joewilly12

FREE AGENT NEWS

A 3 year deal would not benefit us unless we hit on all of our FA signings and almost all of our draft picks this year. Too many things have to go right for us to contend immediately.

Realistically, with signing Cousins to our current roster we might not be able to contend until Cousins’ final contract year. Guess what else will be happening around that time (if we are contending)? Everyone else on our squad is going to want a huge pay day. So you’d be fighting to keep Cousins while having huge roster holes.

For us, I believe signing Cousins to a 4-5 year deal is only scenario that benefits us long term. If he only wants 3, we’ll be in a huge mess in a couple of years.

Offer him long term/front-loaded $. He can have his first 3 years fully guarenteed. He says no? Focus on the rest of the roster and draft our guy, who you can build a team around for about 5 years before you have to renew his deal.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Jets have Zero leverage to force a 5 year deal. Right now signing him period seems like long shot as the days go by .. Cousin’s and his agent are in control everything . 

Oh I wasn’t saying we have leverage. I was just saying their offer should be 4 or 5 years and then just move on. 3 years does us no good.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TopCop said:

Macc has got to have something big in play cuz nothing is coming out of the Jets camp, heck there’s more leaked info coming out of Muller’s investigation than the Jets.  But I would think by now Macc should have a good idea whether we have a realistic chance at Cousins cuz I’m sure some backdoor communication has occurred with Cousins camp.

Also, I have a feeling that Macc has a trade in place to move up, but doesn’t want to show his hand until he has to.  This is like the calm b4 the storm - Gut feeling is Macc is about to shock the world!!!

I remember same things were being said about Idzik during the 2014 offseason...”quiet because something big is coming!!!” 

We had brief drama over DRC and lost out n that was it. Im fearful for the same outcome.

5 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Wow, the vagiants got Idzik'd - could be the best news of the day LOL 

The less holes the Giants fill in free agency the better. Makes them more willing to trade down (if we are even willing to trade up is another debate).

• Upvote 2

Allen Robsinson is the only guy I feel we missed out on so far, and I figured he was a long shot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KRL said:

If we do sign Cousins to a three year deal people should realize that a contract

of that length would allow us to draft a QB at #6

Would make taking Mayfield or Allen @ 6 that much more plausible, with them developing for a couple of years. But would Mac actually double dip that highly in $ and draft capital in the same year? I know I would if I ran an organization that made finding a quarterback since 1974 as difficult as splitting an atom. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Beyond idiotic to me. Wtf are they thinking man? W.T.F

I honestly think they:

- Absolutely planning on drafting a quarterback in round 1.

- Want Bridgewater to be healthy enough to start next year.

- Covering their bases if Bridgewater’s leg implodes and the rookie isn’t ready, by signing McCown.

10 million for McCown on a one year deal ks basically equivalent to $1.00 USD. We aren’t using all of our cap space this year and McCown’s $ won’t affect next years cap.

Both on 1 year deals mean they expect their draft pick to completely take over in 2019, possibly have Bridgewater as a backup, and maybe McCown as our QB coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

You give me slight hope..I pray to god that a high first round QB is in our plans...

Im being optimistic, but if they don’t draft someone I have no hope for this gm/coach, and even less that ownership will find good replacements.

But I think based on these 1 year deals, they KNOW they have to draft one.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Kinda glad we didn't land Cousins. I wanted him but the idea of having a rookie QB be our guy is way more exciting and a hell of a lot cheaper. 

Not just that, but the 3 year deal wouldnt help us at all. Im glad Mac offered a 4-5 year, showing he at least understood he isn’t blind to that fact.

If we signed Cousins for 3, in 2 years we’d be in the same position Washington has been in with Cousins the last couple of years.

