Josh Allen Hype Train Rolls on With Mayock’s QB Rankings

JetNation

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Big guy, big arm, not great accuracy, to add to that sh*t competition.  Is Allen a better prospect than hack?  Yeah would tough to be worse but his trouble parts the biggest being accuracy are a big issue.

I agree with you. What most people fail to realize is a funny thing... Watch allen and be puzzled at how he can be so off, then make a wow play, no consistency.  If i pasted Hacks stats and Allen's side by side and said which QB would you spend a 1st round pick on you would say NEITHER.  

Their stats are almost identical

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/16/josh-mccown-heads-into-free-agency-with-less-wear-and-tear-than-most-old-qbs/

McCown says he’s a smarter player than he was 10 years ago, and he thinks that makes him a better player than he was 10 years ago. McCown showed off some of those smarts in breaking down the upcoming class of rookie quarterbacks, talking particularly about how he thinks Louisville’s Lamar Jackson can develop from a great athlete to a great complete quarterback. It could make a lot of sense for some team to draft a quarterback and sign McCown to be that rookie’s veteran mentor.

Hmmmmmmm......

21 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

lol, safe space, because you are an untapped QB guru that the NFL hasn't discovered yet? Seriously brah??

Seriously "brah". 

You're literally bitching because people on a forum have and post opinions, and don't feel the need to constantly apologize for them, or caveat them with six hundred forms of self-depreciation bowing and scraping to the hollowed genius of a few TV talking heads and ex-players.

21 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

millennial? Im 46 years old, lol. Holy hell.

You stop acting like one, I'll stop calling you one, "brah".  

5 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/16/josh-mccown-heads-into-free-agency-with-less-wear-and-tear-than-most-old-qbs/

McCown says he’s a smarter player than he was 10 years ago, and he thinks that makes him a better player than he was 10 years ago. McCown showed off some of those smarts in breaking down the upcoming class of rookie quarterbacks, talking particularly about how he thinks Louisville’s Lamar Jackson can develop from a great athlete to a great complete quarterback. It could make a lot of sense for some team to draft a quarterback and sign McCown to be that rookie’s veteran mentor.

Hmmmmmmm......

Mmhmmm. I could possibly get myself into this. 

Just now, Warfish said:

Seriously "brah". 

You're literally bitching because people on a forum have and post opinions, and don't feel the need to constantly apologize for them, or caveat them with six hundred forms of self-depreciation bowing and scraping to the hollowed genius of a few TV talking heads and ex-players.

You stop acting like one, I'll stop calling you one, "brah".  

Bitching? I said if we are being honest, none of us knows jack sh*t. That is bitching?

You then whacked me over the head with some serious Al Bundy sh*t, telling me that you in fact do know, a lot, AND you played HS football!

That's cool, congrats to you, Im not sure how that is bitching at all, but you keep having your little temper tantrum Al.

I love it when you call me brah, it makes me walk with a limp, don't ever stop, please.

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We know what we see, and most of us have been religiously watching Pro football for going on 30-40 years.

We know what football is about.  Quite a few of us played, high school, college too.

And we know what we read, statistics are cold, hard and clear if one has the intelligence to analyze them properly.  And a goodly portion of us here are intelligent, University educated people.

And we're as well read as a group as any, we read everyone on football and talent eval.  We read more than any talking head does, be assured.

Be assured, we know as much as any ex-player talking head or general purpose talking head on ESPN.  If you think they study as hard as some of us study, you're fooling yourself.  Most of them are there because they look and sound good on TV, not because of their amazing insight or their spartan-like work ethic doing research.  

imo there are quite a few on this board who do know the game and study the players.  and their opinion is just as valid as the talking heads on espn or other sports outlets.  i, for one, am perfectly happy sitting in my arm chair trying to make some sense of it all and not really going to get too upset no matter which way the draft goes.

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Bitching? I said if we are being honest, none of us knows jack sh*t. That is bitching?

You then whacked me over the head with some serious Al Bundy sh*t, telling me that you in fact do know, a lot, AND you played HS football!

That's cool, congrats to you, Im not sure how that is bitching at all, but you keep having your little temper tantrum Al.

I love it when you call me brah, it makes me walk with a limp, don't ever stop, please.

Cool story brah.  

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Can we be honest here, none of us knows jack sh*t, despite our self proclaimed expertise

Can we be honest here these draft experts know jack sh*t (particulary QBs), despite there self proclaimed expertise.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Can we be honest here, none of us knows jack sh*t, despite our self proclaimed expertise

4 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

Can we be honest here these draft experts know jack sh*t (particulary QBs), despite there self proclaimed expertise.

A post so nice you had to quote it twice? 

I agree, for the most part nobody knows sh*t, the scouts, the coaches, the experts, nobody, except for Warfish, he played HS football.

38 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Each of my children feel that their siblings get favorable treatment over the others. In fact, they each swear it to be true.

The reality is my children only remember the time when it suits their argument, and not the other way around.

