FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

We'll be paying our nickel back Honey Badger money though.  And he's not really a nickel, is he?  He's not really a safety either.  He's a good football player without a clear position that can make some splash plays.

I think the Honey Badger should go to a win-now team because I think the expiration date on his career quickly approaching.  I'd bet he's got about two years of quality football left in him.

No, Badger played nickel his entire LSU career. He is a NB. And he is only 25 year old.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

I still firmly believe we trade up.

Who do you think is worth trading up to?

I couldn't disagree more, with the moves we made in FA, Im good with taking who falls to us, because more than likely it will be at least two qbs to choose from. With all the question on all of them, it doesn't matter to me who.

But you must have a pick in mind

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

With all the holes still remaining on this team, you want to give $11mm per to a nickel back that blitzes sometimes? You’re going to hand out over $50 million dollars in cash to the CB position alone this season, for what exactly?

Well what holes are left that are major?

QB (we know where that's going)

TE

DE/PR

32 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Just checked and there are still some solid OG’s left on the market. Notably Justin Pugh and Jack Mewhort.

Both are probably better fits for a zone blocking scheme than Carpenter.

Good idea, but we are not signing a guard because:

• The chances of taking a Guard in the first or second round are too high
  • Winters is under contract this year
  • They like Dozier.  

As odd as it sounds the Giants trading out of 2 and the Bills giving up everything might be the best option for us. Makes the 3rd pick between the Jets and Broncos. Or the Jets and Broncos can sit pat and take the next 2 QBs. 

Browns - Darnold

Bills - Allen

Colts - Chubb

Browns - Barkley

Broncos - Mayfield/Rosen

Jets - Mayfield/Rosen

this would be my ideal scenario because I think the Colts want Chubb and the Browns want Barkley. I would bet the price to move to 3 or 4 would be a 2nd round pick because the Broncos and Jets may be fine with either of those 2 options. I don't foresee another team jumping us.

6 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I couldn't disagree more, with the moves we made in FA, Im good with taking who falls to us, because more than likely it will be at least two qbs to choose from. With all the question on all of them, it doesn't matter to me who.

Josh Rosen. Purest thrower in the draft. Plays snaps under center.can dissect defenses if given time. Can make perfect touch throws and put the ball on the spot every time. Fast processor. Quick smart decisions and goes through reads 1-4. He has the make up of a franchise QB. I get the injuries are a concern. This west coast system should help him get the ball quickly, pair that with a nice Oline upgrade and you’ll suddenly forget the injury.

Teddy and McCown are only one year deals with a lot of it being incentive based money. They aren’t the future and the Jets have made that clear by giving them the contracts they have now. 

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

if the top 4 QBs are gone and if Chubb or Barkley are available at #6, then you you take the stud and don't trade down.  Then use some of your draft capital to make sure you get Jackson, Laulletta, White or whatever QB you like in the next tier. But to purposely pass on Chubb/Barkley and not come away with a premier player when one is there at 6 would be a disaster.  

Use 6 on one of the top 4 QBs if there and if none are there then it MUST be the case that either Chubb or Barklley is there.  OMG, you don't trade out of that.  It would be the only saving grace to having missed out on the top 4.  

But, other than for PR value, do the Jets really want the 4th QB, if he is Allen?

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Josh Rosen. Purest thrower in the draft. Plays snaps under center.can dissect defenses if given time. Can make perfect touch throws and put the ball on the spot every time. Fast processor. Quick smart decisions and goes through reads 1-4. He has the make up of a franchise QB. I get the injuries are a concern. This west coast system should help him get the ball quickly, pair that with a nice Oline upgrade and you’ll suddenly forget the injury.

Teddy and McCown are one one year deals with a lot of it being incentive based money. They aren’t the future and the Jets have made that clear by giving them the contracts they have now. 

I agree.  And all this talk about his attitude and having a good life without football will be fine because our secondary will teach him to dance and loosen up.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

OL is already improved. Improving the center should impact the others.

Not a major need at WR as I said.

OLB ok

Point being, you’re going to dump a full third of the salary cap at corner when there are replacement level players all over the roster and you’re going to be 6-10? 

2 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Our WR core is average at best,  Maybe not a major need but definitely something we need to address soon, especially if we grab a QB.  

I think unless we were getting a stud like Watkins/Robinson the plan was to wait a year for WR. We have Enunwa and the 2 rookies from last year to test out. With over $50M in cap next year we can target whoever the top receiver is. 

Top needs: QB & Edge

Secondary needs: TE, RB, G

2019 potential needs: WR ($50M in cap) & LT (1st round pick)

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Point being, you’re going to dump a full third of the salary cap at corner when there are replacement level players all over the roster and you’re going to be 6-10? 

It all depends where and who that Honey Badger money would be spent on.  I would rather create a strength in the secondary for several years than to patch up some holes with less than average players.   

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

As odd as it sounds the Giants trading out of 2 and the Bills giving up everything might be the best option for us. Makes the 3rd pick between the Jets and Broncos. Or the Jets and Broncos can sit pat and take the next 2 QBs. 

