joewilly12

FREE AGENT NEWS

Quick: Put a value on him. 

I say $10M.  Good backup with the outside potential to be a starting quality player.  That puts him above Fitzpatrick and McCown IMO.  The Garoppolo contract probably helps him, but the flame outs by Glennon and Osweiler hurt. I would go a bit higher, but not a crazy amount more.  He will get considerably more, considering Glennon at $18M and Osweiler $21M, probably around $20M.  It will be interesting. 

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If I’m the Jets, I’m not touching him if the price isn’t completely team sided. He hasn’t proved anything. I just like the idea of having him as reliable depth.

Got a number?

13 minutes ago, Stark said:

Smart on their part. Keenum, IMO, can't be counted on to play nearly as well as this past season. Flash in the pan and some team (please not us) is going to pay him more than he is worth to lose a lot of games.Maybe the Giants bring him in, just in case Eli gets injured... plus he'd be familiar with the system.

The Giants?  They are going to keep Eli, draft a QB high (more than $5M contract) and then pay another QB?  

19 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I would be shocked if its not Minny or Jets.

These next 2 months will make or break our team’s next 4-5 years.

Broncos will not do (win) anything anytime soon. Imo.

Eh.  It shouldn't make or break our team's next 4-5 years.  I keep saying it, but give a competent guy the worst franchise and he will completely turn it around in 3 years.  Especially since Mac is so adept at drafting these contracts we can get out of in 2 years with only millions of dead money!

On 3/7/2018 at 4:19 PM, Obrien2Toon said:

I don’t understand why a team about to make a run at a title, trading away their captain and leader on defense

Bad fit. Rams were pitiful in run D and it is tough to stop the run with 2 safeties playing LB.

19 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

I believe Ogletree was also a first round pick

Yes, he was also on his 2nd contract at better than $10M per year. Not proof it isn't a value position, though they are dumping him...

1 minute ago, varjet said:

The Jets are rebuilding.   They do not have any veterans to trade out-those guys were cut last year instead of trading-probably not much trade interest.  

GENERALLY, trades for players will not work, as the remaining contracts are too short.  

Yes, the Jets paid the price for the marijuana candy CB as the Rams paid for Talib.  Jets actually paid more-higher pick.  

I am in agreement that the Jets don't have much to trade - Wilkerson was probably the last chance.  Maybe they can move Carpenter.  

OTOH, I do not agree that trades for players generally do not work. I feel that thinking is antiquated.  The Eagles got Darby, Ajayi and Jernigan through trades.  The Pats got Cooks, Allen, Dorsett and Bademosi.  Jags got Daerus.  The times have changed, and teams will move guys that don't fit their system or when they have a surplus at a position - the way we should have with Richardson and Wilkerson. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Mike Evans just got a stupid amount of money for a guy who can’t catch.

Yeah.  Last year was probably the time to redo your WR's contract with the 2014 class coming up.  Beckham's deal will have to top this, but everybody's price will be going up.  Megatron should make a comeback - what's he worth?  $25M per?

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Rotoworld is saying that Richardson wants $7 million per year.  What am I missing here???

That is not a lot of money for a player who is very talented.  Id pay that day 1 of FA and not think twice.  

Are you one of the guys that doesn't like Watkins because of the injury history?  Richardson was kicked out of UCLA for felony theft, tore an ACL his next to last year at Colorado, had a weak rookie year, tore his ACL his 2nd year, sucked his 3rd year and had an okay season last year.  He has had one solid year and one hundred yard game in 4 seasons with an excellent QB.  His dad had a cup of coffee with the Jets. 

Richardson is a take the top off burner.  Much like Anderson.  I think we need a horse, somebody you can ride - I like Richardson, but I would take Watkins and might go for a guy like Crabtree style wise over him for the Jets.  

I don't  think Mayowa is a bad guy to have in.  He is a rotational guy.  Think of him as a replacement for Ealy, not a solution.  He should to sign for sub-$3M per with very little guarantee or bonus.  He can play if he has to, but is very low tier for a starter.  Think a lower level Calvin Pace and stop talking about the guy like he is expected to be a sack machine.  He had some injury issues last year, they may be chronic.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's the thing, everything I'm hearing here locally is the Jags are trying to lock Allen up long term but that's beside the point.  The part that is stupid and hilarious is the idea that Robinson will sign with the Jets as a lure for Cousins.  Please. 

The unknown > Blake Bortles?

To me the main issue with Robinson is his catch rate.  He's never been above 60% and has dropped every year.  He was pitiful in 2016, sub-50%.  He got his catches and yards off of a ton of attempts.

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm fine with A-Rob staying in Jax... but I would like to overhaul our entire WRs corps.. why not? What better time. We have the money, and we don't have a lot of talent we're committed to. 

