FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Robby Anderson isn't going anywhere and we need to hope Enunwa is healthy because we aren't getting a #1 WR in Free Agency. Hopefully we divert those funds towards rebuilding our Oline and Cousins. 

A combination of Marquise Lee, Decker and Jimmy Graham gives us a capable receiving corps for Cousins

Robby is getting at least a 6 game suspension and Enunwa might never play again

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

A combination of Marquise Lee, Decker and Jimmy Graham gives us a capable receiving corps for Cousins

Why not go after Brandon Marshall and Tony Gonzalez while you're at it. We need to get younger and faster, not older and slower. Lee would be an OK signing, but i have zero interest in Decker and limited interest in Graham at his age. 

Aaron Colvin is going to have a legit market. Much more active than one would think. https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/966417296678883329 

Beat writer Hays Carlyon doesn't expect the Jaguars to be able to re-sign impending free agent CB Aaron Colvin.

Outside CBs Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye get all the love in Jacksonville, but Colvin is one of the best slot corners in the game and is/was a big part of the Jaguars' defense. Per Pro Football Focus, Colvin didn't allow a single touchdown in his coverage, and his 0.76 yards per snap in coverage was third-best among all slot corners. Colvin, 26, is one of the top corners set to hit the market.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Broncos are expected to make Trevor Siemian available for trade this offseason.

Denver would be lucky to get anything more than a conditional sixth- or seventh-rounder, especially in what looks to be a loaded -- for its standards -- quarterback market via draft and free agency this year. Siemian has starting experience, sure, but he completely bombed out last season and is also recovering from left shoulder (non-throwing) surgery. Denver is going to overhaul its QB room.

ESPN's Jordan Raanan believes Giants CB Eli Apple will be traded this offseason.

Apple is unquestionably talented, but he was a massive locker-room headache in 2017, clashing with coaches, teammates, and the organization. It is possible the new coaching staff decides to give the 2016 first-round pick a clean slate, but Raanan expects them to move on. Trading Apple will cost the Giants around $500,000 in cap space.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

ESPN's Jordan Raanan believes Giants CB Eli Apple will be traded this offseason.

Apple is unquestionably talented, but he was a massive locker-room headache in 2017, clashing with coaches, teammates, and the organization. It is possible the new coaching staff decides to give the 2016 first-round pick a clean slate, but Raanan expects them to move on. Trading Apple will cost the Giants around $500,000 in cap space.

See the Giants can’t draft either, 1st round pick wasted.

On 2/18/2018 at 2:31 PM, sourceworx said:

Sign Cousins, take Barkley it Chubb, whichever of the two falls to them, and take Lauletta or Falk later on in the draft.

This is the most effective use of resources at hand -- the opposite of "going all in" to move up to draft a QB.  Immediate impact vs overpaying for a crap shoot.

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Robby can cut down Goodell’s suspension by getting a vasectomy.  Robbie:  “I’ll never do it again Rog. I promise. I just snipped the lil pecker for the greater cause of the NFL”.

Report: Jets haven’t discussed a new contract with Wesley Johnson

SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano reports the Jets and free agent center Wesley Johnson have not discussed a new contract at this point in time.

It’s not clear exactly what the Jets’ plans are at center since according to multiple sources the two sides haven’t had any substantive discussions on a new contract.

Johnson had a brutal 2017 season, his first year as an NFL starter. For this reason, I am sure many people will say, “Obviously the Jets aren’t going to negotiate with him. He was bad.” Well, you never know. Teams make questionable decisions all the time. It is good to hear that the Jets don’t seem to have much interest in bringing him back.

Vacchiano’s report actually comes in the middle of an article where he makes the unlikely case that re-signing Johnson should be a priority and even that it could be a selling point to attract Kirk Cousins. He even suggests that the Jets should use the franchise tag on Johnson if they cannot re-sign him. It is worth noting that the franchise tag doesn’t differentiate between tackle, guard, and center. Offensive line is considered one position so Johnson would be paid like a franchise left tackle if the Jets used the tag.

Let’s just say you would not have a happy John B if any of this was to occur. However, signs so far indicate the Jets are willing to move in a different direction.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2018/2/22/17039704/report-jets-havent-discussed-a-new-contract-with-wesley-johnson

Jaguars Reportedly Exploring Free Agent QBs, Severing Blake Bortles Contract

ALEC NATHANFEBRUARY 23, 2018

FOXBOROUGH, MA - JANUARY 21:  Blake Bortles #5 of the Jacksonville Jaguars reacts in the fourth quarter during the AFC Championship Game against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium on January 21, 2018 in Foxborough, Massachusetts.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

The Jacksonville Jaguars are reportedly exploring avenues to upgrade at quarterback in advance of free agency.

According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, Jacksonville's front office has been "actively" searching for Blake Bortles' replacement and that process "likely will continue—if not accelerate—next week at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis."

The Jaguars previously exercised Bortles' $19 million team option for the 2018 season, but some nifty maneuvering could allow them to avoid that payment if they can identify a signal-caller in short order. 