Browns - Darnold

Bills - Allen

Colts - Chubb

Browns - Barkley

Broncos - Mayfield/Rosen

Jets - Mayfield/Rosen

this would be my ideal scenario because I think the Colts want Chubb and the Browns want Barkley. I would bet the price to move to 3 or 4 would be a 2nd round pick because the Broncos and Jets may be fine with either of those 2 options. I don't foresee another team jumping us.

I'm starting to think the Giants take a QB. I just don't see how you can pass on one. Darnold then Rosen. Or vice versa. It's happening. And it sucks. 

26 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly, if Mac trades up it better be from 6 and not from the second round.  If you’re giving up picks,  give them up for a premium pick.  Otherwise just take Jackson at 6 and keep the rest of your draft intact.  

What if the price to move up to 3 was our 1st, both 2nds, our third, and a 2nd or 3rd next year?  If you think Darnold or Rosen are going to be elite NFL players, then sure.  What if they go 1-2.  Are you willing to give up our whole draft to take Mayfield or even worse, Josh Allen instead of just taking Chubb (if Mayfield is gone by 6) and taking Jackson or Lauletta in the second round?  Even if it cost us 2 of those next three picks of ours, it would be worth it.

Our defense with a vanilla offense should win enough games to contend for the playoffs.  Bring in Jackson in November/December.  No one would have any film on him and we could actually make a run, similar to SF a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I'm starting to think the Giants take a QB. I just don't see how you can pass on one. Darnold then Rosen. Or vice versa. It's happening. And it sucks. 

I think it depends on Webb and Eli. If they want to see Webb and believe Eli has 2 more years then you load up and go for the ring. Once Eli retires you trade the farm like the Eagles did to get Wentz. I thought they'd for sure take a QB but I think Barkley or a massive trade down is just as likely.

If QBs go 1/2 then I don't care what price we need to pay there is no way I want Buffalo to nab a franchise QB while we are sitting on our thumb. 

7 minutes ago, Pcola said:

What if the price to move up to 3 was our 1st, both 2nds, our third, and a 2nd or 3rd next year?  If you think Darnold or Rosen are going to be elite NFL players, then sure.  What if they go 1-2.  Are you willing to give up our whole draft to take Mayfield or even worse, Josh Allen instead of just taking Chubb (if Mayfield is gone by 6) and taking Jackson or Lauletta in the second round?  Even if it cost us 2 of those next three picks of ours, it would be worth it.

Our defense with a vanilla offense should win enough games to contend for the playoffs.  Bring in Jackson in November/December.  No one would have any film on him and we could actually make a run, similar to SF a few years ago.

Guess it all depends on how strong the feels are for the various QBs. I do dispute we can contend for playoffs with current offense though. We have no one that commands a double team. That's a problem.

I honestly believe that Barkley is a future HOF calibre player. I’m only very happy that we managed to get Bridgewater, liked him coming out and thought he showed real promise before injury. I get the apprehension with regards to his knee but I believe it’s the one of the few things MCC actually got right by signing him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Teddy and McCown are only one year deals with a lot of it being incentive based money. They aren’t the future and the Jets have made that clear by giving them the contracts they have now. 

I am sorry.  I am just finding it really hard to believe that the Browns would take Rosen, and that Giants would pass on him.

The Giants, who have always looked for a drop back passer, in a region with more Jewish people than anywhere else in the world, whose co-owner is Jewish, whose GM is Jewish, whose QB is at the end of his career, is going to pass on a brilliiant Jewish QB with a challenging personality?  The Giants are going to pass on Rosen?  Are we nuts?  So the Jets can trade up to the Colts to get him?  So Eli and OBJ can try and reach the playoffs again after being the second worst team in the league last year?  So that Barkley can run behind a terrible OL?  I don't believe it.  I really don't.  The Giants are taking Rosen after the Browns take Darnold.  

16 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Darnold or Rosen only.  I’m not yet convinced that Mayfield is that much better a prospect than Chubb and Barkley.  Even if Mayfield turns out to be an average QB, is that worth missing out on a premium pass rusher?  I am certain a Allen is not.

If Macc is convinced Mayfield can learn and lead our offense to be a perennial playoff contender, than go for it.  But I’m think Bowles is not going to want Mayfield or Allen to be throwing very often.  Why would we give up so much to hand the ball off?

If the draft doesn’t go Darnold-Rosen, then we have to outbid the Bills and AZ for that third pick.  We also don’t want to give up next year’s #1 pick.  Trade value chart says the #3 pick is worth 2200 points.  I’m thinking 2800 points might do it.  Indy could add 1-6, 2-5, 2-17, 2019 #3.  That would be 2679 and they would still walk away with Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, or Minkah Fitzpatrick.  

To match that, the Bills would have to give up both of their firsts and both seconds.  And for that, Indy would miss out on the top prospects and would be looking at Calvin Ridley or Connor Williams type of prospect.

Archived