joewilly12

FREE AGENT NEWS

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Good for him.  I don't even really have any interest in the Jets bringing him in, with the sole exception of them being 100% committed to getting a QB at the top of the draft, and maybe having some interest in him as a transition guy.  With that said, there's no reason the Bengals should have been able to hang onto him for an extra year.  I'm never typically a fan of player holdouts, but if the NFL started allowing teams to get away with crap like that, you couldn't reasonably expect players to respect it.  Here's hoping the same ends up being the case for Bridgewater.

The Bengals are notoriously stingy.  Good for Maccarron.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Same price as ogletree, lee and a 7th for a 4 and a 6

Lee is much cheaper than Ogletree, but he is not as good a player.  

Maybe a 3rd.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Meanwhile at Jets camp we watch grass grow..............(we have nothing to trade) 

Image result for grass picture

The Jets are rebuilding.   They do not have any veterans to trade out-those guys were cut last year instead of trading-probably not much trade interest.  

GENERALLY, trades for players will not work, as the remaining contracts are too short.  

Yes, the Jets paid the price for the marijuana candy CB as the Rams paid for Talib.  Jets actually paid more-higher pick.  

The rumors are odd.  Vikings for 3 x 27?  I thought the market for Cousins was going to be 30?

The Jets can frontload a 30mm/year contract and not blow their sad team up.  It is much harder for the Vikings and Broncos to do that.  Watch out for the Bills now.  

I think astute GMs realize that Cousins is a good not great QB that you don’t pay too much for-a lot, but not enough to make him carry the team.  If I had to guess, Cousins signs for slightly less money than expected, unless he signs with the Jets.  

If I am Mac this is what I do:

• Acknowledge that I am not signing Cousins, but throw in an aggressive bid so the Vikings pay more.
  • Acknowledge that my second round draft picks are toast, so try and sign quality second contract building block players at CB (2), RB, C, EDGE and perhaps other OL.  I am also drafting a QB, so I need to keep him in one piece.  Being able to rush the passer will keep my new QB off the field.
  • Acknowledge that I am continuing to rebuild, but this is the year I select a QB to try and build around.  I will sign a QB who can be a good 1-2 year bridge/backup and play that QB and Hack before I let the rookie get hurt. 
  • To the extent I have to spend money to avoid writing the NFLPA a check, I throw extra money at players who are already here to build team loyalty/culture/chemistry.   Davis in particular.  

Let's see what he does.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Because we suck and should pay a premium.

It is half that, and half that we s#$k and have no previous good draft picks to spend money on, so we have plenty of money that actually has to be spent, so we can actually pay Cousins and only make the team better (because he is not preventing us to signing other players or retaining the players we have).  

If that makes sense.  

1 minute ago, Gen X Jet said:

The agent's first test balloon was 3 years $91 million.  The feedback on that must have been negative so he went with the Vikings are prepared to go to $27 mil per where he seems to have found the market.  

He's using the Vikings to get the Jets to pony up.

The Jets can pay him that, plus give him the money they saved from cutting Mo and replacing him with Mike Pennel.  

Voila.  

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

well pencil rosen in there.

McDermott saw the power of a QB like Newton in Carolina.  He may think Josh Allen is better for the weather and atmosphere up there.  

• Upvote 1

Mac has 2 choices really-

If he wants to publicly state that he is not willing to trade up for a QB and is willing to let the draft come to him, he can do that, at his personal peril, at least short term.  If he is proven to be wrong, he is toast.

If the Bills and Dolphins do not want to get trumped by the Jets on a QB, he needs to make it clear that he is willing to match or beat any offer the Colts or Giants receive for their picks.  

Those teams need to be scared of their fans thinking they got lowballed by the Bills or Dolphins. 

The Colts are not picking Chubb at 3.  He is not Miles Garrett.  The most valuable use of that pick is a QB.      

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

If you want to know why the Jets even have a chance, it’d be this: 

I have been saying that I think he is overplaying his hand and will go for lower than he thinks, particularly on a 3 year/no franchise deal (which is obnoxious)

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Still, I’d imagine the way it plays out is that Cousins signs with Minny about five minutes after Brees signs with the Saints, and then the Jets and Broncos start haggling over the scraps.

