FREE AGENT NEWS

joewilly12

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, pointman said:

Yeah I get thatt. Its all a landslide of signing Cousins is my point. We need a QB in this draft. The idea that we run with him for four years, and if we fail get a top ten pick is oversimplification. Reality is, he may just be real middle of the road, mid draft type of a team. That is the absolute worst case scenario. And a very real scenario if we bring in a 30 yr old, mediocre, hasn't won anything meaningful qb that the Washington Sucks At Football Redskins just let walk away for nothing.

Passing on Cousins and then hoping the QB the Jets front office falls in our lap is a gamble.

Trading away a ton of picks to move up to 3 when you know the Broncos/Bills will do the same is a gamble.

Giving Cousins 30 mill a year is a gamble.

But at least I have seen Cousins play in the NFL and know he is good to very good (And possibly more) and with decent FA pickups and the right draft pick at 6 (chubb or Barkley or Nelson) plus 2 draft picks in the 2nd...we can win NOW and for the 3 years after that. 

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Passing on Cousins and then hoping the QB the Jets front office falls in our lap is a gamble.

Trading away a ton of picks to move up to 3 when you know the Broncos/Bills will do the same is a gamble.

Giving Cousins 30 mill a year is a gamble.

But at least I have seen Cousins play in the NFL and know he is good to very good (And possibly more) and with decent FA pickups and the right draft pick at 6 (chubb or Barkley or Nelson) plus 2 draft picks in the 2nd...we can win NOW and for the 3 years after that. 

Cousins has hit his ceiling. He know what he is. A good to very good option. There are several qbs in this draft with the potential for big things to equal or surpass what Cousins is. Everything is a gamble but the Cousins gamble is a very expensive one, that locks us into him for several years and takes away this really really good opportunity to pick a potential stud QB. This opportunity does not come along often. All these options are spoken higher of than Sanchez, and he was the last time we had one. That was 2009. Basically 10 years. Thats a long time. Sanchez is now married with a kid and one day away from being unemployed. If this draft didn't have really solid options at qb, albeit unknowns (since basically what commodity in the draft isn't), I'd be OK hunting from the leftovers bin. Bridgewater, Keenum, Foles, there are other options that don't kill us long term (and I don't just mean financially). We wouldn't be stuck to any of them and they aren't that big drop offs from Cousins. 

7 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Gonna be great to break this out and reminisce over this experience after his third Super Bowl win in green and white

That’s some cheesedick sh*t and it guarantees that he milks this until at least Friday. Officially gayer than Lebron’ “Decision” nonsense.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, I don’t want to be “fake news bro” guy, but that dude doesn’t seem to be, uh, too plugged in:

I can say that it is a number that I've heard. He's heard something for sure.  Pessimist in me still thinks he goes to Minnesota.

Just now, T0mShane said:

That’s some cheesedick sh*t and it guarantees that he milks this until at least Friday. Officially gayer than Lebron’ “Decision” nonsense.

He's an attention whore. The one and only time he will have any. He is living out his dream after being RG3's adopted run step brother. 

5 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Cousins is 4-19 vs winning teams.  So we can go 8-8 with him and beat the Pats once every 2-3 years.  

We need a top WR, a good RB, and a center.  Get those guys as free agents, sign Bridgewater or McCarron and draft a QB.  

The only reason I want to sign him is so we don’t have to trade our first three picks to move up. With that said, I’d rather trade up and draft a QB anyway. 

1 minute ago, pointman said:

He's an attention whore. The one and only time he will have any. He is living out his dream after being RG3's adopted run step brother. 

That’s just gross, really. It pretty much guarantees he takes a visit here, at the least, and then Minnesota, and then the gratuitous dramatic scene where he’s talking to his wife at a side table in some hotel and she starts tearing up with all the mandated ESPN production ****ery and melodrama attached. The Jets are going to get tubed like the statutory chubby girl on The Bachelor.

