FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, pointman said:

Haha! I love the Jets, and appreciate Jamal's effort and work ethic and all that. I just don't really care for all the jawing when he really hasn't been the second coming of Ed Reed. He talks too much. I wish he toned it down. And I love me some sh*t talk and the players that go hard and talk hard too. He just talks more than his play shows.

He has to be Ed reed good to talk ? dude plays with a passion and fire nothing wrong with that all. You guys find away to hate everything sheesh 

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Fear not. The Falcons and Seattle are coming for ASJ, so he’s gone anyway. Also seeing a bunch of new, post-Cousins-to-Minny rumors that the Jets are in on AJ McCarron, so there you go.

IMO. If  mccarron is the target then I think Mac may actually draft a top QB. 

The best part about McCown and everyone seems to be missing is that he's NOT our future. everyone that is complaining he's not our future are exactly right. But, please tell me, how that is a bad thing? Resigning McCown pretty much compels mac to draft a QB. Not that he didn't have enough pressure any way to get a QB, but signing McCown makes it that much more important. He's 40 years old and that is certainly a sign he will decline. In fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't get benched this season? He's never been a great QB any way.

If Mac drafts his replacement, and McCown (who has designs on being a coach someday) teaches him the ropes and grooms him for taking McCown's place? That is a very good thing and puts us on the fast track to getting a FQB.

37 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

The best part about McCown and everyone seems to be missing is that he's NOT our future. everyone that is complaining he's not our future are exactly right. But, please tell me, how that is a bad thing? Resigning McCown pretty much compels mac to draft a QB. Not that he didn't have enough pressure any way to get a QB, but signing McCown makes it that much more important. He's 40 years old and that is certainly a sign he will decline. In fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't get benched this season? He's never been a great QB any way.

If Mac drafts his replacement, and McCown (who has designs on being a coach someday) teaches him the ropes and grooms him for taking McCown's place? That is a very good thing and puts us on the fast track to getting a FQB.

Mac should be compelled to draft a QB just as he should have been from day 1. Settling for a crappy QB for any roster spot is stupid. We shouldn’t settle for any JAG. Go get good players, stop trying to just be mediocre, start actually trying to have high standards. 

I have the same bad feeling about Kirk Cousins that I had when the Jets signed Revis to that last contract .  I don't want to spend that much cap space on this player, but I will understand if hey do . Hoping he goes elsewhere and becomes someone else's savior . 

Two ways to look at giving a 3 year deal..

1) For the Jets to give him a 3 year deal they would be insane.  They have too much work to do to be ready to win in 3 years...Just throwing away good money.  Honestly, they would be officially throwing in the towel on trying to win a superbowl and basicaly acknowledging just being competitive is good enough.

or

2) They can sign Cousins and draft a QB next year - give said QB a chance to learn under a quality starter.  I don't think you can draft one high this year - as three years is too long to wait, but 2 years would work.

A 3 year deal would not benefit us unless we hit on all of our FA signings and almost all of our draft picks this year. Too many things have to go right for us to contend immediately.

Realistically, with signing Cousins to our current roster we might not be able to contend until Cousins’ final contract year. Guess what else will be happening around that time (if we are contending)? Everyone else on our squad is going to want a huge pay day. So you’d be fighting to keep Cousins while having huge roster holes.

For us, I believe signing Cousins to a 4-5 year deal is only scenario that benefits us long term. If he only wants 3, we’ll be in a huge mess in a couple of years.

Offer him long term/front-loaded $. He can have his first 3 years fully guarenteed. He says no? Focus on the rest of the roster and draft our guy, who you can build a team around for about 5 years before you have to renew his deal.

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

A 3 year deal would not benefit us unless we hit on all of our FA signings and almost all of our draft picks this year. Too many things have to go right for us to contend immediately.

Realistically, with signing Cousins to our current roster we might not be able to contend until Cousins’ final contract year. Guess what else will be happening around that time (if we are contending)? Everyone else on our squad is going to want a huge pay day. So you’d be fighting to keep Cousins while having huge roster holes.

For us, I believe signing Cousins to a 4-5 year deal is only scenario that benefits us long term. If he only wants 3, we’ll be in a huge mess in a couple of years.

Offer him long term/front-loaded $. He can have his first 3 years fully guarenteed. He says no? Focus on the rest of the roster and draft our guy, who you can build a team around for about 5 years before you have to renew his deal.

Jets have Zero leverage to force a 5 year deal. Right now signing him period seems like long shot as the days go by .. Cousin’s and his agent are in control everything . 

