joewilly12

FREE AGENT NEWS

20 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Oh god not another offseason of Glennon crap lol

McCown resigned.  Glennon to back up.  Hack keeping the bench warm.  Welcome to your 2018 Jets.

This would make me consider switching team allegiances for the first time in my life.  I'm feeling MIN or JAX as possibilities.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Teddy Bridgewater + Allen Robinson = instant improved offense. 

Assuming they aren't both riding rehab bikes on Sundays.  Probably a risk worth taking but we can't cry if it goes bad then.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Having $100 million in cap space is simply the Hallmark way of saying 'we suck'.

More specifically it's saying "we suck at drafting so we have cut almost everyone we drafted in the last 5 years"

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

This Giants trade makes me think that they don't go QB at 2, If Barkley goes 1 do the Giants take Nelson or look to move back? I find this whole offseason more fascinating than any in recent memory.

I'm wondering as well.  Trading back might be more in the cards if they want to replenish the picks.  Definitely a tough draft to predict so far.

The Giants had $25.5MM in cap space before they got Ogletree, who will count $10MM against the cap including his roster bonus (if I have all the numbers right).

That seems to barely leave them enough to sign Norwell and their rookies without doing some restructuring.  And that assumes they don't have to do anything more for OBJ (yeah right).  It feels to me like a team with, say a LOT of cap could sneak in there with a big (over-market) offer to the All Pro Guard and steal him away.  

Just sayin'

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Calling bullsh*t on this almost immediately

I don't expect them to build the third super OL in two decades, that sh*t clearly does not work, but expect at least two new starters.

Norwell is a top-5 OG in the NFL.  Neither of our guys is legitimately in the top-50.  But Macc seems 'happy' with our guys while he sits on a pile of salary cap he will be hard-pressed to use and then end up spending in a blind panic.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Wow the Jets are actually being considered, or used to drive up the price for his preferred landing spot, hopefully the latter.

You know that girl you hung out with when you wanted to make another girl jealous?

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Well the Bills just acquired their final piece to land the QB they want they swapped Pick 21 for Pick 12 in return for Glenn.  So now it’s 12, and 22 for whoever is willing to trade back.

Damn, they are going hard at this.  Suddenly, they can offer more than the Jets.

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The Bills are being really aggressive. They hold the number 12 overall pick now after this Cordy Glenn trade. If we don't get Cousins we are going to have to be aggressive in the draft in order to land a QB. Most likely going to have to move up...

Well going purely by the trade chart, our top 3 picks are still worth a little more than BUFs top 3 picks.  2,540 vs. 2,350.  BUF has the top pick in the 3rd round which is worth 265 vs. 230 for ours so that doesn't do much to close the gap.  In a way, I'm relieved that Cordy Glenn is off the board, because it was hard to know how another team would value him.

Ultimately, we still should control the board if we are determined to trade up but one never knows. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Paradis said:

It's a good thing we're going hard too... 

Right?

Going hard or hardly going?

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Just entering this debate here, did the Jets talk to him, or want to talk with him?

I never heard a whisper of the Jets being interested in Norwell.   

Which greatly concerns me.  Because sitting with an extra $14MM in unused cap room while Norwell is blasting open lanes for Fournette to run through is going to make me feel really good.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

mccags' theory is that you can find offensive linemen and rbs later in drafts.  so unless you're taking a wr or qb there's no reason to overdraft or overpay an offensive player.  let's remember this when they fail to sign cousins, draft chubb and then a cb in the 2nd round.

Understood.  And in general, if we weren't sitting on top of the list of most unused cap room I would likely agree.  But we need to deploy the salary cap in ways that maximize our on-field talent for the next few years.  Having one of the best 3 OGs in the game is good for our soon-to-be new QB, our soon-to-be new RB and the entire offense in general.  Having extra unused cap is not useful to anyone but the owner.  

