Josh Allen Hype Train Rolls on With Mayock’s QB Rankings

JetNation

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  I think if you take Jackson you're going to have to deal an adjustment to the NFL but even once he does, up and down seasons.  Especially if his play leads to injuries which is speculative but very possible if he's running the ball as much as he did in school.  He wont be able to run away from people the way he did in college and I think you're going to deal with a lot inconsistency game to game because of it.

I think Bowles would also neuter him so much that Jackson would be afraid of his own shadow. 

Totally disagree. The NFL has become such an offensive game because defenders don't even know how to tackle anymore. Why do you think the Jets took Adams & Maye? 

The new CBA has almost OUTLAWED live tackling in practice. Why do you think you see so many shoulder tackles & highlight reels of guys breaking 5 tackles on the way to a 60 yard TD run? How about that tackle by Williams the Saints CB, lol! Do you think you'd ever see that pre- 2005? There isn't a CB from any previously era of NFL play that wouldn't have knocked Diggs into the stands.

Look at our own Darron Lee. He's learning to tackle & he's in the NFL already. Very few CBS are good tacklers anymore. With all the rules in play to protect QBs, more defenders who can't tackle, more offenses using college plays like the Eagles did with the RPO plays, a guy as athletic, smart, gym rat, like Lamar, who has gotten better EVERY YEAR, would tell me if you surround this guy with stud offensive players, an athletic Oline, as soon as the team starts having some success & everyone is on board and having fun seeing & making exciting fan stirring plays, fans going nuts, the entire team including the defense will rise up.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, JiF said:

I watched the whole thing.  It was clearly biased and I like Jackson better than Allen as a prospect.  

fair enough if that’s what you got out of it. I thought it does a good job showing how jackson’s instincts and patience as a passer are being overlooked

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Yes because he's slightly built and will get the Sh*t kicked out of him, his style works great in Collage, but not in the NFL. It's why we have Running backs. After a couples of Years in the NFL he will be on IR. Lamar is 6"3 210, He's going to get his ass knocked in.

You're taking too many liberties with a legitimate concern here -- that's like saying Josh Allen will never improve and always be a 50% guy... certainly possible, but let's not pretend we know the future. Lamar's like 17 years old, it's totally possible he leans out to 220-225 is not Mr. Glass.

Longevity is definitely something that a Rosen or Darnold has working their favor compared to Lamar, but you could also win right now with Lamar if the rest of the team is strong. Bit of give/take there IMO

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t want the Jets to draft Lamar Jackson because they’ll ruin his career. But, I can see scenarios where he becomes the biggest star from this draft class and we’re all looking back saying, “well, we whiffed on that one.”

I can see you have your SOJ, Big boy pants on today, with same your "old Shtick". We've actually whiffed on QB's for 50 years now, so it's not really a problem. 

Your biggest fear is, IF the Jets get a real QB, all those Bandwagon jumpers coming on here, spoiling your fun with their "Positivity".

Imagine how that will make you feel..  

3 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I can see you have your SOJ, Big boy pants on today, with same your "old Shtick". We've actually whiffed on QB's for 50 years now, so it's not really a problem. 

Your biggest fear is, IF the Jets get a real QB, all those Bandwagon jumpers coming on here, spoiling your fun with their "Positivity".

Imagine how that will make you feel..  

what

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You're taking too many liberties with a legitimate concern here -- that's like saying Josh Allen will never improve and always be a 50% guy... certainly possible, but let's not pretend we know the future. Lamar's like 17 years old, it's totally possible he leans out to 220-225 is not Mr. Glass.

Longevity is definitely something that a Rosen or Darnold has working their favor compared to Lamar, but you could also win right now with Lamar if the rest of the team is strong. Bit of give/take there IMO

If you spend your time running about like a Running back, you are going to get hurt. Jackson runs at the first chance he gets, smart Coaches with have fast spy Safety/LB's ready to pound his ass. It wont take to many NFL hits to impair his abilities.

My bottom line for him is that he's the least attractive of the QB's in the draft. Simply because of the way he plays, I think he's exciting but I'd sooner see of a more conventional QB back there. I will be routing for him though if he pulls on the green and white.

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’d actually give LJ the edge over rosen if we’re talking durability concerns- especially when we’re talking concussions etc. with his legs/vision/quick release he seems like the kind of QB that’s going to be hard to sack a lot. even as a runner he does not take a lot of hard contact, but I do agree he needs to get his weight up into the 220-230 range so you’re not holding your breath every time he gets hit

29 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

If you spend your time running about like a Running back, you are going to get hurt. Jackson runs at the first chance he gets, smart Coaches with have fast spy Safety/LB's ready to pound his ass. It wont take to many NFL hits to impair his abilities.

