joewilly12

FREE AGENT NEWS

Just now, T0mShane said:

Manish is already out with the “Hey, you know who else would be good? Teddy Bridgewater!” snippet today, which means that Cousins is a Vikings within five minutes of free agency opening.

If the broncos are out, the jets could bow out and then the Vikings would be bidding agains themselves, but cousins could find himself making way less money than if there were a real bidding war.

Just now, T0mShane said:

LaCanfora is a stooge, but what you’re seeing is a Denver v Minnesota v Cousins public bidding war. Next week, you’ll hear that Cousins is “meeting with the Jets” or some sh*t, but it’s all show now. 

Hopefully mccags won't take the bait.  At some point everyone is going to get tired of Kirk cousins trying to get revenge on the nfl for overlooking him in the draft and on Snyder for preferring rg3.  Enough already, get over it, pick a team, sell your house and shut up.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Free agency hasn't started yet....

And it's awful already.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine Buffalo jumping up to three and landing Mayfield or Darnold? Then having Mac follow that up 45 minutes later by drafting a DB? 

Worse, imagine tannenbaum jumping to #4 and grabbing a qb, then watching the jets get Fitzpatrick.  That would bring it all home and underscore why mccagnan is truly over his head.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ha. It’d be worth it just for the horrific screaming 

We'd be sitting there with Chubb and mccown and mccagnan would be spouting BAP and saying rebuilding takes patience while guys like elway are saying there's no time for rebuilding.

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

If it ended up being for 3 years, i'd be pretty pissed, Jets would be stupid to do that, it accomplishes nothing. You want him here long term so you can build something. Of course we'd be the ones to get the big free agent QB and still get duped. 

it does nothing for cousins either.  the jets won't be serious contenders until then anyway.

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sounds like they’re in on Sherman, too, which tells you all you need to know about how important having “$100 mil in cap space” really is.

Having $100 million in cap space is simply the Hallmark way of saying 'we suck'.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, MDL_JET said:

That would probably be one of the best ways to use the money, especially if we miss out on Cousins. There's just not many good FA's that will require huge contracts. So why not get an extra pick. 

especially if the plan is to trade up for a qb.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, because there's nothing better than whining in advance about potential future whining.

i thought that's what all the cousins threads were for.

Just now, Mogglez said:

The Mike Evans contract just gauranteed that Odell gets f*cking PAID.  Dude might actually come close to the numbers he wants.

Also, this bodes well for us in our pursuit of Allen Robinson.  Very few teams in pursuit of him have the financial type of flexibility that we do.

are we going to pursue robinson or is this a hypothetical?

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Well it’s rumored we have interest in him but that’s as far as it’s went to this point. Guess we will know in a few days.

i haven't even read that much, that we have interest.

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

To the Jets!! Rosen/Mayfield

i still think the jets end up with rosen at 3.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Right, and the Bills are just going to start Nathan Peterman.

The bills trading for foles makes sense.  

I have 2 scenarios that I believe can play out that are realistic and just as bad for us, based on what I've heard and what today's trades seem to indicate.

Scenario #1:

1. Darnold (Browns)

2. Barkley (Giants)

3. Bills trade up for Rosen

4. Minkah Fitzpatrick (Browns)

5. Baker Mayfield (Broncos) 

6. Josh Allen (Jets)

Scenario #2

1. Barkley (Browns)

2. Bills trade up with Giants for Josh Rosen

3. Browns trade up one pick for Sam Darnold

4. Bradley Chubb (Colts)

5. Baker Mayfield (Broncos)

6. Josh Allen (Jets)

I gotta admit, I have no idea why you think the Broncos won't be taking a QB.  Who do you mean when you say "they already have one, because word around Denver is that there is almost zero chance they pass on a QB in favor of Paxton Lynch or Trevor Siemian.

The realistic best case scenario is that mccags has a good relationship with indy's gm, and Indy does not want to trade back to where they can't get Chubb.  If 4 qbs and Barkley go top 5 then Indy can trade back to 6 and still get Chubb.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I already explained in my Scenario 2 how the Bills trading up basically guarantees us Allen.  It doesn't really matter who they trade up with.

I don't see how that means the jets can't trade up with indy

And that's where we'll vehemently disagree.

I believe that Allen will be an absolute disaster and that any GM who selects him with this many red flags deserves his fate. 

So when we get bridgewater we should just assume we're taking a cb or olb

Well, in my Scenario 2, the Bills jumping up to 2 would force the Browns to panic a bit about such a move happening from us so they pull a Chicago Bears and move up one spot for a QB.

I mean, I guess that means maybe we could theoretically trade up to 4 with Indy, but a double trade down would be pretty rare and not something I could see happening.

I honestly wish that I could say yes, because I really don't want Allen, but no.  I would still expect QB at 6 (likely Allen).

Unless Cleveland falls in love with allen.  

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Then he's fired either way.

@Patriot Killa said that the goal is to find a franchise QB.  Allen isn't one, and if he waits for a 2nd round or later QB, there's almost zero chance that Macc survives long enough to find out whether or not they are.  They are developmental guys.  If Macc goes so does Bowles and the entire coaching staff too, so the chances of those guys getting legitimate development are slim to none, as a new regime will swoop right in and replace them with their own guys.

Maccagnan backed himself into this corner when he failed to trade up for Wentz, passed on Deshaun Watson last year, all in favor of Christian Hackenberg in the second round; the player that can't get on the field after 2 seasons.  

Exactly.  New gms who inherit teams without a good qb do not wait 4 years to make their move.  All the jets cap space can't save them.  So one of two things happen.  Either mccagnan trades away the picks in this draft and next year's draft that he should have already used for a qb, or he tries to sell the fan base on bridgewater and falk.  

