joewilly12

FREE AGENT NEWS

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

There’s a realistic chance Allen could be 2nd QB off the board after Darnold right now . 

Well the way the Jets luck has been running, he won’t be.

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

would you prefer Average or JAG? 

How about below average or scrub.  We are reduced to signing players who are just happy to be in the league.

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Nah, fam. Rosen. He’ll battle Bridgewater in the preseason and take the job from underneath both of them. 

I think this is what will happen. Also have to remember Josh Allen is coveted by every other team ahead of us and behind us. Think we’ll wind up dodging that bullet before it even comes outta the barrel.

I hope he is the target.  If we are able to move up, then having McCown and Bridgewater is redundant.

Darnold and Rosen would be better than any QB we have from day 1.

Signing both McCown and Teddy tell me that they are accepting the fact that we will either end up with Josh Allen or no one.  Honestly, I’m not sure what’s worse.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

They cut the dead weight and we barely have money to spend last year. This was always going to be the year we could improve the roster. Last year was a see what players stick type of situation. 

$100M in cap space with at least two future stars at QB, and our offense will be McCown and Teddy Bridgewater handing the ball off to Crowell on 1st and 2nd down followed by a 6 yard incompletion to Kearse on 3rd and 8.

Sorry, my expectations were Josh Rosen and Allen Robinson bringing back the Jets offense of the 1980’s.  If not in 2018, soon after.

So yeah, a lot of us are going to be incredible disappointed.  Again.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think Teddy was just precautionary measures given the amount of money dedicated on the one year deal.

To be honest, that signing was made to appease a fan base that went into the day with the expectation of having a competent offense.  After being denied Cousins, Robinson, and Norwell, the FO made that move without regard to if the guy can play.  

It doesn’t answer any questions or solve anything right now.  But it can occupy a rabid fan base that can go back and look at 2014 film and think maybe he’s a lot better now.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

AMock must of misquoted her because she tweeted him to the Browns.

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

going to have to draft those at this point, starting with a quarterback.  that's why not trading up and getting a qb is very appealing, keeping those 2nd rounders.

The question is, do you get the guy you want at 6 or just the guy everyone else didn’t like.

So if you like one or two guys better than the other two, do you risk Den, or worse, the Dolphins or Bills jumping up to get them?

53 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

my hunch based on no inside info unlike mogglez, is that mccags would trade up for darnold or rosen if either made it to 3.  this probably means buffalo traded up for allen or cleveland took him.  but if darnold/rosen go 1/2, i'm not sure mccagnan would want to burn all those extra picks for allen or mayfield.  i could be wrong, he could be playing coy and then goes for broke b/c his job is on the line.  

i will say that he could draft allen and sit him all year with mccown and teddy, though.  it would be a full waste of a draft pick in 2018, though, and i don't know if his rep. could withstand this.  his mantra seems to be, draft guys in the first round who have low bust potential and can contribute right away, and rosen and darnold fit that mold way more than allen.  

as for mayfield, i can see them drafting him at 6 but i can't see mccagnan giving up the farm to move to 3.

I tend to agree that we really shouldn’t trade up for anyone other than Darnold or Rosen. I highly doubt Buffalo is taking Allen.  They have zero at QB right now and trading a ton of their picks for a guy that won’t be ready to start for at least a season or two, won’t help them.  They are trading up for Rosen or Darnold.  Both Buf and the NYJ are probably targeting Indy if the NYG pass on a QB or if Cle does something bizarre at #1.

If so, Indy is going collect a huge ransom for that pick.  Let’s hope they really want Chubb.  But since they haven’t signed a single player yet, they may need all the picks they can get, making Buf the better move.

43 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Think WR and OL are seriously more pressing priorities and it's not close. Not sure what they expect any QB or RB to do with this awfulness. Once again, the defense will be ineffective and on the field all day, in large part because the offense is from hunger. Management has spent time and bandwidth selling the idea McCown resigning is some wonderful thing.Its' not; he's an old guy looking for some big payday on the way out. May be he doesn't care the offense right now is not building anything long term.  Heck, in the run/run/3rd and 8 heave offense, as long as the check clears and you can dump it off on 3rd before you get crushed, it's a good gig for an old guy. Same sheet, different season. 

Well there is really nothing Macc can do to lure offensive players here when our coaching philosophy is to not throw the hall too much based on the firing of our previous OC.

No WR wants to come here and get 5 targets a game.  No RB wants to come here and face 8 and 9 man fronts.  No OL wants to play for an offense that is going to punt 7 times a game.  

This point was made by Cousins, Robinson, Norwell, and McKinnon.  We were in on all four and signed none.

