Sign in to follow this  
Dcronin

YOU are Kirk Cousins

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

AZ - not enough cap room and Arians is gone

Jax - sticking with Bortles

Browns - drafting a qb at 1, already have Kizer

Denver - need to cut good players to get enough cap plus they have a higher draft pick than us. Josh Allen is essentially a hometown kid

The Vikings are the only team that has the cap room and need

Then the Vikings it is :)

He's getting paid no matter where he goes.  As a FA he can't just look at how a team looks today, he has to try to project a few years down the road.  He's signing as a longterm solution for a team not a 1 year fix.  a team that is good now may not be in 3 years and vice versa.

Cleveland- they have talent, cap room and a million picks.  if he goes there and they start winning(they will sooner than later) he can become legendary

Jacksonville. They are set up to win now BUT if he goes there and they don't at least make the title game then he is considered a failure.  A LOT of pressure going to Jax right now.

Vikings. same as Jax

Jets. we have some young talent, high picks, ton of cap room and Brady should be retiring w/in a few years. Just like Cle if he wins here he can become a legend.

Denver. they are nowhere near as good on D as when they carried Peyton in 2015 and the skill guys on O are getting old.

Arizona. Johnson is coming off serious injury, Fitz looks like he will be retiring soon and the Rams look like they will dominate that division.

a team not mentioned in original post is Buffalo.  Buffalo has a lot of young talent, cap room and a million picks just like Cleveland.  Buffalo was a QB away from being a serious contender this year and they should only get better around the QB in the coming years.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

He's getting paid no matter where he goes.  As a FA he can't just look at how a team looks today, he has to try to project a few years down the road.  He's signing as a longterm solution for a team not a 1 year fix.  a team that is good now may not be in 3 years and vice versa.

Cleveland- they have talent, cap room and a million picks.  if he goes there and they start winning(they will sooner than later) he can become legendary

Jacksonville. They are set up to win now BUT if he goes there and they don't at least make the title game then he is considered a failure.  A LOT of pressure going to Jax right now.

Vikings. same as Jax

Jets. we have some young talent, high picks, ton of cap room and Brady should be retiring w/in a few years. Just like Cle if he wins here he can become a legend.

Denver. they are nowhere near as good on D as when they carried Peyton in 2015 and the skill guys on O are getting old.

Arizona. Johnson is coming off serious injury, Fitz looks like he will be retiring soon and the Rams look like they will dominate that division.

a team not mentioned in original post is Buffalo.  Buffalo has a lot of young talent, cap room and a million picks just like Cleveland.  Buffalo was a QB away from being a serious contender this year and they should only get better around the QB in the coming years.

I agree, Buffalo can be an attarctive place for Cousins.

20 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The funny part of all of this is that many of us are not Todd Bowles fans, BUT, in NFL circles he's really well respected, is very good friends with Joe Gibbs, had ties to the Redskins, has just hired Rick Dennison, promoted Bates to OC, and everyone of these guys including Bowles are connected in someway to the coaches who have played a role in Kirk Cousins life and football career. Pretty interesting. Gibbs loves Bowles, both christians and friends, Kirk has been close to Gibbs, both Bates & Dennison have ties to the Shannahans who propelled Kirks career & literally took sides against Snyder in their belief that Kirk was the better QB in Washington. 

This could come down to that old business saying..."IT'S WHO YOU KNOW".

He’s from a small ass town in Illinois and went to Michigan State so living in Michigan wouldn’t be an issue for him. He could get a 10 bedroom house with 500 acres cheaper there then he could get a 2/2 in Jersey/NY and the vikes have a good roster but they don’t need a QB. 

Cleveland is probably the worst nfl franchise. 

Arizona is too hot. 

Jax has a good roster, no state tax, great stripclubs 😁, great hunting/gun laws and good weather but have an ok QB. 

Denver is a great football program, it’s beautiful there, good enough hunting,  they have a good fan base and media, cost of living is ok and a need for a QB so they have a great shot to get him.

The NY/NJ have an awful roster, awful cost of living, ridiculous taxes, housing pricing are outrageous, traffic sucks, the owner is awful, we can’t get a good coach or GM, terrible hunting/gun laws (hunting is huge in Illinois) the media and fan base are super tough on players but there’s great food, NYC (if he’s interested) and a sh*t ton of money. If he does come here and does well he’ll be treated like a king and would be the 3rd best QB to put on a Jets jersey and there’s 3 early draft picks so there’s a chance to get a true offense weapon or great olineman. If he’s only good or average he’ll get ripped apart all year long.

That being said I can’t see him coming here unless we overpay him. 

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

How?  Unless they have enough cap space and will to offer $140 million

11 hours ago, k-met57 said:

hmm...interesting that Jax Florida is not on the list...

https://www.listchallenges.com/lonely-planets-100-best-cities-in-the-world

The cities listed on the list don't equate to great places for a devout christian to live.  One of he cites listed is Istanbul.  Don't think the Cousins family would enjoy living there.  Big difference between being a tourist in a City, and raising a family  there.

Just to review, this player has made almost 50 million dollars in the last 2 years.  That's game checks every week of 2 mil or more. Imagine the pay stub.

Let's say he makes the decision to come to the Jets. There's no Von Miller or Joe Thomas asking him to come. It would purely be for money reasons, another 120+ mil, fully vested.

