FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stark said:

so aging wr corps isn't fair, yet Fitz is way older than Sanders and Thomas. When he was in SD yeah he had decent offenses and you are using the scheme being utilized for a TE. There is no TE close to what Gates was on the Cards. I dunno seems like you are holding onto past Cards teams abilities and totally discounting the fact that maybe McCoy and rivers were just a good fit. rivers > Cousins.

The aging WR corps would be true .. IF Fitzgerald wasn’t still stringing together 100 catch seasons. DT isn’t aging as well as Fitz has.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

mccags' theory is that you can find offensive linemen and rbs later in drafts.  so unless you're taking a wr or qb there's no reason to overdraft or overpay an offensive player.  let's remember this when they fail to sign cousins, draft chubb and then a cb in the 2nd round.

Understood.  And in general, if we weren't sitting on top of the list of most unused cap room I would likely agree.  But we need to deploy the salary cap in ways that maximize our on-field talent for the next few years.  Having one of the best 3 OGs in the game is good for our soon-to-be new QB, our soon-to-be new RB and the entire offense in general.  Having extra unused cap is not useful to anyone but the owner.  

Now if the draft were conducted auction style, I would be much happier :)

Someone please tell me that Macc knows that isn't how it works...

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

What would you like them to do Lupz. Who do you want to add? Are you sad because Watkins went somewhere else? Is that it?

I don't see any 2017 stats for Meredith, his 2016 was impressive how have I not heard of him?

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

All our eggs are in the cousins basket. If we lose out on him I'm not sure what the plan is. 

I'm hoping we don't sign him.  Though I wouldn't be pissed.  Would just prefer not to.

I'd think if they were really trying to lure Cousins they would've gotten one of the better WRs.

Just now, nycdan said:

Understood.  And in general, if we weren't sitting on top of the list of most unused cap room I would likely agree.  But we need to deploy the salary cap in ways that maximize our on-field talent for the next few years.  Having one of the best 3 OGs in the game is good for our soon-to-be new QB, our soon-to-be new RB and the entire offense in general.  Having extra unused cap is not useful to anyone but the owner.  

Now if the draft were conducted auction style, I would be much happier :)

Someone please tell me that Macc knows that isn't how it works...

i agree.  i wish he would be proactive that way, realizing that if he has to trade up to get a qb he should have a support system in place with veteran offensive linemen, another vet wr and a TE who can catch.  

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

All our eggs are in the cousins basket. If we lose out on him I'm not sure what the plan is. 

Yea I'm not sure what the game plan would be if we miss Cousins. You'd gotta think C, CB (2x), LB, possibly TE? I think we'd just sign McCown and roll into the draft. That just feels like a lot of money left over.

7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

What would you like them to do Lupz. Who do you want to add? Are you sad because Watkins went somewhere else? Is that it?

Nah nah nah nah nahhhhhhhhhh. You can’t be like, “well, the Jets have accumulated all this cap space which is good because free agents” and ALSO be like “Well, what did you want them to do/they got unlucky” 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

I'm hoping we don't sign him.  Though I wouldn't be pissed.  Would just prefer not to.

I'd think if they were really trying to lure Cousins they would've gotten one of the better WRs.

My feelings on Cousins are mixed as well.  That said, I tend to agree that by not making a big move at WR, we're not doing anything to make this a more attractive destination for him.  Everyone's offering big money, so does Jermaine Kearse, maybe Enunwa, and Bukkake Anderson make sense for him?

Just now, bla bla bla said:

Yea I'm not sure what the game plan would be if we miss Cousins. You'd gotta think C, CB (2x), LB, possibly TE? I think we'd just sign McCown and roll into the draft. That just feels like a lot of money left over.

Probably C, LB and McCown or Bridgewater/McCarron. 

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

The aging WR corps would be true .. IF Fitzgerald wasn’t still stringing together 100 catch seasons. DT isn’t aging as well as Fitz has.

agree but my point is fitz is entering what season 15... was basically the only offensive weapon last year. and to your point the broncos had a sh*tty qb play all year. DT is not the DT of 5 years ago but he just turned 30 and I would be with average QB play he will be back to 1000yd seasons and is solid in redone.

