Were the scouting reports right? - ArDarius Stewart

Patriot Killa

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2018/2/16/17018330/were-the-scouting-reports-right-ardarius-stewart-new-york-jets-2017-2018

Previously in the series, I checked out Marcus Maye’s predraft scouting report and compared the player he looked to be to the player he was thought to be. Today we’ll continue with the Jets’ 2017 class on to their third selection, Alabama wide receiver ArDarius Stewart.

From NFL.com, here is a look at Stewart’s positives section.

Brings a physical play demeanor to the field at all times. Has takeoff to push cornerbacks into an aggressive backpedal. Karate fighting hands ward off jams and redirect attempts inside his route. Varies route speed to create uneasiness in defender. Sells route fakes with sharp head turns that tilt cornerbacks. Has a gas gear to race past defender and climb quickly over the top. Talented ball tracker with skills to win the deep ball on a consistent basis when matched one on one. Body control for mid-air adjustments is superb and his hands are like clamps. Very strong player and can take the ball away from corners when he needs to. Has kick return talent that translates into the NFL. Competitive runner after catch with skills that mirror a running back. Will elude certain tacklers and punish others. When asked to block and sustain, he’s willing to do his part.

What seems right?

• Well, I guess the note on his toughness is one I won’t question. Stewart certainly didn’t look to be a tackle-breaking force with the ball in his hands, but I think we saw a bit of an aggressive mindset.

What seems off?

• Lots of talk about skilled route-running ability here, such as “takeoff,” “karate fighting hands,” “varies speed,” “sells route fakes.” We didn’t see much of Stewart, but based on what we did see, it absolutely does not seem like route running was his forte. Most of his touches were manufactured.
  • Kick return potential did not translate at all. 9 returns for a measly average of 19.2 yards. He only eclipsed the 25 yard line on three of those returns, and only hit the 30 yard line once.

Here’s a look at his weaknesses.

Burly through the hips and doesn’t have the build of the typical receiver. Saw 70 percent of his yardage gained come after the catch. Benefited from screens, pop passes and reverses. Routes could use more sharpness at his break points. Wasn’t asked to create route separation on short and intermediate routes very often. Will need to work aggressively back to the ball as a pro. Can you get too cute with the ball in his hands and run himself out of yardage. There is still room for improvement with his hands.

What seems right?

• “70 percent of his yardage gained come after the catch.” Definitely seemed like this was the kind of player the Jets were trying to use Stewart as, and he wasn’t very effective in the role. He was a highly limited factor as a traditional wide receiver, relegated to mostly gadget appearances.
  • “Wasn’t asked to create route separation on short and intermediate routes very often.” Based on his diet of roles, it certainly seems like this was an area of weakness for Stewart.

What seems off?

• I don’t think anything in this section is off. All of these concerns seemed to be a factor for Stewart once he stepped on the NFL field.

ArDarius Stewart had some people scratching their heads when the Jets selected him in round three. While he had flashed some potential as a deep threat, he didn’t seem like a polished product as a complete WR despite the fact that at age 23 on draft day (and already 24 at this point in time), he was a very old rookie. Clearly, he wasn’t able to make the adequate developments as a receiver in year one, and he failed to make an impact in his limited manufactured touches, which was supposed to be his strong suit. We’ll see if he can clean up his all-around game, but for someone who is already set to turn 25 during just his second season, that might not be a great bet. I think this was a player you would’ve hoped to see immediate impact from

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets treated Stewart like he was Cordarrelle Patterson with the ball in his hands minus asking him to return kicks. 

I think it's safe to say, this regime would look at Randy Moss with an awkward eye like, nah, he doesnt tackle people or break tackles.  pass

I’d say that right now, a year in, Stewert is the Bryce Petty equivalent as far as draft pick value goes. Older guy to enter the draft, he’s still raw, ect , ect.

Jury is still out for ArDarius but as it stands the selection doesn’t look good. Hansen has already looked better in his own short lived moments on the field and now we could even be picking up another WR .. you add that to the fact Enunwa is set to return ... (hopefully) and a 3rd round pick spent on the guy just starts to make less and less sense considering how far down this depth chart he might fall by next season.

I would agree that, although limited time, Stewart didn't really look like he belonged out there. I was surprised at his slight frame and how stiff he looked.

Side note: I dont know if this is just me but sometimes guys look different when they put on an NFL uniform as far as build is concerned. socks and leg pads? I've thought a few times w different players that, I never thought that guy was so thin. Mostly WRs and QBs.