So Macc has no choice but to solidify our defense and then spend the entire draft on offense.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if darnold/rosen go 1/2, then the bills may well be very aggressive in trading with indy.  i'll assume allen is the target.  so then the jets would have to convince the browns that they'd still get barkley at 6, or else cleveland takes barkley and the broncos have a layup to mayfield if they want it.

In this worst case scenario, we would then end up with our pass rusher, Bradley Chubb.  I know it’s not a QB and it’s another first round pick on a defender, but that would be the right move.

I think we sit tight if the draft goes Darnold and then Rosen.  Let Buffalo blow their load of picks to get Allen.  What offensive genius do they have that’s going to be able to make Allen not the QB he was for the last two years at WY?

So at 4, Cleveland has a choice of Barkley, Fitzpatrick, Chubb, or Mayfield.  At this point, we have 2 teams in front of us with 3 home run prospects left.

If something weird happens where Cleveland takes Allen or either Cle or the NYGs take Barkley, then we match or beat whatever Buffalo offers to get Darnold or Rosen.

Scenario 1, adding the pass rusher completes our defense.  Sure we need to add depth to the DL, but with a secondary that could still include Mathieu, the D has potential to be the best in the league.

Scenario 2: we get Rosen or Darnold.

Eithwr way, make sure we get Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Barkley, or Chubb at 6.  Not certain, but the odds are pretty good.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

WELP. We're taking Lamar Jackson at 6 then. 

If it goes

Browns - Darnold

Giants - Rosen

Colts - trade to Bills - Allen

Browns - Chubb/Barkley

Broncos - Mayfield

Jets - JACKSONNNN

If this were to play out, we would take Chubb or Barkley.  Maybe try to move back into the 1st for Jackson but we are never going to take him at 6.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Giants are taking a QB.  I have no problem if Buffalo moves to 2 - that means the Giants are out of the QB race and the competition to trade up becomes MUCH less...Jets could get away much cheaper moving to 3.

If the Giants are trading out of 2, it needs to be with us.  We cannot let Buffalo get Josh Rosen.  Having them trade to 3 for Allen would be pretty great.  Our secondary could lead the NFL in interceptions because we would play him twice a year.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

that would be some draft, taking chubb at 6, then watching reporters say the jets are looking to trade back into the first to get jackson.  i still don't know what he'll do in the pros once he's forced to become mostly a pocket passer.

I agree with you.  But what we have done to our defense with the possibilities of adding Mathieu and Chubbs would be ridiculous.  We wouldn’t be asking whoever played QB for us to throw it more than 20 times.  That could play into Jackson’s strengths.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the jets can't or won't trade up, it could end up that darnold/rosen/allen go 1-3, cleveland gets barkley, and we're all sitting there wondering what the broncos are going to do.  that would be awful.

Not really, we would be getting Mayfield or Chubb. Sign me up for either.

Two things to make this draft good for the Jets:

Get Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Chubb, or Barkley and make sure Buffalo doesn’t get Rosen.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I like the part where you assume the Giants would ever trade with us and give us the chance at a franchise QB so they can watch his success in the local papers for the next decade. 

It's not happening. 

I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t trade with anyone.  But if they were open to moving down, we match whatever Buffalo is giving that way the Giants still walk away with Barkley, Nelson, or Chubb.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

picking chubb would NOT go over well in this market.  mccagnan's competency would really be questioned.  you'd hear reports that the johnsons are livid.  

The fans can moan and groan until the Jets start winning games by being defensively dominant.  

I was one of the many that complained last year.  Once we started winning games, there weren’t as many people complaining.  

Yes, we need to focus on the offensive side of the ball.  But taking the head and shoulders best pass rusher would be completely acceptable.  

So in one offseason, we would have been able to set the D up with our #1 CB, def playmaker (if we can get Mathieu) and our pass rusher.

We wouldn’t have had to give up anything from next year’s draft so we could then focus on a complete OL rebuild and adding skill players.

Chubb and Jackson would be so much better than trading a ton of picks and getting Allen.  Probably Mayfield too.

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

but at some point you need your qb to win games with his arm.  i don't want another game manager with limitations and i doubt mccagnan does either.

Look at the NFC championship game.  Keenum vs Foles.  With the top defense in the league with Jackson’s running game, we would be very similar to Jax.  But with a more dynamic playmaker at QB.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm sorry but I've given up on the idea of choosing which one of the 4.  I just want one of them.  And frankly don't care who the Bills get either - Just let the Jets get one of the 4.   The Giants trading out 2 with Buffalo is helpful to us (as someone else stated, Giants will not trade with us - so just let Buffalo get there)

Once Buffalo is gone there really isn't a team to worry about jumping us.  

Getting 1 of the 4 would be fine if all four were equally projected to be stars.  I think most teams would consider Darnold and Rosen to be better prospects than Allen and Mayfield.  

