joewilly12

FREE AGENT NEWS

Bridgewater at a fair price is a great move, if they don't get Cousins.  Doesn't make them seem too desperate in the draft - so they don't get raked over the coals.  But they sitll need to take a QB no later than 6 and give away whatever it takes to get there.

Sign Teddy Football and draft Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield - I prefer that better than giving Cousins $35mm a year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

27 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Which the odds suggest is very very hard to accomplish. Let's go with something more realistic.

Not all that hard - at least 1/3 of the teams in the league have one.  It's not like hitting the lotto - 

It is 110% safe to say that the Bills are trading up.

Certainly seems like they’re going to try. Easier said than done. They need a trading partner.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

Albert Breer on NFlL Radio just stated the Jets have a very legitimate chance of signing Cousins. The legal period to contact free agents begins tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure Cousins will be a Jet - not happy about it, but it's happenning.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

From your mouth to gods ears! Signing Cousins for 5 years would allow us to go BPA in the draft with 3 picks in the top 49 players. Fill the holes in free agency. It's time the Jets start picking playmakers. Fixing the Oline, and drafting a stud like Guice or Jones, maybe trading a 3 to move up for Kirk to replace Kearse after next year. 

Seeing the Jets landing (Nelson, Ward, Edwards), (Guice, Michel, Jones), Kirk, I'm a happy Jet fan! You don't need super star WRs, if you have a good line, a great runner, a couple of good backup RBs (Dion Lewis, McGuire), a TE, Burton?, maybe draft Doekert?. 

If Enunwa comes back and you had Kearse, Anderson, Kirk, Stewart, Hansen, with one of Michel, Guice or Jones, with Cousins flinging it, you could have a damn good balanced offense. Anyone that saw the combine? Kirk was impressive as hell! Gonna be a good one, his hands were f*cking amazing in the gauntlet & was smooth as silk, great balance & awesome acceleration! 

And be mediocre for 5 years - I can understand this position of wanting Cousins - it's just not all that exciting and feels like the same move the Jets have been making for 15 years.

This will likely assure the Jets won't be a 5 win team - but probably also assures of not being an 11 win team either.  I want to roll the dice and get a legitmiate franchise QB...

But I get the idea of trying to simply be competitive.

Just now, SenorGato said:

It's the exact opposite of these two things

explain?

I see a veteran who's current team didn't want him (prefered Alex Smith) and a QB that has never won a playoff game - and has an overall losing record as a starter - and an abysmla record against winning teams.

Not particularly exciting to have that for 5 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

He is a top ten passer with a top 5 and top 7 season under his belt. That is the opposite of the QBs and players the Jets have fielded in 4+ decades, let alone 15 years.

Wasn't McCown on his way to a top 7 passer last year before injury - pacing at 4,000 yards?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

So what I should expect, don't even know why I'm asking, is that even when the Jets land Cousins and the consensus is wrong for like the 5th time already this offseason, JN will still find an angle to be miserable on? Even though the whole narrative has been about how all these forever winners want to pay him as much as they can to win and he's too good to come here - most will work really hard to sell the idea that this guy is mediocre? I already expect the least objective hot takes of the salary possibl, but that's going to come from everywhere as folks flock to protect the owners' money..

I have always believed he was coming here - because I always beleived we were prepared and positioned to pay him the most money.  

To your point - people will call Mac an idiot for overpaying him - that he really wanted to go to Denverr and MN. but the Jets offer was so ridiculousy over priced.  Our fans will find a way to blame whatever we do on Mac and the organization as a whole.

I don't want the guy as I think the opportunity cost of missing out on one of the top 4 in this draft is simply too big.  I want to start over and build a team from the ground up. not bring in a slightly above average free agent to simply make the team respectible.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Probably not and I don't understand the relevance - though it's interesting and in hindsight obvious that the Jets getting good performance from a QB has a negative spin. Even if true, McCown is almost literally a decade older and has never finished a season. How are these two even remotely comparable talents anywhere but here? 

It's relevant because people are using his numbers as the reason we should give him $150mm - and make him our franchise QB.  The point is - 38 year old never-has-beens (Jet or not) can put up big numbers in today's NFL.  4,000 yards is no longer a big deal.

