FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He had a better 3 cone/40 than Demarcus Lawrence. He had a better 40 (not as good 3 cone) as Joey Bosa. 

Chubb is a beast and I am fairly confident he will find his way to the QB, one way or another, 10+ times a game. Whether he is available and whether we want to ignore Offense for the 37th straight draft is a different discussion. 

I’m not saying he won’t get to the QB. I am saying he is better on the inside though for a 3-4. I’d like a player with a different mold than him. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you're advocating for drafting Chubb at 6? 

Maybe we are saving our money because we know a team is about to try and unload a pass rusher due to cap issues, but that's unlikely. What we do know is that any FA that is a really good pass rusher doesn't hit the open market that often. They are either given big contract extensions or franchised.

The last really good one was Oliver Vernon who the Giants signed for 85 million and he has generated a whopping 15 sacks in 2 years (6.5 last year while Darron Lee had 3 and Demario Davis had 5). 

I think the Jets are waiting for Vinny Curry to be cut or possibly working out a trade with a late round pick. If the Jets could get up to two by taking on Vernons contract I might need to change my pants.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Then we want no part of him.

My actual point about the pass rusher is that if we actually had one we wouldn't have to break the bank on the secondary for Toddy Bowles.

I suggest a 2nd-3rd round prospect with upside. Anyone else will be off the board or not more important than getting our QB. There are a few real good ones in that range.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Gettleman said himself that he liked Webb as a QB who can develop behind Eli. They will trout out Eli/Webb/Falk ..bank on it.

Oh I didn’t know Gettleman liked Webb too. Good to hear. I think the only quarterback the VaGiants would ever even consider is Sam Darnold.

Rosen is too outspoken, “controversial”, and political. I don’t think he is. But the Giants don’t do business like that. Darnold is more their style for the face of the franchise. OBJ won’t be there after his contract because of that fact and $.

Mayfield similar reasons, and I don’t see them valuing Mayfield as a #2 pick.

Josh Allen is not accurate enough for Shurmur’s offense, as he has already states that he looks for and puts accuracy as the highest priority for a qb’s skillset.

If Darnold goes first (and I think he definitely will) I think VaGiants would love to trade down with us or Denver over Buffalo. Buffalo is a playoff team. The Jets or Denver’s first round pick of 2019 can easily be a top 5 pick. 

If you’re NYG, you take that pick so you can reevaluate possibly getting a qb next year if Webb looks terrible and Eli crumbles. 

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think the Jets are waiting for Vinny Curry to be cut or possibly working out a trade with a late round pick. If the Jets could get up to two by taking on Vernons contract I might need to change my pants.

Vernon's cap hit this year 17 million!!! 

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Oh I didn’t know Gettleman liked Webb too. Good to hear. I think the only quarterback the VaGiants would ever even consider is Sam Darnold.

Rosen is too outspoken, “controversial”, and political. I don’t think he is. But the Giants don’t do business like that. Darnold is more their style for the face of the franchise. OBJ won’t be there after his contract because of that fact and $.

Mayfield similar reasons, and I don’t see them valuing Mayfield as a #2 pick.

Josh Allen is not accurate enough for Shurmur’s offense, as he has already states that he looks for and puts accuracy as the highest priority for a qb’s skillset.

If Darnold goes first (and I think he definitely will) I think VaGiants would love to trade down with us or Denver over Buffalo. Buffalo is a playoff team. The Jets or Denver’s first round pick of 2019 can easily be a top 5 pick. 

If you’re NYG, you take that pick so you can reevaluate possibly getting a qb next year if Webb looks terrible and Eli crumbles. 

The Giants were one of the few teams that were considering signing Kaepernick. Mara went on the record saying he would have signed him, but the pushback he received from his season ticket base made him reconsider. They’re not opposed to bringing in players with an opinion at all. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If the Giants trade him to us then, absent a restructure, he would be a $13 million against the Jets cap in 2018 and all of the remaining $12 million of unamortized bonus he got would hit the Giants cap in 2018.

The Giants take a $17 million cap hit with him or a $12 million cap hit in dead bonus money if they trade him.  

Not happening folks.  They are not going to move down to #6 and give us #2 and Vernon just to save $5 million on this year's cap.  Hilarious.  Keep dreaming.

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yea and $19.5M in 2019 and 2020. You can cut him after this season if you want. If taking on an Edge Rusher who we tried to sign in 2016 could land us a franchise QB then I'm more than happy with that.