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, I don’t want to be “fake news bro” guy, but that dude doesn’t seem to be, uh, too plugged in:

I think it’s obvious that that’s just a completely goofy dream scenario.

This may be totally bogus for all I know. I take all of these FA reports with a huge grain of salt unless someone like Schefter is reporting it.

But it wouldn’t surprise me in the least. Eveything that has transpired with the Jets over the last 2-3 months has dictated that they’re going completely all-in on Cousins. 

Finishing 5-11 and outside the Top 5, the promotion of Bates to OC and bringing in Dennison, sitting on a metric sh*t ton of cash, Macc and Bowles knowing that they’re out on their asses within 9 months if they don’t find a legit solution behind center, etc.

In the end, money talks and the Jets can offer more than anyone.

No one in their right mind is turning down an extra $8-10 million a year to go play for a team that is deemed more of an immediate “contender”. The landscape in the NFL shifts constantly from year to year outside of a handful of exceptions like New England and Pittsburgh. By all accounts Kirk is an aware, intelligent guy. Surely he realizes this.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

How does it make sense for them to sign him and then trade him?

That's not the tweet I was referring to.

That tweet was, also, very clearly a light hearted "they should totally do this even though it's totally unrealistic" scenario.

10 minutes ago, pointman said:

Cousins has hit his ceiling. He know what he is. A good to very good option. There are several qbs in this draft with the potential for big things to equal or surpass what Cousins is. Everything is a gamble but the Cousins gamble is a very expensive one, that locks us into him for several years and takes away this really really good opportunity to pick a potential stud QB. This opportunity does not come along often. All these options are spoken higher of than Sanchez, and he was the last time we had one. That was 2009. Basically 10 years. Thats a long time. Sanchez is now married with a kid and one day away from being unemployed. If this draft didn't have really solid options at qb, albeit unknowns (since basically what commodity in the draft isn't), I'd be OK hunting from the leftovers bin. Bridgewater, Keenum, Foles, there are other options that don't kill us long term (and I don't just mean financially). We wouldn't be stuck to any of them and they aren't that big drop offs from Cousins. 

If Bridgewater or Keenum were any good why are the Vikings going after cousins?. They've seen those guys play and don't seem impressed.

Foles got hot for a couple of games.. There is no reason to think he's the answer.. Plus you'd have to trade for him. No thanks.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gotcha, and continuing beyond three years?

Numbers could change if talks actually get serious, but I'd venture to guess anywhere from 24-27 million. Possibly even lower, depending on where the cash moves around in the front loaded portion.  

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I think it’s obvious that this is just a completely goofy dream scenario.

This may be totally bogus for all I know. I take all of these FA reports with a huge grain of salt unless someone like Schefter is reporting it.

But it wouldn’t surprise me in the least. Eveything that has transpired with the Jets over the last 2-3 months has dictated that they’re going completely all-in on Cousins. 

Finishing 5-11 and outside the Top 5, the promotion of Bates to OC and bringing in Dennison, sitting on a metric sh*t ton of cash, Macc and Bowles knowing that they’re out on their asses within 9 months if they don’t find a legit solution behind center, etc.

In the end, money talks and the Jets can offer more than anyone.

No one in their right mind is turning down an extra $8-10 million a year to go play for a team that is deemed more of an immediate “contender”. The landscape in the NFL shifts constantly from year to year outside of a handful of exceptions like New England and Pittsburgh. By all accounts Kirk is an aware, intelligent guy. Surely he realizes this.

Two thoughts:

1. Yes, anyone would go work in a sh*tty environment if it included $8-$9 mil more than the next available opportunity.

2. It’s very Jetty to attempt to beat the next available offer by $8-$9 mil for a quarterback that was just cast out by the Redskins and found himself with only two suitors in a league where people would give up their mother for a decent passer.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Numbers could change if talks actually get serious, but I'd venture to guess anywhere from 24-27 million. Possibly even lower, depending on where the cash moves around in the front loaded portion.  