Now if the draft were conducted auction style, I would be much happier :)

Someone please tell me that Macc knows that isn't how it works...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

do you have any idea if this precludes them from trading up, is this instead of mccown, or is this a teddy+josh=2018 nyj qbs?

This can NOT be an excuse for not drafting a QB with our first pick.

12 minutes ago, morny said:

Bringing Crowell in has to indicate we are preparing to blow a load of draft picks to trade up. Surely, right? 

If so, it's a decent move in a poor RB FA market. 

Only centre, guard, cb and wr to upgrade now then. Easy....

Bringing Crowell, Butler, Norwell, Robinson and Jensen in would have indicated we were prepared to spend all our picks to trade up.  

What sucks...we had the cap room to go after all of those guys.  Instead, we got Crowell, McCown, and $75MM of cap room with very few players worth spending even half of it on left.  Maybe we get Jensen.  But with Richburg signed elsewhere, it's only going to cost more or be harder to do.  

Macc looks to have been completely unprepared for this week.  He is whirling in circles while other GMs run past and around him.  CLE is a team on a mission.  BUF is a team with a plan.  JAX, PHI and SF have improved themselves.  NYJ is a team that has no clear direction and looks to be taking no steps towards rapid improvement.  And just don't start with "let's give him more time".  There is no way we can spend our remaining salary cap better than if we'd gone out and actually aggressively targeted some of the guys who are already gone.  Teams with far less cap than us found a way to do it.

I'm finding myself leaning towards adopting the Jaguars this year.  Watching Fournette run behind Norwell along with that defense will be far more entertaining than anything McCown and the Jets will be able to do this year.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Meanwhile the giants don't seem to know what they're doing. They took a bad offensive line and made it significantly worse. 

Then added a slow, past his prime RB.....

So here's a thought...perhaps crazy but still...

The Giants lost out on Norwell, lost Richburg, and with Pugh and Fluker also free agents their bad OL is now suddenly a dumpster fire.  Like perhaps the worst in the NFL. 

So...without much help in FA, they need to address it in the draft and not in a small way.  Which leads me to my idea.  #2 is too high to take any of the OTs this year, and too high for Nelson, but trading down a bit could get them both.

Say they traded from #2 to #6 and picked up our #37 and our 3rd rounder and maybe a #2 next season.  #6 is probably the perfect spot for Nelson.  And they can use a lower pick to move up from #34 to grab one of the OTs that get into the bottom of round 1 or just wait and pick up a guy who makes it to that pick.  Then #37 is still high enough to get one of the top RBs or maybe a Center like Ragnow.  It's an almost immediate booster shot for their offense that it badly needs.  If they take a QB they are pretty much writing off the season and wasting Eli's last good year or two but fixing the OL in one draft would be pretty nice.

I don't think Nelson will still be available at #12, so that makes trading with BUF a lot more difficult.  And the fact that they were so high on Norwell makes me think Nelson would be high on their draft board.  Frankly, I think it's a trade that really works for both teams and would be a perfect 'first trade ever' between the teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Agreed that it now looks like the Browns will go QB with the first pick. But, after the Browns select a QB, how do the Giants NOT take Barkley? And I really question the Giants trading out of the first 7 or 8 picks because the cream of the crop in this draft is the Quarterbacks, Barkley, Chubb, and Fitzpatrick. This is the Jets great advantage in trading up. If a team above the Jets makes a trade with the Jets, they can still get Barkely, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick. If a team picking in the top 5 trades with the Bills, they can say good bye to their shot at one of these guys. I think this makes the Jets a far better trading partner for the Giants, Colts or Browns than the Bills or any other team. I really can not envision the Jets screwing this up. 

You might want to let that last sentence roll around in your head a little bit :)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Jets pact with Spencer Long set to become official when the new league year begins this afternoon

Meh.  I don't know much about him.  Not sure he's much of an upgrade.  Anyone have some intel?  As it stands, I wouldn't hate us taking a Center on day 2 if a good one falls right.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed, but I don’t think either Maccagnan nor Bowles have ever wanted any part of drafting a QB at six regardless, even before signing Teddy. Even if only superficially, yesterday’s signings give them the cover they need to go in a different direction. 

