FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

4 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Getting 1 of the 4 would be fine if all four were equally projected to be stars.  I think most teams would consider Darnold and Rosen to be better prospects than Allen and Mayfield.  

Buffalo getting someone like Rosen to be the face of the franchise while we sit Allen for two years while he figures out how to complete 10 yard passes would be an absolute disaster.

Allen would have been a HOF if he played in the 1960s.  It’s a different game and accuracy is everything.  I think if we have to take a QB with questionable accuracy, I would rather have Jackson’s athletic ability much lower than 6 than Allen’s at 6.

I'm just not sure that's the case - not at all.  There are many that believe Allen will be the first QB drafted and most others believe if he's not the first he'll be the second. 

There are more mock drafts that I've seen that have Rosen falling to us than Allen.  I haven't seen one with Allen in fact (some Mayfield)

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly, if Mac trades up it better be from 6 and not from the second round.  If you’re giving up picks,  give them up for a premium pick.  Otherwise just take Jackson at 6 and keep the rest of your draft intact.  

that would be an epic fail in my book.  If we don't get one of the top 4 QBs, then I want Chubb or Barkley and a prospect near the top of the next tier of QBs like Jackson or Laulletta. 

Just now, Augustiniak said:

he's got some work to do.  i can't see them drafting allen, it would cost him his job.  it's mayfield or rosen, whoever makes it to 3, or he's playing with fire.

Look, I would despise Mac for drafting Jackson at 6, and Mayfield for that matter.  IMO there are two QBs to target and trade up for.  Darnold and Rosen. If one of those 2 are available at 3, Mac needs to get to 3 no if ands or buts.  

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm just not sure that's the case - not at all.  There are many that believe Allen will be the first QB drafted and most others believe if he's not the first he'll be the second. 

There are more mock drafts that I've seen that have Rosen falling to us than Allen.  I haven't seen one with Allen in fact (some Mayfield)

good. and i hope to god or whoever you believe in Rosen falls right in our laps. I am going to laugh so hard at the "draft allen" camp in about 3 seasons...

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Again, Barkley might have been the better choice, given you were getting a top 4 QB GUARANTEED.

All of this is irrelevant since I first posted this, because they handed a huge chunk of money to Carlos Hyde.  They are not doing that and then signing Barkley to be their starter.

They will go QB with one, and perhaps trade out of number 4 to a team trying to jump the Broncos and Jets for a QB (cough Buffalo cough)

To add to this, Barkley not going at 1 might be good, as we knew the Browns were going to go QB with one of their picks.  Now, with Barkley going to (potentially the Giants), it might leave us with one of the top 4.  I think we get one of the top 4 if we want. 

If Barkley is there at 4 they're taking him - or trading with the Jets or Denver - to assure they still get him. 

I don't care how much they paid someone else.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

THIS is the year to fix the offense, with a top 6 pick in round 1 and 2 good 2nd rounders and a high 3rd rounder.  this franchise can't keep deferring offense until the universe is aligned and the qb falls to us.

Agreed.  But if your choices at 6 are Chubb or Nelson, how the hell do you take a guard over a pass rusher.  If the QBs go in front us because Buffalo was willing to give up 150% of the draft value chart, there are no other offensive players rated anywhere near as high as Chubb.

The ONLY problem I can envision is if the draft goes like Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Barkley, Chubb..

Then the three highest rated players are Allen (major project,) Minkah Fitzpatrick and Denzel Ward (neither positions of need,) or Nelson.

Just now, Stark said:

good. and i hope to god or whoever you believe in Rosen falls right in our laps. I am going to laugh so hard at the "draft allen" camp in about 3 seasons...

I don't want Allen either - I'm just saying you see these GM's fall in love with natural talent every year.  This guy has everything they look for....They all think they can fix him.

If they fix him he's a hall of famer though - teams will roll the dice.  Especially a big guy like that in the bad Buffalo or Cleveland weather. 

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Look, I would despise Mac for drafting Jackson at 6, and Mayfield for that matter.  IMO there are two QBs to target and trade up for.  Darnold and Rosen. If one of those 2 are available at 3, Mac needs to get to 3 no if ands or buts.  

it gets murkier if the discussion is about trading up for mayfield.  

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

Agreed.  But if your choices at 6 are Chubb or Nelson, how the hell do you take a guard over a pass rusher.  If the QBs go in front us because Buffalo was willing to give up 150% of the draft value chart, there are no other offensive players rated anywhere near as high as Chubb.

The ONLY problem I can envision is if the draft goes like Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Barkley, Chubb..

Then the three highest rated players are Allen (major project,) Minkah Fitzpatrick and Denzel Ward (neither positions of need,) or Nelson.