Yep.  The Vikings will pay him Stafford money, not more, partly because they know that Cousins really does not want to play for the Jets.  

If you think about then, Vikings, Lions and Packers are all in their QBs for big money, so they are in the same competitive position.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

The more I think about the Jets 'conundrum' now about how best to get their QB, the more pissed I get about playing the useless McCown last year for a few more meaningless wins and 'player development' ya know...

Now the choice is to overpay someone that to date is a questionable franchise QB who wants a short-term deal or trade the better part of this draft and possibly nexts to get the QB of their choice...which on a team with as many holes on the roster as we have isn't a great situation either.

Petty and Hack should have played last year...all year...and either progressed, or secured us the top pick this year.  The only the Jets should have paid McCown for last year was QB coach and emergency #3.  Only WE could f*ck this up.

I can’t believe that approach was an idea that MacBowles had.  I think the Johnsons drove that to sell more tickets.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

If we do sign Cousins to a three year deal people should realize that a contract

of that length would allow us to draft a QB at #6

Good point, but alot of money towards the QB position.  

I would almost give Cousins 2 years or 4+.

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

hack isn't making the team and mccags signing teddy is an admission of this.  hack is done.

This is likely true.  Petty is clearly done.

Mac is in love with his second round picks.  If he admitted that they were both toast, he would be pretty certain to know that he will have a new QB next year, either above 6 or at the end of the 1st round/top of the second.  My guess is that a QB is drafted somewhere along the line, just don't know where.  It will be hard for the Jets to pass on Chubb, or Barkley, or Nelson over Allen.  

This team is way too far away to spend money on premium free agents that everyone always admits were overvalued.  That is fine by me.  The best thing Mac can do is try and find some OL and CBs that can be with the team for the next 3-5 years.  2018 is looking like a lost year, so the Jets should push as much money as they can into 2019 and beyond.  Hopefully they can get a QB this year, but that will require trading of picks.

No FA with options will sign up for this dumpster fire at almost any price.  Mac should be able to run a mini-leftover draft and upgrade the roster with second contract players.  The Jets should not be wasting any more on players older than 27.

But the fact that they had to sign 2 QBs when they already had Hack on the roster is pretty damning.  

The Dolphins and Bills are very excited.   They are seeing Mac asleep at the wheel and an opportunity to offer less for picks 2-4.  

• Trumaine Johnson is old for a team rebuilding.  The Jets should have signed someone younger.   This tells me that Bowles is still trying to find DBs for his defense while the rest of the defense and team rots.
  • One of Teddy or McCown I can see.  Hack could have theoretically been QB 3 or QB2 for the next two years, with potentially producing a comp pick when he moved on (or trade value if he got his act together).  Signing the two of these QBs tells me that not only are the Jets admitting defeat on McCown, but they are willing to pay $10mm to avoid having him play, which is completely ridiculous.  IMO, if the rookie, Hack and veteran can't make it work, they should tank and then try again for a QB.  But...they are doing the same thing over again-with the 1-2 year CB and QBs, they will win more games than they should, and draft below 5 again, further kicking the QB can down the road.
  • I hope they do not trade their next year's first to move up.   They will need a Center in FA.
  • We blame MacBowles for this dumpster fire.  Chris Johnson was photographed leaving the facility.  He is in every meeting and approves the strategy.  I hope he does not expect season ticket sales to go up.  
  • Thumb Down 1

I think the Jets Master "Strategy" is to not overpay to move up in the first round and will let the draft come to them.  If one of the top QBs do not fall to them, they are happy with Chubb or Nelson and maybe Minkah as a corner.   

They will look for a QB in the second if they do not get one in the first.

Do I think this works?  Depends.

I do think that the Bills and/or Dolphins trade up if necessary, and Darnold, Rosen AND Mayfield are not there at 6.  Maybe Allen, who is widely understood not to be a WCO QB.  The Jets can trade the pick then I guess.  

They may be very confident they can draft a Center, given that they have not signed one.  

They definitely march to their own beat.  

