FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen are the guys you start right away and they are the only expections. You get one of them and you all of a sudden still have a job. They will all be gone by 6 .. plain and simple.

So McCown and Allen, whom some media members have said they would be okay with, including Mr. SOJ Joe Beningo himself, would not be good for you

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Do you, and I assume multiple posters here from the general attitude on player salaries, actually believe this is how ticket prices work? 

Yes, spend a sh*t ton of cap space go 9-7, and increase ticket prices in the sections you didn’t lower during this past offseason, that is exactly how it works.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Then he's fired either way.

@Patriot Killa said that the goal is to find a franchise QB.  Allen isn't one, and if he waits for a 2nd round or later QB, there's almost zero chance that Macc survives long enough to find out whether or not they are.  They are developmental guys.  If Macc goes so does Bowles and the entire coaching staff too, so the chances of those guys getting legitimate development are slim to none, as a new regime will swoop right in and replace them with their own guys.

Maccagnan backed himself into this corner when he failed to trade up for Wentz, passed on Deshaun Watson last year, all in favor of Christian Hackenberg in the second round; the player that can't get on the field after 2 seasons.  

Exactly.  New gms who inherit teams without a good qb do not wait 4 years to make their move.  All the jets cap space can't save them.  So one of two things happen.  Either mccagnan trades away the picks in this draft and next year's draft that he should have already used for a qb, or he tries to sell the fan base on bridgewater and falk.  

I wonder if he gets fired after the draft if he does not have a top qb prospect.  

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

He did but I really can't blame him for either because trades are fickle and the draftniks didn;t have Watson going top ten.

Knowing that what separated us from getting Wentz was Macc playing hardball with a 3rd rounder, I will absolutely blame him for that.

Watson?  I've eaten my crow over that.  I didn't think he was worth a top 15 pick.  However, I am nothing more than a fan.  The fact of the matter is that Maccagnan is a GM, and it's his job to be right about guys, not mine.  It also doesn't get discussed enough that Houston offered us a bigger deal than the one they ultimately made to trade up to 6 for Deshaun, and Macc turned it down because he valued Jamal Adams way too high.  I've made it known that I love Adams, but I would much rather have that trade and the 4th and 6th overall picks right about now.

Just now, Mogglez said:

Knowing that what separated us from getting Wentz was Macc playing hardball with a 3rd rounder, I will absolutely blame him for that.

Watson?  I've eaten my crow over that.  I didn't think he was worth a top 15 pick.  However, I am nothing more than a fan.  The fact of the matter is that Maccagnan is a GM, and it's his job to be right about guys, not mine.  It also doesn't get discussed enough that Houston offered us a bigger deal than the one they ultimately made to trade up to 6 for Deshaun, and Macc turned it down because he valued Jamal Adams way too high.  I've made it known that I love Adams, but I would much rather have that trade and the 4th and 6th overall picks right about now.

These two items are nothing more than conjecture to me, no matter how good your sources are. 

Nothing connected with trade terms is to be believed IMO. In any sport. Because they could just be leaked by one side to make the other look bad. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So McCown and Allen, whom some media members have said they would be okay with, including Mr. SOJ Joe Beningo himself, would not be good for you

No, it wouldn't.  I would continue going on with my belief that most guys in the media are absolute idiots (being light and politically correct with my word choice there).

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Exactly.  New gms who inherit teams without a good qb do not wait 4 years to make their move.  All the jets cap space can't save them.  So one of two things happen.  Either mccagnan trades away the picks in this draft and next year's draft that he should have already used for a qb, or he tries to sell the fan base on bridgewater and falk.  

I wonder if he gets fired after the draft if he does not have a top qb prospect.  

I partially blame Woody for this though for instilling a competitive rebuild.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yes, spend a sh*t ton of cap space go 9-7, and increase ticket prices in the sections you didn’t lower during this past offseason, that is exactly how it works.

No, no it's not at all how it works. This is another basic economic concept - supply and demand - a smart HS freshman to walk us through. I've already seen some struggle with the time value of money earlier this offseason when the Broncos were totally definitely the Cousins favorites.

Sports fans and the serf mentality.....I'll never get it.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Nope. Sure would not. Media members? Mehta is what you call a “media member” ... are we really going to use them as sources of intelligent opinions? 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen are the guys you start right away and they are the only expections. You get one of them and you all of a sudden still have a job. They will all be gone by 6 .. plain and simple.