Well, thanks. Always appreciate your insights. Cool of you to share.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Bridgewater or Keenum were any good why are the Vikings going after cousins?. They've seen those guys play and don't seem impressed.

Foles got hot for a couple of games.. There is no reason to think he's the answer.. Plus you'd have to trade for him. No thanks.

Same logic as the Skins letting Cousins walk for nothing. The Skins preferred Alex Smith to Cousins too. Perhaps like you say others aren't impressed by that crap, the Redskins who without a doubt know Cousins the best are also not impressed by him. 

And trading to get a QB who just played lights out isn't that bad a thing. Overpaying a 30 yr old qb that hasn't won anything ever isn't a great idea either. To that I say what you said about Foles, no thanks.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s just gross, really. It pretty much guarantees he takes a visit here, at the least, and then Minnesota, and then the gratuitous dramatic scene where he’s talking to his wife at a side table in some hotel and she starts tearing up with all the mandated ESPN production ****ery and melodrama attached. The Jets are going to get tubed like the statutory chubby girl on The Bachelor.

maybe

Kirk-Cousins-wife-Julie-Hampton-Cousins-

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Two thoughts:

1. Yes, anyone would go work in a sh*tty environment if it included $8-$9 mil more than the next available opportunity.

2. It’s very Jetty to attempt to beat the next available offer by $8-$9 mil for a quarterback that was just cast out by the Redskins and found himself with only two suitors in a league where people would give up their mother for a decent passer.

I don't get how others don't see this.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Well, thanks. Always appreciate your insights. Cool of you to share.

No problem homie. 

Without exposing too much for obvious reasons...

I'm not one to praise Maccagnan lately...but he's put a very very very creative and good offer, for both sides, out there...if Cousins takes it...I don't think anyone here (who is smart at least...) will complain about it.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Two thoughts:

Just think. We are mere steps away from mac bidding against himself. again.

1 minute ago, pointman said:

I don't get how others don't see this.

At the end of the day, the Jets will have gotten a quarterback and the money won’t matter because there are no current Jets who deserve a big contract extension any time soon (ever). 

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Two thoughts:

That’s the thing though, I don’t think the Jets are in nearly as sh*tty of shape as many seem to.

Even if the Jets give Cousins $40 million in his first year, that still leaves basically an extra $50 million to add a couple of extra pieces and sign our draft picks. And we’d still have the 6th overall pick and two additional picks in the Top 50 alone.

Macc can turn this whole thing around overnight if he plays his cards right.

Now, if you’re skeptical about him being able to play his cards right, well that’s certainly understandable. 

As for the move by the Redskins...well, Dan Snyder is a completely incompetent dickhole. He’s proven it for going on 20 years. From giving a fat, notoriously lazy interior DL like Haynesworth a $100 million contract, the Adam Archuleta deal, all the way through letting a Top 10 QB like Cousins walk and replacing him with 34 year old gamemanager supreme Alex Smith while surrendering a 3rd round pick and their best young DB in order to do so.

They’re even dumber than us over there.

40 million first year is really doesnt mean much of anything cap wise.

20 million base salary, 10 million roster, and 10 million signing bonus.  Cap hit 32.5 million.  29 and change avg the next 3 years

20 million base with 20 million signing is 25 million cap hit year 1.  31 and change avg over the next 3 years.

Both are 40 millon first year but affect cap differently.

My personal opinion would be 90 million first 2 years based on current salary cap the next 2 years.  20 million salary, 40 million signing bonus, 7 million roster bonus making a 37 million cap hit year 1.

15 million salary, and 8 million roster with a 33 million cap hit (15 salary, 8 million roster, and 10 million prorated signing) year 2.  That would leave his remaining contract at 25 million per (15 million salary with prorated signing) which will be on the cheap when contracts like leo, adams, etc come due.

Of course this is based on the reported 30 million per he is seeking.  If the contact is fully guaranteed, it makes no sense to backload it, and the Jets have the capability to frontload with the current cap space the next 2 years.  JMO.

Archived