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

They just botched on their effort to get Norwell. They settled for a new aging LT and still have plenty of holes to fill come April. Gettleman has said countless times(and I believe him) that he thinks Eli has 2-3 years left in him and it was the O-line and major WR injuries which resulted in their season. Giants can afford to take Falk in the 2nd round and trade down to fill holes in their O-line(a very heavy Guard/Center draft at that,perfect time) while still taking Nelson or someone impactful to help Eli right now. They aren’t getting a QB at 2 just to sit him. Gettleman comments were “you only take a QB at 2 if he is going to be a Hall of Famer” they aren’t convinced these QB’s will be that. The writing is on the wall.

Not just thay but Shurmer was a hugr Davis Webb fan during last year’s draft and wanted Minnesota to draft him. They may believe Eli has 2-3 years left, while developing Webb is good enough for them.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Gettleman said himself that he liked Webb as a QB who can develop behind Eli. They will trout out Eli/Webb/Falk ..bank on it.

Oh I didn’t know Gettleman liked Webb too. Good to hear. I think the only quarterback the VaGiants would ever even consider is Sam Darnold.

Rosen is too outspoken, “controversial”, and political. I don’t think he is. But the Giants don’t do business like that. Darnold is more their style for the face of the franchise. OBJ won’t be there after his contract because of that fact and $.

Mayfield similar reasons, and I don’t see them valuing Mayfield as a #2 pick.

Josh Allen is not accurate enough for Shurmur’s offense, as he has already states that he looks for and puts accuracy as the highest priority for a qb’s skillset.

If Darnold goes first (and I think he definitely will) I think VaGiants would love to trade down with us or Denver over Buffalo. Buffalo is a playoff team. The Jets or Denver’s first round pick of 2019 can easily be a top 5 pick. 

If you’re NYG, you take that pick so you can reevaluate possibly getting a qb next year if Webb looks terrible and Eli crumbles. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Giants were one of the few teams that were considering signing Kaepernick. Mara went on the record saying he would have signed him, but the pushback he received from his season ticket base made him reconsider. They’re not opposed to bringing in players with an opinion at all. 

They are opposed now, for 3 reasons:

- Mara wanted Kap. He saw the pushback and folded.

- Mara had his dummie of a coach bench Eli. Then saw the media heat for it, fired him as the fall guy and Eli start the rest of the season.

- Mara has seen OBJ (along with previous examples) create a Jets-like “circus environment” with his team. I just can’t see them taking Rosen, or anyone but Darnold this year. I may be proven wrong. I think they’ll activey shop the pick though.

They hired Gettleman because he agrees with ownership who believe the team is a better coach and oline away from another super bowl.

If they wanted a complete rebuild from scratch I think they would have hired someone else as gm. Gettleman is here for 4 or 5 years, to bring another Eli-super bowl and then leave them with his handpicked replacement and qb of the future at that point. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think you’re wildly overstating Rosen’s supposed off-field issues as it relates to what the Giants might find off-putting about a prospect. They’ve historically had very troubled, very outspoken, and very high maintenance players. They don’t take as much heat for it because they win a ring every five years. I will agree that Gettleman is the x-factor here, but only because he doesn’t seem to place a higher value on skill position players. His trademark, however, has been ruthlessly cutting beloved veteran players like Steve Smith and Josh Norman. I don’t think he’d be afraid of benching Eli. The fans know Eli sucks; they were pissed he was being benched for Geno Smith.

Desperate optism that NYJ trades up with NYG could be tinting my vantage point. If Rosen was an Andrew Luck prospect I do not think NYG would care about his personality/opinions.

I don’t see anything wrong with Rosen off the field. But there is a question about his desire/passion/coachability. Things like that are big to an old school guy like Gettleman. Whereas, Darnold is all about the game.

That mindset + NYG denial that Eli is done and their roster is overrated makes me think they wouldn’t roll the dice on Rosen.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It’s gonna be hilarious when the Vikings don’t even get close to the super bowl. 

With a healthy Aaron Rogers to deal with, Vikings will be fighting for a wild card spot.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company