FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I hereby renounce my previous criticisms of Macc. It is undeniable that he is Actually Good, now that he’s signed [squints at index cards] Avery Williamson

You, a mange-ridden gibbon: The Jets aren’t competitive after four years of Maccagnan, so he’s probably bad at his his job.

Pac, an intellectual: Would someone who is bad at his job give this declining 29 year old cornerback $75 million dollars?

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Thanks to #math, the Minkah dream lives on.

The only question for the colts is if they want to drop that far?  Do you want to go from 3 to 12?  are you willing to lose a player you want.  LAst year the 49ers went from 2 to 3, got extra picks and still go ttheir player.  I would think that that is the colts idea.  going from 3 to 5 or 3 to 6 still allows them to get someone they want.  

52 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mac is paid a lot of money.  He needs to continue to find playmakers, build depth in the roster, and most importantly, navigate the QB situation correctly.  That requires judgment, and is as much an art as it is a science.  Thus far, he is really failing at all three.  People talk about the Jets needing playmakers and WRs-what about the 2 WRs and TE they picked last year?

He needs to evaluate the top 4 QBs and decide if it is worth trading up for them.  My guess is that he says yes and determines a responsible price for that.  My guess is that an intuitive GM pays a higher price.  One of them will be correct-we just don’t know which one.  

If he passes on one of the top 4, drafts Chubb or Nelson, and then tries to find a second round QB while playing the old and the crippled at QB, that could work out very badly for him if Teddy is not good.   I think that is more a function of Teddy’s recovery and health.  

He already has one foot in the hole based on how Mahomes and Watson play.  I am fine passing on Watson-too brittle and too weak arm for the Meadowlands.   If Mahomes is a star in a similar offense to what the Jets will be playing, that is strike 2 after Hack.  

If he gets outbid for Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield, likely at 3, and they turn out to be very good NFL QBs, that is strike 3, he is toast.  He will not get a chance to see if Lauretta or Falk that he picks in the second round turns out to be good.  FWIW, I do that there will be a lot of QBs scooped up at the end of the first round/beginning of the second.  The only one for the Jets to scoop up in the second of any note could be Falk, who is also a project.  

Mac can’t play it safe anymore.  He should be putting floor bids in front of the Giants and Colts for their picks.   This draft is all about the Giants-are they taking their QB of the future, or making a last run.  I hope it is MaraTisch making that call. 

Good post.

Bottom line, Maccagnan can’t think outside the box, he has had 6 opportunities to make this team better (3 drafts and 3 FA signing periods) and look at the current Jet roster, not 1 Single f**kin playmaker.  His premium pick selections in the draft have either been non playmakers or outright busts.  His Day 2/3 draft picks have been virtually ALL busts, evidence of this is that the Jets can’t even field a Special Teams unit that anyone would confuse with pro ball players.

He drafts scared and in reactive instead of proactive manner.

I just learned last night that it appears that even he knows that this draft could very well be his last if he does not score a Franchise QB.  Gil Brandt was at Baker Mayfield’s Pro Day in Oklahoma the other day, Maccagnan was there also. Brandt said that Maccagnan asked him “How far do you think Buffalo will go in trading up”.  

With those words I’m heavily leaning toward Maccagnan trading up, he has to to try and save his job.  The rest of the NFL knows he’s standing on 2 banana peels also.  Prepare for Maccagnan to get fleeced big time when he trades up.

This is happening.  So everyone say a prayer that this idiot lucks into a Franchise QB...because I feel that he’s trading away much of the next 2 Drafts.  Shame because the Jets should have a Top 3 Pick next year...Bowles will make sure of that.

1 minute ago, usanyj said:

The only question for the colts is if they want to drop that far?  Do you want to go from 3 to 12?  are you willing to lose a player you want.  LAst year the 49ers went from 2 to 3, got extra picks and still go ttheir player.  I would think that that is the colts idea.  going from 3 to 5 or 3 to 6 still allows them to get someone they want.  

In terms of non-QB talent, going from three to twelve isn’t that extreme, unless you want Saquon. There’s not a lot of separation among the OL, EDGE, WRs, CBs, etc. 

5 minutes ago, usanyj said:

buffalo may trade up again, colts may wind up trading back to 8.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

In terms of non-QB talent, going from three to twelve isn’t that extreme, unless you want Saquon. There’s not a lot of separation among the OL, EDGE, WRs, CBs, etc. 

Is still think a guy like chubb fits them well.  he wont be there at 12.  with everyone trading up possibly and a run on qbs early, they may have a guy like chubb and barkley to pick from.  if youre at 12, you def wont.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

buffalo may trade up again, colts may wind up trading back to 8.

True, but ill cross that bridge if we come to it.  At this point, a fall from 3 to 12 for a team that has an eye on a guy like chubb is a far fall.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or Nelson.  Moving to 6 allows them to have a good chance at either Chubb or Nelson if barkley is gone.  

Cleveland Darnold   Giants Barkley   Jets Mayfield  Cleveland Chubb  Denver Rosen  Colts Nelson + extra picks   

They still get their guy at a huge position of need and an extra pick(s).   If they go to 12 you are looking at non-elite CBs, a flawed pass rusher like Davenport, or a LT like McGlinchey (not a bad consolation prize if he is there).

