Jump to content

FREE AGENT NEWS


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

No way in hell the Giants don't pick up the phone to see what the Jets will offer because the 6th pick in the draft is far more valuable than the 12th pick.

they can talk but it sure seems like the bills have added extra ammo to trade up, whereas mccagnan tends to be stingy.  so i can see buffalo outbidding everyone else for the 2nd pick.  i can see mccagnan trading to 3 or 4 but at that point you have to wonder how he'll value the qbs and how much the scheme affects how they view them.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many of the same people who have bitched incessantly for a year about drafting 2 safeties and abhor the idea of drafting Minkah Fitzpatrick are now whining that we didn't sign Tyran Mathieu.  If there

Posted Images

Just now, Augustiniak said:

they can talk but it sure seems like the bills have added extra ammo to trade up, whereas mccagnan tends to be stingy.  so i can see buffalo outbidding everyone else for the 2nd pick.  i can see mccagnan trading to 3 or 4 but at that point you have to wonder how he'll value the qbs and how much the scheme affects how they view them.  

If that's the case, I hope to God the reports that the Bills love Josh Allen are accurate.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It'd be surprising for sure, but who knows.  Maybe they really do believe in Davis Webb.  All I'm saying is if that pick is for sale, it's a no-brainer.  Go up and get your man (Rosen 💙).

The other question would become, would the Giants want to help the Jets get a possible star at QB? The Giants are hyper-aware of how things play out in the NY media, and they love that the Jets are the clown shoes team in town. Why would they help us out?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If that's the case, I hope to God the reports that the Bills love Josh Allen are accurate.

him or rosen.  it could go darnold/rosen, then indy takes offers.  for all we know a team like arizona could jump to 3.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The other question would become, would the Giants want to help the Jets get a possible star at QB? The Giants are hyper-aware of how things play out in the NY media, and they love that the Jets are the clown shoes team in town. Why would they help us out?

Because it would help them AND if would make them seem magnanimous. You know, like the big brother helping his nerdy little bro out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The other question would become, would the Giants want to help the Jets get a possible star at QB? The Giants are hyper-aware of how things play out in the NY media, and they love that the Jets are the clown shoes team in town. Why would they help us out?

Only thing I can think of is that they think our additional picks could make them compete right now and that we'll probably F it up anyway. And if there's a future first, they probably think it'd be a high first. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The other question would become, would the Giants want to help the Jets get a possible star at QB? The Giants are hyper-aware of how things play out in the NY media, and they love that the Jets are the clown shoes team in town. Why would they help us out?

Don't most savvy guys at least try to just throw an intermediary team something to broker a deal and then move the pick along?

Link to post
Share on other sites

To those who have said, "the talks about FAs avoiding us because of our owner/coaches/our idiot FO are over-blown. Players follow the money. Stop your whining and hand wringing." Do they still want to defend this regime?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jgb said:

For years I've been hearing "the talks about FAs avoiding us because of our owner/Rex/bowles/our idiot FO are over-blow. Players follow the money. Stop your whining and hand wringing." Now that we officially have players rejecting the money to stay away from us, who can defend this regime?

Trumaine Johnson/Spencer Long/Williamson/Crowell say hello. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Trumaine Johnson/Spencer Long/Williamson/Crowell say hello. 

Dude. according to report 3 of 4 of the FAs with lots of options turned down MORE MONEY to go elsewhere. But if you want to celebrate a Crowell, God bless I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The other question would become, would the Giants want to help the Jets get a possible star at QB? The Giants are hyper-aware of how things play out in the NY media, and they love that the Jets are the clown shoes team in town. Why would they help us out?

If the Jets are offering the best package by far, the Giants should take it for the good of their franchise. The fact that Gettleman is new helps that cause. He wouldnt care, he just got here

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jgb said:

Dude. according to report 3 of 4 FAs turned down MORE MONEY to go elsewhere. But if you want to celebrate a Crowell, God bless I guess.

Where are you seeing this "report", because the only guy I saw turn down more money from us over the last few days is Kirk.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jgb said:

To those who have said, "the talks about FAs avoiding us because of our owner/coaches/our idiot FO are over-blown. Players follow the money. Stop your whining and hand wringing." Do they still want to defend this regime?

This is true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jgb said:

Dude. according to report 3 of 4 of the FAs with lots of options turned down MORE MONEY to go elsewhere. But if you want to celebrate a Crowell, God bless I guess.

Aside from Cousins, who opted to go one of the most talented teams in the NFL and chose them over the Broncos and Cardinals also, who else rejected our money? 

We landed the best CB in FA. We landed a very good RB.

The Giants wanted Norwell and whiffed. It happens. Relax. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Where are you seeing this "report", because the only guy I saw turn down more money from us over the last few days is Kirk.

I'm not gonna re-cap the busiest day in JN history. Just read some of the threads.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Aside from Cousins, who opted to go one of the most talented teams in the NFL and chose them over the Broncos and Cardinals also, who else rejected our money? 

We landed the best CB in FA. We landed a very good RB.

The Giants wanted Norwell and whiffed. It happens. Relax. 

No. Macc and Bowles are useless. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Don't most savvy guys at least try to just throw an intermediary team something to broker a deal and then move the pick along?

How would this play out? The Giants take #6 and repurpose it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

him or rosen.  it could go darnold/rosen, then indy takes offers.  for all we know a team like arizona could jump to 3.  

