FREE AGENT NEWS

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Seriously it went from

"It's a done deal. Cousins is planning no visits"

to

"Cousins is planning to have 1 or 2 visits"

to

"Minnesota is calling Drew Brees' agent"

this is minnesota negotiating the deal down while cousins pretending to consider the jets is driving it up.  that is all.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Well the Bills just acquired their final piece to land the QB they want they swapped Pick 21 for Pick 12 in return for Glenn.  So now it’s 12, and 21 for whoever is willing to trade back.

well pencil rosen in there.

Just now, nycdan said:

Damn, they are going hard at this.  Suddenly, they can offer more than the Jets.

at some point we will all realize that mccagnan is not trading up for anyone.  he will let the draft come to him.  this means we're getting either chubb or allen.

4 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Bills slowly creeping up in the 1st... I could see the Giants taking the Bills 2 firsts and a 2nd.

makes good sense for both teams.  and it would also encourage cleveland to take a qb first with trades looming.

darnold and rosen could easily be the first two guys off the board.  then that indy slot becomes the trade up spot for everyone else.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

This has been the case for 16 months!  It’s never changed regardless of what the media, and living room scouts want to tell you different, AND none of the other QB’s are worth jack sh*t NONE!  The Jets ****ed this up, and I hope the Giants **** it up also by trading back, I just wish it wasn’t with the Bills.

assuming cleveland ends up with barkley and indy stays in the top 5 and takes chubb, the jets can get one of the 4 qbs.  but it could be allen though.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

There is no top 4 QB’s there are 2 top QB’s what part of my post didn’t make that abundantly clear?

my point is, the jets can get allen or mayfield, one of the top 4.  but they're probably not sniffing darnold or rosen unless cleveland loves allen.

• Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Except Robinson and Eifert aren’t coming here unless Cousins is already signed and vise versa 

so...

So no offensive players are coming here because there's no good offensive players here.  Therefore we may as well draft more defensive players.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KRL said:

If we do sign Cousins to a three year deal people should realize that a contract

of that length would allow us to draft a QB at #6

it's absurd to think that's what mccagnan would do.

the best thing about signing cousins, would be that they wouldn't have to sacrifice picks to trade up.  it's mccags' dream scenario, letting the draft fall to him.  he may actually get chubb at 6 in that scenario.  or he would take a cb.  and then he'd maybe get around to addressing the offense at some point 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

See the problem once again is that Jets fans are trying to find ways to be unhappy. They continue the search. By putting conditions down on who they want when they really dont know 

the only good player we have on offense keeps getting arrested.  they haven't drafted offense in the first round this decade.  our coach and gm suck.  we don't need to fabricate unhappiness.

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Fans are just being slow to adjust to what the current landscape is. Many teams with lots of cap space means massive cap space isn't as big of a competitive advantage this offseason. A lot of guys are going to be getting "record deals" because the market is adjusting to progressive increases in cap and the long term ramifications of rookie wage scale. The premium guys are going to be tagged or resigned. You have a diluted FA pool and the top guys in the pool are going to sign high deals because of the limited supply. 

just like the true value of draft picks are different now then when the draft chart was created. A Top ten pick now is way more valuable now then When a top ten pick made a massive amount of money back then. 

having massive cap space is a polite way of saying you suck.  and mccagnan is quickly learning that sucking doesn't attract free agents when decent and good teams have enough money to pay them.

Just now, Sully80 said:

I just think signing a center was the bare minimum Mac had to do this offseason. I'm not aware of any other Olinemen that are worth a substantial amount of cap space other than Norwell who is already signed.

just upgrading any positions on offense.  there are 11 before subs.  it shouldn't be that hard.

Just now, Jets Voice of Reason said:

All signs point to us overpaying some mediocre talent. I really dislike that we weren't in on norwell like at all. 

and then we'll simply draft some mediocre talent.

Just now, nycdan said:

I never heard a whisper of the Jets being interested in Norwell.   

Which greatly concerns me.  Because sitting with an extra $14MM in unused cap room while Norwell is blasting open lanes for Fournette to run through is going to make me feel really good.   

mccags' theory is that you can find offensive linemen and rbs later in drafts.  so unless you're taking a wr or qb there's no reason to overdraft or overpay an offensive player.  let's remember this when they fail to sign cousins, draft chubb and then a cb in the 2nd round.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sully80 said:

Jets could still upgrade at every position on the offense I just don't think there is anybody left that would be a significant upgrade to the offense. Only guy that I've heard on the market that fits this bill is Bryant, there are no RBs, WRs, or OL playing pro bowl caliber football available on the trade or FA market left. 

which makes us wonder what mccagnan has been planning for the past few months.  he knew who would be available.  he could inquire about anyone to trade for.  he knows which qbs are in the draft.  

at this point unless he's got some deal up his sleeve where he uses cap space and gets creative to trade up to 2 or 3 i'm thinking his smug self will get schooled in FA again and his desperation may not even show up in the first round when he'd rather get blasted than trade multiple picks for a qb.

