FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

Excited about the upcoming week. 

Ideally, we'd have signed Kirk Cousins, Allen Robinson, Aaron Colvin (CB Jaguars) and Zach Fulton (C/G Chiefs) by the end of the week.

The first two of those are clearly debatable; can't really blame anyone that doesn't want to spend 30 million a year on Kirk Cousins or 13 million a year on Allen Robinson, nor can I blame either of them for saying "No thank you" to this franchise.  

The second two on that wishlist are guys looking to take the step from reserves to starters and haven't gotten paid yet.  They should be easier to entice.  

Mac, Bowles:

If I really want Bowles and Macc to go, should I be rooting for us to get embarrassed in the Cousins saga, take a non-qb (non-premium position) player @ 6 (Notre Dame guard says hi) and sign someone like Teddy Bridgewater to start the season?  

How much delayed gratification can I handle?  I thought I was eating my vegetables last year when we were rebuilding... when do I get my steak?  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

So the real question should be - who’s good enough (and young enough) to sign that will benefit the team after MaccBowles get the axe next offseason but not good enough to prevent them from being fired?

So what are the Geno Smith, Tom Savage & Johnny Manziel markets looking like?

Are we going to trade up for Josh Allen too?

What's the best way to bottom out as soon as possible?

The Avery Williamson signing seems good, don't know much about the guy but he's 26 and people are saying "great fit for the 3-4"; so OK, no problems there.

The McCown signing doesn't bother me; so long as we draft a quarterback.

The Trumaine Johnson signing is annoying - we're not competing for anything next year, why sign 28 year old cornerbacks?  He does fill a need at a premium position, so I can handle it.

The Isaiah Crowell signing, I mean, whatever.  Do I give a sh*t?  No.  

TEDDY F***ING BRIDGEWATER!  WTF!  Are we not drafting a quarterback?  I reserve the right to freak-the-f***-out if we don't draft a quarterback because of Teddy Bridgewater.  

It was a disappointing day, although it ended better than it started with the Corner and the ILB signing.  Zach Fulton is still on the market I believe, I'd like us to sign him.  

We all know this offseason hinges on acquiring a quarterback.  If we walk away with Darnold, Baker, Rosen or Lamar - I'm happy.  If the Bills trade-up ahead of us for JP Losm-  I mean Josh Allen, I'll be ecstatic.  If we take Josh Allen, I'll be thoroughly discouraged.  If we pass on quarterbacks for a position player because we signed Teddy F***ing Bridgewater than I'll be joining the League of Shadows and taking down Gotham from my base of operations in the sewer system.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

You're a logical guy with good posts.  Think it through for a second...

McCown and Bridgewater for 1 year deals at modest prices and you think the Jets aren't going to draft a QB?

Those signings are practically SCREAMING they're taking a QB either at 6 or moving up for one.

9 hours ago we had people actually theorizing no players would come here because of Macc lol.. 

Appreciate the vote of confidence in my sanity, but the logic you put forth here is the exact logic I used to justify bringing back McCown.  

Drafting both has my spider-senses going off.  I might be paranoid and you might have it right.  But signing two of them... you know... it just doesn't seem necessary... I'm trying to understand it.  I will reserve judgment on those two until the draft happens.  

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

When your coach is a DL savant, you over-invest in DL.

When your coach is a DB, you over-invest in DB.

No coach should ever have to coach up players in their area of specialization.

One of these days we'll get ourselves an offensive coach; I'd be thrilled to overinvest literally anywhere on that side of the ball.  

• Like 1

The Honey Badger is fun to watch.  He's had success in Bowles' defense.  

I don't think it's a wise investment... but we're in this weird situation where there really are no more offensive players out there I'm keen on signing and we still have boatloads of cap space and a poor roster.  

I still think we should punt, though.  The goal of next year should be developing a quarterback (a high first rounder that rides the bench, preferably) and ensure Bowles & Macc get axed.  If that's the case, we shouldn't be handing out big money to Tyran; we don't want to hand our next coach three safeties, one of which is overpaid, the other two who are top picks. 

Exercise discipline.  Pass.   

Just now, chirorob said:

Thing is with all this space, you have to spend to a minimum.  I don't even know who they are going to sign.

I think that's over four years that we've got to spend the minimum - not absolute on that, but reasonably certain. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

So The Johnson's are going to eat 2 yrs worth of contracts for Mcc & Bowles?

I don't speak for the Johnsons.  Failure will force their hand, or rather, it should force their hand. 

There's that cliche about every coaching contract is a one-year deal, and while that's probably oversimplified and overused, if MaccBowles lead us to a third 5-11 season, I expect them to get sh*tcanned, agreed?

I want an offensive coach that doesn't lose the locker room year two.  I need a GM that will select premium positions early in the draft and hit on some later round picks.  I don't think I'm being unreasonable.  

I've liked Eifert since Notre Dame.

With the Redbeard what college team you think I rooted for growing up?

Anyways, he's never been healthy.  If he wants to come for pennies on the dollar with no guarantees, sure.  Otherwise, use that Notre Dame degree for something else, fella.  

Just now, LockeJET said:

While the Honey B plays all over, he's not coming to a team where he has next to no shot to play much safety. Too many other teams after his services for him to come to us.

