FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think it depends on Webb and Eli. If they want to see Webb and believe Eli has 2 more years then you load up and go for the ring. Once Eli retires you trade the farm like the Eagles did to get Wentz. I thought they'd for sure take a QB but I think Barkley or a massive trade down is just as likely.

If QBs go 1/2 then I don't care what price we need to pay there is no way I want Buffalo to nab a franchise QB while we are sitting on our thumb. 

nope nope nope. Not buying it lol. They were saying on the radio the Gettleman has been completely quiet about what he wants to do and that maybe they're enjoying this talk of them taking Barkley so they can spook the Browns into taking him at 1, so they have their choice of QB at 2. Which I think is exactly what's going on. 

Either way, Rosen is gone by 2 and that kills me. Jets better find a way to get Mayfield after that.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, prime21 said:

It all depends where and who that Honey Badger money would be spent on.  I would rather create a strength in the secondary for several years than to patch up some holes with less than average players.   

Unpopular opinion: the Jets have a very expensive secondary wherein none of the players in that secondary have ever made the Pro Bowl and in which none are Pro Bowl caliber players. Dudes are a little out over their skis right now. 

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I am sorry.  I am just finding it really hard to believe that the Browns would take Rosen, and that Giants would pass on him.

The Giants, who have always looked for a drop back passer, in a region with more Jewish people than anywhere else in the world, whose co-owner is Jewish, whose GM is Jewish, whose QB is at the end of his career, is going to pass on a brilliiant Jewish QB with a challenging personality?  The Giants are going to pass on Rosen?  Are we nuts?  So the Jets can trade up to the Colts to get him?  So Eli and OBJ can try and reach the playoffs again after being the second worst team in the league last year?  So that Barkley can run behind a terrible OL?  I don't believe it.  I really don't.  The Giants are taking Rosen after the Browns take Darnold.  

Dorsey was interviewed in November (before he was the Cle GM) and said he was turned off by Rosen’s personality and there fore wouldn’t touch him.

Rosen’s upbringing and political philosophies are the exact opposite of Cleveland and their blue collar fans.  If they did take him, he would have to win almost immediately or they would hate him.

15 minutes ago, Pcola said:

What if the price to move up to 3 was our 1st, both 2nds, our third, and a 2nd or 3rd next year?  If you think Darnold or Rosen are going to be elite NFL players, then sure.  What if they go 1-2.  Are you willing to give up our whole draft to take Mayfield or even worse, Josh Allen instead of just taking Chubb (if Mayfield is gone by 6) and taking Jackson or Lauletta in the second round?  Even if it cost us 2 of those next three picks of ours, it would be worth it.

Our defense with a vanilla offense should win enough games to contend for the playoffs.  Bring in Jackson in November/December.  No one would have any film on him and we could actually make a run, similar to SF a few years ago.

Just now, MDL_JET said:

nope nope nope. Not buying it lol. They were saying on the radio the Gettleman has been completely quiet about what he wants to do and that maybe they're enjoying this talk of them taking Barkley so they can spook the Browns into taking him at 1, so they have their choice of QB at 2. Which I think is exactly what's going on. 

Either way, Rosen is gone by 2 and that kills me. Jets better find a way to get Mayfield after that.

Here is another one:  Does Mac give up the ranch to take a 6 foot tall QB with an arrest for public intoxication at 3?  So he can hang out in Chelsea?

I am not seeing that one either.  I am not saying I would disagree if he did, but I am just not seeing it.  Mayfield is a no brainer at 6, but he is not making it there.  At least if he falls to the Jets they can use their draft picks for supporting players.

Boy or Boy did these clowns mess this up, and we have been saying that for 6 months.  It is really sinking in now.  

Just now, varjet said:

I am sorry.  I am just finding it really hard to believe that the Browns would take Rosen, and that Giants would pass on him.

The Giants, who have always looked for a drop back passer, in a region with more Jewish people than anywhere else in the world, whose co-owner is Jewish, whose GM is Jewish, whose QB is at the end of his career, is going to pass on a brilliiant Jewish QB with a challenging personality?  The Giants are going to pass on Rosen?  Are we nuts?  So the Jets can trade up to the Colts to get him?  So Eli and OBJ can try and reach the playoffs again after being the second worst team in the league last year?  So that Barkley can run behind a terrible OL?  I don't believe it.  I really don't.  The Giants are taking Rosen after the Browns take Darnold.  