It's hard to have an overly strong take on Stewart after one year because the guy barely played, but that might be telling in and of itself. I remember in the first Miami game he had a tremendous diving catch for a first down and I started to get excited -- he promptly vanished and wasn't a a factor for most of the season. He had even clearly been surpassed on the depth chart by Hansen by the end of the season. 

It's dumb to write off any player after one year but it wasn't exactly a sterling rookie campaign. Let's hope for a better 2018.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

The Jets treated Stewart like he was Cordarrelle Patterson with the ball in his hands minus asking him to return kicks. 

I think it's safe to say, this regime would look at Randy Moss with an awkward eye like, nah, he doesnt tackle people or break tackles.  pass

yep. they gotta start getting the players in the right position to succeed and it's tough with a qb who just doesn't have a great deep ball.

it makes what the eagles did even more impressive because foles and pederson had the confidence in the receivers to catch the ball.  it makes it easier to thread the needle if you think the guy's going to catch the ball.

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep. they gotta start getting the players in the right position to succeed and it's tough with a qb who just doesn't have a great deep ball.

it makes what the eagles did even more impressive because foles and pederson had the confidence in the receivers to catch the ball.  it makes it easier to thread the needle if you think the guy's going to catch the ball.

Nick Foles threw a pretty impressive ball short or long, why choose to belittle a Super Bowl winning QB to debate the NY Jets 49 year QB drought. 

Come on man. 

33 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Nick Foles threw a pretty impressive ball short or long, why choose to belittle a Super Bowl winning QB to debate the NY Jets 49 year QB drought. 

Come on man. 

c'mon man, who's belittling him?  he threw an impressive ball but i don't think he makes those throws nor does pederson make the same play calls unless he has confidence in his receivers.  don't be so sensitive.

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

I also don't understand the back to back with Stewart and Hansen as they are similar players in a sense that, neither are burners or necessary big, both more of average size, strong handed possession types with #2 ceilings. But then I remember Mike Maccagnan is a ******* blowhard.

Picking back to back mid round WRs also creates a potential issue next year in terms of construction of the roster.  Neither guy appears to be ready to contribute, but it would probably be too early to give up on them.  Unless Hansen or Stewart takes a huge step next season, we may very well end up using two roster spots on developmental WRs who may not be ready to have an impact.  One spot on a developmental guy, I could live with, but two does not make much sense. 

A logjam of mediocrity--that is our WR position heading into 2018: Hansen, Stewart, Smith, Kearse, Robby, Enunwa, McBride, Natson, etc.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Picking back to back mid round WRs also creates a potential issue next year in terms of construction of the roster.  Neither guy appears to be ready to contribute, but it would probably be too early to give up on them.  Unless Hansen or Stewart takes a huge step next season, we may very well end up using two roster spots on developmental WRs who may not be ready to have an impact.  One spot on a developmental guy, I could live with, but two does not make much sense. 

A logjam of mediocrity--that is our WR position heading into 2018: Hansen, Stewart, Smith, Kearse, Robby, Enunwa, McBride, Natson, etc.

I agree completely. Some guys say we are fine at the WR position. I look at those guys and I say no way. WR is one of the weakest positions on Offense. That is why I don't see the high expectations some have for this group. The thought that sez "get us a franchise QB and we're a playoff team" couldn't be further from the truth IMO. That is one of the reasons why I don't want Cousins. Unless the Jets make significant additions on offense,in addition to Cousins, be it in the draft or FA I think a lot of guys are going to be VERY disappointed.

I think history will show that Stewart and Hansen are mediocre picks at best.

I really think that Mac gets too much credit.  

Mauldin, Petty, Jenkins (solid pick), Shell (ok), Stewart, Hansen-these are Mac's third and fourth round draft picks.  Don't tell me that these are at least an average bunch, particularly since in 2 of those years the Jets were picking 6th.

7 hours ago, JiF said:

Ain’t this the truth. Plays to him happened behind the line way too much. “You’re scouting report said you can break tackles...so here, run this reverse” -4 yards. “You’re not ready” 

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

He looked like sh*t. Hate wasting a good draft pick like that, wish we would’ve just drafted an offensive lineman. 

Pat Elflein.

If the Jets drafted Pat Elflein, they would not be looking at paying Ryan Jensen 10mm this year for 5 years.  Elflein makes like 700K for 4.