Maybe in their own minds, but nowhere else.  In no rational thoughtspace are McCown and Bridgewater on one-year deals a stable QB platform to build around for the next few years.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

true but at this point in mccags' 4th draft, any qb they take outside the 1st round has no shot of playing.  bowles can head off playing falk or lauretta but the national pressure to play someone like mayfield would cost him his job.

Just imagining the narrative on Sunday broadcasts if Mayfield is backing up McCown makes me laugh.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

#Jets source to me "No, that [McCown & Bridgewater] doesn't take us out of the running for a QB at #6 at all, we had to get a talent infusion at the position, we don't have another viable starter on the roster."

So you're saying Hack and Petty aren't working out?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I have. If the Jets walk away from this draft without Rosen, Darnold, Mayfiled, Allen, or Jackson, I'm going to start rooting for another team because there is no excuse for not getting one of these guys when they have the 6th pick. Either take who is left at 6, or trade up since no one else can offer what the Jets have i.e the 6th pick, which would end up being either Barkley, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick.

I'm totally with you.  In fact, I think I have already targeted JAX as my backup team.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

him or rosen.  it could go darnold/rosen, then indy takes offers.  for all we know a team like arizona could jump to 3.  

ARI doesn't have nearly as much draft pick value as NYJ or BUF.  It would take much more than their entire 2018 draft (by value).  Something like all of their 2018 picks and their 2019 first would probably be in the neighborhood.  Not to say they wouldn't do it but it's a brutal price.  Compare that with what we would need to put forward to equate to the same value.  Our #6, #37 and our 4th rounder.  In reality, it will likely cost even more but it comes down to whether IND feels they like the options at #15 vs. #6 vs. #3 (not trading at all).

If they stay, that's great.  That takes Chubb off the board ahead of us which is perfect.  At #6, they still have a shot at Chubb and if not, then they have their pick of LBs like Smith or Edmunds (their biggest need probably).  AT #15, those two are definitely off the board so they can now pick from Landry, Key or Evans.  And then in round 2, they would have our 5th pick in the round vs. ARI's 15th.  I just see no scenario where we should be outbid for that pick by ARI.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Maybe one day I'll get into the deep structure on it.  Today is not that day for reasons.

Avg. of 30-32 mil per year, 4-5 years in length. 90-110 gauranteed.

Wow...so substantially more (compared to $28MM/year).  He really wanted to go to MIN.  Can't blame him.  But forgive me for not wishing them good luck up there.  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Pac said:

Wait he's been beat before?  I was hoping we'd sign the CB who never gets beat.

Well Revis IS a Free Agent.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Without looking, name one cornerback who started in last year’s Super Bowl. 

Malcom Butl...oh wait.

[edit] F-U Prime..sniped me by seconds!

[edit 2] that's weird.  Your post was above mine and now it's below.  Maybe I sniped you :P.  

• Haha 1

Ryan Jensen still available.  If he signs for less than we paid Spencer Long you can add that to the list of Macc's missteps.  Seems weird with all our cap we wouldn't go hard after the quality guys.  Unless they are looking to draft one in a fairly deep class.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Cant control my excitement. 

Neither can Todd

bowles.jpg

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I haven’t really seen any player comps but as a passer he looks like Marino to me

That's the comp I've had in my mind since the A&M game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

703AF56A-697C-4700-8025-8BFB09C2589E.jpeg

So that actually favors the Bills slightly in terms of value.  Why would the Colts do that.  For that value, the Jets could put up #6, #37, #72 and a 2019 3rd, giving the Colts a decent shot at still getting Chubb.  For a sure opportunity at Rosen, I'd do that.  If the Bills got to make that deal and took Rosen, i would be fuming.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

No matter what the Giants, Gettleman are saying, I can't imagine a scenario where they pass on Darnold or Rosen. Even if Eli plays another year, if Davis Webb looks like a QB, you don't pass on a franchise QB. And from all the opinions on here, those 2 are franchise QBs. 