Just now, Mike135 said:

So has Mac done anything yet?

i think he's caught up on this thread this am.

• Haha 1

Just now, Sully80 said:

He'll go BPA and go Defense again.

if buffalo or someone else trades with indy, we get chubb and it's leonard williams de ja vu.  

Just now, Stark said:

and successful...

the only player worth watching on offense last year wasn't even drafted.  how sad is this?

Just now, nycdan said:

Understood.  And in general, if we weren't sitting on top of the list of most unused cap room I would likely agree.  But we need to deploy the salary cap in ways that maximize our on-field talent for the next few years.  Having one of the best 3 OGs in the game is good for our soon-to-be new QB, our soon-to-be new RB and the entire offense in general.  Having extra unused cap is not useful to anyone but the owner.  

Now if the draft were conducted auction style, I would be much happier :)

Someone please tell me that Macc knows that isn't how it works...

i agree.  i wish he would be proactive that way, realizing that if he has to trade up to get a qb he should have a support system in place with veteran offensive linemen, another vet wr and a TE who can catch.  

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

If 4 QBs go in the top 5, we're guaranteed 1 of Chubb/Barkley.  That said, I see us losing out on Cousins, and Macc will have to decide if he has what it takes to make the deal with the Giants.

if indy trades out of the top 5, we're getting chubb

if indy does not trade out of the top 5, we're getting either mayfield or allen, but if mccags won't take allen then i think he may look to trade back with a team like arizona to see if they're game for taking him.  if mccags is too much of a wimp to trade up, maybe he can get a #1 next year by trading back.  then the next gm can get us a qb.

Just now, bla bla bla said:

I feel like we have a deal in place with the Colts. I think Miami/Buffalo will only be able to get up to #5, just enough to make us trade up.

until buffalo offers a boatload of picks and mccagnan offers a 2nd and bilal powell.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I actually don't have a problem with anything that's happened today.  Outside of not improving the OL, maybe.

What's problematic is the same thing that's been problematic for a while.  The Jets are in an OK, but not strong position to draft a QB, and Cousins probably isn't coming here.

mccagnan never gives off the impression that there's a sense of urgency to what he's doing.  year 4, no real qb prospects, 'no problem', we're working on it.  

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

@AdamSchefter: Former Giants' C-G Weston Richburg intends to sign a 5-year deal with the SF 49ers when free agency opens, per source.

m.twitter.com/AdamSche...

I kept reading he was on the Jets radar.

mccagnan is getting mccanned.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

If Cousins doesn’t come here then Mac HAS to trade up.  He can not stay at 6 and assume he will get his guy.  Next years QB class is weak to say the least.  I can’t imagine that he would be “happy” with just any of the top 4 QB prospects, there has to be a guy they really like over the rest and he should do what it takes to draft him. 

mccags likes to 'inquire' but isn't a go for it guy.  that's fine if you have a qb.  he acts as if nothing is critical and that he can draft whomever he wants, stick some retread in as qb and it will all work itself out.

1 minute ago, Sully80 said:

We're lucky to be picking 6th, Jets didnt quit, Petty happened

if mccown didn't get hurt we'd be with buffalo and miami with zero shot at a qb and then FA would mean that much more.  which doesn't seem to matter b/c we don't seem to be in the running for anyone yet.

Just now, gEYno said:

Suck for Shea?

Collapse for Clayton?

i think the mantra is going to be something like, suck for harbaugh.

Just now, Dcat said:

tell us what the jets offered please.  Did they even give an offer?  

mccagnan 'inquired', he'll say.

Just now, Maxman said:

Well that is bad news because the 49ers will win that competition each time. Because they have a QB and ended on such a positive note.

and they care about offense like every other team in the league.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

and you can bet the farm that if the jets were the team to make him the highest paid G in NFL history, that half the board would be screaming how Mac isn't spending wisely.  Frankly, we don't even know if the Jets reached out to Norwell.  I think they should have and would be annoyed if not, but still...  we don't know sh!t.

it's better than paying a bunch of crappy guys just so you can justify drafting BAP b/c you convinced yourself you 'filled your needs' in FA

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

documentary shifts to the trials and tribulations of packing up and selling their house.

• Haha 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

At this point, I’d welcome some Russian meddling with the Jets.

some hookers would be an improvement over this.

• Like 1

Just now, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Realistically, this whole franchise is a big yawnfest until they sh*tcan mac and Bowles. But then again, ownership clearly has a vision of a defense first team with a run first offense. We've had that guy way too many times for it not to be the case. 

that's fine if they actually invested in an offensive line and rbs.  tanny did that right, they nearly got to the super bowl that way.  but they actually invested in the line.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MDL_JET said:

Well. It's been fun. 

the fun really gets going here when we draft a cornerback at 6.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company