• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 players Jets must avoid in free agency

Connor Rogers

Published

3 hours ago 

on

Dec 10, 2017; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell (26) picks up a first down in the fourth quarter against the Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field. The Steelers won 39-38. Mandatory Credit: Philip G. Pavely-USA TODAY Sports

Philip G. Pavely-USA TODAY Sports

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The New York Jets have a ton of cap space and understandably the hype around their potential free agency spending spree has grown. While that money certainly helps. who should the team avoid so it’s spent right? Let’s break it down.

1. Trumaine Johnson, CB, Los Angeles Rams

The Jets need to revamp their cornerback depth chart, but spending big at the position isn’t necessarily the way to go. Johnson turned 28 years old in the beginning of January and as New York fans know quite well, corners often hit a wall the closer they get to the age of 30.

After back to back years of being franchise tagged, it’s safe to say Johnson will be looking for a long-term deal. He has the desired length and cover skills for Todd Bowles system (which relies heavily on the position), but this is the type of contract that could look very bad halfway through year number two of the deal.

With a loaded draft class at the position and younger, potentially cheaper options such as E.J. Gaines from Buffalo on the market, this is a no-brainer situation to avoid.

2. Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Detroit Lions

I’m not sure there is anyone on the planet that bangs the table for the Jets to land a pass rusher more than me, but here we are. Ansah has battled injuries and will turn 29 in May. Sinking money into a player that is a question mark to consistently be on the field is how teams find themselves in salary cap hell.

It’s been an interesting last couple of seasons for Ansah, who had 14.5 sacks in 2015 but then just two in 2016. This year he had six going into week 16, but had three sacks in each of the final two games to finish strong. When he’s on, he’s a dynamic threat to get after the quarterback. The problem is, he’s simply not a reliable option for a team that will need to hit home runs in free agency this year.

3. Le’Veon Bell, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers

This is very similar to the Trumaine Johnson situation, but rather than age it’s Bell’s workload in recent seasons that is the concern. He’s expected to have gigantic contract demands that could have long-term guaranteed money tied to them.

Since tearing multiple ligaments in his knee two years ago, he’s had 742 touches in just two seasons. He’s a great player and the most complete running back in the NFL, but will he slow down soon? That’s the gamble teams are wondering about and with an abundance of other running back options both in the draft and free agency, it’s not a risk worth taking.<

4. Sam Bradford, QB, Minnesota Vikings

Let’s say the Jets miss out on landing Kirk Cousins. At this point, prepare yourselves for every other free agent quarterback being tied to the team. Sam Bradford unfortunately can’t stay on the field, no matter how much he flashes when he does play.

Option B should be to bring back Josh McCown and draft a quarterback for the future. It’s that simple.

5. Terrelle Pryor, WR, Washington Redskins

After a breakout year in 2016 where he had over 1,000 yards in Cleveland, Pryor was a free agent dud for the Redskins last year. It’s hard to believe he’ll already be 29 this upcoming season, but for most teams he’ll still be worth taking a one year flyer on.

The Jets are not one of those teams. They have a deep threat in Robby Anderson (even if he’s suspended, it won’t be beyond three or four games) and Quincy Enunwa will be returning to a core that also includes Jermaine Kearse, Chad Hanse and ArDarius Stewart.

There are much better options heading into the free agent market that include Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry and Sammy Watkins. If the team wants to tone the spending at the position, Paul Richardson could be an option as well as a trade for a more productive veteran that hits the block.

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Good for him.  I don't even really have any interest in the Jets bringing him in, with the sole exception of them being 100% committed to getting a QB at the top of the draft, and maybe having some interest in him as a transition guy.  With that said, there's no reason the Bengals should have been able to hang onto him for an extra year.  I'm never typically a fan of player holdouts, but if the NFL started allowing teams to get away with crap like that, you couldn't reasonably expect players to respect it.  Here's hoping the same ends up being the case for Bridgewater.

Quick: Put a value on him. 

I say $10M.  Good backup with the outside potential to be a starting quality player.  That puts him above Fitzpatrick and McCown IMO.  The Garoppolo contract probably helps him, but the flame outs by Glennon and Osweiler hurt. I would go a bit higher, but not a crazy amount more.  He will get considerably more, considering Glennon at $18M and Osweiler $21M, probably around $20M.  It will be interesting. 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I say $10M.  Good backup with the outside potential to be a starting quality player.  That puts him above Fitzpatrick and McCown IMO.  The Garoppolo contract probably helps him, but the flame outs by Glennon and Osweiler hurt. I would go a bit higher, but not a crazy amount more.  He will get considerably more, considering Glennon at $18M and Osweiler $21M, probably around $20M.  It will be interesting. 

If I’m the Jets, I’m not touching him if the price isn’t completely team sided. He hasn’t proved anything. I just like the idea of having him as reliable depth.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wouldn’t mind giving him an opportunity to battle it out with a rookie but I’m sure he is looking for a definite starter spot. 

Rosen/ AJ Mcarron/ Hack

Would love to have that combo on the outside chance he turns into something. If not, move on to the rookie.  But like you said I’m sure he wants a clear cut situation and be the guy and I’m sure for a good chunk of money. 

28 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Would love to have that combo on the outside chance he turns into something. If not, move on to the rookie.  But like you said I’m sure he wants a clear cut situation and be the guy and I’m sure for a good chunk of money. 

Yes but he has a lot going against him as well. He's largely unproven, and there are a few proven options available like Cousins, Keenum, and (possibly) Foles. Add in the fact that there are several intriguing QBs in this year's draft, and his price may not be as high as you think. 

He may even take a one year "prove it" kind of deal. I would prefer Cousins, but I wouldn't be opposed to signing Mccarron on the cheap and taking a QB in the draft.