ARI doesn't have nearly as much draft pick value as NYJ or BUF.  It would take much more than their entire 2018 draft (by value).  Something like all of their 2018 picks and their 2019 first would probably be in the neighborhood.  Not to say they wouldn't do it but it's a brutal price.  Compare that with what we would need to put forward to equate to the same value.  Our #6, #37 and our 4th rounder.  In reality, it will likely cost even more but it comes down to whether IND feels they like the options at #15 vs. #6 vs. #3 (not trading at all).

If they stay, that's great.  That takes Chubb off the board ahead of us which is perfect.  At #6, they still have a shot at Chubb and if not, then they have their pick of LBs like Smith or Edmunds (their biggest need probably).  AT #15, those two are definitely off the board so they can now pick from Landry, Key or Evans.  And then in round 2, they would have our 5th pick in the round vs. ARI's 15th.  I just see no scenario where we should be outbid for that pick by ARI.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The other question would become, would the Giants want to help the Jets get a possible star at QB? The Giants are hyper-aware of how things play out in the NY media, and they love that the Jets are the clown shoes team in town. Why would they help us out?

They will if Gettleman is smart.  If we're willing to offer it, we have the best ammunition to trade up.  Giants can also still get one of their top guys at 6.  They have far more to lose than to gain by passing up a trade with us over pettiness.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Only thing I can think of is that they think our additional picks could make them compete right now and that we'll probably F it up anyway. And if there's a future first, they probably think it'd be a high first. 

I don’t know, man. If I’m the Giants, I don’t even risk letting the Jets run Rosen out there for ten years with the draft pick that I handed them in exchange for a guard.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Translation: I am talking out of my a$$

My a$$ must be magic then.

Just now, T0mShane said:

How would this play out? The Giants take #6 and repurpose it?

You mean trade down again?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, T0mShane said:

I don’t know, man. If I’m the Giants, I don’t even risk letting the Jets run Rosen out there for ten years with the draft pick that I handed them in exchange for a guard.

Not sure the Giants care about us as much as we'd like to believe.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t know, man. If I’m the Giants, I don’t even risk letting the Jets run Rosen out there for ten years with the draft pick that I handed them in exchange for a guard.

Yup

Just now, jgb said:

Not sure the Giants care about us as much as we'd like to believe.

They don't care about us because we never win. If they gift us a franchise QB and win a Super Bowl and a few division titles while they struggle to find their next franchise QB, they will be lynched in the media for a decade. Not worth the risk when they can trade with the Broncos or the Bills etc..

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I'm not gonna re-cap the busiest day in JN history. Just read some of the threads.

Some players choose a better situation over a little more money. It's not necessarily because it's the Jets. We got one of the top CB's on the market, one of the top ILBs, every situation is different. JMO

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yup

They don't care about us because we never win. If they gift us a franchise QB and win a Super Bowl and a few division titles while they struggle to find their next franchise QB, they will be lynched in the media for a decade. Not worth the risk when they can trade with the Broncos or the Bills etc..

If the packages are similar sure that comes into play. But if the Jets blow out the other offers, the Giants would look stupid not maximizing value

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

They will unless Gettleman is a total moron.  If we're willing to offer it, we have the best ammunition to trade up.  Giants can also still get one of their top guys at 6.  They have far more to lose than to gain by passing up a trade with us over pettiness.

I think that pettiness may be worth giving the #2 to Buffalo for the 12 and 22. If the Giants are trading out because they want to draft OLs, you’re still in as good shape to get one at 12as you are at 6 unless they’ve got a massive hard on for Nelson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Some players choose a better situation over a little more money. It's not necessarily because it's the Jets. We got one of the top CB's on the market, one of the top ILBs, every situation is different. JMO

Like I said 1 is understandable. A trend is, well it's a trend and a troubling one at that. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jgb said:

About which part? This should be interesting 

About your claim that FAs are turning down more money to play elsewhere.  You even said there was a "report" with 3-4 players.  Other than Kirk, no one turned down "more money" to play elsewhere 

Go on.  Show your work.  This should be interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If the packages are similar sure that comes into play. But if the Jets blow out the other offers, the Giants would look stupid not maximizing value

Macc isn't going to massively overpay for anything in our lifetime. Whatever the Jets are willing to pay, I am sure another team is willing to pay about the same price. There is no universe in which Macc is willing to pay WAY more to move up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yup

They don't care about us because we never win. If they gift us a franchise QB and win a Super Bowl and a few division titles while they struggle to find their next franchise QB, they will be lynched in the media for a decade. Not worth the risk when they can trade with the Broncos or the Bills etc..

Maybe you're right but honestly they got nothing to prove vis a via the Jets. They've done what Jets can't do: beat the Pats consistently when it matters. We are a roommate that helps cover the expenses and never does anything to challenge them as alpha dogs of the apartment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Macc isn't going to massively overpay for anything in our lifetime. Whatever the Jets are willing to pay, I am sure another team is willing to pay about the same price. There is no universe in which Macc is willing to pay WAY more to move up. 

I'd really love to have someone leak who else wanted McCown and at what price. Still no idea if anyone wanted Fitzpatrick when Macc bid against himself in that situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Macc isn't going to massively overpay for anything in our lifetime. Whatever the Jets are willing to pay, I am sure another team is willing to pay about the same price. There is no universe in which Macc is willing to pay WAY more to move up. 

Well some people believe they overpaid for FA players so that doesn't seem to fit. 

And desperate times call for desperate measures

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...