FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Richard Sherman signs 3 yr deal with San Fran per Adam Shefte

$39mm

Remarkable. They hire Shanny and acquire Jimmy, and boom their rebuild is done in 1-year so now they can sign luxury veterans to put them in playoff hunt.

Meanwhile, Jets fans argue to other Jets fans that “real rebuilds” can’t take 1 year, and that Macc’s rebuild didn’t start until this year, so his other years werent real rebuild years.

Our fans can be beyond stupid at times. Enabling failure through coddled, low expectations.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Are we in legal Tampering mode yet or do the agents just not care about being caught anymore? 

I honestly believe it’s just writers knowing they can get clicks right now.  They can say anything and no one will hold them accountable. 

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Remarkable. They hire Shanny and acquire Jimmy, and boom their rebuild is done in 1-year so now they can sign luxury veterans to put them in playoff hunt.

Meanwhile, Jets fans argue to other Jets fans that “real rebuilds” can’t take 1 year, and that Macc’s rebuild didn’t start until this year, so his other years werent real rebuild years.

Our fans can be beyond stupid at times. Enabling failure through coddled, low expectations.

Um, Congrats to the Niners for winning the Super Bowl in March!

Do these March Super Bowls come with Rings or trophies? 

Will there be a parade? Will the Niners Parade come before or after the Rams and Browns Parades?

#SOJFs

57 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Um, Congrats to the Niners for winning the Super Bowl in March!

Do these March Super Bowls come with Rings or trophies? 

Will there be a parade? Will the Niners Parade come before or after the Rams and Browns Parades?

#SOJFs

Ceremonies commence immediately following Deshaun Watson's Canton enshrinement.  

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Are we in legal Tampering mode yet or do the agents just not care about being caught anymore? 

Sherman was released.  It's perfectly legal for him to negotiate and sign.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The ones who only want Darnold say the same thing about those that only want Rosen or Allen or Mayfield.

The ones who want Darnold and no one else are blinded to reality. He's Mark Sanchez all over again.

Hm...The 49ers signed have signed 7 game starter to a $140 million dollar deal and a 29 YO CB using their massive amounts of cap space, now they're on the path to being one of the 31 forever winners.

Meanwhile anyone who actually thinks and argues the Jets' rebuild can be finished this offseason doing more or less the same sh*t is the local wackjob. 

At least these three months of wallowing in Jets misery is based on a straight and easy to follow narrative where everything and everyone is held to same standard. Money doesn't matter!

Jets GM: We will be active on 1st day of NFL free agency

March 10, 2018 | 10:48pm

A year ago, the Jets were in the midst of a roster tear-down. Now, they are ready for the rebuild.

When free agency opens this week, the Jets are expected to be one of the most active teams in the NFL. They have approximately $90 million in salary cap space and plenty of holes to fill off a second straight 5-11 season.

Teams can begin negotiating with player agents on Monday at noon. Players cannot sign until 4 p.m. on Wednesday.

“It will be interesting to see which players we can potentially line up first for initial visits,” general manager Mike Maccagnan said at the scouting combine two weeks ago. “Obviously we’ll be very active on the first day in terms of the higher profile guys. I think the one thing I’ve noticed in the NFL this year or in the past years, I should say, is free agency moves very quickly. If you have guys targeted and you have your range how you value them, we’ll be very active. 

SEE ALSO

“We may sign a big-ticket guy. We may sign a small-ticket guy. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out. … Everybody is well aware we have quite a bit of cap space to work with. There are quite a few players we’re interested in.”

It is no secret one of those players is Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins. Cousins is the top free agent on the market this year — a rare above-average quarterback in his prime hitting free agency. Cousins is expected to command somewhere near $30 million per season, and the Jets are ready to make a strong recruiting pitch.

The Jets will have competition. The Vikings, Broncos and Cardinals are all expected to make a run at the 29-year-old as well. Cousins is expected to take visits before signing, something he cannot start doing until Wednesday. If he visits more than one team, there might not be any resolution to where he is going to sign for several days.

If Cousins signs with another team, the Jets are expected to try to re-sign Josh McCown, who is also a free agent after a good 2017 season with the Jets.

SEE ALSO

Quarterback is at the top of the shopping list but far from the only position at which the Jets need help. You can look at every position on the roster except safety, where they drafted Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye last year, and make an argument that the Jets could use an upgrade or depth at the position.

On offense, the Jets’ biggest areas of need other than quarterback are at running back and center. Players like Isaiah Crowell of the Browns, Dion Lewis of the Patriots, Weston Richburg of the Giants and Ryan Jensen of the Ravens are potential targets. Wide receiver is an interesting position for the Jets, too. They have solid depth there but could use a No. 1 receiver like Allen Robinson or Sammy Watkins if the price is right.