5 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Is still think a guy like chubb fits them well.  he wont be there at 12.  with everyone trading up possibly and a run on qbs early, they may have a guy like chubb and barkley to pick from.  if youre at 12, you def wont.

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Or Nelson.  Moving to 6 allows them to have a good chance at either Chubb or Nelson if barkley is gone.  

Cleveland Darnold   Giants Barkley   Jets Mayfield  Cleveland Chubb  Denver Rosen  Colts Nelson + extra picks   

They still get their guy at a huge position of need and an extra pick(s).   If they go to 12 you are looking at non-elite CBs, a flawed pass rusher like Davenport, or a LT like McGlinchey (not a bad consolation prize if he is there).

That’s the calculation, though. If you’ve got Luck coming back and your HC is an offensive guru, would you rather have Bradley Chubb (at 6), or would you rather have McGlinchey (at 12) and Courtland Sutton (at 22)? It’s not that open and shut. The Colts are currently getting shut out in free agency and their roster is brutal.

On 3/14/2018 at 9:06 AM, Bugg said:

Most would go with James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman here, but when I think of the Jets' turd-filled braintrust, it's Gilbert Godfrey. 

The Colts would be stupid to do this trade. If they trade us, at least they’re in the ball park and only move 3 spots back. 

For once, I would probably pick our owner than Irsay. Guy is trash. 

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The Colts would be stupid to do this trade. If they trade us, at least they’re in the ball park and only move 3 spots back. 

For once, I would probably pick our owner than Irsay. Guy is trash. 

IF mccagnan is willing to part with the assets.  'at the end of the day' i don't think he will.  i think the most he'll give up is a 2nd and a pick in next year's draft.  and THAT's only b/c he has 2 2nd rounders.  but it would be a shame to lose out on mayfield b/c he's cheap. 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

IF mccagnan is willing to part with the assets.  'at the end of the day' i don't think he will.  i think the most he'll give up is a 2nd and a pick in next year's draft.  and THAT's only b/c he has 2 2nd rounders.  but it would be a shame to lose out on mayfield b/c he's cheap. 

We dont know the details of what the offers were or how cheap Mac is, but what we do know is that when Tunsil fell due to the weed mask, Mac was trying to move up to get him - how aggressive, we dont know, but he did see an opportunity and tried to take it.

The biggest thing to me is that Mac should be smart enough to realize that without a QB at 6, he will have a very tough time in the media, fans, and on the field.  I like Bridgewater and think he is better then what hes given credit for, but we need someone like Mayfield here to increase the chances and see if we can finally have an offense that puts points on the board.

Self preservation is more important then any other mitigating factor.  Mac should know that if he missed again, it doesnt matter how many picks we have in 2019, he wont be here to use them.  Its time for him to tie himself to a guy like Baker and see what happens.

Just now, BCJet said:

We dont know the details of what the offers were or how cheap Mac is, but what we do know is that when Tunsil fell due to the weed mask, Mac was trying to move up to get him - how aggressive, we dont know, but he did see an opportunity and tried to take it.

The biggest thing to me is that Mac should be smart enough to realize that without a QB at 6, he will have a very tough time in the media, fans, and on the field.  I like Bridgewater and think he is better then what hes given credit for, but we need someone like Mayfield here to increase the chances and see if we can finally have an offense that puts points on the board.

Self preservation is more important then any other mitigating factor.  Mac should know that if he missed again, it doesnt matter how many picks we have in 2019, he wont be here to use them.  Its time for him to tie himself to a guy like Baker and see what happens.

the concept that mccagnan 'tries' to move up at this point is laughable.  he simply does not want to pay what other teams are willing to pay, and that's why we have no qb heading into his 4th draft.  

30 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

What a puny offer. If we dont beat that...

If you run the math based on the Draft Trade Chart, that is nearly perfect value trade. 

If the Jets were to match and even outdue that trade by a little we would have to give up our 

6, 49 and 72 to move up to 3. 

Knowing Macc, I doubt he will offer up much more than that. 

Jets make curious decision to host this free agent with recent run-in with the law 

The Jets may have had three players arrested in the past three months, but they remain open to exploring all opportunities with any player who they believe can help them regardless of past/recent run-ins with the law.

Cornerback Rashard Robinson (marijuana), wide receiver Robby Anderson (speeding/mouthing off to an officer) and linebacker Dylan Donahue (DWI/driving the wrong way into the Lincoln Tunnel) have each embarrassed the organization in their own way since December.

So, it was curious why Gang Green hosted free-agent linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis at the team facility on Thursday, according to ESPN.

Several of Mike Maccagnan’s players have had a troublesome 2018 off the field, and he may choose to add to that list.

Several of Mike Maccagnan’s players have had a troublesome 2018 off the field, and he may choose to add to that list.

(MEL EVANS/AP)

Pierre-Louis, who played 14 games in a backup role for the Chiefs last season, was arrested and charged in late January with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia, first marijuana possession, having no driver's license and having no display of a numbered license plate, according to an ESPN.com report at the time of the alleged incident.