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I haven't heard anything different, so yes, I would assume this is the end for both Petty and Hackenberg and a rookie will fill out the depth chart.

And for 2019, the Jets, at best, have one QB.  

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m with you. Selfishly speaking, I want them to preserve resources for next season in the event that Bowles and/or Macc are fired and we’re in a position of having to sell the GM/HC job/s to a group of candidates. I’d think the package of having a bunch of cap space, the first overall pick, and a blank slate at QB is a lot more appealing than no first rounder and a massive investment into an exposed Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield.

I was thinking the same thing.  

The Johnsons should tell MacBowles that 2019 is off limits, except to possibly trade to 2.  If they want to trade the entire 2018 draft to move up, have at it.  But they cannot use any of 2019's picks unless it gets Darnold or Rosen.  

In fact, they should be offering the Giants, right now, their entire 2019 draft.  That gets you Darnold or Rosen.  For that, maybe you let them use the 2019 pick instead.  Otherwise, no.

The Giants have no offensive line.  The Giants do that they likely get Nelson with the Jets pick.  How Giants is the best player in the draft who is an OL who went to Red Bank Catholic?  We can also give the Giants Beachum, Carpenter, Winters and/or Shell, none of whom are great, but are better than what the Giants have.   If we really wanted to be creative, we can sign Solder, pay him a big roster bonus, and then (with his permission) use him in a trade with the Giants, thus basically selling our cap space.  

The Jets 2019 pick should to top 1-3.  The Giants should take that. 

Sign Badger for 4 years.

Cut Skrine

Extend Adams

Let Lee walk after 2019

Defense would be great in 2020.

43 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What if the Giants grab a QB, the Jets trade up to 3 and now you are stuck with the 3rd best QB you may not even love. 

I'd be SHOCKED if the Browns pass on a QB at 1. They will find the guy they love, take him at 1 and then take one of Nelson/Barkley/Chubb at 4. 

I think that is very likely.  I think the value of 3 there is still high, greater than Value Chart, but would be for Mayfield.  

I think Allen is too risky to pay too much for to trade up.  Remember what the Jets paid to move up for Sanchez?  A bunch of scrubs?

6 hours ago, dcJet said:

It's gonna be hard to get rid of Mac if he makes "Executive of the Year" again.   Oh the horror!

Mac is paid a lot of money.  He needs to continue to find playmakers, build depth in the roster, and most importantly, navigate the QB situation correctly.  That requires judgment, and is as much an art as it is a science.  Thus far, he is really failing at all three.  People talk about the Jets needing playmakers and WRs-what about the 2 WRs and TE they picked last year?

He needs to evaluate the top 4 QBs and decide if it is worth trading up for them.  My guess is that he says yes and determines a responsible price for that.  My guess is that an intuitive GM pays a higher price.  One of them will be correct-we just don’t know which one.  

If he passes on one of the top 4, drafts Chubb or Nelson, and then tries to find a second round QB while playing the old and the crippled at QB, that could work out very badly for him if Teddy is not good.   I think that is more a function of Teddy’s recovery and health.  

He already has one foot in the hole based on how Mahomes and Watson play.  I am fine passing on Watson-too brittle and too weak arm for the Meadowlands.   If Mahomes is a star in a similar offense to what the Jets will be playing, that is strike 2 after Hack.  

If he gets outbid for Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield, likely at 3, and they turn out to be very good NFL QBs, that is strike 3, he is toast.  He will not get a chance to see if Lauretta or Falk that he picks in the second round turns out to be good.  FWIW, I do that there will be a lot of QBs scooped up at the end of the first round/beginning of the second.  The only one for the Jets to scoop up in the second of any note could be Falk, who is also a project.  

Mac can’t play it safe anymore.  He should be putting floor bids in front of the Giants and Colts for their picks.   This draft is all about the Giants-are they taking their QB of the future, or making a last run.  I hope it is MaraTisch making that call. 

57 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

at that point it may make the most sense ironically for him to explore trade down scenarios.  he'd get tarred and feathered if he took jackson at 6.  he may as well trade back and get more picks, someone would trade up for chubb or barkley at that point.