They just botched on their effort to get Norwell. They settled for a new aging LT and still have plenty of holes to fill come April. Gettleman has said countless times(and I believe him) that he thinks Eli has 2-3 years left in him and it was the O-line and major WR injuries which resulted in their season. Giants can afford to take Falk in the 2nd round and trade down to fill holes in their O-line(a very heavy Guard/Center draft at that,perfect time) while still taking Nelson or someone impactful to help Eli right now. They aren’t getting a QB at 2 just to sit him. Gettleman comments were “you only take a QB at 2 if he is going to be a Hall of Famer” they aren’t convinced these QB’s will be that. The writing is on the wall.

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

Dorsey was interviewed in November (before he was the Cle GM) and said he was turned off by Rosen’s personality and there fore wouldn’t touch him.

Rosen’s upbringing and political philosophies are the exact opposite of Cleveland and their blue collar fans.  If they did take him, he would have to win almost immediately or they would hate him.

I said that and agree.  The Browns ain't taking Rosen. But apply that analysis to the Giants in the inverse.  They ARE taking Rosen.

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Not that you're wrong about the Giants taking Rosen... But please tell me you don't actually think the kid being Jewish is going to influence their decision?

5 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Yea I can definitely believe that. I would hope that we'd throw the farm at Indy to land Mayfield then.

One elite pass rusher makes your whole secondary one notch better.

Good DBs with a pass rush?  = Great DBS

Medium DBs with a pass rush?  = Good DBs

Half jag DBs with a pass rush?  = Medium DBs

And when I say pass rush I do not mean, hey!  We have to blitz a S or ILB ever play to get pressure!

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Here is another one:  Does Mac give up the ranch to take a 6 foot tall QB with an arrest for public intoxication at 3?  So he can hang out in Chelsea?

I am not seeing that one either.  I am not saying I would disagree if he did, but I am just not seeing it.  Mayfield is a no brainer at 6, but he is not making it there.  At least if he falls to the Jets they can use their draft picks for supporting players.

Boy or Boy did these clowns mess this up, and we have been saying that for 6 months.  It is really sinking in now.  

I don't think that's a big deal to teams. I think they'd be more worried about his maturity on the field (crotch grabbing) then problems off the field, if anything.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

They just botched on their effort to get Norwell. They settled for a new aging LT and still have plenty of holes to fill come April. Gettleman has said countless times(and I believe him) that he thinks Eli has 2-3 years left in him and it was the O-line and major WR injuries which resulted in their season. Giants can afford to take Falk in the 2nd round and trade down to fill holes in their O-line(a very heavy Guard/Center draft at that,perfect time) while still taking Nelson or someone impactful to help Eli right now. They aren’t getting a QB at 2 just to sit him. Gettleman comments were “you only take a QB at 2 if he is going to be a Hall of Famer” they aren’t convinced these QB’s will be that. The writing is on the wall.

Well if this is actually how they are thinking, then we make an offer to Indy that they can’t refuse.  That would be a tremendous coup for the Jets so I can’t imagine it even remotely possible at this point.  I would love to be surprised draft night.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

And when I say pass rush I do not mean, hey!  We have to blitz a S or ILB ever play to get pressure!

Wonder what'll happen if we're at 6, and Chubb is there along Allen. Bowles might lock Mac out of the room and make the call for Chubb.

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Not that you're wrong about the Giants taking Rosen... But please tell me you don't actually think the kid being Jewish is going to influence their decision?

I don't think it should, but I think if the pick is a toss up, it could tip the balance.  Rosen is a great QB prospect.  I think the NY market could get him to stick at it longer.  

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Let's say the Giants really like only one of the 4 QBs and Cleveland takes that QB. What do they do?

Depends-if they want Barkley they take him. Otherwise they trade down and take Nelson.

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Wonder what'll happen if we're at 6, and Chubb is there along Allen. Bowles might lock Mac out of the room and make the call for Chubb.

I think they take Chubb, and I would agree with that.  Either or trade down.  

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So you're advocating for drafting Chubb at 6? 

