FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

12 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Um, Congrats to the Niners for winning the Super Bowl in March!

Do these March Super Bowls come with Rings or trophies? 

Will there be a parade? Will the Niners Parade come before or after the Rams and Browns Parades?

#SOJFs

Everyone know that March victories are the Jets and Jets alone.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Paul Richardson among the FA WRs, please! I like Watkins but do not like the injury history. I Richardson seems to have a similar skillset. I don't like Robinson and like pursuing him off a knee injury even less.

I feel Trumaine Johnson is a little much. Get a competent CB like Breeland or Gaines and spend everything else on the offense. 

Rotoworld is saying that Richardson wants $7 million per year.  What am I missing here???

That is not a lot of money for a player who is very talented.  Id pay that day 1 of FA and not think twice.  

8 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Lol let me know in what reality where New England calls us instead asking if we want their QB. 

You miss the point. Rebuilds start with finding a QB. I’m jot saying we could have had Jimmy. I’m saying our fans enable a bad GM with stories about 5 year ‘real rebuilds’ that are pure crap.

Is anyone else kind of excited? Not excited in the “yayyyyy, good things are gonna happen” kind of way, but moreso in the sense that this is Maccagnan’s and Bowles’ Last Stand? They’re all out of excuses; they have the money, the draft picks, and the clean slate, and everything in the refrigerator is going to have their initials on it. And, if you’re a Jigsaw-style sadist like me, it’s also kinda cool that this free agent class sucks except for two or three veterans that are already tabbed to go to other teams, and their first draft pick is juuuuuuuuuuuust on the periphery of guaranteeing them one of the top three QBs? It’s cool, not because the scenario is slightly tilted away from them and we’ll likely get to shop for a shiny, new regime within two years, but because the scenario is set up in such a way that they do realistically have a chance to save their careers. There will be no excuses for either of them moving forward, which is kinda unique and refreshing.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is anyone else kind of excited? Not excited in the “yayyyyy, good things are gonna happen” kind of way, but moreso in the sense that this is Maccagnan’s and Bowles’ Last Stand? They’re all out of excuses; they have the money, the draft picks, and the clean slate, and everything in the refrigerator is going to have their initials on it. And, if you’re a Jigsaw-style sadist like me, it’s also kinda cool that this free agent class sucks except for two or three veterans that are already tabbed to go to other teams, and their first draft pick is juuuuuuuuuuuust on the periphery of guaranteeing them one of the top three QBs? It’s cool, not because the scenario is slightly tilted away from them and we’ll likely get to shop for a shiny, new regime within two years, but because the scenario is set up in such a way that they do realistically have a chance to save their careers. There will be no excuses for either of them moving forward, which is kinda unique and refreshing.

I am excited, because we either get a new qb or a new gm/hc.  Either way we win something.

Interesting predictions:

http://turnonthejets.com/2018/03/primesport-turn-on-the-jets-12-pack-final-free-agency-predictions/

A final batch of New York Jets free agency predictions before the madness starts…

1 – Quarterback – I think the Jets have a legitimate chance at Kirk Cousins. They will get him in for a visit and outside of the Vikings, I don’t think there is anybody with higher odds to land him. Gun to my head, I’m saying he ends up with the Vikings but I’d be far from shocked if the Jets signed him. Let’s hope they can execute. However, if Cousins signs with the Vikings, I expect the Jets to quickly pivot and sign Josh McCown back to a 1 year, 9 million dollar deal.

2 – Offensive Line – The Jets will sign Weston Richburg fairly quickly out of the gate to be their new starting center. They will not make any other major additions as there is a high internal confidence (maybe higher than there should be) in Dakota Dozier as a depth option at guard.

3 –  Cornerback – Morris Claiborne will hit free agency but will ultimately return to the Jets. The Jets will sign Tyrann Mathieu when he is cut by the Cardinals to play slot corner and then release Buster Skrine. They will make one other mid tier addition at corner in free agency, potentially either Rahsaan Melvin or Aaron Colvin.

4 – Tight End – After hitting the market initially, Austin Seferian-Jenkins will come back on a 3 year, 16 million dollar deal. The Jets will not make any other signings at tight end.

5 – Wide Receiver – The Jets will make an aggressive push for Allen Robinson but ultimately come up short. After this they will pivot and add a mid tier option like John Brown or Donte Moncrief. They will also be sniffing around the trade market at receiver. I could also see them signing somebody like Jeff Janis to help boost special teams.

6 – Linebacker – Somebody will outbid the Jets for Demario Davis. The Jets will sign an inside linebacker like Jon Bostic or Tahir Whitehead to replace him. They will also sign Alex Okafor or Bark Mingo to improve their depth at outside linebacker.

7 – Other Internal Free Agents – Mike Pennel, Kony Ealy, Terrence Brooks, Dakota Dozier, David Bass, Jonotthan Harrison and Chandler Catanzaro will all be brought back.

8 – Restricted Free Agents – Neal Sterling, Xavier Cooper, Rontez Miles, Brent Qvale and Quincy Enunwa will all be given tenders and be back in 2018.