When I point to Cousins wins and losses - I'm told they don't matter - because he throws for a lot of yards.  I'm just making the point that a lot of guys can throw for a lot of yards...doesn't make them franchise QB worthy. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Also, I know this is really hard to believe but the Jets literally had more talent on offense( healthier) than the Redskins did. Reed was injured all year, ASJ had a mini resurgence, Kearse was a stud & had one of the lowest drop rates in the NFL, Pryor was highest drop rate, Anderson had a breakout season & got better and added to his route tree as the year progressed, Dotson was meh, Crowder? Grant? 

Its actually amazing but true, but because of injuries McCown was working with more offensive talent than Cousins in 2017.

I think it's funny - Jet fans love to say how we have the least talent in the league - just the worst.  Until it suits the needs for something else - then we have superior talent. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Kirk isn’t coming here he going to Minnesota. But it’s gonna be funny watching fans bash Macc for not getting him . 

I honestly think he is coming - And you're going to see those same fans that would have bashed him for not getting him - bash him for paying him too much.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'm sure if he doesn't you'll remind us that you were THE ONE that knew he wasn't coming here. You'll slap yourself on the back & and proceed to tell us who the Jets are picking in the draft. No ones going to BASH Macc & I read all of these forums & haven't anyone make a claim that if Macc doesn't get Cousins he sucks as a GM. Most fans that want Cousins realize we'll still be in the running for a QB, it's just that we also know what a crapshoot a QB in the draft is. 

There's no way we draft a QB this year if they sign Cousins - zero chance.  

It does, although, allow you the time to prepare for the transition in 5 years - I just don't want to wallow in mediocrity for a half-decade before trying to find a true franchise QB. 

It seems to be plan though and I'll be 100% behind it once it's done.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'm sure if he doesn't you'll remind us that you were THE ONE that knew he wasn't coming here. You'll slap yourself on the back & and proceed to tell us who the Jets are picking in the draft. No ones going to BASH Macc & I read all of these forums & haven't anyone make a claim that if Macc doesn't get Cousins he sucks as a GM. Most fans that want Cousins realize we'll still be in the running for a QB, it's just that we also know what a crapshoot a QB in the draft is. 

That's just not true - well not only Mac directly, but certainly the Jets as an organization, talent level, coaching, ownderhsip etc.  Many, many people have stated the reason Cousins won't come here is because the organization is a mess - the leader of that organization is the GM.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Some fans won't be happy, I'm not one of them. There aren't even enough stud free agents to spend 90 million on. Front loading Cousins puts us in a great spot capwise again in 2019, and still allows us to sign a Center, CB, maybe Guard, WR, some lower level free agents this year.

I have no problem paying the guy the money - honestly, that's not the issue, at least for me -

it's the long-term committment to a losing QB and the opportunity cost of passing on someone in the next two or three years.

Just now, Jetster said:

You misunderstood my retort. If we don't get Cousins we have an opportunity to draft a QB at 6. Obviously if we sign Cousins we're not drafting another QB unless it was a late round flyer.

gotcha - I misunderstood! and I agree.

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I could see them taking a QB later in the draft. A project QB.

Maybe - next year---but I doubt this year.  Five years is a long time and I don't think they've given up on Hack yet.

15 hours ago, Jetster said:
So, your Macc & Bowles. 2 terrible losing seasons in a row. You've been given a 2 year contract extension. Kirk Cousins is available (definitely a top 10 QB in the league) you can disagree with that claim but no one on the NFL network, media & ex-players disputes that & most believe he's in the 2nd tier of franchise QBs behind Brady, Rogers, but with Stafford, Rivers ect.. You have the resources to sign him WITHOUT killing your salary cap or stifling your ability to still sign 3/4 top free agents.
Or, you take a flyer on a group of rookie QBs who's top 4 are flip flopped in every Mock on the web without any of them being a concensus #1 can't miss, Payton Manning, Andrew Luck, Cam Newton type. Your career is literally on the line, Cousins is a f*cking no brainer to ensure the likelihood Chris Johnson lets it play out for the 5 years of Kirks contract. I agree with others if his agent wants 3 years max? Tell him to go fly a kite & try to get Rosen or Mayfield.

