FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

Darkwa would be a solid committee guy on the cheap, which I couldn't really blame the Jets for looking into, given a combination of Powell's injury issues and McGuire's entire season coming down to pretty much one big game.  He certainly shouldn't be a lead back, and he shouldn't be all they look for at the position, but still decent insurance.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder if they're looking at signing in guys like Darkwa in anticipation of losing picks (which would previously have been used on the very deep RB class) to trade up, in light of Cousins/Vikings talk. 

20 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Oh god not another offseason of Glennon crap lol

McCown resigned.  Glennon to back up.  Hack keeping the bench warm.  Welcome to your 2018 Jets.

This would make me consider switching team allegiances for the first time in my life.  I'm feeling MIN or JAX as possibilities.

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

DRAFT AN IMPACT RB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I'm certainly in favor of drafting a RB (although definitely not at #6), that doesn't make it a good idea to completely ignore the position in FA and paint yourself into a corner of having to plan the draft around that.  It's not as if Darkwa is going to have a big price tag and stop them from doing anything in the draft if they did bring him in.  Best case scenario is to avoid having massive holes on the roster entering the draft, no matter how badly you may still want to upgrade certain positions.  Of course it doesn't have to be him, but same general logic would apply for any mid-tier FA.

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

ASJ is looking for 7 million per year.

Screw him then.  You can do a hell of a lot better than him for that price.  I was fine bringing him back on a contract on the lower tier of starter contracts, and even then wanting there to be competition against him for the job, because he deserves to be handed absolutely nothing.  But for that much?  It's not even worth discussing, he's nowhere close to worth it.

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Screw him then.  You can do a hell of a lot better than him for that price.  I was fine bringing him back on a contract on the lower tier of starter contracts, and even then wanting there to be competition against him for the job, because he deserves to be handed absolutely nothing.  But for that much?  It's not even worth discussing, he's nowhere close to worth it.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

For what? 

Trey Burton please. F this guy. Don’t pay 7 million a year for potential that has never seen been close to realized. He’s not going to wind up being that good.

Upon a quick check, the TEs currently due $7M+ in 2018?  Gronk, Ertz, Reed, Ebron, Kelce.  Ebron is the only outlier there, and that number is because he's on his 5th year option.  Give me an f'n break if ASJ thinks he deserves anywhere close to the rest of those guys.

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Upon a quick check, the TEs currently due $7M+ in 2018?  Gronk, Ertz, Reed, Ebron, Kelce.  Ebron is the only outlier there, and that number is because he's on his 5th year option.  Give me an f'n break if ASJ thinks he deserves anywhere close to the rest of those guys.

That just makes this all the more insane.  bye Felcia. 

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

CHRIST. 

Yeah, this guy is on the F’n sauce again!!!

54 minutes ago, nycdan said:

McCown resigned.  Glennon to back up.  Hack keeping the bench warm.  Welcome to your 2018 Jets.

This would make me consider switching team allegiances for the first time in my life.  I'm feeling MIN or JAX as possibilities.

That would be spitting in the faces of every Jet fan.  We have been patient and tolerated trash at the QB spot for so long.  There is more opportunity to finally fix that gaping hole in our roster.  If they blow it and try to force feed that garbage to u this year, I won’t spend a dime on this team.

With Mo Wilkerson, Matt Forte gone, which Jets could be next?

Posted March 01, 2018 at 09:10 AM | Updated March 01, 2018 at 09:12 AM

4shares

Matt Forte retired, and the Jets released Muhammad Wilkerson, all on Wednesday. Which players could see their time in green end next?

Jacksonville Jaguars at New York Jets 
Andrew Mills
The next to go ...

You knew the moves were coming. And on Wednesday, they came. 

Matt Forte announced his retirement from the NFL. The Jets released defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson. The team added $14 million in salary cap space as a result. 

And you figure more moves are coming. Which players could see their time in New York come to a close next? Let's take a look. 

CB Xavier Coleman, WR JoJo Natson, CCB Bryson Keeton, OLB Obum Gwacham

CAP SAVINGS: $2.295m
DEAD MONEY: $0

The four are on the bottom of the Jets' roster, and can likely be replaced with better players later in free agency or the draft. They don't carry any cap penalty. 

Devin Smith, WR

CAP SAVINGS: $1.235m
DEAD MONEY: $632k

Devin Smith just hasn't stayed healthy since the Jets drafted him in the second round in 2015. He missed most of his rookie season with a rib injury, then tore his ACL after returning. He spent most of his second season recovering from that ACL tear. He re-tore his ACL this summer, and has been on the injured reserve ever since. 

Smith is likely a victim of the numbers game. The Jets just don't need him after drafting ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen last year, and with the emergence of Robby Anderson. 

CB Buster Skrine

CAP SAVINGS: $6m
DEAD MONEY: $2.5m

Skrine may not be released yet. He had a solid season last year, and if the Jets let him go, they have to find a replacement. He may be a wait-and-see. If the Jets can do better, they'll let him go. If not, they'll keep him. 