On defense, cornerback is the top position of need for the Jets. The Rams’ Trumaine Johnson or the Patriots’ Malcolm Butler could be players the Jets covet. They also may need an inside linebacker if they cannot re-sign Demario Davis, who is asking for big money.

Davis is one of a few of their own free agents the Jets are trying to re-sign along with cornerback Morris Claiborne and tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We may sign a big-ticket guy. We may sign a small-ticket guy. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out. … Everybody is well aware we have quite a bit of cap space to work with. There are quite a few players we’re interested in.”

Love when your GM sounds like a FAN overnight caller.

Paul Richardson among the FA WRs, please! I like Watkins but do not like the injury history. I Richardson seems to have a similar skillset. I don't like Robinson and like pursuing him off a knee injury even less.

I feel Trumaine Johnson is a little much. Get a competent CB like Breeland or Gaines and spend everything else on the offense. 

He better get to it. 

NFL Insider: Kirk Cousins Will Reportedly Sign With The Vikings For $27 Million A Season

KIRK.jpg

With NFL offseason free agency transactions in a frenzy, the hottest commodity on the market still remains without a team. That may not be for long.

The Washington Redskins opted for former Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith over paying Kirk Cousins a massive long-term contract, but it appears as if one if not numerous teams are willing to pay him what he’s looking for. One of those teams reportedly includes the Vikings.

After reports that alleged a figure of a three-year, $91 million contract with a record amount of guaranteed money was being offered to Cousins by Minnesota with, NFL insider Adam Caplan says he’s gotten word that the QB will indeed choose to sign with the Vikings via a deal that will pay him a whopping $27 million per season.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Lol let me know in what reality where New England calls us instead asking if we want their QB. 

11 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I’m pretty sure Cousins will go to the Vikings but I still think people like Caplan or whoever are just taking stabs in the dark in order to say they had it first. When in reality nothing is set. 

Oh for sure...Twitter and sports "journalism" is a marriage I hope lasts forever. 

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He better get to it.

After reports that alleged a figure of a three-year, $91 million contract with a record amount of guaranteed money was being offered to Cousins by Minnesota with, NFL insider Adam Caplan says he’s gotten word that the QB will indeed choose to sign with the Vikings via a deal that will pay him a whopping $27 million per season.

Is it three for $91M? or is it $27M per year? It can’t be both cause the math is off.... by $10M, which makes me think nobody REALLY knows. 

8 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Is it three for $91M? or is it $27M per year? It can’t be both cause the math is off.... by $10M, which makes me think nobody REALLY knows. 

I don't think (or I'd hope) that the Jets would not even go so high as 3/$91M. I think the $30M/year number has to go out the window if Cousins is demanding a three-year deal so he can cash in one more time. You give him that $30M/year average with two or three unguaranteed years at the end that you can get out of, not in a three-year guaranteed deal. 

But we'll see. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920544/article/richard-sherman-joining-49ers-on-3year-39m-deal

Richard Sherman joining 49ers on 3-year, $39M deal

Richard Sherman's free-agency tour began with the San Francisco 49ers, and it won't extend beyond the Bay Area.

The veteran cornerback has agreed to a three-year deal with the 49ers worth $39 million (including a $5 million signing bonus), NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported.

A text from @RSherman_25 about him agreeing to terms with the 49ers: â��Iâ��m excited. A lot of HOF DBs have gone through this incredible organization and I am looking to uphold that standard.â��

â�� Steve Wyche (@wyche89) March 11, 2018

Sherman was released by the Seattle Seahawks earlier in the week after the team decided it wanted to give the veteran an early start on free agency. The defensive back has been among the league's best for the last five years, becoming a lockdown defender and face of Seattle's Legion of Boom secondary. He's been as excellent as he's been topical, boisterous on the field (backed up by his play) and outspoken off it.

Perhaps his most famous play of his career came in the NFC Championship Game (coincidentally against San Francisco) when Sherman tipped a pass intended for Michael Crabtree in the end zone, resulting in a game-sealing interception and ensuring Seattle's trip to Super Bowl XLVIII, where the Seahawks dominated the Denver Broncos to win the title.

Sherman has dealt with injuries as of late, suffering a season-ending Achilles injury in 2017. He's on the path to returning, rehabbing during the offseason while visiting with prospective employers and promising he'll be back on the field by June, according to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero. He had a meeting scheduled with the Detroit Lions, per Pelissero, but decided one visit would be enough.