38 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

They just botched on their effort to get Norwell. They settled for a new aging LT and still have plenty of holes to fill come April. Gettleman has said countless times(and I believe him) that he thinks Eli has 2-3 years left in him and it was the O-line and major WR injuries which resulted in their season. Giants can afford to take Falk in the 2nd round and trade down to fill holes in their O-line(a very heavy Guard/Center draft at that,perfect time) while still taking Nelson or someone impactful to help Eli right now. They aren’t getting a QB at 2 just to sit him. Gettleman comments were “you only take a QB at 2 if he is going to be a Hall of Famer” they aren’t convinced these QB’s will be that. The writing is on the wall.

this is why it makes too much sense for buffalo to move to #2 and take rosen.  

if denver takes chubb or minkah, the jets will get mayfield.  i think denver won't wind up taking a qb if they can't have rosen or darnold, b/c elway needs to add an impact player now.  but if mccagnan really wants mayfield, waiting that out could cost him his job.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Who do you think is worth trading up to?

I couldn't disagree more, with the moves we made in FA, Im good with taking who falls to us, because more than likely it will be at least two qbs to choose from. With all the question on all of them, it doesn't matter to me who.

But you must have a pick in mind

Because we need a franchise qb. If Mac thinks one of these 4 is the guy he should trade up to make sure we land him. You can spend 90mil in free agency but if you don't have a franchise qb you won't bring home a super bowl. My hope is that we trade up to #3 and Barkley and Nelson go 1-2

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this is why it makes too much sense for buffalo to move to #2 and take rosen.  

if denver takes chubb or minkah, the jets will get mayfield.  i think denver won't wind up taking a qb if they can't have rosen or darnold, b/c elway needs to add an impact player now.  but if mccagnan really wants mayfield, waiting that out could cost him his job.

With how it’s looking I think Macc would be fine with Baker or Rosen, but his preferred QB is Rosen. Bills apparently love Allen but I think that is just a smoke screen and they actually love Rosen as we do. We need to make the move up soon.

Jet hater Gary Myers moving on

Gary MyersVerified account @garymyersNYDN

I am leaving the NY Daily News after 29 years. I've enjoyed covering the run from Parcells to the Butt Fumble to present day & am so appreciative of all who have read my work, whether you agreed or disagreed with my opinion. Thank you to all who supported me through the years.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Giants were one of the few teams that were considering signing Kaepernick. Mara went on the record saying he would have signed him, but the pushback he received from his season ticket base made him reconsider. They’re not opposed to bringing in players with an opinion at all. 

They are opposed now, for 3 reasons:

- Mara wanted Kap. He saw the pushback and folded.

- Mara had his dummie of a coach bench Eli. Then saw the media heat for it, fired him as the fall guy and Eli start the rest of the season.

- Mara has seen OBJ (along with previous examples) create a Jets-like “circus environment” with his team. I just can’t see them taking Rosen, or anyone but Darnold this year. I may be proven wrong. I think they’ll activey shop the pick though.

They hired Gettleman because he agrees with ownership who believe the team is a better coach and oline away from another super bowl.

If they wanted a complete rebuild from scratch I think they would have hired someone else as gm. Gettleman is here for 4 or 5 years, to bring another Eli-super bowl and then leave them with his handpicked replacement and qb of the future at that point. 

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

They are opposed now, for 3 reasons:

- Mara wanted Kap. He saw the pushback and folded.

- Mara had his dummie of a coach bench Eli. Then saw the media heat for it, fired him as the fall guy and Eli start the rest of the season.

- Mara has seen OBJ (along with previous examples) create a Jets-like “circus environment” with his team. I just can’t see them taking Rosen, or anyone but Darnold this year. I may be proven wrong. I think they’ll activey shop the pick though.

They hired Gettleman because he agrees with ownership who believe the team is a better coach and oline away from another super bowl.

If they wanted a complete rebuild from scratch I think they would have hired someone else as gm. Gettleman is here for 4 or 5 years, to bring another Eli-super bowl and then leave them with his handpicked replacement and qb of the future at that point. 