The Jets are not drafting Billy Price-they pick too high in the 1st, and too late in the second.  

They paid Wesley Johnson 3mm to stink.

Mac just blows at drafting.   We need to face reality.  The Jets should have hired Scot McC as a consultant.  

The thing with Stewart is that he doesn’t seem to move laterally, like, at all, then I saw he didn’t do any of the three-cone stuff at the combine, which suggests that he cannot, in fact, change direction. This happens a lot with 175 pound dudes who bulk up to 195 lbs.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The thing with Stewart is that he doesn’t seem to move laterally, like, at all, then I saw he didn’t do any of the three-cone stuff at the combine, which suggests that he cannot, in fact, change direction. This happens a lot with 175 pound dudes who bulk up to 195 lbs.

The Johnsons should be watching how Stewart develops carefully.  There were a lot of good players drafted last year in the third round. When he flops, that will be confirmation that Mac is a clueless drafter and talent evaluator. 

Picks like this are why a GM gets fired. 

The Stewart pick was a reach to say the least.  He benefitted from playing opposite Ridley where teams focused on stopping the run first then stopping Ridley.  Any pedestrian WR could have put up his numbers in that situation.  What sucks about that draft was that Mac selected Maye with Dalvin Cook sitting there and then took Stewart with Kareem Hunt sitting there.  Once again the Jets avoid offensive talent like its the plague.  I’m not overly confident in this regime to do what’s necessary to get this team to be competitive on a yearly basis.  

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Johnsons should be watching how Stewart develops carefully.  There were a lot of good players drafted last year in the third round. When he flops, that will be confirmation that Mac is a clueless drafter and talent evaluator. 

Picks like this are why a GM gets fired. 

Usually, scouts have one or two positions that they really know, and can identify traits in a prospects that’ll translate to success at those positions. Looking at this list, what position group does Macc excel at? 

QB: Petty, Hackenberg

RB: Elijah McGuire

WR: Devin Smith, Charone Peake, Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen

TE: Jordan Leggett

OL: Jarvis Harrison, Brandon Shell

DL: Leonard Williams, Deon Simon

OLB: Lorenzo Maudlin, Jordan Jenkins, Dylan Donahue

ILB: Darron Lee

CB: Juston Burris, Jeremy Clark, Derrick Jones

S: Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye

18 hours ago, JiF said:

there's this tendency to assume the Jets' roster has all this untapped talent that the coaches are squandering. 

it's not true. the roster is one of the least talented in all of professional football. They don't have any sort of QB to even evaluate these skill players half the time. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Usually, scouts have one or two positions that they really know, and can identify traits in a prospects that’ll translate to success at those positions. Looking at this list, what position group does Macc excel at? 

OL: Jarvis Harrison, Brandon Shell

DL: Leonard Williams, Deon Simon

It's the OL/DL. Shell is a RT starter in the 5th round (with more upside untapped) and those two DL are pretty decent. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's this tendency to assume the Jets' roster has all this untapped talent that the coaches are squandering. 

it's not true. the roster is one of the least talented in all of professional football. They don't have any sort of QB to even evaluate these skill players half the time. 

You can make the case both ways, though: yes the roster lacks talent, but the few players on the roster that we *know* have talent (Mo, Sheldon, Adams. Maye, Leonard Williams) don’t produce, either. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You can make the case both ways, though: yes the roster lacks talent, but the few players on the roster that we *know* have talent (Mo, Sheldon, Adams. Maye, Leonard Williams) don’t produce, either. 

Yeah cause there's only 3 talented players on the team at any given time and they are all on defense. Leonard Williams is getting double teamed. The Jets starting edge rusher was Seattles 8th DE and cut before opening day (David Bass).

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yeah cause there's only 3 talented players on the team at any given time and they are all on defense. Leonard Williams is getting double teamed. The Jets starting edge rusher was Seattles 8th DE and cut before opening day (David Bass).

True. True.

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Robbie Anderson good find but troubled player

Charon Peake

Jalin Marhsall

Ardarius Stewart

Chad Hansen

We have to go out and get kearse and kerly last year.  so far appears to be another mac fail position.

I hope we keep Kearse. He performed above expectations and was very reliable.   Kerley was a waste.  Peake was injured and Marshall had his troubles.  Stewart and Hansen were "Idzik"-worthy WR failures.  

Archived