WR Jermaine Kearse

CAP SAVINGS: $5m
DEAD MONEY: $0

It's highly unlikely the Jets part with Kearse this offseason. He's simply on this list because of the cap savings. He'd free $5 million with his release. 

James Carpenter, guard

CAP SAVINGS: $4.7
DEAD MONEY: $2.1

Just how far will the Jets go to rebuild their struggling offensive line? Carpenter's contract isn't horrible, but he's coming off a terrible season. The Jets could cut him, then look to upgrade the spot. 

Bilal Powell, running back

CAP SAVINGS: $4m
DEAD MONEY: $883k

Powell, like others on this list, is likely coming back. But his contract is movable.

Report: Raiders may cut Michael Crabtree, Marshawn Lynch

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 1, 2018, 8:04 PM EST
gettyimages-859120380-e1519952664483.jpg
Getty Images

Despite comments from Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie and coach Jon Gruden that indicated receiver Michael Crabtree and running back Marshawn Lynch were in the plans for 2018, both could be gone before the regular season.

That’s the word from Michael Gehlken of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, who reports that both players are in flux and could be out of Oakland this year.

The issue is the players’ salaries: Crabtree has a cap hit of $7.7 million this season, while Lynch has a cap hit of nearly $6 million and could earn more in performance incentives. The Raiders would like to have both players back, but not necessarily at those prices.

Lynch has a roster bonus of $1 million due on March 18, so the Raiders may need to decide on his status soon. There’s more time to decide on Crabtree’s status. But decisions will need to be made on both players at some point in the months ahead, and those decisions won’t be as easy as McKenzie and Gruden suggested.

16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Report: Raiders may cut Michael Crabtree, Marshawn Lynch

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 1, 2018, 8:04 PM EST
gettyimages-859120380-e1519952664483.jpg
Getty Images

Despite comments from Raiders G.M. Reggie McKenzie and coach Jon Gruden that indicated receiver Michael Crabtree and running back Marshawn Lynch were in the plans for 2018, both could be gone before the regular season.

That’s the word from Michael Gehlken of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, who reports that both players are in flux and could be out of Oakland this year.

The issue is the players’ salaries: Crabtree has a cap hit of $7.7 million this season, while Lynch has a cap hit of nearly $6 million and could earn more in performance incentives. The Raiders would like to have both players back, but not necessarily at those prices.

Lynch has a roster bonus of $1 million due on March 18, so the Raiders may need to decide on his status soon. There’s more time to decide on Crabtree’s status. But decisions will need to be made on both players at some point in the months ahead, and those decisions won’t be as easy as McKenzie and Gruden suggested.

Crabtree and Landry are very similar.... strong hands and fight for the ball. He'd be someone I wouldn't mind seeing opposite Anderson, with Enunwa in the slot.

On 3/1/2018 at 2:02 PM, Bleedin Green said:

Well ASJ is certainly NOT in that class.

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Crabtree and Landry are very similar.... strong hands and fight for the ball. He'd be someone I wouldn't mind seeing opposite Anderson, with Enunwa in the slot.

Lynch could earn as much as $8 mil. He's 32 and has always had "an attitude"  question. Article in the LV Review Journal mentioned the the Raiders were "uncomfortable" with his salary. Can't say that I blame them.

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Crabtree needs a change of scenery, he's a player I wouldn't mind the jets trying to salvage his career. 

Report: Kirk Cousins list down to four teams

Darin Gantt,ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports 9 hours ago 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Since he’s been willing to be patient so far, Kirk Cousins is going to take his time through his free agency process.

But he has apparently pared the list of teams he’ll consider.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the final four teams expected to be in the running for his services are the Broncos, Cardinals, Jets, and Vikings.

Each have their own pluses and minuses. The Broncos and Vikings can offer immediate competitiveness thanks to good defenses. The Cardinals offer the opportunity to play with a future Hall of Famer in Larry Fitzgerald and warm weather. The Jets have the major market appeal, along with the most cap space of the group and, well, desperation.

Absent from that list despite their obvious need at the position is Cleveland, despite the best lobbying efforts of left tackle Joe Thomas.

Schefter also reports that the teams involved are considering short-term deals, perhaps as short as three years, with big guarantees. Considering Cousins has played the last two years on the tag for Washington, he has a flexibility not every free agent enjoys.

And the dynamics of the pursuit of Cousins will have impacts far beyond his own future, as quarterbacks such as Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Matt Ryan are working on new deals, and the fallback plans such as Case Keenum and others hinge to some degree on the choice Cousins make and the numbers involved.

"We'll see.....I had a lot of fun in New York this year, enjoyed being part of that organization, if it works out I can get back there, I would love that but if not hopefully find some place to work"

- @JoshMcCown12 on free agency on #NFL Talks - Combine Edition @nyjets

Archived