Hopefully, you're right.  It'd be fun to watch but it's a bad investment long term and we're not a win-now team.  

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh, are we starting with the ‘not a win-now’ narrative already? 

#realultimaterebuild

If we signed Cousins it would've been #competitiverebuild

But we didn't.

So now it's #don't-sign-anyone-too-good-that-it-will-save-MaccBowles-job

Come on, man.  Keep up.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Eek. Rather get decent players in. See if Mac can get his QB. Then see   how bowles handles things. If they suck then can Bowles and maybe Mac.

I mean, if we were signing offensive lineman, I'd be all for it.

But for a third safety that's 5'9?  Naaa

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I'm convinced he would be a poor investment long term.  He's 5'9 on bad knees without a clear position.  

It'd be fun to see those five out there in a nickel-three-safety look but, I mean, I thought the goal here was to get Bowles & Macc fired - not build some beast secondary that, paired with no pass rush and a below-average offense, could win us six games.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t feel it’s a ooorcinvestment when you basically need a nickle back anyway and all you have to do now is cut Skrine and you have basically pairs for half of it right there. Bowles can use him as a third interchangeable piece and he can fly around the field as he does best. 

Pass rusher? There was no real pass rusher to choose from onece the top two were tagged. Get one in the draft and take CB off of the draft needs list. 

We'll be paying our nickel back Honey Badger money though.  And he's not really a nickel, is he?  He's not really a safety either.  He's a good football player without a clear position that can make some splash plays.

I think the Honey Badger should go to a win-now team because I think the expiration date on his career quickly approaching.  I'd bet he's got about two years of quality football left in him.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Skrine is 5’9 and did just fine as far as sizing up slot WR’s..he’s just a flag machine. I really don’t see your point. We have 45 million and a way to upgrade our Defense. Nothing else matters.

Because not every player signs a one-year deal.  We will owe this guy money for a while; money that could be otherwise spent (down the road) on more important positions like say pass-rushers, offensive-lineman, and offensive-playmakers of any stripe.  

We just drafted two safeties back-to-back in the first two rounds last year.  We just signed Trumaine Johnson and re-signed Morris Claiborne.  We've spent enough resources on whatever position you want to label the Honey Badger.

Buster Skrine sucks.  Doesn't mean we have to replace him with a ten million dollar a year nickelback (as you label him).

49 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

And Cutting buster pays for half of the contract itself lmaooo...keep looking for reasons though. 

This is Buster's last year of his contract.  How many years and dollars will the Honey Badger get? 

We're not always going to have the most cap space, right? 

Just because you come into a lot of money doesn't mean it's wise to buy a Lambo, understand?  

49 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You play a base nickle when you have a Honey Badger. 

It worked pretty well when bowls ran it in AZ. 

51 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

You don't need a play maker when you have Bridgewater...I think. Something like that...unless you have a great defense like the Giants...I think. 

We're not a win-now team; I don't want to us sign a surplus player for big money.

How many wins is the hybrid nickel/safety going to add our total next year?  

Didn't we just spend nearly 20 million on two corners and drafted two safeties back-to-back in rounds 1 & 2 next year? 

Do we have to drop more money into the secondary just because we can? 

Do we have to spend all of it this year?  

We don't need this player.  He's going to get a lot of guaranteed money and be signed for a lot of years.  

And then there's his knees:

Mathieu is four months removed from surgery to repair his right ACL, torn in Week 15 against the Philadelphia Eagles. He's able to backpedal and participate in drills, although he has just been a spectator during organized team activities.

"I'm moving around really well," he said. "I'm really pleased with where I'm at right now."

This rehabilitation and recovery isn't as complex as Mathieu's first, when he tore his LCL and ACL in 2013. This was a simpler injury, for lack of a better term -- just his ACL.

But just because this rehab is easier doesn't mean Mathieu will be on the field any quicker. The most important lesson he said he took away from his first knee injury was to not rush his return.

"If I'm ready, I'm ready," Mathieu said. "But I want to be 100 percent, and I feel like last time when I came back I wasn't necessarily who I am as a football player. So I'm just looking forward to being patient, challenging myself to be patient and then coming back at 100 percent."

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/20624/a-patient-tyrann-mathieu-calls-second-knee-rehab-easier

A 5'9 safety/corner hybrid with two gruesome knee injuries in his past whose played only one full season in his career... sounds like a safe bet and a smart move!

Let's give him five years, 50 million with 30 of it guaranteed!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t think 2.5 million more than what buster makes this year is buying a Lamborghini and I don’t think his future cap hits will differ from the previous yearly salary we gave Skrine in 2015. That knee injury doesn’t bother me given the fact he has showed he can still play at a high level afterwards.

Gonna have to do better than that.

Soooo the knees don't bother you (because he's rebounded...twice already...which also means he's had to rebound twice already... because he blew up his knee twice in three years). 

The analogy with the Lambo (i.e. that it's impractical and doesn't address any foundational issues with this team, and that money is better spent elsewhere) doesn't bother you and you think the 4 year 25 mil deal we gave Buster will somehow be comparable to what the Honey Badger gets?  

Yea, you're gonna have to do better than that.  

And remember, we don't have to spend it all this year.  We're not a Tyrann away from winning the Superbowl, the division or, f*ck-it, even eight games!

• Upvote 1