How can anyone think Mayfield could ever start right away, in what planet do you live on?  Oh look he moved the backend of a defense a few times while he had 45 seconds to wait for his WR to get open, Plant flagging, and crouch grabbing aren’t traits needed to start day 1.  He played in the most basic offenses in football history let’s get real, and he doesn’t have any elite skill set to overcome his lack of experience, last season a guy twice as talented was persecuted for the same things, and rightfully so, and he went 10th overall, now everyone is panic mode, and is willing to take this overrated douche top 5 because they ****ed up under estimating 2 very superior talents last season for in our case an in the box Safety?  Any scenario where the Jets draft Baker Mayfield should be automatic firing for the whole management group down after passing on 2 guys far superior to him, but now we’re panicking.  Only thing that saves face for Macc is Darnold, or Rosen, and he should stop at nothing to get one of the two.

15 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

These two items are nothing more than conjecture to me, no matter how good your sources are. 

Nothing connected with trade terms is to be believed IMO. In any sport. Because they could just be leaked by one side to make the other look bad. 

That's fine.  I believe that my track record speaks for itself.  If you wanna ignore that because you don't like what you're hearing, well then I can't make you believe what you don't want to believe.  The Houston details came from Houston themselves in the media (which you love so much).  Rick Smith actually mentioned our names in the presser following the draft.  We had nothing to do with the deal.  Why would he mention us at all unless it was what actually went down.

As far as my story goes on the Wentz trade that fell through, my source comes right from the Jets and makes themselves look bad.  Nobody else.  I don't have anything to gain by throwing it out there, and my buddy doesn't have anything to gain by telling me about it other than keeping me in the loop with whatever information he could divulge to me without getting into any trouble, like I requested.  I don't honestly enjoy "grandstanding" here, but I'm not gonna get treated like Manish Mehta and be told that I might have an agenda to push so my information is nothing more than conjecture because you don't like the truth regarding your favorite football team.  I'm a Jets fan.  I don't like hearing this sh*t as much as anyone else.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I just cried ???? A LOT!

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

How can anyone think Mayfield could ever start right away, in what planet do you live on?  Oh look he moved the backend of a defense a few times while he had 45 seconds to wait for his WR to get open, Plant flagging, and crouch grabbing aren’t traits needed to start day 1.  He played in the most basic offenses in football history let’s get real, and he doesn’t have any elite skill set to overcome his lack of experience, last season a guy twice as talented was persecuted for the same things, and rightfully so, and he went 10th overall, now everyone is panic mode, and is willing to take this overrated douche top 5 because they ****ed up under estimating 2 very superior talents last season for in our case an in the box Safety?  Any scenario where the Jets draft Baker Mayfield should be automatic firing for the whole management group down after passing on 2 guys far superior to him, but now we’re panicking.  Only thing that saves face for Macc is Darnold, or Rosen, and he should stop at nothing to get one of the two.

But Lamar Jackson is the new Randall Cunningham right? What planet do you live on is the question? LOL. I agree that Macc should stop at nothing to get a top guy. Mayfield is a top guy. He will be far better than Lamar Jackson.

Just now, Mogglez said:

That's fine.  I believe that my track record speaks for itself.  If you wanna ignore that because you don't like what you're hearing, well then I can't make you believe what you don't want to believe.  The Houston details came from Houston themselves in the media (which you love so much).  Rick Smith actually mentioned our names in the presser following the draft.  We had nothing to do with the deal.  Why would he mention us at all unless it was what actually went down.

As far as my source goes on the  Wentz trade that fell through, my source comes right from the Jets and makes themselves look bad.  I don't have anything to gain by throwing it out there, and my buddy doesn't have anything to gain by telling me about it other than keeping me in the loop like I requested. 

Coming from Houston is a red flag. they might be trying to make themselves look good by giving out false impressions. Happens a lot in baseball as well.

AS for the third round pick, I would like to know the details closely. Was this after Fitzpatrick's big year?

One team has been reported to have Lamar Jackson as the #2 QB on their board.  If that team is the Browns, and they take Saquon #1 overall, they should be fairly confident that their #1 or #2 QB will be on the board  at 4. 

Finding an athletic, strong-armed bridge QB to build the offense around, and model NFL quarterbacking...like Tyrod Taylor, makes tremendous sense if that’s the case. 

Coming from Houston is a red flag. they might be trying to make themselves look good by giving out false impressions. Happens a lot in baseball as well.

AS for the third round pick, I would like to know the details closely. Was this after Fitzpatrick's big year?