That is why Mac signed Bridgewater.  If this is the scenario, which is very highly likely (maybe not exact order, but the players-it will be Barkley, not Chubb), the Jets should take Chubb if he thinks he can get the  Jets 10 sacks next year-otherwise Nelson.  

52 minutes ago, usanyj said:

should be a gauntlet dropped by Johnson.   come away with one of these four, or youre looking for a new job.

This is the problem with the Jets.   Who knows what what Johnson said to MacBowles last year.  

The Jets were supposed to be going into 2017 with Hack and Petty and perhaps someone else.  That is not unreasonable for a rebuilding team-they were draft picks, one a high one.  That is what the Browns had in their rebuild.  But after OTAs...they signed McCown.  

Did the Johnsons tell them that they needed to do something to avoid a complete dumpster fire season, understanding that dumpster fire gets you a top draft pick?  Or did MacBowles on their own sign McCown, and Ealy, to avoid the complete dumpster fire.  The Jets were a competitive team in the first half of the season last year.  

28 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Agreed.  But if your choices at 6 are Chubb or Nelson, how the hell do you take a guard over a pass rusher.  If the QBs go in front us because Buffalo was willing to give up 150% of the draft value chart, there are no other offensive players rated anywhere near as high as Chubb.

The ONLY problem I can envision is if the draft goes like Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Barkley, Chubb..

Then the three highest rated players are Allen (major project,) Minkah Fitzpatrick and Denzel Ward (neither positions of need,) or Nelson.

Nelson.

32 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Just checked and there are still some solid OG’s left on the market. Notably Justin Pugh and Jack Mewhort.

Both are probably better fits for a zone blocking scheme than Carpenter.

Good idea, but we are not signing a guard because:

• The chances of taking a Guard in the first or second round are too high
  • Winters is under contract this year
  • They like Dozier.  

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

if the top 4 QBs are gone and if Chubb or Barkley are available at #6, then you you take the stud and don't trade down.  Then use some of your draft capital to make sure you get Jackson, Laulletta, White or whatever QB you like in the next tier. But to purposely pass on Chubb/Barkley and not come away with a premier player when one is there at 6 would be a disaster.  

Use 6 on one of the top 4 QBs if there and if none are there then it MUST be the case that either Chubb or Barklley is there.  OMG, you don't trade out of that.  It would be the only saving grace to having missed out on the top 4.  

But, other than for PR value, do the Jets really want the 4th QB, if he is Allen?

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Josh Rosen. Purest thrower in the draft. Plays snaps under center.can dissect defenses if given time. Can make perfect touch throws and put the ball on the spot every time. Fast processor. Quick smart decisions and goes through reads 1-4. He has the make up of a franchise QB. I get the injuries are a concern. This west coast system should help him get the ball quickly, pair that with a nice Oline upgrade and you’ll suddenly forget the injury.

Teddy and McCown are only one year deals with a lot of it being incentive based money. They aren’t the future and the Jets have made that clear by giving them the contracts they have now. 

I am sorry.  I am just finding it really hard to believe that the Browns would take Rosen, and that Giants would pass on him.

The Giants, who have always looked for a drop back passer, in a region with more Jewish people than anywhere else in the world, whose co-owner is Jewish, whose GM is Jewish, whose QB is at the end of his career, is going to pass on a brilliiant Jewish QB with a challenging personality?  The Giants are going to pass on Rosen?  Are we nuts?  So the Jets can trade up to the Colts to get him?  So Eli and OBJ can try and reach the playoffs again after being the second worst team in the league last year?  So that Barkley can run behind a terrible OL?  I don't believe it.  I really don't.  The Giants are taking Rosen after the Browns take Darnold.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Pcola said:

What if the price to move up to 3 was our 1st, both 2nds, our third, and a 2nd or 3rd next year?  If you think Darnold or Rosen are going to be elite NFL players, then sure.  What if they go 1-2.  Are you willing to give up our whole draft to take Mayfield or even worse, Josh Allen instead of just taking Chubb (if Mayfield is gone by 6) and taking Jackson or Lauletta in the second round?  Even if it cost us 2 of those next three picks of ours, it would be worth it.