So, and I’m sorry for asking, as I could certainly be reading this wrong - but your position is the Jets Should draft Cousins because it’s better for Mac and Bowles’s career? Regardless if it’s better for the organization.

I’m actually saying I believe they will draft him, but I believe that decision to be a mistake.
Mac and Bowles career longevity isn’t my objective.

1 hour ago, Stark said:

IMO. If  mccarron is the target then I think Mac may actually draft a top QB. 

I think if it's not Cousins they have to draft a QB at 6 or above - I honestly don't think he can survive anything other than that.

• Upvote 1

Two ways to look at giving a 3 year deal..

1) For the Jets to give him a 3 year deal they would be insane.  They have too much work to do to be ready to win in 3 years...Just throwing away good money.  Honestly, they would be officially throwing in the towel on trying to win a superbowl and basicaly acknowledging just being competitive is good enough.

or

2) They can sign Cousins and draft a QB next year - give said QB a chance to learn under a quality starter.  I don't think you can draft one high this year - as three years is too long to wait, but 2 years would work.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

seems the writing is on the wall here folks . He wants to be Viking his agent just gonna use everyone else just to assure they get the money and contract they want . 

I'm still not convinced - I say that only because I think the Jets are in so deep that they might offer him something that blows him out of the matter...Making him an offer he can't refuse.  

But it does seem like you're right though.

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I mean it doesn't necessarily mean he wants to bolt after the 3 years, just wants another chance to get one more big pay day. 

Get the guaranteed contract now for 3 years to show what you do for the team, if you elevate the team and things are looking great then he gets a huge extension. If things are going south, then he allows himself to still get out and i'm sure sign with another team desperate enough for a QB at that time. 

I hear ya, but you can't necessarily expect to keep him - you have to have a contingency plan.  I can't build a team around him necessarily because you can't be sure you'll have him back.  If he comes to the Jets - it does mean he was willing to go where the best money is - and that might not be the case in 3 years.  

But, as long as you are still willing to use a 1st on a QB next year - then I think it's fine though.  

35 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

That feels a lot like McCown had better stats than Cousins so why bother. He was more important to this team than his stats indicated IMO. We'll replace that 300 yards but Seattle will get a 25 year old TE on the rise. I hope I'm dead wrong but losing him and opening another hole over that little amount of money is a mistake. Not to mention how it looks to young players who want to get a new deal from the Jets. 

You would like to think our GM has a contingency plan - and is prepared to upgrade the position if we don't get him....ASJ at $4mm is fine but if he's going to spend $7mm he can do better (meaning that's what Mac could and should be thinking)

I, unlike most here, don't think Mac is an idiot or unprepared.  I think when this off-season is all said and done, if looked at objectively, Mac would have done a solid job. 

We'll have upgraded at OL, CB, RB, WR and we'll have one of the QB's (Cousins, Mayfield, Rosen, Allen, Darnold)

I believe all of that will happen, to what extent they will be "upgraded" I don't know - but I have little doubt he's going to get at least that much done.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is literally impossible not to upgrade at QB, C, CB, EDGE and TE.  We have no legitmate players under contract.  Even if you love Burris and Skrine, they need another CB, and while Jenkins is an NFL player,I believe the only other guy they have under contract is Martin.  They do not have a single player that can snap a football. 

So are you suggesting that it's also impossible for Mac to do a good job this off-season?

Obviously I meant from the roster last year - 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Reading my response, it seemed harsh in comparison to what you are saying.  IMO, he can do a good job, unfortunately he can also improve the team at all those positions and do a sh*tty job.  That is the danger in having all that money.  

Thank you...and yes, tons of variables here - and yes, tough not to make the team better, considering the money and last year's talent level - but I think there's enough quality out there in FA and he HAS to get the QB -

Once the draft is over - I honestly believe there will be a lot of excitement for the upcoming season (save a few haters) I think Mac is much better than poeple give him credit for.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Except Robinson and Eifert aren’t coming here unless Cousins is already signed and vise versa 

so...

