?s=21

Demario Davis #56Verified account @demario__davis

Fake news all the way around. But understand this, just being in the conversation with the best lb’s isn’t good enough for me. I’m here for that #1 spot, period. So if it’s not out my mouth, it’s just rumors!

I was worried for the longest time that the Jets would go after Cousins. He's not a very good QB, ultra average of you're asking me and a guy that never gets you beyond like 10 wins. However, now it seems pretty clear to me Cousins should go to a team that is ready to win it all. Getting the most money should not be his main interest. The Jets are not even close to contending, so IMO he'll go to either Minnesota or Denver. Both of those teams are ready to win it all and just lack a decent QB. The Jets are terrible. 5-11 should not look enticing to Cousins, especially when he needs to consider the Jets OL is the main reason why they've been so bad on offense.

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I'm not denying their games, they are pretty close. I thought Manziel was more of a runner than Mayfield but they both have a backyard football style to their game. I'm just of the opinion that Baker is the better QB.

Most QBs in college play shotgun and are 1 read QBs, there are plenty of situations where Baker moved to his 2nd or 3rd options. Darnold was in the shotgun just as much as Baker was, I'm not sure that matters much anymore. The majority of plays are run out of the shotgun in the NFL, the only time we see QBs under center anymore is for a run play or play action.

Shotgun vs Under Center

Archived