My bottom line for him is that he's the least attractive of the QB's in the draft. Simply because of the way he plays, I think he's exciting but I'd sooner see of a more conventional QB back there. I will be routing for him though if he pulls on the green and white.

gotta disagree with your main point- if you watch him when he takes off out of the pocket he keeps his eyes looking downfield. the fact that he can and does run like an elite RB doesn’t necessarily mean that’s his first option. also you need to consider how bad the louisville line is. it’s not like he had a supporting cast like mayfield at OU where it seemed like there was a wide open man on every play 

46 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Disagree, man. You should consider going back to watch some more games -- cause that's not accurate. If anything, he's shown a propensity to keep his eyes down field until he can't anymore... Working with inept WRs who are getting no separation can inspire one to run -- especially when a good QB can tell no one's getting open -- but i can't agree with some notion that Jackson is this mindless scramble-first QB. Not accurate IMO.

And to boot, injuries haven't been a concern, he usually doesn't take Fitzpatrick hits. 

2 hours ago, cant wait said:

try watching more than the first play before you write something off as “biased”

yes. Plus @JiF, you ignore the point of using that play in the film analysis.  It wasn't to demonstrate accuracy, it was to demonstrate patience and poise in the pocket, which it indeed shows.  WR did a good job with a slightly errant throw under heat but I don't think it would have been even nearly an INT.   

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t want the Jets to draft Lamar Jackson because they’ll ruin his career. 

Well that goes without saying for any and every player the Jets draft.  It's a constant for them all so it makes little difference.  Probably the best reason to get Cousins.  He already knows how to play in the NFL.  Being drafted by the Jets reduces the probability of each and every of the top QB prospects maturing to NFL readiness.  

55 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

If everything falls perfectly for Jackson, he’s what, a Vick type. A guy who had a 2-4 playoff record for his career.

And Jackson isn’t close to the talent that Vick was

Some disagree--

Appearing on the Rotoworld Football Podcast, Matt Waldman believes Louisville QB Lamar Jackson is "Michael Vick with a better understanding of the pocket, of his footwork, of his reads and of his decision making."
Waldman adds Jackson has better accuracy than Vick coming out of school. Yes, that is high praise and honestly we can't talk about Vick as a prospect since that draft class was so long ago, but Waldman certainly can. Vick had a long way to go and progressed quite a bit once reaching the NFL, and Jackson can do the same thing. The highlights show Jackson as a lethal runner, and he is. But Jackson's game always starts in the pocket and displays passing traits that should get everyone excited. Feb 15 - 9:42 AM

Just now, Obrien2Toon said:

Vick was a once in a lifetime athlete

Jackson isn’t 

Maybe... OR, that was 20 years ago, it's to time adjust your baseline. Cunningham was a once a lifetime athlete too. So was Bart starr if you go back far enough. 

Just saying. 

The whole thin frame for Jackson is talked up too much.

He's 20 years old, he hasn't fully filled out. Get him into a strength and conditioning program and he'll be just fine.

Funny how people talk about Lamar's thin frame, but have no concerns about Rosen's (and I love Rosen, so not trying to knock him).

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Vick was a once in a lifetime athlete

Jackson isn’t 

According to you, what are your credentials? Please enlighten me with the film work you've done & info on all his games since he was a freshman sensation Heisman winner.

17 minutes ago, King P said:

The whole thing frame for Jackson is talked up too much.

He's 20 years old, he hasn't fully filled out. Get him into a strength and conditioning program and he'll be just fine.

Funny how people talk about Lamar's thin frame, but have no concerns about Rosen's (and I love Rosen, so not trying to knock him).

In a league with law suits regarding CTE, let's draft a skinny kid who has concussion concerns.

18 minutes ago, King P said:

I wouldn't draft ANYONE who has concussion concerns & give them millions of dollars. Too easy to walk away, call it a day with an excuse about their brain health.

Love what your saying about Lamar physique & how young he is. My strength from 18- 23/24 was like night & day. Lamar to me is a serious football player who's character is not to accept failure. He CARRIED Louisville on his BACK. BAD OLINE, SO SO TALENT AT SKILL POSITIONS!

Swap Baker Mayfield to Louisville & Lamar Jackson to Oklahoma. Hmm.

33 minutes ago, King P said:

The reason for that IMO is because Jackson's main weapon is his running ability, and he will be putting his frame in harms way, way more than Rosen will. That said, Rosens injury concern is real IMO.

Archived