FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

13 minutes ago, Stark said:

Smart on their part. Keenum, IMO, can't be counted on to play nearly as well as this past season. Flash in the pan and some team (please not us) is going to pay him more than he is worth to lose a lot of games.Maybe the Giants bring him in, just in case Eli gets injured... plus he'd be familiar with the system.

The Giants?  They are going to keep Eli, draft a QB high (more than $5M contract) and then pay another QB?  

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Giants?  They are going to keep Eli, draft a QB high (more than $5M contract) and then pay another QB?  

Are they drafting a QB for sure? no one knows... It was just a hypothetical. I am not reporting it as fact.

19 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I would be shocked if its not Minny or Jets.

These next 2 months will make or break our team’s next 4-5 years.

Broncos will not do (win) anything anytime soon. Imo.

Eh.  It shouldn't make or break our team's next 4-5 years.  I keep saying it, but give a competent guy the worst franchise and he will completely turn it around in 3 years.  Especially since Mac is so adept at drafting these contracts we can get out of in 2 years with only millions of dead money!

The Boston Herald reports "it's believed" the Patriots are interested in free agent ILB Preston Brown.

Brown has hinted the interest is mutual, saying the Patriots "definitely seem to get the best out of the Buffalo Bills." He offered extensive glowing praise, which can be found at the link below. Brown has said, money being equal, that his preference is to remain in Buffalo. Brown would fill a need for a Pats defense that see-sawed wildly in 2017.

Detroit Lions place franchise tag on Ezekiel Ansah

• By Austin Knoblauch NFL.com
  • Published: Feb. 27, 2018 at 03:38 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 27, 2018 at 04:39 p.m.

The Detroit Lions are making sure Ezekiel Ansah stays with the team for 2018.

The Lions franchise tagged Ansah on Tuesday in a move that will pay him $17.5 million for 2018 once he signs his tender, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

Ansah proved to be one of the NFL's best edge rushers in 2017, finishing with 12.0 sacks, 44 total tackles (39 solo), one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. No player had more sacks than Ansah in the second half of 2017 (he tied Chandler Jones with eight), and he finished the year with back-to-back three-sack games.

Ansah's late-season heroics helped propel him to a No. 5 ranking by Chris Wesseling and Gregg Rosenthal on NFL.com's Top 101 Free Agents of 2018.

Although Ansah's on-field numbers are impressive, the 28-year-old's struggles with injuries over the last two seasons didn't make him a slam dunk to return to Detroit for 2018 season. Still, it would have been strange if the Lions let the 6-foot-5, 276-pound pass rushing terror test free agency after being one of only two players to record double-digit sacks in two of the last three seasons. With hardly any other options available, it's a sensible move by general manager Bob Quinn.

The franchise tag lets the Lions keep one of the NFL's best defensive ends without committing to him long term -- and they have plenty of salary-cap space (roughly $44 million) to pay the expensive tender. Ansah gives new head coach Matt Patricia a fine building block to construct the Lions' defense as he sees fit.

The Lions, who last used the franchise tag in 2012 on Cliff Avril, have until July 16 to sign Ansah to a long-term contract. He joins Miami Dolphins wide receiver Jarvis Landry as the only two players to be tagged so far this offseason. The franchise tag designation window closes March 6.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

But probably will still franchise tag right?

idk. Doesn’t exactly sound like a guy they wanna franchise. But who knows. Either way I doubt he’d wanna come here if he did end up being a free agent. 

For the Jags's sake, (recently moved to FL and I started rooting for them as a local team) I hope they pass on Robinson. They just cant afford him at the franchise tag number.

robinson at a 16M figure ... when the Jags have ~30M in cap space ... and they have Colvin as a FA. They need like 8-10 M for rookies, meaning they have ~20M in cap space. 

Corey grant and ben koyack, are also RFA.

and Marqise Lee, as we know

11 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I'd be fine with it if we still took a RB in the 2nd round....but if they're looking at these kinda guys to lead them into the season, then they can go f themselves. 

Archived