So why not use another team higher than 6?  If that's the motive, shoot for the moon and say you wanted to trade with Cleveland for #1, but they wouldn't budge, but you were still able to get this incredible talent later on for much less.  Name dropping us makes zero sense considering how far out of left field it was.

Yes it was right after Fitzpatricks big year.

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Agree with all of this, but just saying that I doubt this part.  For better or worse he'll see this year to the end.

Just now, Mogglez said:

So why not use another team higher than 6?  If that's the motive, shoot for the moon and say you wanted to trade with Cleveland for #1, but they wouldn't budge, but you were still able to get this incredible talent later on for much less.  Name dropping us makes zero sense considering how far out of left field it was.

Yes it was right after Fitzpatricks big year.

Wait a minute, why would we want to trade down in the first place? How much was being offered?

Okay it was after Fitz's big year. So they were drafting 16 or 17. And they were trying to move up to 1? Interesting.... And they end up resigning Fitz after that? Something does feel right with that

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I don't think I'll ever get over Wentz not being ours over a 3rd rounder. Ever.

So say the Giants fall in love with Nelson would they ever think of trading with the Jets you think, or is that just didn’t bother calling because they aren’t gonna be remotely realistic because they have zero intentions of actually trading with you?

Also are the Jets willing to do whatever it takes to get to 1 IF the Browns seriously listen?  And IF Barkley happens to be one of the top 2 picks are the willing to do whatever it takes to get to 3 if Browns are adamantly not moving from #1?

I truly believe it’s Darnold, or Rosen, or show him the door once both are off the board, and before we even select our own picks.

See the problem is that all of us don.t even know who's good and who isn't. Somebody's going to be unhappy no matter what happens. 

Not only does the media not know. We don't know.

This has been a 2 QB draft for 16 months, nothing has changed except the media creating stories to generate clicks, and the NFL selling their off-season product.  Nothing has changed Darnold Rosen, Rosen Darnold, everyone is assuming the Browns are gonna do the smart thing for once and take Darnold. and there are 2 other teams currently jockeying for position to get in play to get Rosen with the Jets, and Broncos.  Again the rest is just selling fans on the off-season.

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Agree with all of this, but just saying that I doubt this part.  For better or worse he'll see this year to the end.

If he doesn't manage to get a qb this year with cousins and all of these draft prospects, what is there to wait around for?  The team would still have no hope and nobody is going to see this team if the draft a cb in the first round, a rb and an olb in the 2nd and a crappy wr in the 3rd.  The johnsons want to fill the stands, they should be telling mccagnan to get a qb at all costs.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

This has been a 2 QB draft for 16 months, nothing has changed except the media creating stories to generate clicks, and the NFL selling their off-season product.  Nothing has changed Darnold Rosen, Rosen Darnold, everyone is assuming the Browns are gonna do the smart thing for once and take Darnold. and there are 2 other teams currently jockeying for position to get in play to get Rosen with the Jets, and Broncos.  Again the rest is just selling fans on the off-season.

That is your opinion. It is not shared with everybody here. There is no unity. Which means somebody will be unhappy?

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Wait a minute, why would we want to trade down in the first place? How much was being offered?

Okay it was after Fitz's big year. So they were drafting 16 or 17. And they were trying to move up to 1? Interesting.... And they end up resigning Fitz after that? Something does feel right with that

Because last year being at pick number 6 left us in kind of a no man's land?  A package similar if not better than the one that was ultimately made.

I don't know why it doesn't make sense to you.  We were smitten with Wentz 2 years before he came out.  He was a young QB that all the potential in the world to be a franchise QB and the team, at the time, was very far apart in negotiations with Fitzpatrick.  Why would it be shocking to you that they tried to potentially get younger and better at the QB position before they caved in to re-signing a weak armed, 30 something year old, Journeyman QB, to a contract that he would almost definitely not earn (sounds almost exactly like what we're doing now, doesn't it)?  They failed to make a deal, and moved on to plan B: draft a kid in the 2nd or below and try to get Fitzpatrick back at a reasonable cost for another potential playoff run.  That literally makes perfect sense.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Because last year being at pick number 6 left us in kind of a no man's land?

They failed to make a deal, and moved on to plan B, draft a kid in the 2nd or below and try to get Fitzpatrick back at a reasonable cost for another potential playoff run.  That literally makes perfect sense.

Well that means they weren't smitten enough, were they? COuld the deal have changed at the last minute? WE don't know. These are the things that need to be known?

Archived