I wonder if he gets fired after the draft if he does not have a top qb prospect.  

• Post of the Week 1

I don't think I'll ever get over Wentz not being ours over a 3rd rounder. Ever.

You'd like to think mccags has learned from that, and won't make the same cheap mistake this year.  

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

We just have to hope he has.

If not i hope he can convince a team like Arizona to trade up to 6 and get their 1st rounder next year in a deal.  

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Agree with all of this, but just saying that I doubt this part.  For better or worse he'll see this year to the end.

If he doesn't manage to get a qb this year with cousins and all of these draft prospects, what is there to wait around for?  The team would still have no hope and nobody is going to see this team if the draft a cb in the first round, a rb and an olb in the 2nd and a crappy wr in the 3rd.  The johnsons want to fill the stands, they should be telling mccagnan to get a qb at all costs.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is anyone else kind of excited? Not excited in the “yayyyyy, good things are gonna happen” kind of way, but moreso in the sense that this is Maccagnan’s and Bowles’ Last Stand? They’re all out of excuses; they have the money, the draft picks, and the clean slate, and everything in the refrigerator is going to have their initials on it. And, if you’re a Jigsaw-style sadist like me, it’s also kinda cool that this free agent class sucks except for two or three veterans that are already tabbed to go to other teams, and their first draft pick is juuuuuuuuuuuust on the periphery of guaranteeing them one of the top three QBs? It’s cool, not because the scenario is slightly tilted away from them and we’ll likely get to shop for a shiny, new regime within two years, but because the scenario is set up in such a way that they do realistically have a chance to save their careers. There will be no excuses for either of them moving forward, which is kinda unique and refreshing.

I am excited, because we either get a new qb or a new gm/hc.  Either way we win something.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the point of Cousins wanting a three year deal is that he doesn’t give anyone a discount, now or in the future, but especially in the future.

the point of the 3 year deal is that he can do this whole thing again, when the cap is increased and guys are making 35M/year.  he'll give minny a 3 year window, then pick the next team that's close that needs a good qb, assuming he's still playing well.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Right, yes. Then he gets to set his new contract on the backs of the Aaron Rodgers/Carson Wentz/Jared Goff eventual extensions. But in order to do that he needs to go somewhere and have immediate success, which is why the Jets and Browns have less than zero chance of getting him.

exactly.  this is what his agents cant say.  cousins doesn't want a long deal.  it works out well for him.  he can sell it to everyone that he wants to go to a good team, but really what he's saying is that he can take 2 shots at 3 years each with 2 good teams.  

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Did you factor in Orleans Darkwa’s extension?

i have a different theory on this.  i think mccagnan may finally realize that he may well have to trade up to get his qb if he wants to keep this job.  so he may actually realize that if he deals those 2nd rounders he won't be able to fill 2 needs, one of which would be rb.  so if he has to go a year by committee with a scrub rb but gets his qb it's ultimately a small price to pay.  but i think his goal is go into the draft with no glaring holes not b/c it will allow him to go BAP but b/c he may give up several picks to get a qb.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or, the team doesn’t currently have 53 NFL-quality players but it has a lot of money to spend, so he’s offering to make a few fringe guys rich for a couple of years. 

another possibility and it speaks to having to overbid for your own crappy players rather than someone else's crappy players. 

the myth of a lot of cap space is that you can build a team with it.  in truth there are only a handful of players who help you win games and the rest of the players are mostly interchangeable, so guys like landry get traded for a song.  either you can throw for tds, run for tds or sack the quarterback or you suck.  pay the guys who can do these 3 things well, and draft accordingly.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

He's going to leave a team that doesn't want to pay him to join a team that does want to him. And pay him a lot. 

the laughable thing is if the jets think that signing allen will lure cousins to sign with them.  i really hope they don't think this, that they can keep drafting defense and sign offensive players that other teams don't want to pay.

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

The only thing luring Cousins is money and Bates. 

Jets need a WR regardless though. 

exactly and that's how they should be viewing it, not to entice cousins, but to improve the offense.  a rookie qb will need guys like him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Wait, you’re saying Jets are better off without Robinson? wow. SOJFs. 

no, i'm saying the jets should sign players not to lure other players but b/c they improve the team.

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Very true.  Look at that first round in 2014, forget the receivers, tons of Pro Bowl talent and Idzik landed on Calvin Pryor...Lol.  Complete incompetence.  So many offensive skill players and still nada on this roster.  

and if they sign cousins we're drafting another defensive player in the first round.  

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Spend 90 mill guaranteed on a Qb

Have bowles decide to run the ball more often than any other team in the league,

but just think of the fake play action.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is one way to look at it.  Brate has it all over ASJ.  He beat him out head to head and the numbers you posted are 200+ yards and 2 TDs better than ASJ's best.  That wasn't even Brate's best season.  Brate is better in every statistical category and he barely got more than ASJ is looking for, though he was an RFA.

the jets are pretending to bid for ASJ, so they can look like they kinda want to keep him but they really dont.

Just now, TopCop said:

The only concern I have is the longer the Cousins saga plays out, the longer it keeps us from making other moves.  Other teams will be positioning themselves to draft one of the top 3 QB’s while we’re waiting for Cousins to make a decision.  Cousins needs to make a decision by the end of the week or we just need to move on

i'd like to think that a team with no offense and $100M in cap space would be prepared to do other things while they wait for cousins to put on a vikings jersey.

Just now, Paradis said:

Sounds like CIN maybe trading picks to BUF for LT C. Glenn... if true, they're wallet of picks is getting thicker. 

Macc?

giants or indy are bailing out of the top 3.  rosen seems destined to buffalo.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company