FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Rams GM took a DT, 5’9 WR, and huge bust at tackle at #2 with his first 3 first round picks. And yet here Les Snead is looking alright today. 

There’s no perfect path. But it does take time and little luck. And as much as you wanna hate the positions, they’re still good players. 

Very true.  And Snead realized that until you have a QB you are essentially spinning your wheels every year.  That’s why I don’t fault any of these GMs who have the balls to trade up and get a guy they believe in.  It may not work all the time, but you HAVE to take a chance on that position.  Waiting for the right prospect to fall to you organically in the draft rarely happens.  

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'm fine with A-Rob staying in Jax... but I would like to overhaul our entire WRs corps.. why not? What better time. We have the money, and we don't have a lot of talent we're committed to. 

Watkins, Richardson, Lee, Brown, Wright - i'd prefer all of 'em to our current crop.... (I'm also quietly hoping we make Michael Floyd our next reclamation project. 

Watkins, Richardson and Lee, feel like 2014 WR draft discussion dejavu......Lol.  Still amazed Idzik somehow left that draft with Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Sad isn't it. If you look at the bevy of WR from 2014 & 2015 classes, and the RBs from 2016 & 2017... and ALL the franchise QBs who've now established themselves...

Then look at us. lol... 

Very true.  Look at that first round in 2014, forget the receivers, tons of Pro Bowl talent and Idzik landed on Calvin Pryor...Lol.  Complete incompetence.  So many offensive skill players and still nada on this roster.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

and if they sign cousins we're drafting another defensive player in the first round.  

Probably.  And it won’t even be an edge rusher.  

Allen Robinson, Sammy Watkins and Donte Moncrief are all only 24 years old.  Still babies in this league.  

21 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

And yet hilariously the Jets can still beat their offer. 6 >>> 12, two top 50 seconds >>>> seconds outside the top 50...Both teams have all the future draft picks to offer. 

Again, everyone's in a rush to sh*t their pants and elevate the Bills but lets wait for them to actually do something that really matters. Their best shot at jumping the Jets is if/when the Jets land Cousins anyway, in which case the Bills are playing catch up. 

This is like the Cubs fans who tried to make the Vaunted Brewers a thing. 

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if indy trades out of the top 5, we're getting chubb

if indy does not trade out of the top 5, we're getting either mayfield or allen, but if mccags won't take allen then i think he may look to trade back with a team like arizona to see if they're game for taking him.  if mccags is too much of a wimp to trade up, maybe he can get a #1 next year by trading back.  then the next gm can get us a qb.

If Cousins doesn’t come here then Mac HAS to trade up.  He can not stay at 6 and assume he will get his guy.  Next years QB class is weak to say the least.  I can’t imagine that he would be “happy” with just any of the top 4 QB prospects, there has to be a guy they really like over the rest and he should do what it takes to draft him. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

mccags likes to 'inquire' but isn't a go for it guy.  that's fine if you have a qb.  he acts as if nothing is critical and that he can draft whomever he wants, stick some retread in as qb and it will all work itself out.

Agreed, you need to take chances to land that QB, hopefully Mac sees this doesn’t think “ hey Mason Rudolph and Josh McCown sound like a hell of a QB room”.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

It may mean that Powell is on his way out--either in trade or outright cut.

Probably, depending on how the draft plays out.  They could conceivably keep 4 RBs on the 53 though.  

14 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Yeah the 4th year doesn't excite me

Nothing’s guaranteed past year 3.  It’s just window dressing.  

It is kinda entertaining reading everyone’s takes on this free agency period.  Who did they think the Jets were going to sign?  The better offensive talent was never coming here given the roster, Cousins was never coming here given the roster, as long as Maccagnan didn’t hand out any long term deals to guys in their 30s, that was all to be expected.  At the end of the day this is free agency and should never be the primary way you build your roster.  If anything it just shows how important drafting your talent is and spotlights how bad Mac has been doing so.  

This is Macs best and last chance to get his QB.  It can’t be a 3 year project, can’t be a guy they declare will not see a snap in year one but a guy who is expected to be their undisputed QB1 in year 2.  If he fails to do so it will be a miserable failure especially given the options this year.  This whole offseason comes down to this draft, the rest of this free agency stuff is entertainment until then.  No need to get all worked up until the end of April, then the pitchforks and torches and billboards can come out.  

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Hated how it started off and the news of McCown being the starter made me lose it but as of now, I like the approach we've taken. These guys aren't aging vets looking for one last hurrah. They're as young as you're gonna get for FA and filling big needs. It all means nothing though if they don't get their guy at QB in the draft.

Exactly, and not for nothing this whole McCown being the starter thing is classic free agency rumors.  It’s was tweeted out by one random dude and re-tweeted as fact by everyone else.  It’s all about the draft, always is.  

1 minute ago, dcJet said:

That wasn't gonna get it done.  Mac doesn't crazy overpay.  That's why no Arob or Sammy or Cousins.

It’s also because those guys didn’t want to come here if there were other options. Why would they come here over the teams they went to? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Any chance Demario gets resigned?  Could it work out with him and Williamson?

I doubt it, similar players as both are 2 down ILBers. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

What does that have to do with signing a sh*tty player for a ridiculous contract? 

Mac had to spend some of his money, at least he is under 30. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Yes, he is.  He was on of the worst corners in the league last year.  

I guess...but you dont over spend for sh*tty corners.  We've seen this before very recently. 

By the time this team is ready to make their run with the rookie QB they draft this year, Johnson will be long gone.  

• Post of the Week 1

Other than Crowell has any other offensive skill players signed with the Jets yet?   

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

going to have to draft those at this point, starting with a quarterback.  that's why not trading up and getting a qb is very appealing, keeping those 2nd rounders.

Risky staying put, if they were sitting at 3 and still had those second round picks how different would this draft look?   Meaningless wins again keep the Jets from being in prime shape for a draft.  

• Like 1

all i'm saying is that those 2nd round picks could be a rb and wr.  but the qb is more important.

when push comes to shove, if the jets trade up i don't think it's for mayfield, it would be for darnold or rosen.

Agreed, I want no part of Mayfield in the first round at all.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

here's the problem i have with this.  the reason he'd be in this predicament is b/c he was too cheap to trade up for a better qb. now he's going to tank the rest of his draft for an inferior one?  it's negligence.

Exactly, if Mac trades up it better be from 6 and not from the second round.  If you’re giving up picks,  give them up for a premium pick.  Otherwise just take Jackson at 6 and keep the rest of your draft intact.  

• Post of the Week 1

he's got some work to do.  i can't see them drafting allen, it would cost him his job.  it's mayfield or rosen, whoever makes it to 3, or he's playing with fire.

Look, I would despise Mac for drafting Jackson at 6, and Mayfield for that matter.  IMO there are two QBs to target and trade up for.  Darnold and Rosen. If one of those 2 are available at 3, Mac needs to get to 3 no if ands or buts.  

23 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it gets murkier if the discussion is about trading up for mayfield.  

Way more.  IMO he is riskier than Allen.  

It’s hilarious that everyone was bitching about the lack of offensive skill players signed and are now bitching the Jets didn’t sign a hybrid safety/corner....Lol.  Make up your minds people.  

• Upvote 1