Maybe we are saving our money because we know a team is about to try and unload a pass rusher due to cap issues, but that's unlikely. What we do know is that any FA that is a really good pass rusher doesn't hit the open market that often. They are either given big contract extensions or franchised.

The last really good one was Oliver Vernon who the Giants signed for 85 million and he has generated a whopping 15 sacks in 2 years (6.5 last year while Darron Lee had 3 and Demario Davis had 5). 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you're advocating for drafting Chubb at 6? 

Maybe we are saving our money because we know a team is about to try and unload a pass rusher due to cap issues, but that's unlikely. What we do know is that any FA that is a really good pass rusher doesn't hit the open market that often. They are either given big contract extensions or franchised.

The last really good one was Oliver Vernon who the Giants signed for 85 million and he has generated a whopping 15 sacks in 2 years (6.5 last year while Darron Lee had 3 and Demario Davis had 5). 

This team has been without a pass rusher for over a decade.  The last guy to really make our DBs look better than they were was Abraham.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

This team has been without a pass rusher for over a decade.  The last guy to really make our DBs look better than they were was Abraham.

Chubb is better suited playing on the inside. He isn’t quick enough to bend the corner. His 3 cone drill and 40 were disgustingly bad.

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not just thay but Shurmer was a hugr Davis Webb fan during last year’s draft and wanted Minnesota to draft him. They may believe Eli has 2-3 years left, while developing Webb is good enough for them.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Not just thay but Shurmer was a hugr Davis Webb fan during last year’s draft and wanted Minnesota to draft him. They may believe Eli has 2-3 years left, while developing Webb is good enough for them.

Gettleman said himself that he liked Webb as a QB who can develop behind Eli. They will trout out Eli/Webb/Falk ..bank on it.

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Guess it all depends on how strong the feels are for the various QBs. I do dispute we can contend for playoffs with current offense though. We have no one that commands a double team. That's a problem.

Agreed.  Hoping the new ZBS that Bates will use will improve our OL.  Then Josh just needs to play as well or better than last year, Powell and Crowell combine for 1250 yards, and Anderson behaves.

That way when McCown gets hurt in December, instead of Petty coming in and being Petty, we have Lamar Jackson with very fresh legs against tired and beat up defenses.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Chubb is better suited playing on the inside. He isn’t quick enough to bend the corner. His 3 cone drill and 40 were disgustingly bad.

He’s a 4-3 end.  If Bowles is such a genius, than figure out a way to make it work.  

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Chubb is better suited playing on the inside. He isn’t quick enough to bend the corner. His 3 cone drill and 40 was disgustingly bad.

He had a better 3 cone/40 than Demarcus Lawrence. He had a better 40 (not as good 3 cone) as Joey Bosa. 

Chubb is a beast and I am fairly confident he will find his way to the QB, one way or another, 10+ times a game. Whether he is available and whether we want to ignore Offense for the 37th straight draft is a different discussion. 

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Then we want no part of him.

My actual point about the pass rusher is that if we actually had one we wouldn't have to break the bank on the secondary for Toddy Bowles.

Free Agency Debrief: Four reshaped teams I can't wait to see

facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  
Print
  • _Rosenthal1-65x90.jpg
  • By Gregg Rosenthal
  • Around The NFL Editor

The busiest week of the NFL offseason is winding down, with an uncomfortable reality looming around the corner: There's going to be a long wait to see these reconfigured squads play actual football again.

After a flurry of surprises in this first wild phase of free agency, here's a look at the four teams I'm most eager to see back on the field in their new form:

Cleveland Browns

It's hard to fully believe coach Hue Jackson when he says that there will be "no competition" at quarterback this offseason because trade acquisitionTyrod Taylor is the starter. And it doesn't particularly matter. The Browns already have a quarterback with better big-play ability than any that Jackson has coached in his disastrous two years with the team. The expected addition of a high-octane rookie quarterback, likely with the No. 1 pick, will only make the Browns even more watchable in 2018.

In wideout Jarvis Landry, the Browns traded for the surest pair of hands in football, a slot receiver who can beat defenders before and after the catch with short-area quickness. Free-agent running back Carlos Hyde is a boom-or-bust pickup who can often be more entertaining than effective, like a poor man's LeSean McCoy. I'll take that over watching another 3-yard gain from Isaiah Crowell, who left to sign with the Jets. Jackson should also benefit from having Josh Gordon -- who returned to the field last December after losing the previous three years to a series of suspensions -- in a full offseason of practices.