You take Allen.  It's why you have two veteran QB's on the roster.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Two years ago, there were plenty of mocks that had Carson Wentz falling to the Jets at 20.  Right now teams are not showing their hands.  Could Cleveland actually take Barkley or Allen, sure but it would be an incredible shock.  And two years later it would prove to be an incredible error.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You take Allen.  It's why you have two veteran QB's on the roster.

The minute Allen gets to camp and is rifling 4 yard darts so hard our WRs can’t get to them or catch them, Macc is getting fired.  Not solely on taking Allen.  But coupled with the Hack pick plus it’s obvious that Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield are all more NFL ready than Allen.  Macc and the Jets don’t have three years for Allen to “figure it out.”

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

McCown only counts 5 mil onto the cap as I believe he has a $5 mil base salary and $5 mil signing bonus.

From what I have read, his $10MM is fully guaranteed.  Base salary and bonus.  So it all would count against the cap.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I said it another thread but I'd be fine with keeping Skrine but if I'm not mistaken, they can save 4mill by cutting him?  Could make even more room if they were serious about HB. 

I agree.  With all of our cap space, I would rather keep Skrine unless we can get a pick for him in a trade..  He is a decent slot corner (sucks on the outside), someone might be willing to part with an asset for him.  Even if we can't move him, if we let him play out his contract, he could net us a comp pick when he signs elsewhere. 

We need to start keeping guys to the end of their contracts so we can get picks for them: Skrine, Powell, Kearse, Carpenter and now Claiborne are all guys with a year on their contracts who might net us some comp licks in the future.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You have to also factor in about 9 million for the rookies we will be signing in the draft, maybe a little more for undrafted rookies. So that leaves us with 25 million. Still enough to bring in a couple of more pieces. 

Agreed.  Plus we have to leave a few million for in season signings.  But with $40mil plus at this point, we are still in pretty good shape.

57 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

at that point it may make the most sense ironically for him to explore trade down scenarios.  he'd get tarred and feathered if he took jackson at 6.  he may as well trade back and get more picks, someone would trade up for chubb or barkley at that point.

That is why Mac signed Bridgewater.  If this is the scenario, which is very highly likely (maybe not exact order, but the players-it will be Barkley, not Chubb), the Jets should take Chubb if he thinks he can get the  Jets 10 sacks next year-otherwise Nelson.  

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Just checked and there are still some solid OG’s left on the market. Notably Justin Pugh and Jack Mewhort.

Both are probably better fits for a zone blocking scheme than Carpenter.

Yup, Mewhort is an injury risk, but still a good player when healthy.  Pugh has flexibility to play G and T, if needed.  And unless I missed it this AM, I believe Jensen is still out there.  We could still add him and kick Long over to guard.

I would love to see one more OL signing.

52 minutes ago, usanyj said:

should be a gauntlet dropped by Johnson.   come away with one of these four, or youre looking for a new job.

This is the problem with the Jets.   Who knows what what Johnson said to MacBowles last year.  

The Jets were supposed to be going into 2017 with Hack and Petty and perhaps someone else.  That is not unreasonable for a rebuilding team-they were draft picks, one a high one.  That is what the Browns had in their rebuild.  But after OTAs...they signed McCown.  

Did the Johnsons tell them that they needed to do something to avoid a complete dumpster fire season, understanding that dumpster fire gets you a top draft pick?  Or did MacBowles on their own sign McCown, and Ealy, to avoid the complete dumpster fire.  The Jets were a competitive team in the first half of the season last year.  

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

That is why Mac signed Bridgewater.  If this is the scenario, which is very highly likely (maybe not exact order, but the players-it will be Barkley, not Chubb), the Jets should take Chubb if he thinks he can get the  Jets 10 sacks next year-otherwise Nelson.  

if the top 4 QBs are gone and if Chubb or Barkley are available at #6, then you you take the stud and don't trade down.  Then use some of your draft capital to make sure you get Jackson, Laulletta, White or whatever QB you like in the next tier. But to purposely pass on Chubb/Barkley and not come away with a premier player when one is there at 6 would be a disaster.  

Use 6 on one of the top 4 QBs if there and if none are there then it MUST be the case that either Chubb or Barklley is there.  OMG, you don't trade out of that.  It would be the only saving grace to having missed out on the top 4.  

3 hours ago, Lith said:

By my estimates, looks like we have spent about $54mil so far.  We had about $90 mil cap space, so worst case, we should have about $36mil left.

image.png

We probably are more like $40M - $45M in space.  Contract details have not yet been reported for all players, so I am assuming average value as the 2018 hit for Johnson, Long and Williamson.  Its been reported that Crowell's hit will be $2mil this year.  Some, if not all of these probably have some big unguaranteed numbers on the back end, so the hit is likely lower this year. 

Still plenty of space to go get a Honey Badger.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Plus we have to leave a few million for in season signings.  But with $40mil plus at this point, we are still in pretty good shape.