As Florio previously wrote, Jacksonville can get out of the final year of Bortles' contract if he's cut before the new league year begins on March 14. If he's still on the roster past that date, the $19 million will become fully guaranteed. However, releasing the quarterback is only possible if Bortles—who had wrist surgery after the season—can pass a physical before March 14.

However, that move is only likely to be made if the Jaguars can reach an agreement in principle with a free-agent quarterback during the league's two-day negotiating window that opens March 12. 

It's unclear which quarterbacks have caught the Jaguars' attention, but Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford will all be searching for starting gigs this spring. 

•  
  •  
  •  

Jax is currently 28M under cap as per Sportrac. Cutting Bortles saves them 19M. At 47M under cap they could be in the KC sweepstakes, but would leave them very little room to do anything else. Including resigning/replacing their own free agents this year including Posluszny, M Lee, and Robinson.

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Jaguars Reportedly Exploring Free Agent QBs, Severing Blake Bortles Contract

ALEC NATHANFEBRUARY 23, 2018

FOXBOROUGH, MA - JANUARY 21:  Blake Bortles #5 of the Jacksonville Jaguars reacts in the fourth quarter during the AFC Championship Game against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium on January 21, 2018 in Foxborough, Massachusetts.  (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)
Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

The Jacksonville Jaguars are reportedly exploring avenues to upgrade at quarterback in advance of free agency.

According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, Jacksonville's front office has been "actively" searching for Blake Bortles' replacement and that process "likely will continue—if not accelerate—next week at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis."

The Jaguars previously exercised Bortles' $19 million team option for the 2018 season, but some nifty maneuvering could allow them to avoid that payment if they can identify a signal-caller in short order. 

As Florio previously wrote, Jacksonville can get out of the final year of Bortles' contract if he's cut before the new league year begins on March 14. If he's still on the roster past that date, the $19 million will become fully guaranteed. However, releasing the quarterback is only possible if Bortles—who had wrist surgery after the season—can pass a physical before March 14.

However, that move is only likely to be made if the Jaguars can reach an agreement in principle with a free-agent quarterback during the league's two-day negotiating window that opens March 12. 

It's unclear which quarterbacks have caught the Jaguars' attention, but Kirk Cousins, Case Keenum, Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford will all be searching for starting gigs this spring. 

•  
  •  
  •  

I thought for sure they'd go after someone like Tyrod but now that it seems he will be a Bill for at least next year I'm not sure who the likely target is.

I think Eli to Jacksonville makes a lot of sense and then the Giants take Rosen/Darnold and the Jags wait until the end of round 1 to take Lamar Jackson/insert other rookie. It gives them the QB that allows for 2 years of SB runs and then 3 years of cheap rookie contract after having 2 years to learn from Eli.

Jimmy Graham's stats went down last year but he was coming off of a patella injury. He still was a great end zone presence and had 10 Tds. So if healthy and reasonable in terms of salary and not too much of an increase in pay check over ASJ I'd go for it with him. I think he makes the plays that Jenkins didn't make last season. 

48 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Jimmy Graham's stats went down last year but he was coming off of a patella injury. He still was a great end zone presence and had 10 Tds. So if healthy and reasonable in terms of salary and not too much of an increase in pay check over ASJ I'd go for it with him. I think he makes the plays that Jenkins didn't make last season. 

Graham had 10 td catches last season and would have had more but DBs got away with holding him in the red zone several times.  He’s lethal in the red zone 

7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Vikings and Cousins heating up.

Smart on their part. Keenum, IMO, can't be counted on to play nearly as well as this past season. Flash in the pan and some team (please not us) is going to pay him more than he is worth to lose a lot of games.Maybe the Giants bring him in, just in case Eli gets injured... plus he'd be familiar with the system.

2 minutes ago, Stark said:

Smart on their part. Keenum, IMO, can't be counted on to play nearly as well as this past season. Flash in the pan and some team (please not us) is going to pay him more than he is worth to lose a lot of games.Maybe the Giants bring him in, just in case Eli gets injured... plus he'd be familiar with the system.

Nah, I'm sure some team will bring him in to start for them. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lol we really aren’t in this race like we think we are. It’s Minnesota or Denver as long as the money looks OK. Doesn’t have to look great. I mean he’s not needing money. He got franchise tagged twice. Money doesn’t matter as much as some of you think it does.

I'm sure he'll hear Mac out and then realize in the middle of the meeting "wtf am I doing?".

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lol we really aren’t in this race like we think we are. It’s Minnesota or Denver as long as the money looks OK. Doesn’t have to look great. I mean he’s not needing money. He got franchise tagged twice. Money doesn’t matter as much as some of you think it does.

Money matters. In this case with Cousins it will matter but won't be the deciding factor. I'd leave a few mil on the table to play with JETS before I would go to Cleveland. And id do the same to go to Minnesota. I personally don't think the Broncos are that great especially when you consider 2-3 years down the road.

Archived