9 – Running Back – The Jets will sign a mid tier back like Damian Williams or Orleans Darkwa…for some reason. They will also add a true fullback, like Zach Line.

10 – Trade Market – The Jets will get involved in some way before the NFL Draft, potentially moving Bilal Powell for a mid/late round round pick and maybe acquiring a veteran receiver from another team.

11 – Other Thoughts – The Jets will also be aggressive going after Malcolm Butler and host Teddy Bridgewater for a visit, however ultimately end up with neither.

12 – Pre-NFL Draft Depth Chart

• QB – McCown, Petty, Hackenberg
  • RB – Powell, Williams, McGuire
  • FB – Line
  • WR – Enunwa, Anderson, Kearse, Brown, Janis, Stewart, Hansen
  • TE – Seferian-Jenkins, Sterling, Tomlinson, Leggett
  • OT – Beachum, Shell, Qvale
  • OG – Carpenter, Winters, Dozier
  • C – Richburg, Harrison
  • DL – Williams, Cooper, Ealy, McLendon
  • LB – Lee, Whitehead, Jenkins, Mauldin, Okafor
  • CB – Claiborne, Matthieu, Melvin, Roberts, Burris
  • S – Adams, Maye, Miles, Brooks

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, whatever happens, they own it now.

6 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Interesting predictions:

http://turnonthejets.com/2018/03/primesport-turn-on-the-jets-12-pack-final-free-agency-predictions/

A final batch of New York Jets free agency predictions before the madness starts…

1 – Quarterback – I think the Jets have a legitimate chance at Kirk Cousins. They will get him in for a visit and outside of the Vikings, I don’t think there is anybody with higher odds to land him. Gun to my head, I’m saying he ends up with the Vikings but I’d be far from shocked if the Jets signed him. Let’s hope they can execute. However, if Cousins signs with the Vikings, I expect the Jets to quickly pivot and sign Josh McCown back to a 1 year, 9 million dollar deal.

2 – Offensive Line – The Jets will sign Weston Richburg fairly quickly out of the gate to be their new starting center. They will not make any other major additions as there is a high internal confidence (maybe higher than there should be) in Dakota Dozier as a depth option at guard.

3 –  Cornerback – Morris Claiborne will hit free agency but will ultimately return to the Jets. The Jets will sign Tyrann Mathieu when he is cut by the Cardinals to play slot corner and then release Buster Skrine. They will make one other mid tier addition at corner in free agency, potentially either Rahsaan Melvin or Aaron Colvin.

4 – Tight End – After hitting the market initially, Austin Seferian-Jenkins will come back on a 3 year, 16 million dollar deal. The Jets will not make any other signings at tight end.

5 – Wide Receiver – The Jets will make an aggressive push for Allen Robinson but ultimately come up short. After this they will pivot and add a mid tier option like John Brown or Donte Moncrief. They will also be sniffing around the trade market at receiver. I could also see them signing somebody like Jeff Janis to help boost special teams.

6 – Linebacker – Somebody will outbid the Jets for Demario Davis. The Jets will sign an inside linebacker like Jon Bostic or Tahir Whitehead to replace him. They will also sign Alex Okafor or Bark Mingo to improve their depth at outside linebacker.

7 – Other Internal Free Agents – Mike Pennel, Kony Ealy, Terrence Brooks, Dakota Dozier, David Bass, Jonotthan Harrison and Chandler Catanzaro will all be brought back.

8 – Restricted Free Agents – Neal Sterling, Xavier Cooper, Rontez Miles, Brent Qvale and Quincy Enunwa will all be given tenders and be back in 2018.

9 – Running Back – The Jets will sign a mid tier back like Damian Williams or Orleans Darkwa…for some reason. They will also add a true fullback, like Zach Line.

10 – Trade Market – The Jets will get involved in some way before the NFL Draft, potentially moving Bilal Powell for a mid/late round round pick and maybe acquiring a veteran receiver from another team.

11 – Other Thoughts – The Jets will also be aggressive going after Malcolm Butler and host Teddy Bridgewater for a visit, however ultimately end up with neither.

12 – Pre-NFL Draft Depth Chart

• QB – McCown, Petty, Hackenberg
  • RB – Powell, Williams, McGuire
  • FB – Line
  • WR – Enunwa, Anderson, Kearse, Brown, Janis, Stewart, Hansen
  • TE – Seferian-Jenkins, Sterling, Tomlinson, Leggett
  • OT – Beachum, Shell, Qvale
  • OG – Carpenter, Winters, Dozier
  • C – Richburg, Harrison
  • DL – Williams, Cooper, Ealy, McLendon
  • LB – Lee, Whitehead, Jenkins, Mauldin, Okafor
  • CB – Claiborne, Matthieu, Melvin, Roberts, Burris
  • S – Adams, Maye, Miles, Brooks

I like this

You know how the Jets could move up to two and help themselves AND the Giants? Offer to take Olivier Vernon’s massive contract off the Giants’ books. He’ll be 28 at the start of the season, has been a really good player, but his cap number is almost $20 mil this year and next. Offer them the #6 pick, one of the twos, and a future two for the #2 and Vernon. Hell, offer to swap Darron Lee and DRC while you’re at it. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know how the Jets could move up to two and help themselves AND the Giants? Offer to take Olivier Vernon’s massive contract off the Giants’ books. He’ll be 28 at the start of the season, has been a really good player, but his cap number is almost $20 mil this year and next. Offer them the #6 pick, one of the twos, and a future two for the #2 and Vernon. Hell, offer to swap Darron Lee and DRC while you’re at it. 