Just released the Claiborne's cap hit is only 10 million this year which frees up another 4.5 from  your figures. So we are back up the 45 mill range. And the reason the cap hit is lower this year HAS to be because Macc has more plans in Free Agency/Trades. 

In recent days we've the likes of Suh/Crabtree/Mathieu cut. I am guessing these are not the last of the cuts. 

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I'm convinced he would be a poor investment long term.  He's 5'9 on bad knees without a clear position.  

It'd be fun to see those five out there in a nickel-three-safety look but, I mean, I thought the goal here was to get Bowles & Macc fired - not build some beast secondary that, paired with no pass rush and a below-average offense, could win us six games.  

28 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Nelson.

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm convinced he would be a poor investment long term.  He's 5'9 on bad knees without a clear position.  

It'd be fun to see those five out there in a nickel-three-safety look but, I mean, I thought the goal here was to get Bowles & Macc fired; not build some beast secondary that, paired with no pass rush and below-average offense, could win us six games.  

I don’t feel it’s a poor investment when you basically need a nickle back anyway and all you have to do now is cut Skrine and you have basically paid for half of it right there. Bowles can use him as a third interchangeable piece and he can fly around the field as he does best. Skrine is 5’9 too. Badger is fine. We will play nickel back in our base D anyway.

Pass rusher? There was no real pass rusher to choose from onece the top two were tagged. Get one in the draft and take CB off of the draft needs list. 

3 minutes ago, UKPanda said:

Hey, first post so don’t shoot me but, what if the scenario arises where we don’t go QB but take Barkley and use Bridgewater as the starter and future franchise guy?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

there will be some angry fans on this site if that happens.  Unless Teddy lights it up.  Then all is good.  Has Teddy ever lit it up, even when healthy?

3 minutes ago, UKPanda said:

Hey, first post so don’t shoot me but, what if the scenario arises where we don’t go QB but take Barkley and use Bridgewater as the starter and future franchise guy?

Then we are taking a huge risk that the knee will hold up and he will return to form after not playing for 2 seasons.  We still need to add a rookie to the mix, in my opinion.  Between Bridge and the rook, hoipefully we have a long term answer.

42 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Who says they're going to get a better QB? They'll have a higher pick.  If I thought the Giants would be willing to trade with us I would say we need to make a move - but they won't.

It's better for us because a trade to 3 will be MUCH cheaper if Buffalo is already out of play.

I would rather the Bills move up to 2 get a QB in front of us - cost them a fortune...and us move up to 3 (giving up one of the 2's) than fighting Buffalo for the 3rd pick and giving up the entire draft and picks next year to do so.

It's better to have 4 options than 3.  It's better to have 3 than 2.  It's better to have 2 than 1.  If Buffalo trades up, Jets in all likelihood get QB 4, with that being the only option.  Maybe QB 4 will be the best player.  But, that's not usually how it goes, and I simply don't see how Buffalo getting more/potentially better options than us, helps us.

Also, for us to get to 3, we're giving up next years 1, not merely one 2nd round pick, likely to get the 3rd QB off the board.  That's not something you feel great about, unless your 1st choice slipped.

4 minutes ago, UKPanda said:

Why would we shoot you?  We are very friendly :) 

Welcome to the boards.  Barkley would have to make the pro bowl as a rookie for us to get over the fact that we didn't select a QB but even that may not be enough.  

I think most would be fine when they see the other QBs suck bad this year and we make the playoffs. Hell we could draft a damn kicker in the first if our team lights it up to the playoffs or even just beats the pats twice.

I don't think there is anyway we don't take a qb with 6, but I would be fine with Barkley. Not sure I'm good with anyone else though

8 minutes ago, UKPanda said:

Barkley, in a realistic situation, won’t make it to 6. But hypothetically speaking it would be cool for the moment I guess...I don’t think Teddy has the same mobile ability anymore..and I think Teddy’s knee is screwed but if he out preforms expectations than sure..I could see him doing good...dunno about franchise guy though.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t feel it’s a ooorcinvestment when you basically need a nickle back anyway and all you have to do now is cut Skrine and you have basically pairs for half of it right there. Bowles can use him as a third interchangeable piece and he can fly around the field as he does best. 

Pass rusher? There was no real pass rusher to choose from onece the top two were tagged. Get one in the draft and take CB off of the draft needs list. 

We'll be paying our nickel back Honey Badger money though.  And he's not really a nickel, is he?  He's not really a safety either.  He's a good football player without a clear position that can make some splash plays.

I think the Honey Badger should go to a win-now team because I think the expiration date on his career quickly approaching.  I'd bet he's got about two years of quality football left in him.

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I think most would be fine when they see the other QBs suck bad this year and we make the playoffs. Hell we could draft a damn kicker in the first if our team lights it up to the playoffs or even just beats the pats twice.

I don't think there is anyway we don't take a qb with 6, but I would be fine with Barkley. Not sure I'm good with anyone else though

I still firmly believe we trade up.

Archived