Buffalo getting someone like Rosen to be the face of the franchise while we sit Allen for two years while he figures out how to complete 10 yard passes would be an absolute disaster.

Allen would have been a HOF if he played in the 1960s.  It’s a different game and accuracy is everything.  I think if we have to take a QB with questionable accuracy, I would rather have Jackson’s athletic ability much lower than 6 than Allen’s at 6.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

THIS is the year to fix the offense, with a top 6 pick in round 1 and 2 good 2nd rounders and a high 3rd rounder.  this franchise can't keep deferring offense until the universe is aligned and the qb falls to us.

Agreed.  But if your choices at 6 are Chubb or Nelson, how the hell do you take a guard over a pass rusher.  If the QBs go in front us because Buffalo was willing to give up 150% of the draft value chart, there are no other offensive players rated anywhere near as high as Chubb.

The ONLY problem I can envision is if the draft goes like Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Barkley, Chubb..

Then the three highest rated players are Allen (major project,) Minkah Fitzpatrick and Denzel Ward (neither positions of need,) or Nelson.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm just not sure that's the case - not at all.  There are many that believe Allen will be the first QB drafted and most others believe if he's not the first he'll be the second. 

There are more mock drafts that I've seen that have Rosen falling to us than Allen.  I haven't seen one with Allen in fact (some Mayfield)

Two years ago, there were plenty of mocks that had Carson Wentz falling to the Jets at 20.  Right now teams are not showing their hands.  Could Cleveland actually take Barkley or Allen, sure but it would be an incredible shock.  And two years later it would prove to be an incredible error.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You take Allen.  It's why you have two veteran QB's on the roster.

The minute Allen gets to camp and is rifling 4 yard darts so hard our WRs can’t get to them or catch them, Macc is getting fired.  Not solely on taking Allen.  But coupled with the Hack pick plus it’s obvious that Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield are all more NFL ready than Allen.  Macc and the Jets don’t have three years for Allen to “figure it out.”

26 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly, if Mac trades up it better be from 6 and not from the second round.  If you’re giving up picks,  give them up for a premium pick.  Otherwise just take Jackson at 6 and keep the rest of your draft intact.  

What if the price to move up to 3 was our 1st, both 2nds, our third, and a 2nd or 3rd next year?  If you think Darnold or Rosen are going to be elite NFL players, then sure.  What if they go 1-2.  Are you willing to give up our whole draft to take Mayfield or even worse, Josh Allen instead of just taking Chubb (if Mayfield is gone by 6) and taking Jackson or Lauletta in the second round?  Even if it cost us 2 of those next three picks of ours, it would be worth it.

Our defense with a vanilla offense should win enough games to contend for the playoffs.  Bring in Jackson in November/December.  No one would have any film on him and we could actually make a run, similar to SF a few years ago.

16 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Who do you think is worth trading up to?

I couldn't disagree more, with the moves we made in FA, Im good with taking who falls to us, because more than likely it will be at least two qbs to choose from. With all the question on all of them, it doesn't matter to me who.

But you must have a pick in mind

Darnold or Rosen only.  I’m not yet convinced that Mayfield is that much better a prospect than Chubb and Barkley.  Even if Mayfield turns out to be an average QB, is that worth missing out on a premium pass rusher?  I am certain a Allen is not.

If Macc is convinced Mayfield can learn and lead our offense to be a perennial playoff contender, than go for it.  But I’m think Bowles is not going to want Mayfield or Allen to be throwing very often.  Why would we give up so much to hand the ball off?

If the draft doesn’t go Darnold-Rosen, then we have to outbid the Bills and AZ for that third pick.  We also don’t want to give up next year’s #1 pick.  Trade value chart says the #3 pick is worth 2200 points.  I’m thinking 2800 points might do it.  Indy could add 1-6, 2-5, 2-17, 2019 #3.  That would be 2679 and they would still walk away with Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, or Minkah Fitzpatrick.  

To match that, the Bills would have to give up both of their firsts and both seconds.  And for that, Indy would miss out on the top prospects and would be looking at Calvin Ridley or Connor Williams type of prospect.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I am sorry.  I am just finding it really hard to believe that the Browns would take Rosen, and that Giants would pass on him.

The Giants, who have always looked for a drop back passer, in a region with more Jewish people than anywhere else in the world, whose co-owner is Jewish, whose GM is Jewish, whose QB is at the end of his career, is going to pass on a brilliiant Jewish QB with a challenging personality?  The Giants are going to pass on Rosen?  Are we nuts?  So the Jets can trade up to the Colts to get him?  So Eli and OBJ can try and reach the playoffs again after being the second worst team in the league last year?  So that Barkley can run behind a terrible OL?  I don't believe it.  I really don't.  The Giants are taking Rosen after the Browns take Darnold.  