The Browns don't necessarily look like anything more than the type of 5-11 outfit that drove Cleveland fans plenty crazy throughout most of the last two decades, but the excitement here is partly due to how unfinished this team remains. With two picks in the top four of the draft and four picks in the top 35, the Browns' free-agency-season splurge -- they also added T.J. Carrie, Darren Fells, Chris Hubbard, Chris Smith, Terrance Mitchell and Donald Stephenson -- will be supplemented by top-shelf rookie talent. This team should look barely recognizable by the time Week 1 arrives, which is the only sensible approach coming off a winless season.

Los Angeles Rams

The Rams upgrading their excellent secondary is one of the big upsets of this offseason. General manager Les Snead knew last month that he had three starters headed to free agency (safety Lamarcus Joyner, cornerback Trumaine Johnson and nickel back Nickell Robey-Coleman) and another one (Kayvon Webster) recovering from an Achilles tear. The Rams' relative lack of salary-cap space made it appear that defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' group would inevitably take a step back.

Instead, Snead found a way to improvethe No. 1 corner spot, going from Johnson to former Chief Marcus Peters, while saving a lot of money in the process. Trading for Aqib Talib, who played his best career ball under Phillips in Denver, shored up the other starting spot, while Snead was able to retain Joyner with the franchise tag and keep Robey-Coleman on a bargain contract.

All three Rams cornerbacks ranked in the top 25 of Pro Football Focus' grades in 2017. Both safeties, including 2017 rookie John Johnson, ranked in the top 10 at their position. Talib and Peters bring personality and competitiveness to a defense built for thievery. A catchy nickname is the only remaining piece to the puzzle for what should be the best secondary in football.

Chicago Bears

New coach Matt Nagy's expected aggressive offensive philosophy was quickly matched in free agency by GM Ryan Pace's fervor in acquiring Nagy some toys. It's incredibly rare to see a receiver with a true No. 1 skill set become available in free agency, so Pace accepted some risk in Allen Robinson, who is coming off a torn ACL. Although, in 2018, it's not that huge a risk, anyhow, with most young players returning from ACL surgery nearly good as new.

In tight end Trey Burton and wide receiver Taylor Gabriel, the Bears paid a lot of money for role players. But Pace was determined to build Nagy's offense from scratch quickly in the same manner that Snead did for Rams coach Sean McVay and quarterback Jared Goff last year. Now second-year pro Mitchell Trubisky will have an array of options, with Nagy able to dictate matchup advantages on the perimeter. The Bears needed a group of weapons, not just a signing or two. With running backs Jordan Howard and Tarik Cohen already in place, they at least have a starting five.

Pace is not done yet, as the team must continue to fill out its wide receiver depth. But the Bears' moves on defense (re-signing cornerback Prince Amukamara and picking up linebacker Aaron Lynch, a former acolyte of coordinator Vic Fangio) bodes well for that side of the ball remaining steady. If the John Fox Bears were in the dark ages in terms of watchability, Nagy should bring them into the light, safe for national television again.

Tennessee Titans

Like Nagy in Chicago, new Titans coach Mike Vrabel was bound to feel like a jolt of energy compared to his sleepy coaching predecessor. The acquisition ofcornerback Malcolm Butler will further invigorate a defense that was too often lifeless a season ago. Butler plays with a rare manic energy, not so different from his new/old teammate Logan Ryan, a fellow former Patriot.

The offensive philosophy of coordinator Matt LaFleur, who comes from the Kyle Shanahan/Sean McVay coaching tree, should only help open up this offense. In former Patriots running back Dion Lewis, the Titans got the perfect complement to bruising runner Derrick Henry. Both Lewis and Henry will be better players with lesser workloads.

My inclusion of the Titans here is partly due to the players that are no longer with the team. From Matt Cassel and Eric Decker to Harry Douglas, DeMarco Murray and Da'Norris Searcy, the Titans unloaded members of a roster that seemed destined for the soft middle of NFL standings. Butler, Lewis and a new approach on offense should give the Titans a higher ceiling -- and provide for a smoother viewing experience on Sundays.

Archived