FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

To be honest, I haven't seen much of him. I just know there's a lot of buzz around him right now. 

I've seen Falk play. I actually like him a lot.

Falk is very accurate and accuracy is my favorite skill in a QB. Falk plays tough and he’s going to be very good if he gets the proper coaching. My only concern is his footwork under center and decision making. Good coaching will fix that right up and you’ll see him succeed based on that accuracy trait. It’s soooo important .. arm strength is good but you don’t need better arm strength over better accuracy. Brady never had the strongest arm.

Jets Will Take a Long-Term Approach in Free Agency

Posted Feb 15, 2018

E_MK2_2120-allen-thumb.jpgEric AllenSenior ReporterEmail @eallenjets

•  
  •  

New York’s AFC Representative Will Be Active But Smart in March

E_MK1_0941-free-agency-top.jpg

Last year, the Jets had to clean the house and shop for some bargain deals. This year, the house is in order and they will have the ability to spend once the NFL’s free agency and trading periods commence on March 14.

But with more money in his pocket, general manager Mike Maccagnan will maintain a prudent approach this spring. He remains intent on building a winner for the long haul, using free agency as a complementary piece to the draft.

“This year coming up and the following year, we have the ability to build this in terms of improving this team to where we want it to be,” Maccagnan said at his season-ending news conference. “But I don’t think necessarily that you take an approach where you just mortgage the future and try to do everything in one year.”

According to OvertheCap.com, the Jets are currently more than $73 million under the salary cap projection of $178 million. That number is expected to grow before free agency beings and at the present time, no other NFL club has more 2019 salary cap space than the Green & White.

Last February, the Jets waved goodbye to the likes of Nick Mangold, Darrelle Revis, Brandon Marshall, Nick Folk and Breno Giacomini. But the landscape has changed dramatically and Maccagnan could elect to re-sign a few of his 15 unrestricted free agents prior to free agency.

“I would say we have a lot of cap space,” he said in January. “We do have some players that are currently free agents who we’d like to re-sign, and we’ll work through that process in time.”

Five Jets starters have expiring contracts and that list includes QB Josh McCownicon-article-link.gif, TE Austin Seferian-Jenkinsicon-article-link.gif, CB Morris Claiborneicon-article-link.gif and ILB Demario Davisicon-article-link.gif. ESPN’s Kevin Seifert recently ranked the top 50 potential free agents in 2018 with QB Kirk Cousins atop the list and ASJ and Claiborne coming in at 35th and 43rd respectively.

“I think we are going to be very active in free agency, but again, we haven’t made our final decisions on allocating our resources,” Maccagnan said. “I do think we have a lot of potential to improve this team going forward, and we’ll focus on players that we can acquire from a talent standpoint that kind of fit what we want to do both from an ability and a character standpoint. I think we have the potential to help move this team forward.”