Either way the point is true aging WRs on both teams. 

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

My feelings on Cousins are mixed as well.  That said, I tend to agree that by not making a big move at WR, we're not doing anything to make this a more attractive destination for him.  Everyone's offering big money, so does Jermaine Kearse, maybe Enunwa, and Bukkake Anderson make sense for him?

Cousins isn't coming to Jets. Whiffing/not trying on Watkins and Robinson (whichever the case may be) is what's called "a tell" in poker.

It's over.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Nah nah nah nah nahhhhhhhhhh. You can’t be like, “well, the Jets have accumulated all this cap space which is good because free agents” and ALSO be like “Well, what did you want them to do/they got unlucky” 

You kind of can. We all expected them to get players. Now we clearly are seeing the side effects of being a terrible team. You can think one thing and then realize another.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if buffalo or someone else trades with indy, we get chubb and it's leonard williams de ja vu.  

If Chubb is actually used as 3-4 OLB and can get to the QB so be it but I'm sick of "can't miss" guys "falling" to us. I know Adams and Williams are two of the better players on our team and they're high character guys but God they've done next to nothing. Adams had a pretty good rookie season but all anyone can talk about are Williams' PFF pressures, I just watched a guy who sacked the QB 2 times last year.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

We can only carry over a certain amount into next year. It would be really inexplicable if we don't spend at least 60 million in free agency. 

Maybe the thought is that certain players may get cut down the road. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We can only carry over a certain amount into next year. It would be really inexplicable if we don't spend at least 60 million in free agency. 

Maybe the thought is that certain players may get cut down the road. 

We can extend all our studs... oh wait. :(

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s like posters are convinced just because we have money that FA’s have zero choice but to flock to our organization. Quite the opposite, actually. We have no QB to throw them the ball and no one wants to play for a bunch of losers unless they just really want that huge payday.(I.E Browns) Norwell just left a decently successful Panthers team. It makes sense he left for the team that he left for.

This boils down to, “you can’t blame Maccagnan for putting together a sh*t team that nobody wants to play for.”

1 minute ago, Stark said:

agree but my point is fitz is entering what season 15... was basically the only offensive weapon last year. and to your point the broncos had a sh*tty qb play all year. DT is not the DT of 5 years ago but he just turned 30 and I would be with average QB play he will be back to 1000yd seasons and is solid in redone.

Either way the point is true aging WRs on both teams. 

Right but they still will probably resign John Brown and they do have David Johnson. But I do understand your point.

7 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

20170712-211233-AIRPORTLEAD-1-T5r_38007.

(Fueling up the banner plane.)

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

That fuel is gonna be real expensive because it needs to fly to London this time!

and no way that plane makes it to london. gonna be in the middle of the ocean, lol

Now I am sure @Mike135will inform me that plane has a much longer range that I imagine.  

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

When did I say they got unlucky??? I'm not one of the guys that said any FA would sign here because we have the most money no matter what. 

I wish we added one of Robinson or Watkins but i'm not gonna cry over losing out on WR's. I said i'd be pissed if we do miss out on the oline and a top Center. I care more about the line. 

1 minute ago, Sully80 said:

If Chubb is actually used as 3-4 OLB and can get to the QB so be it but I'm sick of "can't miss" guys "falling" to us. I know Adams and Williams are two of the better players on our team and they're high character guys but God they've done next to nothing. Adams had a pretty good rookie season but all anyone can talk about are Williams' PFF pressures, I just watched a guy who sacked the QB 2 times last year.

This year, I wouldn't be miserable if "can't miss" guys fell to us.  Only because I get the feeling this year, with trades and just who's up there, 4 QBs are going to go very early.

I'm lying of course, I'll be miserable because if that happens, it means that we're again not getting a QB.  But, unlike in past years, 4 QBs could easily go quickly, forcing some actual talent down.  Not just decent players who play unimportant positions.

15 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Can’t speak for Lupz, but I’d like them to draft well enough that we don’t have to go trawling for dogsh*t on the open market every two years.

Archived