Our defense with a vanilla offense should win enough games to contend for the playoffs.  Bring in Jackson in November/December.  No one would have any film on him and we could actually make a run, similar to SF a few years ago.

Just now, MDL_JET said:

nope nope nope. Not buying it lol. They were saying on the radio the Gettleman has been completely quiet about what he wants to do and that maybe they're enjoying this talk of them taking Barkley so they can spook the Browns into taking him at 1, so they have their choice of QB at 2. Which I think is exactly what's going on. 

Either way, Rosen is gone by 2 and that kills me. Jets better find a way to get Mayfield after that.

Here is another one:  Does Mac give up the ranch to take a 6 foot tall QB with an arrest for public intoxication at 3?  So he can hang out in Chelsea?

I am not seeing that one either.  I am not saying I would disagree if he did, but I am just not seeing it.  Mayfield is a no brainer at 6, but he is not making it there.  At least if he falls to the Jets they can use their draft picks for supporting players.

Boy or Boy did these clowns mess this up, and we have been saying that for 6 months.  It is really sinking in now.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

Dorsey was interviewed in November (before he was the Cle GM) and said he was turned off by Rosen’s personality and there fore wouldn’t touch him.

Rosen’s upbringing and political philosophies are the exact opposite of Cleveland and their blue collar fans.  If they did take him, he would have to win almost immediately or they would hate him.

I said that and agree.  The Browns ain't taking Rosen. But apply that analysis to the Giants in the inverse.  They ARE taking Rosen.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Not that you're wrong about the Giants taking Rosen... But please tell me you don't actually think the kid being Jewish is going to influence their decision?

I don't think it should, but I think if the pick is a toss up, it could tip the balance.  Rosen is a great QB prospect.  I think the NY market could get him to stick at it longer.  

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Let's say the Giants really like only one of the 4 QBs and Cleveland takes that QB. What do they do?

Depends-if they want Barkley they take him. Otherwise they trade down and take Nelson.

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Wonder what'll happen if we're at 6, and Chubb is there along Allen. Bowles might lock Mac out of the room and make the call for Chubb.

I think they take Chubb, and I would agree with that.  Either or trade down.  

37 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You play a base nickle when you have a Honey Badger. 

It worked pretty well when bowls ran it in AZ. 

Lee has only 2 years under his contract.  He does not appear extend worthy.  Bring in the Honey Badger, draft a cheaper LB, and play 5 DBs full time.  

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Cutting Skrine pays 6 million towards his desired 11 million/year contract.

If you think HB can play 4-5 years, investing more in him, keeping him around long term and having a core strong DB unit is not a bad strategy.  

Maye is under contract 3 more years cheap.  Hopefully one of the CBs develop to take over for Claiborne.  it is not a terrible strategy.  

• Upvote 1

So for trade purposes, at what 2019 draft slot could the Jets argue that their pick is worth?

If they argue that their pick will be too high after they trade for a 2018 QB, does that mean Mac gets automatically fired?

Can you hear the conversation?  

Mac to the Giants or Colts:  "We have a great deal for you.  We will give you our 2018 Number 1, both of 2018 Number 2s, and our 2019 Number 1, which you should assume will be AT LEAST A TOP FIVE PICK!  What a deal for you!"

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If I were forced to predict how this Draft goes I'd say Rosen #1, Darnold #2, Chubb #3, Barkley #4, Mayfield #5.....with the Jets looking at a decision between Quenton Nelson and Josh Allen.  

This is as credible and thoughtful as any prediction, noting:

• Does Cleveland and the Giants basically switch-Dorsey does not seem sold on Rosen.  
  • Irsay is a wacko-does he want to spend top 3 money for a 4-3 DE who is not as dynamic a pass rusher as hoped?  Does he trade it, or take Barkley to go with Luck?
  • Will Mac be the GM to take Allen after 5 other teams, including those needing a QB who have the resources to trade up, passed?  I think not.  

I predict that the good RBs go higher than expected.  Some can sneak into the first round.

I think there is going to be a resurgence of the RB position.  The way to get them is to draft them.  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company