On top of that, how can the Giants trade that pick, especially to the Jets. What if that pick traded to the Jets, turns out to be a franchise QB. There is just no way the Giants can be the team responsible for giving the Jets a franchise QB.

It really is just fan wishful thinking. Trying to come up with scenarios where the Giants, who don't plan on picking two again, will pass on a franchise QB because Eli maybe plays another year or two, or Webb is a legitimate reason to pass on a franchise QB. And it's psychedelic drugs that makes you believe the Giants would trade with the Jets to get a franchise QB.

This "Giants would never trade with the Jets" narrative is very popular here.  Might even be right.  But Gettleman's priority is to improve HIS team.  I can see not trading within the division, but in an ideal world, he should have no hesitation trading with the Jets if it helps his team get better.  I also think it's 50-50 if they take a QB.  Honestly the move that would help them the most is to trade down a bit and take Nelson (maybe at 5 or 6).  Their OL is so very terribad that bringing in a QB with that first pick means throwing away the 2019 season before it even starts.  Just like people here are all over taking White or Falk at the top of round 2, that could be a tactic for the Giants as well.  

Again, not saying your take is wrong, but I don't think it's nearly as sure a thing as you think it is.  People that are certain of an outcome they truly can't control or predict are often doomed to look foolish.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

THIS is the year to make the move and spend the picks.  There are a few solid QBs and we're within striking distance at #6.  I can't see it lining up better than it does right now.  With our defensive improvements and Bridgewater starting I could see the Jets easily winning 6 or 7 games, drafting around 13th next year with maybe only 2 or 3 worthy QB prospects.

I'll forgive Macc and the Jets if they make a bold move for a guy like Rosen or Darnold and it doesn't work out.  I won't forgive them if they get leapfrogged by the Bills, Cardinals, etc. because they weren't willing to do something like throw in an extra 2019 3rd round pick and we have to watch Josh Rosen lead the Bills to division championships for the next decade as he takes the torch from Tom Brady in the AFC East.

You are my lobster. 

Honestly, I will not miss the picks we spend to move up.  Not now, not ever.  No player drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round this year or even next year is going to make me glad we stayed put and missed out on Rosen or Darnold.  Even if we use next year's 1st.  Teams do it quite often and so far, I haven't heard any PHI, LAR, KC or HOU fans complaining about not having a 1st rounder.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I don't see it. If the consensus is that there are two franchise QBs, as the board believes, you can't be the GM that passes on a Franchise QB because Eli may play 2 more years. On top of that, did Eli play particular well last season? From his play, you believe a GM will warrant that enough of a reason to pass on a franchise QB? And, imagine being the GM that trades the #2 pick that ends up being a franchise QB. And then add that to trading that player to the cross town NYJ.

If the Giants pass on a QB or trade the pick, the reason has to be they just don't view that player as a franchise QB. There is no other explanation. You can't be picking #2 and have any other explanation.

The only player I think he could pass on a QB for is Barkley.  There are good RBs in the draft, but Barkley is possibly that once-in-a-decade guy.  You can build an offense around him and OBJ with any number of QBs but again, only if you have an OL.  There are so many needs for that team that trading down is actually a siren song.  And they could arguably trade down to 6, pick up a number of premium picks in the process, and still get a QB, maybe Allen or Mayfield.  So if they don't value them very differently, that's an option.  All I'm saying is, the NFL draft makes fools of all of us every single year.  Don't assume anything definitely will or definitely will not happen and if you're Macc, you plan for every possible outcome so you don't come away from this draft without a top-4 QB pick.

If we can pick up part of the tab and turn Skrine into a mid-round draft pick, I'm all for it.  Use that cap!

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company