33 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think he gets $18M on a one year deal. Could look like a multi year deal but will be similar to Glennons.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Good for him.  I don't even really have any interest in the Jets bringing him in, with the sole exception of them being 100% committed to getting a QB at the top of the draft, and maybe having some interest in him as a transition guy.  With that said, there's no reason the Bengals should have been able to hang onto him for an extra year.  I'm never typically a fan of player holdouts, but if the NFL started allowing teams to get away with crap like that, you couldn't reasonably expect players to respect it.  Here's hoping the same ends up being the case for Bridgewater.

The Bengals are notoriously stingy.  Good for Maccarron.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

5 players Jets must avoid in free agency

Connor Rogers

Published

3 hours ago 

on

Dec 10, 2017; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell (26) picks up a first down in the fourth quarter against the Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field. The Steelers won 39-38. Mandatory Credit: Philip G. Pavely-USA TODAY Sports

Philip G. Pavely-USA TODAY Sports

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The New York Jets have a ton of cap space and understandably the hype around their potential free agency spending spree has grown. While that money certainly helps. who should the team avoid so it’s spent right? Let’s break it down.

1. Trumaine Johnson, CB, Los Angeles Rams

The Jets need to revamp their cornerback depth chart, but spending big at the position isn’t necessarily the way to go. Johnson turned 28 years old in the beginning of January and as New York fans know quite well, corners often hit a wall the closer they get to the age of 30.

After back to back years of being franchise tagged, it’s safe to say Johnson will be looking for a long-term deal. He has the desired length and cover skills for Todd Bowles system (which relies heavily on the position), but this is the type of contract that could look very bad halfway through year number two of the deal.

With a loaded draft class at the position and younger, potentially cheaper options such as E.J. Gaines from Buffalo on the market, this is a no-brainer situation to avoid.

2. Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Detroit Lions

I’m not sure there is anyone on the planet that bangs the table for the Jets to land a pass rusher more than me, but here we are. Ansah has battled injuries and will turn 29 in May. Sinking money into a player that is a question mark to consistently be on the field is how teams find themselves in salary cap hell.

It’s been an interesting last couple of seasons for Ansah, who had 14.5 sacks in 2015 but then just two in 2016. This year he had six going into week 16, but had three sacks in each of the final two games to finish strong. When he’s on, he’s a dynamic threat to get after the quarterback. The problem is, he’s simply not a reliable option for a team that will need to hit home runs in free agency this year.

3. Le’Veon Bell, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers

This is very similar to the Trumaine Johnson situation, but rather than age it’s Bell’s workload in recent seasons that is the concern. He’s expected to have gigantic contract demands that could have long-term guaranteed money tied to them.

Since tearing multiple ligaments in his knee two years ago, he’s had 742 touches in just two seasons. He’s a great player and the most complete running back in the NFL, but will he slow down soon? That’s the gamble teams are wondering about and with an abundance of other running back options both in the draft and free agency, it’s not a risk worth taking.<

4. Sam Bradford, QB, Minnesota Vikings

Let’s say the Jets miss out on landing Kirk Cousins. At this point, prepare yourselves for every other free agent quarterback being tied to the team. Sam Bradford unfortunately can’t stay on the field, no matter how much he flashes when he does play.

Option B should be to bring back Josh McCown and draft a quarterback for the future. It’s that simple.

5. Terrelle Pryor, WR, Washington Redskins

After a breakout year in 2016 where he had over 1,000 yards in Cleveland, Pryor was a free agent dud for the Redskins last year. It’s hard to believe he’ll already be 29 this upcoming season, but for most teams he’ll still be worth taking a one year flyer on.

The Jets are not one of those teams. They have a deep threat in Robby Anderson (even if he’s suspended, it won’t be beyond three or four games) and Quincy Enunwa will be returning to a core that also includes Jermaine Kearse, Chad Hanse and ArDarius Stewart.

There are much better options heading into the free agent market that include Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry and Sammy Watkins. If the team wants to tone the spending at the position, Paul Richardson could be an option as well as a trade for a more productive veteran that hits the block.

No arguments here.

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Unproven as he is should result in a deal heavy on incentives. Most other years that wouldn’t happen due to desperation and scarcity for QBs. This year not so much, though there’s often at least one GM who sees what he wants to see (and further, is too nervous to bet his career on a college QB).

I think $10m (give or take $2m) is fair. Maybe less as a base if he can double it or more with reasonable performance incentives are met. If he somehow tops out in the 4500yd/30td/65% range then NLTBE incentives that bump it to $20m+ sound totally reasonable on paper, even if unlikely to be offered or reached. 

I honestly don't mind if the Jet did not pursue ANY of these FAs. 

I'd rather have Claiborne back on a short term deal than sign T.Johnson to a long term deal. I believe the Jets are in talks with Mo C. right now, so this will probably be the route they take.

I fully expect Skrine to be cut, so it woudl not surprise me if they went after a CB in the draft.  

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I honestly don't mind if the Jet did not pursue ANY of these FAs. 

I'd rather have Claiborne back on a short term deal than sign T.Johnson to a long term deal. I believe the Jets are in talks with Mo C. right now, so this will probably be the route they take.

I fully expect Skrine to be cut, so it woudl not surprise me if they went after a CB in the draft.  

They'll be no need for Skrine when they draft Minkah. 

37 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If they are going to go that route, I would just re-sign McCown for another 1 year deal

29 minutes ago, kelly said:

i think that's what mac is gonna do  ;)

Sweet. then we could just alternate starting QB's each week to try to keep them healthy ... and still have a losing record.... lol

lets not do this.

Archived