Watkins, Richardson, Lee, Brown, Wright - i'd prefer all of 'em to our current crop.... (I'm also quietly hoping we make Michael Floyd our next reclamation project. 

We are about 50-50 with reclamation projects. ASJ worked out okay for all involved - we got decent production for nothing and he is getting a new contract.  Erin Henderson got a starting job and is suing the team for wrongful termination.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You would like to think our GM has a contingency plan - and is prepared to upgrade the position if we don't get him....ASJ at $4mm is fine but if he's going to spend $7mm he can do better (meaning that's what Mac could and should be thinking)

I, unlike most here, don't think Mac is an idiot or unprepared.  I think when this off-season is all said and done, if looked at objectively, Mac would have done a solid job. 

We'll have upgraded at OL, CB, RB, WR and we'll have one of the QB's (Cousins, Mayfield, Rosen, Allen, Darnold)

I believe all of that will happen, to what extent they will be "upgraded" I don't know - but I have little doubt he's going to get at least that much done.

It is literally impossible not to upgrade at QB, C, CB, EDGE and TE.  We have no legitmate players under contract.  Even if you love Burris and Skrine, they need another CB, and while Jenkins is an NFL player,I believe the only other guy they have under contract is Martin.  They do not have a single player that can snap a football. 

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So are you suggesting that it's also impossible for Mac to do a good job this off-season?

Obviously I meant from the roster last year - 

Reading my response, it seemed harsh in comparison to what you are saying.  IMO, he can do a good job, unfortunately he can also improve the team at all those positions and do a sh*tty job.  That is the danger in having all that money.  

37 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I'd be interested. 

Worth a look.  No compensation, but the Bears can match.  I don't think he will be ready to work out for anybody for some time though. 

39 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Cameron Brate just signed a 6 year $41 million deal with $18 guaranteed.

He isnt even the Bucs top TE since they drafted OJ Howard last year and he had 48 catches for 591 and 6 tds.

Not sure what planet we are on, but ASJ's agent just cracked a BIG smile

That is one way to look at it.  Brate has it all over ASJ.  He beat him out head to head and the numbers you posted are 200+ yards and 2 TDs better than ASJ's best.  That wasn't even Brate's best season.  Brate is better in every statistical category and he barely got more than ASJ is looking for, though he was an RFA.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

It’s hilarious how much you use snippets from the press as the foundation for terrible trolling. You’re a high effort, low impact troll... like the way Sanchez worked his butt off, to barely be average.

You are the Mark Sanchez of JN trolls.

...but there is video!

17 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

Still remember this pre-season game, what a beast. All to eventually get signed off the practice squad b/c that regime didn't want to admit Joe McKnight was a mistake, RIP of course.

He was on the practice squad because he sucked on special teams.  That team had Greene and Tomlinson.  They were close to a championship.  Losing good players is not usually a sign of a bad regime, it is a sign of having a good team.  This midget personally cost the Jets the Dolphins game by letting Ginn around him twice on returns.  I thought Westhoff was going to burst a blood vessel. I believe they would have been home against the Steelers if they had that win.  McKnight was better for that team than Woodhead.

11 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Funny watching Adam Sheffner on ESPN reading texts while his cohost is asking him questions.  Easily tell he was only half listening lol

Wonder if it is too late to take on some bad contracts(maybe on the Oline?) in return for some draft picks?  Anyone know how much of the $100M we HAVE to spend this year and cannot roll over to next year.    

10 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

I thought it was 80% so if it is 100M, 80M 

Pretty sure that it is 89%, but it is over a 4 year period.  The 4 year period ends in 2019, so I think they can roll it all over and don't have to spend anything this year.  The Browns rolled over like $60M.  The floor is cash spending which can be manipulated anyway.

1 minute ago, whodeawhodat said:

I knew there was a floor that they had to reach before they just cut a check to the NFL League office instead of a player.  Id be interested to know what that number is.  

Like I said, the number is over a 4 year period.  I misspoke and the next period ends in 2020, which makes sense since that is when the CBA expires.  Each team needs cash spending of 89% over that 4 year period.  You can't know the amount until you know the cap figure for the final year, which has not been set yet.  It is totally irrelevant because 1. the only punishment is to spend the money.  2.  it is subject to manipulation -for instance by changing future salaries to bonus. 3. It goes to the NFLPA, not the league office. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is how I am afraid the rest of the offseason will play out.  We are going to whiff on most big name FAs.  Over pay to sign a bunch of 2nd tier/career back-up types.  Send next year's one to Indy to move up to 3 and select Josh Allen.  Then go 2-14 behind a lousy rookie QB and a mediocre veteran. 

Macc/Bowles get fired.  And we have to try to hire a new coach/new GM with a lousy roster, limited cap space, no answer at QB and no first round pick.  Yeah, our future is bright.