Sherman said he wants to play for a contender, and the 49ers could be one rather quickly based on the success enjoyed by the team after acquiring Jimmy Garoppolo. Sherman discussed Friday on KIRO-AM in Seattle what he was looking for in a new team.

"I want to go to a contender," Sherman said. "I play at a high level. I've always been a guy that can work well with others and continue to elevate if my teammates elevate and elevate others.

"...Would I go to a young secondary that is like we were when we were younger and help them grow and help them advance? Sure, if the number looks right and the situation is comfortable for me and my family."

That second scenario sounds a lot like the 49ers.

Armed with $66 million in cap space, 49ers general manager John Lynch was able to throw any number at Sherman. He found a fit at $39 million over three years, including a $5 million signing bonus. Sherman represented himself in contract talks, negotiating without an agent and adding intrigue to the details of his new deal.

Sherman's contract is an incentive-laden prove-it deal -- if he makes the Pro Bowl in 2018, $16 million in base salary is guaranteed from 2019-2020, per Pelissero -- which offers the corner a chance to earn more than he would have in Seattle if he achieves, but also gives San Francisco protection in case he doesn't. More details from Pelissero:

Richard Shermanâ��s deal includes a $5M signing bonus, plus $2M base salary, $2M in 46-man roster bonuses, $1M playtime incentive and $3M Pro Bowl incentive in 2018. So #49ers get protection, and Sherman gets upside to beat his #Seahawks deal if he plays well. Win-win.

â�� Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) March 11, 2018

Ian Rapoport reported earlier Saturday Sherman has an affinity for the West Coast, which makes plenty of sense and helps explain such a swift signing. The Southern California native is a Stanford graduate and is familiar with Niners defensive coordinator Robert Saleh, who was Seattle's defensive quality control coach from 2011-2013, Sherman's first three seasons in the NFL. He'll stay in the NFC West while also avoiding having to learn a new scheme.

Hey #Faithful, Gonna be a fun weekend! pic.twitter.com/CAnU4GNikP

â�� John Lynch (@JohnLynch49ers) March 11, 2018

With Garoppolo secured and a visible turnaround from his presence, San Francisco has quickly morphed from moribund to promising. Adding Sherman to a secondary in need of a corner will only further improve their chances in 2018 and beyond.

Talib traded to Rams

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000920541/article/aqib-talib-excited-to-join-marcus-peters-la-rams

Jets GM doing interview about being aggressive, while not be aggressive, while other teams are getting better - starting to sound like Idzik with his lone FA signing, not answering the call from Revis, they will need multi tasking questions for the next GM interview

13 hours ago, slats said:

I don't see the Giants or Rams being willing to trade all the way down from top 3 to #21 & 22. If the Bills want to get that far up, I think they'll have to trade into the low teens first, then make a second move. Even then, they'd be asking the Giants or Rams to give up on an elite prospect, be it Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, or -in the Giants' case- one of the QBs for themselves. Just don't see it. 

I could see the Broncos trading into either spot, or the Jets getting to #3 (the Giants won't trade with the Jets). 

It could get exciting early because I could definitely see the Browns taking Barkley #1, and then expecting Allen to still be there at #4. Trading for Tyrod gives them the room to develop Allen for at least half a year before playing him. 

Hard for us to see, since to outsiders like us it looks like perfect timing on their part. They know Eli best, and may feel - correctly or incorrectly - that he has another few years left in him at a high enough level for another ring (with a strong enough surrounding cast). Further, a new incoming GM saw the local and nationwide blowback just for benching Eli (granted the blowback was largely because he was benched for Geno not even Webb). He may not not want to be "the guy who dumped Eli, who then went on to win a SB with Denver/Arizona/etc., so he could draft [name of QB who ended up being a bust behind another sorry Giants OL]." Plus they further may see in Webb what Macc once saw in Hackenberg. Eye of the beholder and all that.

Now it's a pretty big "if" they're thinking along these lines, but if they are then it's not hard to further rationalize the team is better off surrounding Eli+Webb with 4 high pick prospects via trading down from #2, instead of dumping Eli and putting all their eggs in the basket of a rookie.

Like most, I really doubt this is what they're thinking. They surely know they can't simply time it at will, 1-3 years from now, when they'll have a #2 or similar overall pick with multiple, worthy QB prospects from which to choose, and another mulligan situation that screams "With such low team expectations for the upcoming season, now is an obvious time to make the move to the next era." 

11 hours ago, Larz said:

Jets have been in "legal" tampering mode all along.  Cousins and McCown have the same agent.  Jets can pick up the phone and you know, talk about re-signing Mc Cown at any time

Archived