Jeremy Bates?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. My reaction is....

• Strongly Agree
    • Agree
    • Neutral / No Opinion
    • Disagree
    • Strongly Disagree

I voted neutral because perceived improvement will be due to improved talent.  I'll never be convinced that Morton did anything less than a heroic job this past year with the sad sack offensive talent we had.

5 wins rather than 2?  Almost totally due to a semi functional offense and almost nothing to do with the defense or Todd fricken Bowles.

Hard to know for sure, but I guess I view it positively.

Basically the offense was leaps and bounds better in 2017 than it was in 2016 despite having arguably worse talent. Was that because of Morton? I assumed he played a big part in that and was against his firing but maybe Bates was the reason for McCown's career year. He seems to be well thought of and pairing him with Dennison who has had lots of success through the years seems like a good fit. I would just really like some continuity. The Jets have had 5 offensive coordinators since canning Schotty in 2011. That's insane.

These OCs are only as good as the QBs they have running the offense or a direct result of a great Oline. Does anyone here think that Shottenheimer was any good? Jets were like top 3 rushing team in 2009 & 2010. So Morton did a pretty damn good job based on how bipolar our running game was. That Falcon game was disgusting! Go back & look how many 2nd & one or two yards we couldn't convert. Bates is well respected with some people using "genius" so who knows. If his presence helps us land Cousins than he's the best OC we have EVER HAD. That's why I think the Jets have a shot at Cousins. I think the only other team in the mix will be the Vikings. But, Shurmer left? Is Defilippo thought of as a GENIUS? I know the Jets tried to get him last year. We shall see. Cleveland would be NUTS to go after Cousins with the 1st pick in this draft so I say they DO NOT pursue Cousins. Denver has to cut players to fit him in, both WRs are over 30, I just see them as a window closed team. I don't care who your QB is when u lose 8 games straight your window has CLOSED! Its Jets & Vikings And it will come down to the most COMFORTABLE fit within the offense & offensive coaching staff with Jets having Bates & Dennison keeps Kirk in familiar (Shannahan Offense) which he loves.

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I voted neutral because perceived improvement will be due to improved talent.  I'll never be convinced that Morton did anything less than a heroic job this past year with the sad sack offensive talent we had.

5 wins rather than 2?  Almost totally due to a semi functional offense and almost nothing to do with the defense or Todd fricken Bowles.

Considering the success of some of these young offensive coaches, Bates was probably gone this year unless the Jets did something to improve his status - promoting him to OC left Morton on the outside, don't think it was on Morton, wrong place/time, he was one of the better OC's the Jets have had

Give the Jets some credit for doing something to keep Bates on staff, but they could have just promoted Moton to HC, giving Bates the OC job or better yet just make Bates the HC and let him hire good coaches for the defense - look at what McVay did for the Rams 

I have been thinking of Bates for awhile and my theory not fact is that......

Why everyone on the Jets are so high on him is because he was helping to script the the team’s game plan at the beginning of games when the Jets were seemingly most effective then as Morton called the game the Jets would sometimes hit rough patches not evolving on the original approach that the offensive coaching staff laid out.  

Just a theory. 

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Why everyone on the Jets are so high on him is because he was helping to script the the team’s game plan at the beginning of games when the Jets were seemingly most effective then as Morton called the game the Jets would sometimes hit rough patches not evolving on the original approach that the offensive coaching staff laid out.  

Just a theory. 

That and Cousins has a connection to Bates and the offense, has said he could get excited working with Bates, 

my only concern about Jeremy Bates is that he's taking the role of OC and keeping the role of QB coach.

It seems like a lot for one dude, especially considering the amount of development that the Jets QBs need (and how little development they've done under Bates so far)

maybe they will hire an assistant QB coach based on the pick. Like Baker Mayfield's middle school gym teacher or whatever

side note if you want to measure a franchise's commitment to winning, look how much they are paying the coaching staff. there's no cap on coaching spend. Some teams have invested money all over the organization, and others just pay the payroll and show up as tomato cans 

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

my only concern about Jeremy Bates is that he's taking the role of OC and keeping the role of QB coach.

It seems like a lot for one dude, especially considering the amount of development that the Jets QBs need (and how little development they've done under Bates so far)

maybe they will hire an assistant QB coach based on the pick. Like Baker Mayfield's middle school gym teacher or whatever

side note if you want to measure a franchise's commitment to winning, look how much they are paying the coaching staff. there's no cap on coaching spend. Some teams have invested money all over the organization, and others just pay the payroll and show up as tomato cans 

one positive is that it forces the OC and the qb coach to be on the same page.  no excuses.

In theory Dennison takes a little off of Bates’ plate as the OC, right? You basically have a line coach who handles the run game and a QB coach who handles the passing game and calls plays - and they obviously have a working relationship.

Really curious how the Dennison hire plays out. A quality OL coach is huge IMO.

Neutral is the fair answer until the product on the field can be graded.

If the development of Hackenberg and Petty under Bates' direction are any indication, I certainly don't have any high hopes for him. I also view the West Coast offense as outdated and mostly ineffective in today's NFL. Despite my doubts, he deserves a chance to prove himself.

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Just a theory. 

Excellent point. I hadn’t thought of that before. Definitely, a sound theory on your part. 

20 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

If the development of Hackenberg and Petty under Bates' direction are any indication, I certainly don't have any high hopes for him. 

Interesting point.  I was firmly in the "Let Bryce play and develop" camp until they played Bryce and I saw him consistently miss easy, routine passes over the course of several games.    It's true that a QB coach is there partially to help his QB get the problems out of his throwing motion, but when the receivers are open five yards away and the QB still can't get the ball to them or gets them the ball so they have to reach and therefore can't turn upfield for extra yards, you have to wonder if it's the QB coach or the QB's lack of talent. 

Archived