FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

I like that they are targeting young, talented kids.  It is different from a couple years ago where they signed a bunch of vets with little left in the tank.

The key thing to remember when all these contract details come out, is the Jets have a ****load of cap space that they won't be able to spend.  If they are smart they are utilizing the cap space this year to structure the deals so that it will be easy to cut these guys after year 1/2 if it does not work out without significant cap ramifications. 

This was the plan.  Clear up the cap, get some high picks, and develop a good young team.  Its a good plan.  The question is whether they have the ability to execute. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

$100M in cap space with at least two future stars at QB, and our offense will be McCown and Teddy Bridgewater handing the ball off to Crowell on 1st and 2nd down followed by a 6 yard incompletion to Kearse on 3rd and 8.

Sorry, my expectations were Josh Rosen and Allen Robinson bringing back the Jets offense of the 1980’s.  If not in 2018, soon after.

So yeah, a lot of us are going to be incredible disappointed.  Again.  

I would venture to say nearly every Jet fan in existence (not just on this board) wants that.  I think as a united group, we would rather see us take a QB (any of the top-4 regardless of how we feel about them individually) and risk failure, then not even try.  This team is as much on the precipice of energizing or losing its fanbase as ever in their history.  And IMO, a smart owner and GM would recognize that and make it a priority to consider the fan sentiment this one time, rather than stick to the perpetual narrative of "we believe in BPA and it happened to be a defensive player again this year".  

In the past 3 years, we have seen PHI, LAR, HOU and KC trade up (in most cases with a LOT of assets to do so) to draft a QB.  Of those four teams, all four (that's 100% inclusion) would do it again without blinking.  This shouldn't even be a debate in Florham Park.  Either trade up or make sure its so damned expensive to do so that nobody below us can even afford to.  If one of them burns 3 first round picks plus 2 2nd rounders and more to do so, then so be it, but if ARI, BUF or MIA trades up at what is considered 'the going rate' and we stand pat and end up with Chubb, then it would be an indisputable failure on the part of this front office with no room for excuses. 

Disappointment?  I would say the reaction will be far worse than that.  I think it will make what happened with Idzik look like a parade down Broadway and it should.

1 minute ago, Leafman101 said:

I like that they are targeting young, talented kids.  It is different from a couple years ago where they signed a bunch of vets with little left in the tank.

The key thing to remember when all these contract details come out, is the Jets have a ****load of cap space that they won't be able to spend.  If they are smart they are utilizing the cap space this year to structure the deals so that it will be easy to cut these guys after year 1/2 if it does not work out without significant cap ramifications. 

This was the plan.  Clear up the cap, get some high picks, and develop a good young team.  Its a good plan.  The question is whether they have the ability to execute. 

I really don't think our team plans were the same in 2015 off season as it is this year. The only similarity is the amount of cap space. It seemed clear as day that the Jets were going all in while they had their core 4. This year a rookie QB seems imminent.

12 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don’t even know how to respond to your posts anymore. You’re a nice guy, but I think you may want to consider the fact that you’ve become Whofan’s Bert to his Ernie, and you should ask yourself if that’s the type of person you really want to be in this world.

C60167F3-AB46-4F9F-8BD8-0B5A7941FA9A.jpeg

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

NARRATOR (In fact, the Jets weren’t filling holes)

Most would go with James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman here, but when I think of the Jets' turd-filled braintrust, it's Gilbert Godfrey. 

7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Super- Bowl babbbbbby

Bob Wischusen is in a Days Inn bathroom somewhere to wrok a crappy NIT game  with a $3 tranny whore, having meth and Jack for breakfast. Did the check from the Jets' broadcast deal clear yet? 

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

That would be the perfect scenario. If we could add in a Honey Badget acquisition that would be splendid and pretty much complete the defense

11 safeties! F__ that, 22 SAFETIES! AND THE PUNTER AND KICKER, SAFETIES!

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah saw that before. Honestly @ C - I'll take either one. Just don't trot out Wesley Johnson again.

Eifert is a great low risk high reward gamble if they're really in on that.

Jones would be a beautiful compliment to Leo.  All for it.

Definitely want Claiborne back as CB2. 

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Bob Wischusen is in a Days Inn bathroom somewhere to wrok a crappy NIT game  with a $3 tranny whore, having meth and Jack for breakfast. Did the check from the Jets' broadcast deal clear yet? 

Wow! Sounds like a great time. Good for Bob! 

29 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think Teddy was just precautionary measures given the amount of money dedicated on the one year deal.

To be honest, that signing was made to appease a fan base that went into the day with the expectation of having a competent offense.  After being denied Cousins, Robinson, and Norwell, the FO made that move without regard to if the guy can play.  

It doesn’t answer any questions or solve anything right now.  But it can occupy a rabid fan base that can go back and look at 2014 film and think maybe he’s a lot better now.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Macc has really turned this around.

The only dark cloud now is the insane report that Mccown has already been named the starter.

Bowles always gives the incumbent the nod to start training camp.  He even did it with Geno in 2015.  If Teddy is close, my guess is he starts. Their money is basically equal unless McCown outright wins the job and hits his incentives.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah saw that before. Honestly @ C - I'll take either one. Just don't trot out Wesley Johnson again.

Eifert is a great low risk high reward gamble if they're really in on that.

Jones would be a beautiful compliment to Leo.  All for it.

Definitely want Claiborne back as CB2. 

No doubt. Just get a replacement level body at center and it’s already improved tenfold. That’s one position I’d still draft with one of the seconds, to boot. Long has also played guard in the past.

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

To be honest, that signing was made to appease a fan base that went into the day with the expectation of having a competent offense.  After being denied Cousins, Robinson, and Norwell, the FO made that move without regard to if the guy can play.  

It doesn’t answer any questions or solve anything right now.  But it can occupy a rabid fan base that can go back and look at 2014 film and think maybe he’s a lot better now.

It was a smart move. Teddy is a positive influence in the locker room and was an ascending player before his catastrophic injury. No reason not to take a 1 year $5 million flyer on the guy. You never know.

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

No offense, but none of this is true.  Teddy was always in the picture as a guy we wanted to take a chance on.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Browns signing Hyde makes me think they're going to trade that 4th pick.  We'd be perfect for that seeing as how high they supposedly are on Minkah Fitzpatrick. 

Hard to see them taking Barkley at one now, IMO. This could be Allen’s spot, which would set off a chain reaction with Buffalo, the Giants, etc

Macc has really turned this around.
The only dark cloud now is the insane report that Mccown has already been named the starter.
Hopefully this doesn't become a massive story during TC although in Jets land it will.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Archived