joewilly12

FREE AGENT NEWS

No surprise - Jets declined Ijalana's option.  Saves $4.6MM cap space.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Not Free Agent news -- but still news from around the league.  After watching that injury - as long as he can lead a normal life, the guy is ahead of the game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

One potential clever way for the jets to use their cap space is to do the NBA style of trade, where we take on a good player on a bad contract for a draft pick.   It would be like using cap space to buy a draft pick (Vinny Curry comes to mind).

That is exactly what the Browns did last year, taking on Brock Osweiler's contract from the Texans for a 2 in this year's draft, plus an exchange of a couple of other picks.

• Upvote 2

So, I am doing a mock on Facebook.  Representing the Jets.  We were going to start tomorrow, so this AM I struck a deal with the Giants to move up to 2.  The trade is final. Then, the guy running the mock decides he may push it back a week to see what happens in FA.

Now, I know we are getting Cousins.

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

Rotoworld is saying that Richardson wants $7 million per year.  What am I missing here???

That is not a lot of money for a player who is very talented.  Id pay that day 1 of FA and not think twice.  

10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Not a big fan of Richardson's as a person, and was glad to see him gone for a 2nd, but at $7 M that's a steal and I'd sign him quickly.

Paul Richardson.  Not Sheldon.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9545/paul-richardson

Free agent Paul Richardson hinted he was done in a Saturday social media post.
Richardson cryptically tweeted "one thing I do know is I had a ball in Seattle!" This implies Richardson's time in Seattle has likely come to an end. It was only a matter of time since Richardson is looking for $7 million per year on his next deal and the Seahawks reportedly won't pay more than $5.5 million annually to re-sign him. Without Richardson and Jimmy Graham, Seattle will enter free agency with roughly $30 million in cap space and the second-most available air yards from 2017's production. Mar 10 - 5:17 PM

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pcola said:

We’re paying Beachum, Winters, Skrine, and Carpenter around that this year.  $7M for Richardson is a steal.

Paul.  Not Sheldon.  Paul Richardson is the one asking for $7MM.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Quenton Nelson in play for the Giants at 2, now?  Or, maybe after a trade back to 6?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

at least he's not over 35, but that's where the happiness ends.

I would rather roll the dice on Bridgewater's health than roll with a 39 year old McCown.  If he can get/stay healthy at 25, Bridgewater could be a long term answer.  No more 35+ QBs, please.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Lith I didn't recognize you without the bulldog! 

I'm fine with Bridgewater and QB in the first. 

UGA was grad school.  Penn was undergrad.  Penn made the NCAAs.  Penn avatar stays until we lose.  So expect Uga to be back by Thursday afternoon -- after the Penn-Kansas game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

the problem is that mccagnan will convince himself he's struck untapped gold like he did when he took hack, and bypass qb in the first round.  

Bridgewater and a first rounder I can live with.  Bridgewater/Hack/Petty, not so much.

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

i knew this was his destination from day 1. 

So, does this mean we still have two more days before half the board accepts that he is not coming to us.  Or is reality finally setting in.  Its not just about who has the most money.

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is what happened to Cleveland last year when they had huge cap space and nobody wanted any of it. The Jets have no choice but to change the personnel up top. The franchise is an absolute desert right now and needs new leadership. 

This is how I am afraid the rest of the offseason will play out.  We are going to whiff on most big name FAs.  Over pay to sign a bunch of 2nd tier/career back-up types.  Send next year's one to Indy to move up to 3 and select Josh Allen.  Then go 2-14 behind a lousy rookie QB and a mediocre veteran. 

Macc/Bowles get fired.  And we have to try to hire a new coach/new GM with a lousy roster, limited cap space, no answer at QB and no first round pick.  Yeah, our future is bright.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

What is scary is that the two alternatives are:

Bowles/Maccagnan spend every nickel to put together a team that can win some games (the 2015 plan); or

Bowles/Maccagnan are assured they will be able to return in 2019 and continue the rebuild (It only started in 2017!?)

I guess there is a third opportunity, the tell them they are guaranteed to come back and then can them anyway (the 2014 plan) 

I like the 2014 plan.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

so what will change is that bridewater replaces petty and the draft pick replaces hack.  and mccown ushers them in for a year.

what draft pick.

Mccown - Bridge - Hack.  That is your depth chart.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

I guess Demario is out.   Is this guy any good?

10th ranked LB per PFF.  For whatever that is worth.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

So after a big swing and a miss on that dickhead Kirk, Mac has done a really nice job. I'd love to see us pick up Jensen and trade for Tyrann Matthieu.

I'd have a huge target on Matthieu if I was Mac, he's a game changer for this defense and removes Skrine from the picture.