What is scary is that the two alternatives are:

Bowles/Maccagnan spend every nickel to put together a team that can win some games (the 2015 plan); or

Bowles/Maccagnan are assured they will be able to return in 2019 and continue the rebuild (It only started in 2017!?)

I guess there is a third opportunity, the tell them they are guaranteed to come back and then can them anyway (the 2014 plan) 

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

I like the 2014 plan.

The only real issue with it is that doing that twice might sour some new hires.  You kind of look bad not doing what you say.  It will depend how bad the team is. There are still plenty of opportunities to add good young talent by teams dumping salary.  Plenty of it went on in 2017, and it is becoming more common, even in season.

4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

170109-Opponent-1200x675-story-top.jpg

Adding McCown back into the fold, where are those 4-6 wins?

Scary thing is that I look at this schedule and see plenty of wins. The division seems weak enough.  Jags, Pats, Packers and Vikings are tough enough games, but the rest?  Eh.

39 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Sure, there are a lot of games that aren't definite losses.  But, do you think Vegas would make us the favorite in any of them?

It is way too early to start picking odds, but I fully expect a 6-8 win team.  I am not somebody that gets excited about the schedule this early, but I see that as an easy schedule. I think many of us will be pointing to that next offseason when people are thinking our 8 wins indicate we are on the cusp of something when we played the Texans and Titans after Mariota and Watson go down, the  and the Bills dealing with a new QB, Trubisky having trouble with the new system, Browns dealing with being the Browns, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The other question would become, would the Giants want to help the Jets get a possible star at QB? The Giants are hyper-aware of how things play out in the NY media, and they love that the Jets are the clown shoes team in town. Why would they help us out?

Don't most savvy guys at least try to just throw an intermediary team something to broker a deal and then move the pick along?

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How would this play out? The Giants take #6 and repurpose it?

Actually, I was talking about the opposite.  I was thinking more along the lines of the Jets demanding a 1st for Abraham, but the Falcons did not want to give up their high-mid first traded with the Broncos for #29, then rolled that to the Jets for Abraham.  Get a team the Giants feel allowed to trade with to make the initial swap.  I think it is done in lesser deals where teams don't want to deal within the division, but the only instance I can think of is the Vikings letting the Jets trade for Favre since the Packers would not make that deal. Not the best example because the Packers saw it coming and put all kinds of contingencies in the deal so we traded for one year of drunken sexting. 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:
 @JasonLaCanfora

Donte Moncrief's deal with the Jags is a whopper - he gets $10M in 2018 with chance to earn millions more in incentives.

I liked Moncrief coming out.  I tend to read multiple draft profiles rather than actually watching tons of college ball.  Doing only that really gave me some shine to Moncrief, Chris Conley and Robert Meachem.  No real busts, but not exactly a murderer's row of receiver talent either. 

This Trumaine Johnson deal scares me.  It is big money and we are basically locked for 3.  He is an older (28) dude, this is the first time he is getting paid and he is coming off a bit of a down season.  I like the guy, but this is a big signing, not an under the radar deal.  I hope they did their homework. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Who hates every move?

+1

I knew they would make moves to improve the team and I knew they wouldn't be 0-16.  The problem with the moves made is that without a drafted franchise QB we are, at best, going to end up in the 6-9 win range.  If Bridgewater turns into a true franchise QB, where are we?  Sitting on another guy we have to pay because we know this sh*thead won't redo the deal inside.  Why didn't he do it with Fitzpatrick in 2015 of McCown last year? 

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

C52WFdkU4AA1bDm.jpg

What's your point?  What the Rams did does not interest me.  I wouldn't sign a player because the Rams or any other team thinks he is good.  The Rams also feel that they have upgraded at CB. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

newsflash:  even if they trade up for a qb in the first round, mccown is starting half the games at least.  so we're going to win in the 5-6 range if mccown stays healthy and plays like he did last year, b/c the team is getting a talent upgrade.  and if they don't trade up they could win even more games b/c they'll have those 2nd round picks as well as a 1st rounder that plays right away.

Newsflash?  I said to 6-9 wins.  How is any of this different? My point is 9 wins with McCown is fairly useless. 

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

you wrote that without a drafted franchise qb we will be in the 6-9 win range.  i responded that regardless of whether we draft a franchise qb we will be in this range b/c mccown will start at least half the season anyway and the rest of the roster is better than last year.  

Excuse me.  Maybe that was poorly worded.  I meant that we will have 6-9 wins.  With a franchise QB we have hope to build on it.  Without one, who gives a ****?

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

agreed on this.  but if mccown plays like he did last year, with an improved roster, we're not getting a pick in the top 6 again.  

Yeah.  I remember.  We picked 20th in the 2016 draft.  Who gives a ****?  I know I didn't.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company