Robinson and Eifert are going where they’re pad the most money.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i'm not disagreeing with you.  but based on what we know about him, if he's on the phone with indy's gm and the guy is telling mccags what the bills offer is, and if he'll up his offer, i just don't have faith that he's willing to part with the draft picks - especially, at that point, if it's for mayfield or allen, assuming darnold and rosen are gone.  i could easily see him bailing, buffalo getting allen, and then mccagnan praying that elway doesn't take mayfield.  or, maybe he can convince cleveland to go back 2 spots, take mayfield, but cleveland would have to assume that nobody is trading up for barkley with denver.

If Buffalo trades up - Jets miss-out on one of the 4 - end of discussion.  They simply can not allow that to happen.  Mac knows his job is on the line if he doesn't do it.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

anything is possible.  the giants may choose not to trade with the jets.  indy may want buffalo's 2 first round picks that the jets don't have.  cleveland may want barkely at 4 and that's that.  the jets are not in control here and that's their own fault.  it could well come down to whether elway takes mayfield or not.  imagine those 10 minutes on draft day.

His fault or not - he's out of a job.  

My guess - #6, both 2's and next years 1...that'll be about what it's going to take to go from 6 to 3.   Good thing we got that 5th win.  

Colts still get Chubb is think scenario.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, BrickTamland said:

What a puny offer. If we dont beat that...

Correct, the Jets could match that and they still get Chubb.  Get their cake and eat it too.

#6, both two's and next year's 3...they get all of that plus their player.  That's def. a better deal.  I sign up for that right now.

4 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

If you want a guy, you make an offer that won't be turned down. May end up being a lot but if you firmly believe he's THE guy, why you gonna let a team behind you jump ahead? That's BS to me. 

If the 4 do go before we pick though, you kind of have to pick Allen. Who else you going with? 2nd round guy? Jackson will probably go to a team in the middle of the draft. 

The Jets are in the drivers seat here - these reporters aren't really thinking it through - both of the Jets' 2's are higher than the Bill's and they're only moving down 3 spots - they'll lose out on Barkley but get the next best player they want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't think this is mccagnan, that's why we don't have wentz.

i think the draft pivots at 2.  i think a qb is going there, but will it be the giants or buffalo, and will it be rosen or allen?  truth, if rosen makes it to 3, i can see mccagnan being more aggressive than if it's mayfield vs. allen.  

Giants are taking a QB.  I have no problem if Buffalo moves to 2 - that means the Giants are out of the QB race and the competition to trade up becomes MUCH less...Jets could get away much cheaper moving to 3.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

if darnold/rosen go 1/2, then the bills may well be very aggressive in trading with indy.  i'll assume allen is the target.  so then the jets would have to convince the browns that they'd still get barkley at 6, or else cleveland takes barkley and the broncos have a layup to mayfield if they want it.

Yes....which is why the Jets can not let the Bill beat them out for the 3rd pick.  It's just not acceptable - at all.  

More than welcome to trade for the 2nd though. - Let's hope the Giants trade out with the Bills..better for us.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

i acknowledge the possibility that mccagnan gets shut out of the qb derby b/c he's too cheap.

I don't buy it.  I think Mac knows his job is on the line - I really don't think he loses out on one of the 4. 

Honestly, if he doesn't come away with one of those 4 I'm not even sure he gets through the season - in fact I doubt he does.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

if the jets can't or won't trade up, it could end up that darnold/rosen/allen go 1-3, cleveland gets barkley, and we're all sitting there wondering what the broncos are going to do.  that would be awful.

The Broncos will take Mayfield and Mac gets fired the next day.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Pcola said:

If the Giants are trading out of 2, it needs to be with us.  We cannot let Buffalo get Josh Rosen.  Having them trade to 3 for Allen would be pretty great.  Our secondary could lead the NFL in interceptions because we would play him twice a year.

I'm sorry but I've given up on the idea of choosing which one of the 4.  I just want one of them.  And frankly don't care who the Bills get either - Just let the Jets get one of the 4.   The Giants trading out 2 with Buffalo is helpful to us (as someone else stated, Giants will not trade with us - so just let Buffalo get there)

Once Buffalo is gone there really isn't a team to worry about jumping us.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company