I think you’re wildly overstating Rosen’s supposed off-field issues as it relates to what the Giants might find off-putting about a prospect. They’ve historically had very troubled, very outspoken, and very high maintenance players. They don’t take as much heat for it because they win a ring every five years. I will agree that Gettleman is the x-factor here, but only because he doesn’t seem to place a higher value on skill position players. His trademark, however, has been ruthlessly cutting beloved veteran players like Steve Smith and Josh Norman. I don’t think he’d be afraid of benching Eli. The fans know Eli sucks; they were pissed he was being benched for Geno Smith.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think you’re wildly overstating Rosen’s supposed off-field issues as it relates to what the Giants might find off-putting about a prospect. They’ve historically had very troubled, very outspoken, and very high maintenance players. They don’t take as much heat for it because they win a ring every five years. I will agree that Gettleman is the x-factor here, but only because he doesn’t seem to place a higher value on skill position players. His trademark, however, has been ruthlessly cutting beloved veteran players like Steve Smith and Josh Norman. I don’t think he’d be afraid of benching Eli. The fans know Eli sucks; they were pissed he was being benched for Geno Smith.

Desperate optism that NYJ trades up with NYG could be tinting my vantage point. If Rosen was an Andrew Luck prospect I do not think NYG would care about his personality/opinions.

I don’t see anything wrong with Rosen off the field. But there is a question about his desire/passion/coachability. Things like that are big to an old school guy like Gettleman. Whereas, Darnold is all about the game.

That mindset + NYG denial that Eli is done and their roster is overrated makes me think they wouldn’t roll the dice on Rosen.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Be real now. You know they were pissed he was benched period.

29 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Because we need a franchise qb. If Mac thinks one of these 4 is the guy he should trade up to make sure we land him. You can spend 90mil in free agency but if you don't have a franchise qb you won't bring home a super bowl. My hope is that we trade up to #3 and Barkley and Nelson go 1-2

Who do you pick at three?

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Desperate optism that NYJ trades up with NYG could be tinting my vantage point. If Rosen was an Andrew Luck prospect I do not think NYG would care about his personality/opinions.

I don’t see anything wrong with Rosen off the field. But there is a question about his desire/passion/coachability. Things like that are big to an old school guy like Gettleman. Whereas, Darnold is all about the game.

That mindset + NYG denial that Eli is done and their roster is overrated makes me think they wouldn’t roll the dice on Rosen.

Yeah, we’ll see. It’s just extremely difficult to see a new regime passing on the chance to take a top QB when they have the #2 pick. You know what nobody mentions about Eli? His contract is up after next season (2019). Are the Giants really going to give him Drew Brees money in two years even if he’s effectively playing like Vinny Testaverde?  

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Unpopular opinion: the Jets have a very expensive secondary wherein none of the players in that secondary have ever made the Pro Bowl and in which none are Pro Bowl caliber players. Dudes are a little out over their skis right now. 

May be unpopular but its the truth though you've got to admit that Adams at the very least has a hall of fame mouth.

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I wonder why an NFL owner would say "they are not opposed to signing" Kap. Hmmmmmmm

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

They were pissed about the douche coach ending the starting streak for Geno, which Francesa turned into a How-dare-you-disrespect-Eli campaign. Eli was averaging 6 YPA on a team averaging 15 ppg. Giants fans got their wish: the coach is gone. It’ll be a little different transitioning from Eli to Rosen at the start of a regime than it was going from Eli to Geno at the tail end of a dumpster fire.

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

So assuming Darnold and rosen go 1-2, you stay put at 6 and get whoevers ever left right?

Nope Im still going up. Buffalo could trade to 3 take Allen and Mayfield could easily go to Denver. Especially with Keenum only on a 2 year deal.  I want Darnold or Rosen but would also be fine with Mayfield. We can't leave this draft without one of the 3

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yes they were mad Eli was benched but I think Giants fans would have understood if it was Webb. Breaking the streak for Geno Smith is what made people lose their minds.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

They were pissed about the douche coach ending the starting streak for Geno, which Francesa turned into a How-dare-you-disrespect-Eli campaign. Eli was averaging 6 YPA on a team averaging 15 ppg. Giants fans got their wish: the coach is gone. It’ll be a little different transitioning from Eli to Rosen at the start of a regime than it was going from Eli to Geno at the tail end of a dumpster fire.

They aren’t picking Rosen. They aren’t picking a QB in the first round. Gettleman legitimately said he won’t ever go QB that high without the player being a HOF type of QB. He has holes to fix on a win now squad and hasn’t done a good enough job in FA doing so. So either he just sat on his hands or he knew he wanted to be aggressive in doing so during the draft.

Archived