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

seems the writing is on the wall here folks . He wants to be Viking his agent just gonna use everyone else just to assure they get the money and contract they want . 

I'm still not convinced - I say that only because I think the Jets are in so deep that they might offer him something that blows him out of the matter...Making him an offer he can't refuse.  

But it does seem like you're right though.

I’m not sure I’m just not convinced that Minnesota is the best fit.  Zimmer has already raised concerns about committing that much to a QB.  He has multiple star defensive players that are free agents next season and it will be difficult to keep them.

If Cousins goes there and they don’t get as far in the playoffs, it’s going to divide Speilman (MN’s GM) and Zimmer.

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Two ways to look at giving a 3 year deal..

1) For the Jets to give him a 3 year deal they would be insane.  They have too much work to do to be ready to win in 3 years...Just throwing away good money.  Honestly, they would be officially throwing in the towel on trying to win a superbowl and basicaly acknowledging just being competitive is good enough.

or

2) They can sign Cousins and draft a QB next year - give said QB a chance to learn under a quality starter.  I don't think you can draft one high this year - as three years is too long to wait, but 2 years would work.

I mean it doesn't necessarily mean he wants to bolt after the 3 years, just wants another chance to get one more big pay day. 

Get the guaranteed contract now for 3 years to show what you do for the team, if you elevate the team and things are looking great then he gets a huge extension. If things are going south, then he allows himself to still get out and i'm sure sign with another team desperate enough for a QB at that time. 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I mean it doesn't necessarily mean he wants to bolt after the 3 years, just wants another chance to get one more big pay day. 

Get the guaranteed contract now for 3 years to show what you do for the team, if you elevate the team and things are looking great then he gets a huge extension. If things are going south, then he allows himself to still get out and i'm sure sign with another team desperate enough for a QB at that time. 

I hear ya, but you can't necessarily expect to keep him - you have to have a contingency plan.  I can't build a team around him necessarily because you can't be sure you'll have him back.  If he comes to the Jets - it does mean he was willing to go where the best money is - and that might not be the case in 3 years.  

But, as long as you are still willing to use a 1st on a QB next year - then I think it's fine though.  

31 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I really don't understand why we'd offer him a 3 year contract.

Jets dominate the cap game over the next three years right now, I'm less understanding of other teams offering only three years where their money is spread more thin. It's hilarious that these slimy NFL franchises might really be counting on a player coming to them out of the goodness of his heart, these mother****ers really might be that delusional. There is sadness in that - NFL fans think the same way en masse.

It gets funny again when you realize Minnesota wants him to take less money so at least three guys due for big money in FA will also take a discount. Why? They're obligated to, as men, finish the job and win the Vikings a ring. And they have the gd meatheaded public's support - maybe we should also build them a new stadium too so everything is perfect.

FA pass rusher I'm interested in: Trent Murphy 

He's coming off a surgery, which will keep him cheap I think. He threw up 9 sacks in 2016 and had some very interesting measurables (when he was healthy) to be a quality player including a 6.78(!!) 3-come at 6'5" 250.

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Jets dominate the cap game over the next three years right now, I'm less understanding of other teams offering only three years where their money is spread more thin. It's hilarious that these slimy NFL franchises might really be counting on a player coming to them out of the goodness of their hearts, these mother****ers really might be that delusional. There is sadness in that - NFL fans think the same way en masse.

I think the point of Cousins wanting a three year deal is that he doesn’t give anyone a discount, now or in the future, but especially in the future.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the point of Cousins wanting a three year deal is that he doesn’t give anyone a discount, now or in the future, but especially in the future.

the point of the 3 year deal is that he can do this whole thing again, when the cap is increased and guys are making 35M/year.  he'll give minny a 3 year window, then pick the next team that's close that needs a good qb, assuming he's still playing well.  

10 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Never heard of him. Is he any good?

1 minute ago, Scoop24 said:

I’m not even gonna pretend I know this guy lol

Same here, I was like

who-the-fook-is-that-guy-who-the-fook-is-that.jpg

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

the point of the 3 year deal is that he can do this whole thing again, when the cap is increased and guys are making 35M/year.  he'll give minny a 3 year window, then pick the next team that's close that needs a good qb, assuming he's still playing well.  

Right, yes. Then he gets to set his new contract on the backs of the Aaron Rodgers/Carson Wentz/Jared Goff eventual extensions. But in order to do that he needs to go somewhere and have immediate success, which is why the Jets and Browns have less than zero chance of getting him.

Archived