FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

Lions released TE Eric Ebron.

The move had to be made today before 4 PM ET if the Lions were going to save his $8 million-plus salary from becoming guaranteed. They tried to trade the enigmatic tight end but were unsuccessful. Ebron will certainly have a market and hasn't yet turned 25. Lions fans have long held a grudge against Ebron after he failed to live up to his No. 10 overall pick draft status in 2014, especially since the Lions passed on LT Taylor Lewan, WR Odell Beckham, and DT Aaron Donald, who were selected consecutively at Nos. 11-13. The Lions now need a tight end.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Color me not-surprised. I remember arguing to the teeth with warfish and woodyallen (where are you?!) on how his hands and sloppy running style would torpedo him in the NFL... I to this day don't understand why many didn't see it that way as well (don't worry, i'm just as clueless with other players -- just saying with THIS particular one, I thought the flaws were sunny-day clear)

Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson)

3/14/18, 3:20 PM

TE Ed Dickson is expected to be on a plane for a visit with the #Seahawks later today, I'm told. More details after 4pm.

Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo)

3/14/18, 3:18 PM

They like Dickson. Could definitely see him landing there. twitter.com/rapsheet/statu…

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Ebron never lived up to his draft status, but he's more productive than Seferian-Jenkins:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16732/eric-ebron

He's been a bust in relation to where he was taken and who he was taken over but he'd be a huge upgrade for us. Considering the amount of cap space we have he should be a target.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He's been a bust in relation to where he was taken and who he was taken over but he'd be a huge upgrade for us. Considering the amount of cap space we have he should be a target.

Fck that! Cap space or no cap space, the problem is Ebron SUUUUUCKS. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Dianna Russini (@diannaESPN)

Former Jets linebacker Demario Davis expected to sign with the New Orleans Saints per source. Deal is 3 years, $24 million, $18 million in guaranteed

Good for him, great Jet, deserves the money he got. Saints defense got a lot better with this addition

3 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

We get it you're the genius who saw Ebron not living up to the hype, check the numbers he's been more productive than ASJ has ever been

cause he played more. And like others have said, being the 10th pick, DET did everything they could to get him the ball. Pre-2017 he was laughably bad.

Look, you're not gonna win this one. I'm a dickhead, yes. I don't know LBs that well, and have a piss poor eye for Oline talent... TEs though? We're gonna go at it tooth and nail. I promise you, Ebron is worse than whatever you think ASJ is.

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Former Jets linebacker Demario Davis expected to sign with the New Orleans Saints per source. Deal is 3 years, $24 million, $18 million in guaranteed

Good for him.  He's from the South so he'll be close to home

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Ebron is a no brainer.  Get him in here.  He is young and can still improve.

No. definitely no. it's a no-brainer, yes. 

Let's see if the NFL agrees with me. Let's compare contracts when they both sign. 

33 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I probably need to be walked through this. That still comes up short on Norwell’s salary alone IIRC. 

I'll try and go slow for you but I'm not petting your head....4MM + 30MM = 34MM guaranteed... which is more than 30MM guaranteed... which is more appealing especially front loaded the first two years i.e. 15.5MM > 13.5MM in year 1 and 2...a....  The excercise works for every player the Jets say they couldn't afford....so the $10MM on McCown was a ******* waste and could have been spent better on just about any or every free agent or combination of free agents...insert name here. You can allocate or subsidize that $10MM any which way back into the roster and it'd better spent. 

44 minutes ago, Pac said:

wah wah we suck!

awesome move!

Macc is awful!

Great signing!

FML!

Get the Honey Badger!

We don't need the Honey Badger!

Trumaine is the worst corner in the NFL!

Trumaine is awesome!

Long sucks!

Long is versatile!

We have the worst roster in the NFL!

over and over and over again...

EDIT - also about 160 "jokes" involving safeties where the poster thinks they're being creative 

F me for asking. I should have known, I blame no one but myself for this. haha

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Vilma’d 

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If he was drafted in the 5th round he'd be viewed differently. Many hate him because of his failure to live up to expectations. 

He's a lot like ASJ. 

maybe others, I don't like him cause he's not that good. He's the vernon gholston of TEs.  why pretend otherwise? He's nothing like ASJ

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

cause he played more. And like others have said, being the 10th pick, DET did everything they could to get him the ball. Pre-2017 he was laughably bad.

Look, you're not gonna win this one. I'm a dickhead, yes. I don't know LBs that well, and have a piss poor eye for Oline talent... TEs though? We're gonna go at it tooth and nail. I promise you, Ebron is worse than whatever you think ASJ is.

You should get a job with the Jets as their TE guy. Give me Ebron. At the very least it's a lateral move, your disdain for Ebron or ASJ crush (or a combo of both) is skewing your opinion. Ebron didn't live up to the hype but he's still young and has put up 3 straight years of 500+ yards, ASJ in the same time while playing hasn't eclipsed 400 yards and he played basically the whole year last year.

Archived