Almost makes me feel bad for all the bitching and whining I did earlier today.  Almost.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I don't feel bad at all there's still some low key resentment but he can make it all go away with a few more signings. Let's start with Kyle Fuller and Ryan Jensen.

Fuller got the transition tag from the Bears -- he is not likely going anywhere.  But absolutely would love to see us close out the day with Jensen.  Would be a big win.

2 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Curious to see how much Jets have left after today. Still need Oline, TE and WR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would guess around $50mm.  We came in with $92mm according to Spotrac.  Mccown, Bridgewater and Johnson probably eat up about $30mm.  Another $10 or so for Crowell and Williamson would put us about $50mm.  

6 minutes ago, derp said:

Wonder how much room there is left. Would love another outside corner and Matthieu (cut Skrine) to ensure they don’t touch the secondary in the first. Probably need a DL but that can come pretty cheap. Wouldn’t hate Trent Murphy. Jensen seems like a must. Sign Pugh cut Carpenter. A TE (Eifert maybe if ASJ goes) and a WR (Moncrief?)

Then go out, get a franchise QB in the first, and draft offense offense offense (maybe a pass rusher mixed in). Is that too much to ask?

Probably. I can daydream though.

Moncrief is reportedly signing with Jax.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Signing mediocre McKinnon just means we won’t draft a back...again. This franchise is hopeless.

It may mean that Powell is on his way out--either in trade or outright cut.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not tongue in cheek at all. You’re talking about a coach that was starting Ryan Fitzpatrick in Week 17 when Fitzpatrick was literally the worst QB statistically in the league, and who would have started Josh McCown for all sixteen games last year if he didn’t get hurt. Bowles called McCown his most favorite player that he’s ever coached. It’s best if you just consider Teddy (still only 25 years old) the substitute for whatever QB you wanted to draft in Round One, because that’s how he’ll be handled. Which, honestly, isn’t the worst thing. It’s like drafting a rookie that’s already had a bunch of starts in the NFL and didn’t outright suck.

I think the Teddy signing just makes it that much less likely that we trade up.  Macc lets the draft come to him, and if a QB we like is there at 6, Teddy and Mccown are not going to prevent us from taking the guy.  Having the two guys under contract eliminates the desperation to trade up -- with Bridgewater being the young QB with upside, but significant question marks. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed, but I don’t think either Maccagnan nor Bowles have ever wanted any part of drafting a QB at six regardless, even before signing Teddy. Even if only superficially, yesterday’s signings give them the cover they need to go in a different direction. 

The problem is that we won too many games last year.  6 is a no man's land in the draft.  Either we sit put and get the 4th QB taken -- if we are lucky it is a guy we like, or we give up a boatolad of picks to move up, likely including next year's 1.  Bridgewater is a hedge to me if we don't get a guy at 6.  I still think we go QB at 6 if a guy we like is there.

At least it appears as if we are prepared to move on from Hack & Petty.

• Like 1

Just now, BigRy56 said:

I don’t love the Spencer Long signing. I know Jensen was only a 1 year starter but is there really no market for him? I feel like he’s the much better prospect

Hopefully we get a guy in the draft.  There are some solid Cs that should be around in R2: Price, Daniles, Ragnow, Clapp.  Not sure what is up with Jensen, but at least we have a C on the roster that is better than Wesley Johnson.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I am, generally, not a fan of how smug and arrogant Albright can be, but he's been on absolute fire this off-season with his sources.

I have discovered a new respect for Albright this offseason.  He has been dead on with a lot of his comments / tweets.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

C'mon! We've got the mother ******* 6th pick! If a team in the top 5 trades with the Jets, they can still get Barkley, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick. Cream of the crop players. Why would you seek a trade with the Bills for the 12th pick when you can get the 6th pick from the Jets? 

All depends on what a potential trading partner is looking for.  Do you want one of Miinkay/Chubb/Nelson (assuming Barkley will be gone), then you trade with us.  Or does a team trade back with Buffalo and come away with McGlinchey and Guice for example -- or any other pair of solid mid 1st guys.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

+1 Objectively speaking, I think they did good things at QB yesterday because it gives them flexibility. As you said, six is a bad spot because it puts them in range to *have to* draft whatever QB falls, and that’s just not the way you should pick your QBs. At the same time, it’s wicked expensive to go up and get the guy you might want. So, absolutely, cover your ass with Teddy and McCown in the likely event their guy goes ahead of their pick.

My worst offseason nightmare is that we trade up to 3 or 4, giving up next year's 1 in the process.  Teddy's knee doesn't hold up, McCown becomes the guy he was before last season, and our rookie QB is not ready or just not the player we thought he would be.  We finish 2-14 and Cle or Indy use our #1 overall pick next year.  It could still happen, but seems a bit less likely today than at this time yesterday.

• Like 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company