Jets UFAs (15)
OLB David Bassicon-article-link.gif: In his first season with the Jets, the well-traveled veteran racked up a career-high 3.5 sacks.
S Terrence Brooksicon-article-link.gif: Acquired from the Eagles in August in a player swap that sent CB Dexter McDougle to Philadelphia, Brooks collected two interceptions and pitched in with seven special teams tackles.
LB Bruce Cartericon-article-link.gif: Appearing in 14 contests, Carter carved out a role on special teams and finished fourth on the club with 10 stops.
K Chandler Catanzaroicon-article-link.gif: Replacing Folk, “Cat Man” established a franchise record with a 57-yard field goal at Cleveland and also set Jets marks for most touchbacks (45) and TB rate (83.4%). He finished 25-for-30 on field goals and was perfect on extra points.
CB Morris Claiborne: Hamstrung by injuries early in his career, Claiborne had his healthiest season in years and thrived under DB coach Dennard Wilson. He led the Jets with a career-high 11 pass defenses.
ILB Demario Davis: Never coming off the field for all 1,116 defensive snaps, Double-D’s 171 tackles were the most by any Jets defender since Jonathan Vilma’s 171 in 2005. His career-high five sacks and 13.5 tackles for loss/no gain led the defense.
G Dakota Doziericon-article-link.gif: Fourth-year veteran provided depth up front, starting three games and amassing 249 snaps.
DL Kony Ealyicon-article-link.gif: Acquired off waivers from the Patriots in August, Ealy used his length to collect nine pass defenses.
TE Chris Graggicon-article-link.gif: Suffering an ankle injury in preseason action vs. the Eagles, Gragg was placed on injured reserve in September.
C Jonotthan Harrisonicon-article-link.gif: Backing up Wesley Johnsonicon-article-link.gif, Harrison started vs. Los Angeles in Week 16 and helped lead the charge on Bilal Powellicon-article-link.gif’s 57-yard scoring run.
C Wesley Johnson: Taking over for Nick Mangold on a permanent basis, Johnson started 15 games and had 938 offensive snaps.
QB Josh McCown: Speaking during Super Bowl Week, McCown expressed his love for the Jets and is hopeful for a return. Maccagnan said he’d have no problem bringing McCown back, but he’s keeping all options on the table at quarterback.
DL Mike Pennelicon-article-link.gif: The 332-pound space eater became part of the rotation up front, compiling a personnel-best 40 tackles.
TE Austin-Seferian Jenkins: Transformed as a person, Seferian-Jenkins settled in on the field and finished with a career-high 50 receptions.
LB Julian Stanfordicon-article-link.gif: A backup on the inside, Stanford quietly finished second on the cub with 19 special teams tackles.

Jets RFAs (6)
TE Neal Sterlingicon-article-link.gif: Former Jaguar had six receptions in 11 games.
DL Xavier Coopericon-article-link.gif: Reunited with defensive line coach Robert Nunn, former 2015 third-round pick of the Browns was added to the roster on Halloween. 
WR-KR Lucky Whiteheadicon-article-link.gif: Acquired off of waivers from the Cowboys in July, Whitehead suffered a foot fracture at practice this summer and was waived/injured in September. He joined the practice squad in November and was later added to the active roster before Week 17.
WR Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif: Expected to be the club’s top receiving target in 2017, Enunwa went down with a bulging disk in his neck this summer and missed the entire season following successful surgery.
OL Brent Qvaleicon-article-link.gif: In three seasons with the Green & White, Qvale has suited up in 44 contests and made 12 starts.
S Rontez Milesicon-article-link.gif: The “Tezmanian Devil” provided depth at safety and led the Green & White with 20 solo tackles and 26 overall stops on special teams.

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Demario Davis..hot DAMN. 

171 tackles, 5 sacks and 13.5 tackles for a loss.

All for Calvin Pryor who was cut in training camp by Cleveland.

a lot of people apparently don't like davis but  he had good tackle numbers when he came over from the browns and showed that harris, in this regard, could be replaced.  and pryor?  what a pos he turned out to be. 

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Demario Davis..hot DAMN. 

171 tackles, 5 sacks and 13.5 tackles for a loss.

All for Calvin Pryor who was cut in training camp by Cleveland.

You gotta give credit where credit is due. DAMN that was an ALL TIME great trade! Now, Maccs gotta sign him. 

13 hours ago, rangerous said:

a lot of people apparently don't like davis but  he had good tackle numbers when he came over from the browns and showed that harris, in this regard, could be replaced.  and pryor?  what a pos he turned out to be. 

Think a lot of people didn't like the Davis who played here his last two years.  It's hard not to like the Davis who played here last year.  In the conversation for best player on the team.  

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Think a lot of people didn't like the Davis who played here his last two years.  It's hard not to like the Davis who played here last year.  In the conversation for best player on the team.  

That's because David Harris > Demario Davis & Demario Davis > Darron Lee

12 hours ago, Drums said:

Too good to be true but I hope this happens!

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, sourceworx said:

Sign Cousins, take Barkley it Chubb, whichever of the two falls to them, and take Lauletta or Falk later on in the draft.

I just saw this article indicating that the Pats are looking closely at both of these guys.

http://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/espn-luke-falk-or-kyle-lauletta-could-be-jimmy-garoppolo-replacement-patriots

That would suck.

Archived