Pierre-Louis was pulled over by police in Kansas due to an expired license plate. Police smelled pot in the car, according to a report from KSHB Kansas City television. Pierre-Louis ultimately told officers that there were two grams of marijuana in the car, according to the report.

Kevin Pierre-Louis.

Kevin Pierre-Louis.

(MICHAEL AINSWORTH/AP)

Pierre-Louis has one career start in four seasons with Seattle and Kansas City.

The Jets, trying to re-make their culture, probably don't need another potential headache.

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You, a mange-ridden gibbon: The Jets aren’t competitive after four years of Maccagnan, so he’s probably bad at his his job.

Pac, an intellectual: Would someone who is bad at his job give this declining 29 year old cornerback $75 million dollars?

Remember how great things worked out the last time Maccagnan spent a bunch of money in free agency? Well get excited folk’s, bc were doing it all again

1 hour ago, Lith said:

By my estimates, looks like we have spent about $54mil so far.  We had about $90 mil cap space, so worst case, we should have about $36mil left.

image.png

We probably are more like $40M - $45M in space.  Contract details have not yet been reported for all players, so I am assuming average value as the 2018 hit for Johnson, Long and Williamson.  Its been reported that Crowell's hit will be $2mil this year.  Some, if not all of these probably have some big unguaranteed numbers on the back end, so the hit is likely lower this year. 

Still plenty of space to go get a Honey Badger.

I said it another thread but I'd be fine with keeping Skrine but if I'm not mistaken, they can save 4mill by cutting him?  Could make even more room if they were serious about HB. 

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the concept that mccagnan 'tries' to move up at this point is laughable.  he simply does not want to pay what other teams are willing to pay, and that's why we have no qb heading into his 4th draft.  

If he doesn't make a splash in the draft by going and getting "his" qb, both him and Bowles will be fired at the end of the season.

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Remember how great things worked out the last time Maccagnan spent a bunch of money in free agency? Well get excited folk’s, bc were doing it all again

I remember but at least this time around we are getting younger players.

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

If he doesn't make a splash in the draft by going and getting "his" qb, both him and Bowles will be fired at the end of the season.

i'm not disagreeing with you.  but based on what we know about him, if he's on the phone with indy's gm and the guy is telling mccags what the bills offer is, and if he'll up his offer, i just don't have faith that he's willing to part with the draft picks - especially, at that point, if it's for mayfield or allen, assuming darnold and rosen are gone.  i could easily see him bailing, buffalo getting allen, and then mccagnan praying that elway doesn't take mayfield.  or, maybe he can convince cleveland to go back 2 spots, take mayfield, but cleveland would have to assume that nobody is trading up for barkley with denver.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

By my estimates, looks like we have spent about $54mil so far.  We had about $90 mil cap space, so worst case, we should have about $36mil left.

image.png

We probably are more like $40M - $45M in space.  Contract details have not yet been reported for all players, so I am assuming average value as the 2018 hit for Johnson, Long and Williamson.  Its been reported that Crowell's hit will be $2mil this year.  Some, if not all of these probably have some big unguaranteed numbers on the back end, so the hit is likely lower this year. 

You have to also factor in about 9 million for the rookies we will be signing in the draft, maybe a little more for undrafted rookies. So that leaves us with 25 million. Still enough to bring in a couple of more pieces. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You have to also factor in about 9 million for the rookies we will be signing in the draft, maybe a little more for undrafted rookies. So that leaves us with 25 million. Still enough to bring in a couple of more pieces. 

Also, Cutting Skrine will help offset some money paid to the Honey Badger.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

image.png

McCown only counts 5 mil onto the cap as I believe he has a $5 mil base salary and $5 mil signing bonus.

14 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I know you are being sarcastic but I'm excited. 

The last time Mac splurged, we had a good season - ten wins including the Cheats at home.  The place exploded when Decker caught that ball.

I'll take some excitement.

Now a FA..lol..My guess he's going to the Athletic

Gary Myers ‏@garymyersNYDN 

I am leaving the NY Daily News after 29 years. I've enjoyed covering the run from Parcells to the Butt Fumble to present day & am so appreciative of all who have read my work, whether you agreed or disagreed with my opinion. Thank you to all who supported me through the years.

35 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The minkah dream is on life support due to lack of playing space.

Try this: See all these posts freaking out about what a great fit Mathieu would be here? Minkah is a bigger, more athletic Honey Badger who won’t cost you $11 mil per season.

29 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The good news? They’re not all end-of-life castoffs this time.

The bad news? They’re not as good in the short term as those end-of-life castoffs were.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Try this: See all these posts freaking out about what a great fit Mathieu would be here? Minkah is a bigger, more athletic Honey Badger who won’t cost you $11 mil per season.

but we know HB is a playmaker and has proven it in the league, we also know he did well in TB defense. Minkah has never played an NFL game, remember Dee Milliner? lol. I mean he was supposed to be good and well he sucked so yeah I would spend a little more on a 26 yr old that has shown he can play at a high level.

Archived