Dorsey was interviewed in November (before he was the Cle GM) and said he was turned off by Rosen’s personality and there fore wouldn’t touch him.

Rosen’s upbringing and political philosophies are the exact opposite of Cleveland and their blue collar fans.  If they did take him, he would have to win almost immediately or they would hate him.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

They just botched on their effort to get Norwell. They settled for a new aging LT and still have plenty of holes to fill come April. Gettleman has said countless times(and I believe him) that he thinks Eli has 2-3 years left in him and it was the O-line and major WR injuries which resulted in their season. Giants can afford to take Falk in the 2nd round and trade down to fill holes in their O-line(a very heavy Guard/Center draft at that,perfect time) while still taking Nelson or someone impactful to help Eli right now. They aren’t getting a QB at 2 just to sit him. Gettleman comments were “you only take a QB at 2 if he is going to be a Hall of Famer” they aren’t convinced these QB’s will be that. The writing is on the wall.

Well if this is actually how they are thinking, then we make an offer to Indy that they can’t refuse.  That would be a tremendous coup for the Jets so I can’t imagine it even remotely possible at this point.  I would love to be surprised draft night.

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Guess it all depends on how strong the feels are for the various QBs. I do dispute we can contend for playoffs with current offense though. We have no one that commands a double team. That's a problem.

Agreed.  Hoping the new ZBS that Bates will use will improve our OL.  Then Josh just needs to play as well or better than last year, Powell and Crowell combine for 1250 yards, and Anderson behaves.

That way when McCown gets hurt in December, instead of Petty coming in and being Petty, we have Lamar Jackson with very fresh legs against tired and beat up defenses.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Chubb is better suited playing on the inside. He isn’t quick enough to bend the corner. His 3 cone drill and 40 were disgustingly bad.

He’s a 4-3 end.  If Bowles is such a genius, than figure out a way to make it work.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I hate to break this to you.....

Are you referring to Bowles playing a DT at OLB?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

If the Jets don't like the options at 6 and their favorite QBs are already gone then should they look to trade down, maybe even significantly, and get a team's 2019 1st rounder in order to load up for another run at a QB?

The Jets have traded down in the first round only twice since 1980.  It’s probably longer but I got lazy and didn’t think it necessary to keep going.

For what ever reason, we are not a team that moves down.  Maybe the philosophy is that we don’t have enough (or any stars) on this team so we stay or move up.  But the chance that we move down is probably remote at best.  

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

and put Bears in on Badger.....

This works in our favor.  GB has to reserve the funds in case Chicago declines to match. Chicago has already said they would match.  But if Chicago waits until the last day, that’s 5 days GB can’t make any offers with that $$.

So unless Mathieu wants to wait another week, both Chi and GB are out.

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Bears already matched per Rapoport

The #Bears are matching the #Packers’ offer sheet for CB Kyle Fuller, sources said. Fuller stays. It’s a 4-year deal worth $56M. The key number is $18M guaranteed. Fuller already had $13M guaranteed from the translation tag. For $5M more guaranteed, they get him long-term

It was put out on NFL TOTAL access that the Bears intended to match.  Not sure what the rush would be to get the paper work to the league office.  Make them squirm and tie up their cap dollars while the free agents go elsewhere.

I didn’t realize that they had officially matched yet.

51 minutes ago, KRL said:

Gaines would probably meet with our DB coach (Dennard Wilson) and Hurns would meet

with our WR coach (Dorrell)

Wasn’t Wilson Gaines position coach with the Rams?  Wilson was big in getting Trumaine Johnson’s here, hopefully he can lure Gaines as well.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

where is the visit?  Aren't Mac, Bates and everyone else on their way to Wyoming?  How does this work?  Hurns arrives but none of the F.O. are there?  

Hopefully the trip is to check out the facilities.  I’m sure Macc can skype to communicate with the agent.

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

That he said^ Plus Beachum and Shell probably fit the zone blocking scheme so much better given the finesse and athleticism. This should be a lot better of a unit.

Still have to replace Carpenter, who is not a fit for ZBS.

20 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah we do. Idk why we didn’t at the start of FA..guess there weren’t many options..with a lack of picks hard to see us get a good one now though.

If I remember when Shanahan was in Denver, they could find starters late in the draft.  Guys like Nelson are hard to find.  Maybe the ZBS uses technique over brute force.  

Maybe a guy like Braden Smith, a light guard (305) could be there at 72.  Who knows.  We also have August cuts.  Not sure if there will be anyone that fits our criteria or not (young and talented) but we’ll just have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company