I don't know if the Giants want to move Vernon but I'd absolutely endorse this type of move. I love the idea of buying value using our salary cap to take on a big cap hit.

38 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I'm still feeling they go defense round 1, hedge on QB in later rounds and sign either Mccown, Bradford or Keenum. They will most likely have a built in excuse with the 3 QB's being off the board before they pick.

56 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You miss the point. Rebuilds start with finding a QB. I’m jot saying we could have had Jimmy. I’m saying our fans enable a bad GM with stories about 5 year ‘real rebuilds’ that are pure crap.

It’s not pure crap. How fast do you think a rebuild takes? 1-2 years? I listed in another thread several GMs that took 4-5 years to reach the playoffs once they started. And that was with some even finding their QB earlier on. 

Just now, Matt39 said:

I'm still feeling they go defense round 1, hedge on QB in later rounds and sign either Mccown, Bradford or Keenum.

I really hope that doesn't happen. It just seems like Cousins or a rookie in the 1st are the only way this regime has a chance beyond this season.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I'm still feeling they go defense round 1, hedge on QB in later rounds and sign either Mccown, Bradford or Keenum. They will most likely have a built in excuse with the 3 QB's being off the board before they pick.

They’ll try to trade down. If not, they’ll take defense. Then trade away our two 2nds to go up and get Lamar Jackson. Which would probably annoy me even more even though I wouldn’t mind Jackson. 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It’s not pure crap. How fast do you think a rebuild takes? 1-2 years? I listed in another thread several GMs that took 4-5 years to reach the playoffs once they started. And that was with some even finding their QB earlier on. 

Took the Jags 5 years, took the Raiders even longer than that. What happen to the 49ers was a gift from Bill Belichick, any team that acquired Jimmy G especially that much cap would have had a fast turn around. 

If we get our QB this season then we will be contending for a playoff berth this season, after that I think the sky is the limit.

5 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

You dont rebuild by taking defensive tackles and strong safeties at 6 overall.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

You dont rebuild by taking defensive tackles and strong safeties at 6 overall.

Rams GM took a DT, 5’9 WR, and huge bust at tackle at #2 with his first 3 first round picks. And yet here Les Snead is looking alright today. 

There’s no perfect path. But it does take time and little luck. And as much as you wanna hate the positions, they’re still good players. 

Just now, MDL_JET said:

Rams GM took a DT, 5’9 WR, and huge bust at tackle at #2 with his first 3 first round picks. And yet here Les Snead is looking alright today. 

There’s no perfect path. But it does take time and little luck. And as much as you wanna hate the positions, they’re still good players. 

Aaron Donald has the measureables of a running back.

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Very true.  And Snead realized that until you have a QB you are essentially spinning your wheels every year.  That’s why I don’t fault any of these GMs who have the balls to trade up and get a guy they believe in.  It may not work all the time, but you HAVE to take a chance on that position.  Waiting for the right prospect to fall to you organically in the draft rarely happens.  

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Rotoworld is saying that Richardson wants $7 million per year.  What am I missing here???

That is not a lot of money for a player who is very talented.  Id pay that day 1 of FA and not think twice.  

Are you one of the guys that doesn't like Watkins because of the injury history?  Richardson was kicked out of UCLA for felony theft, tore an ACL his next to last year at Colorado, had a weak rookie year, tore his ACL his 2nd year, sucked his 3rd year and had an okay season last year.  He has had one solid year and one hundred yard game in 4 seasons with an excellent QB.  His dad had a cup of coffee with the Jets. 

Richardson is a take the top off burner.  Much like Anderson.  I think we need a horse, somebody you can ride - I like Richardson, but I would take Watkins and might go for a guy like Crabtree style wise over him for the Jets.  

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

DYA7cAIW0AEA6LW?format=jpg

Cmon Mac! Just come away with Richburg or Jansen, Robinson or Watkins, and whatever good corner there is. No big deal, just give them massive contracts, who cares. Then we won’t hate you until the draft. 

58 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Calling bullsh*t on this almost immediately

I don't expect them to build the third super OL in two decades, that sh*t clearly does not work, but expect at least two new starters.

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe reports the Panthers are "heavily interested" in adding a veteran quarterback.

Carolina is looking for an upgrade on backup Derek Anderson, who is headed for free agency. It's not a bad idea given Cam Newton's ultra-physical style of play. Josh McCown, Blaine Gabbert, Matt Moore, Mike Glennon and Geno Smith are a few backups the Panthers could consider.

41 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I expect this too, and you can definitely argue that all they have to do to survive (in the short term) is find a way to add another three wins using $100 mil and three top-50 picks. 

Archived