FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This would most likely take GB out of the running for Badger. Maybe he told them his choice already and they moved quickly. Could see a decision on him soon.

and put Bears in on Badger.....

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Or. Could be releasing mclendon whos older and pennel taking his job

maybe but they don't need the cap space and Bowles made a point a few times to praise McLendon's play & leadership

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not leaving that on the board to take a guard. No sir.

maybe..We'll see

Gettleman wants to fix offensive line: 'I believe in the hog mollies'

"We've got to fix the offensive line, let's not kid each other," he said.

By Ralph Vacchiano | Dec 29, 2017 |

How Gettleman’s ‘hog mollies’ form core of Panthers’ Super Bowl team

By GREG A. BEDARD 

February 03, 2016

SAN FRANCISCO — When the stubby guy with a wicked bad Boston accent uttered the phrase entering his first draft as general manager of the Panthers in 2013, fans must have thought Carolina made a mistake hiring that Yankee.

“Big men allow you to compete,” Dave Gettleman said. “We're certainly going to look at the big hog mollies.”

Big hog mollies?

Gettleman, who had been grinding nearly 30 years as a scout, must have spent one too many nights in the film room.

“Yeah, people thought I was crazy,” Gettleman said now.

It turns out, a big hog molly is a term that helped explain Gettleman’s philosophy for building a football team: from the inside out.

Gettleman first heard the term “hog molly” from longtime scout George Sengal when he was in his early days working with the Bills. It’s another name for the Northern Hogsucker fish, which is very strong for its size (usually about two pounds) because it spends its life fighting against heavy currents in fast-moving streams. And it’s ugly. But for Gettleman, a hog molly represents a strong, big-bodied player who knows how to fight in the trenches.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/03/super-bowl-50-carolina-panthers-dave-gettleman

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

maybe..We'll see

Gettleman wants to fix offensive line: 'I believe in the hog mollies'

"We've got to fix the offensive line, let's not kid each other," he said.

By Ralph Vacchiano | Dec 29, 2017 |

The only spot they haven’t improved this offseason is RG. They signed Solder and Omameh, then re-upped their C, and moved Flowers to RT. Spending the two on an RG now would be nuuuuuuuuts.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Keep saying that. You are going to be surprised when he is a Jet and then we can both simultaneously cream our pants.

While that sounds exceedingly pleasant...

91E3B283-AFAD-4AC3-94E1-E99C2804A005.jpeg

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The only spot they haven’t improved this offseason is RG. They signed Solder and Omameh, then re-upped their C, and moved Flowers to RT. Spending the two on an RG now would be nuuuuuuuuts.

^ why does he look like Adams with crazy hair.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Even the Giants might not be completely sure about what to do with him. He was signed to a three-year/$15 million deal, but just $5.5 of that is guaranteed — $4.5 million of which is a signing bonus. He’ll count for just $2.5 million against the cap in 2018, which isn’t exactly starter money before that number gets bumped up to $6.25 million for each of the following two seasons. If he plays well, the contract is already set up to reward him. But if Omameh doesn’t take over the starter role, the Giants could move on after 2018 and free up $3.15 million on the 2019 cap.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Even the Giants might not be completely sure about what to do with him. He was signed to a three-year/$15 million deal, but just $5.5 of that is guaranteed — $4.5 million of which is a signing bonus. He’ll count for just $2.5 million against the cap in 2018, which isn’t exactly starter money before that number gets bumped up to $6.25 million for each of the following two seasons. If he plays well, the contract is already set up to reward him. But if Omameh doesn’t take over the starter role, the Giants could move on after 2018 and free up $3.15 million on the 2019 cap.

Agreed. They definitely panicked when Norwell bailed. Still, hard to imagine they’d pass if Rosen is there. Crazier things have happened, as we know 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

They cloned Todd Bowles in the late 80’s and now there’s an entire legion of athletically limited but enthusiastic safeties coming of age

Todd Bowles the coach must of been a throw away clone then. I have never seen an enthusiastic look on his face in my life. He probably climaxes with a straight face too.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Agreed. They definitely panicked when Norwell bailed. Still, hard to imagine they’d pass if Rosen is there. Crazier things have happened, as we know 

Agree...JMO it depends what their plan is for Eli...If their plan is to move on from Eli at the end of this season I could see them taking Rosen. But if they think Eli has another 2-3 yrs / cap hit is too much, I can't see them putting Rosen on the bench 2 yrs..He's too close to being ready to play. Allen I could see needing the time..Who knows

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

As odd as it sounds the Giants trading out of 2 and the Bills giving up everything might be the best option for us. Makes the 3rd pick between the Jets and Broncos. Or the Jets and Broncos can sit pat and take the next 2 QBs. 

Browns - Darnold

Bills - Allen

Colts - Chubb

Browns - Barkley

Broncos - Mayfield/Rosen

Jets - Mayfield/Rosen

this would be my ideal scenario because I think the Colts want Chubb and the Browns want Barkley. I would bet the price to move to 3 or 4 would be a 2nd round pick because the Broncos and Jets may be fine with either of those 2 options. I don't foresee another team jumping us.

I agree with you, that would be an ideal scenario, but there are 2 teams out there who may try to move up ahead of the Jets.  Phins and Cards are looking for QB’s and don’t underestimate Tannenbaum’s aggressiveness to make a splash.

The key to the draft will be what the Giants do.  Darnold will go #1, if the Giants go Barkley, that’s good for us, but if they take Rosen which is a strong possibility, then we have to move up to #3 to get Mayfield cuz he won’t make it to #6.  Now, if the Bills trade up to #2 like you stated for Allen, then I like our chances at #6.  But beware of Tannenbaum

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-free-agency/0ap3000000921822/Rapoport-Bengals-sign-LB-Preston-Brown-with-Vontaze-Burfict-s-looming-suspension

I don’t know how to post video, but that’s Kim Jones interviewing Gettleman today. She asks him, cleverly, if they have to draft a player at 2 who can help the time right away. Gettleman ducks, naturally, but doesn’t exactly jump on the grenade for Eli. Also has interesting comments about Solder, in that he recalls his original impressions of him from college. Oooooold school scout. Kim Jones is low-key extremely good at her job, btw

24 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Todd Bowles the coach must of been a throw away clone then. I have never seen an enthusiastic look on his face in my life. He probably climaxes with a straight face too.

Todd Bowles was extremely flamboyant in the 80s. Check out this video for yourself.

24 minutes ago, TopCop said:

I agree with you, that would be an ideal scenario, but there are 2 teams out there who may try to move up ahead of the Jets.  Phins and Cards are looking for QB’s and don’t underestimate Tannenbaum’s aggressiveness to make a splash.

The key to the draft will be what the Giants do.  Darnold will go #1, if the Giants go Barkley, that’s good for us, but if they take Rosen which is a strong possibility, then we have to move up to #3 to get Mayfield cuz he won’t make it to #6.  Now, if the Bills trade up to #2 like you stated for Allen, then I like our chances at #6.  But beware of Tannenbaum

I think after restructuring Tannehill they are going to stay with him. I also think the Colts/Browns are looking to add elite talent and would prefer to trade with the Jets or Broncos. The only team that scares me is Buffalo because of the sheer amount of picks they have.

I think nothing happens until the Giants make their pick or trade out. I don't think the 2nd pick is really in play for the Jets. If the Giants make their selection at 2 then I hope we do whatever it takes to convince the Colts or Browns to swap picks. Only way I'm comfortable selecting behind Denver is if the Bills trade up to 2.

Archived