Jets fans, all fans, only remember when they were right, and conveniently ignore when they were wrong.

A wretched dog barks and howls insistently (the truth as she or he see it) outside my kitchen window this morning. 

"Each of my children..." strikes me as very Game of Thrones...House of Lannister'esque of you...

5 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

A wretched dog barks and howls insistently (the truth as she or he see it) outside my kitchen window this morning. 

"Each of my children..." strikes me as very Game of Thrones...House of Lannister'esque of you...

I have never seen Game of thrones, I am too cheap for HBO, so I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing.

6 hours ago, prime21 said:

Scouts and evaluators really like the kid but of course many Jet fans don’t, what else is new?  If we don’t sign Cousins and Allen is the only QB available from the top 4 then we must take him.  

lamar fcking jackson all day before this guy. He has no right getting picked ahead of lamar, and the fact that fans/media/posters have just all ignorantly signed off on that narrative for no good reason (or cause) - is seriously concerning.

There's a social psychology case study here. Also racist undertones. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

lamar fcking jackson all day before this guy. He has no right getting picked ahead of lamar, and the fact that fans/media/posters have just all ignorantly signed off on that narrative for no good reason (or cause) - is seriously concerning.

explain the racial overtones you see/hear.  Is it simply because one is white and the other is black?  Or is there something significant you see?  

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Hes taller. He's bigger. He's got a stronger arm. Let's not pretend like Josh Allen is chad pennington.  For the record I would be happy with either player at 6 (Or mayfield or rosen). There's no rule that says one of these guys will be good and the others will stink

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Hes taller. He's bigger. He's got a stronger arm. Let's not pretend like Josh Allen is chad pennington.  For the record I would be happy with either player at 6 (Or mayfield or rosen). There's no rule that says one of these guys will be good and the others will stink

No, but there is a rule that says that if the Jets take one of these guys, that one will stink.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

explain the racial overtones you see/hear.  Is it simply because one is white and the other is black?  Or is there something significant you see?  

When they say Josh Allen has a “strong arm and surprising mobility” and that’s why he should go #1 and then there’s a black dude who runs a 4.3/40, won the Heisman, and can throw it 80 yards on a dime without winding up, but he’s “not a first round pick” because of his accuracy despite having a higher completion percentage in an infinitely tougher conference than Pasty McScattershot.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

When they say Josh Allen has a “strong arm and surprising mobility” and that’s why he should go #1 and then there’s a black dude who runs a 4.3/40, won the Heisman, and can throw it 80 yards on a dime without winding up, but he’s “not a first round pick” because of his accuracy despite having a higher completion percentage in an infinitely tougher conference than Pasty McScattershot.

I agree with your premise.

I also worry that running quarterbacks risk injury too much.  I'd rather the consensus top three quarterbacks than Jackson because of that, but I'll take Jackson over Allen all day.  

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If he was 6’0”, and planted flags at midfield, and grabbed his crotch he would be considered top 5.

Discuss

I'd rather discuss what Comp. % we can expect at the Pro level from a guy who barely broke 55% at the Minor League level.

We already have one grossly inaccurate prospect in Hack.  Do we want a second, at vastly more cost?

Or is Allen going to morph into a 65% Comp. QB once he starts getting paid?

Allen seems be 100% potential, very little on production.  And that's always a huge concern for me come draft time, as it works so poorly for us in the past.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Repping mostly for Pasty McScattershot

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I'd rather discuss what Comp. % we can expect at the Pro level from a guy who barely broke 55% at the Minor League level.

We already have one grossly inaccurate prospect in Hack.  Do we want a second, at vastly more cost?

Or is Allen going to morph into a 65% Comp. QB once he starts getting paid?

I’m not beating any drum for Allen, but I’d take him over Mayfield any day.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I’m not beating any drum for Allen, but I’d take him over Mayfield any day.

WE usually have very similar opinions on QB's... this is 1 instance where we are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

We already have Allen, Hack... We also have Rudolph, Petty.

22 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You gotta remember we live in the now more then ever, and both Mayfield, and Allen have been parades around some while Darnold, Rosen, and most importantly Jackson have not so everyone is going to go gaga for the guys they see now, just wait till Lamar blows the combine the **** up, regardless of what happens behind closed doors all fans, and talking heads will be licking his balls more then Mayfield’s balls have been licked here the last month, and a half, except this time it will be accurate.

Just now, Stark said:

WE usually have very similar opinions on QB's... this is 1 instance where we are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

We already have Allen, Hack... We also have Rudolph, Petty.

Allen in no way shape or form is Hack.  You want a comparison a less accurate Pat Mahomes, and a lot less accurate, but nowhere near the inept Hack.  Which lends me to the fact you can’t draft either Allen, or Mayfield this year at 6 with the same front office still in place after passing on a far superior player then both last year at 6 while in dire need of a future QB just as much.

Give me Darnold, Rosen, or Jackson, then if you can’t land any of the 3 get me Lauletta later.

Archived