FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Yes they were mad Eli was benched but I think Giants fans would have understood if it was Webb. Breaking the streak for Geno Smith is what made people lose their minds.

I can understand that. I just feel like the fact he was benched is enough for them to go crazy after seeing their O-line get crushed and their WR’s go down.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

So assuming Darnold and rosen go 1-2, you stay put at 6 and get whoevers ever left right?

No way, give up whatever you need to secure that #3 pick and take Mayfield. If Barkley goes in the top 2 then pick between Rosen and Mayfield.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

They aren’t picking Rosen. They aren’t picking a QB in the first round. Gettleman legitimately said he won’t ever go QB that high without the player being a HOF type of QB. He has holes to fix on a win now squad and hasn’t done a good enough job in FA doing so. So either he just sat on his hands or he knew he wanted to be aggressive in doing so during the draft.

If he was serious about building up the team around Eli, why did he sit on his hands in free agency? 

19 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Desperate optism that NYJ trades up with NYG could be tinting my vantage point. If Rosen was an Andrew Luck prospect I do not think NYG would care about his personality/opinions.

I don’t see anything wrong with Rosen off the field. But there is a question about his desire/passion/coachability. Things like that are big to an old school guy like Gettleman. Whereas, Darnold is all about the game.

That mindset + NYG denial that Eli is done and their roster is overrated makes me think they wouldn’t roll the dice on Rosen.

Rosen at the very least is a weird kid with limited at best leadership skills. No doubt the kid can spin it but he is not the face of the franchise kind of guy the Giants look for. I would be fine if the Jets end up with him but I have him third behind both Darnold and Mayfield.

Just now, T0mShane said:

If he was serious about building up the team around Eli, why did he sit on his hands in free agency? 

Because 1.) they don’t have a crazy amount of money and 2.) they just made Solder the highest paid LT in the league just so they didn’t have to deal with Flowers giving up blind side hits all Sunday.

4 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Rosen at the very least is a weird kid with limited at best leadership skills. No doubt the kid can spin it but he is not the face of the franchise kind of guy the Giants look for. I would be fine if the Jets end up with him but I have him third behind both Darnold and Mayfield.

You know who else is a weird dude with no leadership skills? Eli Manning.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

You know who else is a weird dude with no leadership skills? Eli Manning.

Literally had this same response typed out. Eli looked like a little kid who didn't want to keep playing and papa Coughlin kept saying "god damnit Eli get back out there"

4 minutes ago, Pennington said:

I move up to 3 for Mayfield who I prefer over Rosen anyway.

This is a bit crazy... if Rosen or Darnold are available there is no way I take Mayfield. I would take Mayfield if they were both gone, but I don't think I'd trade up to 3 for him.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

No, Badger played nickel his entire LSU career. He is a NB. And he is only 25 year old.

His knees.  His size.  And he's not a traditional nickel corner.  Whatever scheme-it-up situation you want to argue he played @ LSU or on the Cardinals, he's not Aaron Colvin and I don't think you want Mathieu's primary responsibility to be covering the slot WR.  

If we were a team that was close or adamant about going all-in this year, I'd be really excited about this.  But we're not.  

From a strictly entertainment perspective, I'd love to watch this guy every Sunday, but he's not a foundational piece, he's a surplus player; the honey badger is not a starting point for your defense.  He's the cherry on top of an otherwise good defense like the Giants or a defensive wildcard for an all-in-win-now team like the Packers.    

When your quarterback is McCown or Bridgewater, you don't keep a player like this on your roster for ten million dollars a season.  That's what the Cardinals realized.  

Just now, Stark said:

This is a bit crazy... if Rosen or Darnold are available there is no way I take Mayfield. I would take Mayfield if they were both gone, but I don't think I'd trade up to 3 for him.

I have no problem with Rosen over Mayfield but my order is Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen. If we end up with any of the three I will be happy and if we whiff I am not watching next season. Get any one of the top QBs and I will be happy because I refuse to watch McCown and check off Teddy next season.

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

His knees.  His size.  And he's not a traditional nickel corner.  Whatever scheme-it-up situation you want to argue he played @ LSU or on the Cardinals, he's not Aaron Colvin and I don't think you want Mathieu's primary responsibility to be covering the slot WR.  

If we were a team that was close or adamant about going all-in this year, I'd be really excited about this.  But we're not.  

From a strictly entertainment perspective, I'd love to watch this guy every Sunday, but he's not a foundational piece, he's a surplus player; the honey badger is not a starting point for your defense.  He's the cherry on top of an otherwise good defense like the Giants or a defensive wildcard for an all-in-win-now team like the Packers.    

When your quarterback is McCown or Bridgewater, you don't keep a player like this on your roster for ten million dollars a season.  That's what the Cardinals realized.  

Skrine is 5’9 and did just fine as far as sizing up slot WR’s..he’s just a flag machine. I really don’t see your point. We have 45 million and a way to upgrade our Defense. Nothing else matters.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Another thing on Rosen, if he’s too edgy and liberal for the Giants, why doesn’t that hurt him with Donald Trump’s hand-picked Ambassador to the UK? 

I think Woody will trust Macc on a selection. If it came out that Woody forced us to take an inferior QB because of political views he will be crucified in the media. If he stays out of it then all he needs to say is "I let my football guys make the football moves"

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Skrine is 5’9 and did just fine as far as sizing up slot WR’s..he’s just a flag machine. I really don’t see your point. We have 45 million and a way to upgrade our Defense. Nothing else matters.

Because not every player signs a one-year deal.  We will owe this guy money for a while; money that could be otherwise spent (down the road) on more important positions like say pass-rushers, offensive-lineman, and offensive-playmakers of any stripe.  

We just drafted two safeties back-to-back in the first two rounds last year.  We just signed Trumaine Johnson and re-signed Morris Claiborne.  We've spent enough resources on whatever position you want to label the Honey Badger.

Buster Skrine sucks.  Doesn't mean we have to replace him with a ten million dollar a year nickelback (as you label him).

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You don't need a play maker when you have Bridgewater...I think. Something like that...unless you have a great defense like the Giants...I think. 

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

Because not every player signs a one-year deal.  We will owe this guy money for a while; money that could be otherwise spent (down the road) on more important positions like say pass-rushers, offensive-lineman, and offensive-playmakers of any stripe.  

We just drafted two safeties back-to-back in the first two rounds last year.  We just signed Trumaine Johnson and re-signed Morris Claiborne.  We've spent enough resources on whatever position you want to label the Honey Badger.

Buster Skrine sucks.  Doesn't mean we have to replace him with a ten million dollar a year nickelback (as you label him).

And Cutting buster pays for half of the contract itself lmaooo...keep looking for reasons though. 

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

You play a base nickle when you have a Honey Badger. 

It worked pretty well when bowls ran it in AZ. 

Just now, NYs Stepchild said:

You play a base nickle when you have a Honey Badger. 

It worked pretty well when bowls ran it in AZ. 

Teams play 4-5 DB’s 60% of the time now. It’s the passing era. You only have to pay the man half of that 11 million with cutting Skrine...not seeing the big issue here.

I like the part where you assume the Giants would ever trade with us and give us the chance at a franchise QB so they can watch his success in the local papers for the next decade. 
It's not happening. 

I don’t get this thought process re: the Giants...

So, Gettleman will take a lesser deal from Buffalo just to stick it in our eye? I’m. Not so sure about that. He could trade down to 6 and still get a stud along with probably our 2 2nds this year and another DP next yr...better than 12 and 22 IMO

Archived