I think it would be fair to judge that player loves money more than winning (or even playing) and he will never be happy with the amount of money in the bank. He doesn't love this game like Jamal Adams. The dude won't earn that 120 mil. HE didn't even earn the 50. 

50 mil should be enough. Vernon Gholston and Mark Sanchez are living off their 50 mil just fine and dandy. 

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

The cities listed on the list don't equate to great places for a devout christian to live.  One of he cites listed is Istanbul.  Don't think the Cousins family would enjoy living there.  Big difference between being a tourist in a City, and raising a family  there.

you are the worlds only person who things Jax Floriday is a better place to live then NYC please stop.

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

you are the worlds only person who things Jax Floriday is a better place to live then NYC please stop.

LOL

And where did I ever say Jax is a better place to live then NYC

Guys, I just want to take a moment to bask in the glory of this thread. This is the most replies I've ever received for one of my errant thought poops on here.

I am thinking of holding a celebratory parade and gala for this thread, date/time/location TBD.

DC

On 2/18/2018 at 6:55 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Jets had a team capable of winning 5 games this past  year. We will have about 70 million in cap space after signing Cousins (probably a little less after some other deals for current young players that are close to free agency) and we will have 3 picks in the first 45 or so picks of the draft.

So ABSOLUTELY, the expectations will be vastly higher for him than they would be for a rookie or a Mccown/Bridgewater type and if you know anything about Cousins, he isn't one to back down from a challenge. He isn't the kind of guy that will be happy to collect a paycheck, he's the kind of guy that will want to prove the world wrong.

Assuming the team upgrades on offense (RB/OL/WR) I think we should expect to have a top 15 (maybe even top 10) offense and be in the playoff hunt year 1 and deep playoff runs during the first 3-4 years of his contract. There will be pressure on him and I am not worried about it. 

Good, that makes me feel better

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Jets had a team capable of winning 5 games this past  year. We will have about 70 million in cap space after signing Cousins (probably a little less after some other deals for current young players that are close to free agency) and we will have 3 picks in the first 45 or so picks of the draft.

So ABSOLUTELY, the expectations will be vastly higher for him than they would be for a rookie or a Mccown/Bridgewater type and if you know anything about Cousins, he isn't one to back down from a challenge. He isn't the kind of guy that will be happy to collect a paycheck, he's the kind of guy that will want to prove the world wrong.

Assuming the team upgrades on offense (RB/OL/WR) I think we should expect to have a top 15 (maybe even top 10) offense and be in the playoff hunt year 1 and deep playoff runs during the first 3-4 years of his contract. There will be pressure on him and I am not worried about it. 

actually we had a team capable of winning many more than 5.  How many games did we blow this year?  if we could have closed out some games we could have easily won 8-9 games and been in the playoff hunt.  we have some pieces to build w/, I think we should be able to compete w/in a year or 2 IF we have a good offseason meaning spending our money wisely w/ all that cap room and drafting well. if we bring in Kirk and fix up the OL we can absolutely be a playoff contender in 2018.

21 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Go to JAX and poll the people there and I guarantee you that 90 percent would NEVER want to live in NYC. Same here in Charlotte.  

I lived in NYC, you and I are Pace U brothers BUT I LOVE it here and visit NYC now but even if you paid me 7 figures, I wouldn't go.

Many parts of the country offer a much greater life style.

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Go to JAX and poll the people there and I guarantee you that 90 percent would NEVER want to live in NYC. Same here in Charlotte.  

I lived in NYC, you and I are Pace U brothers BUT I LOVE it here and visit NYC now but even if you paid me 7 figures, I wouldn't go.

Many parts of the country offer a much greater life style.

Yes but very few offer the kind of culture, diversity, and opportunity that NY does. look i moved out to NJ, its easy living here, i have an acre of space, big swimming pool, etc... doesn't mean i would ever tell anyone to go to live in Jax (where i have been BTW) over NYC. I also think that you are a transplant, so been there done that (like me in NJ now) i dont think its apples to apples for someone like Cousins or any NFL QB for that matter who isnt from here already.

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Yes but very few offer the kind of culture, diversity, and opportunity that NY does. look i moved out to NJ, its easy living here, i have an acre of space, big swimming pool, etc... doesn't mean i would ever tell anyone to go to live in Jax (where i have been BTW) over NYC. I also think that you are a transplant, so been there done that (like me in NJ now) i dont think its apples to apples for someone like Cousins or any NFL QB for that matter who isnt from here already.

Pretty sure nobody on the team actually lives IN nyc. They're all out in NJ.

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

Just to review, this player has made almost 50 million dollars in the last 2 years.  That's game checks every week of 2 mil or more. Imagine the pay stub.

Let's say he makes the decision to come to the Jets. There's no Von Miller or Joe Thomas asking him to come. It would purely be for money reasons, another 120+ mil, fully vested.

I think it would be fair to judge that player loves money more than winning (or even playing) and he will never be happy with the amount of money in the bank. He doesn't love this game like Jamal Adams. The dude won't earn that 120 mil. HE didn't even earn the 50. 

50 mil should be enough. Vernon Gholston and Mark Sanchez are living off their 50 mil just fine and dandy. 

Except in this instance the player is union all the way and has been very vocal about it. He is well aware of what precedent he can set for future free agents with his contract. He’s also been vocal about the fact that whatever contract offers he receives are the product of work that came before him, and he has an obligation to pay that forward.  If I had to bet on anything this offseason it would be Cousins making his decision based solely on the deal. 

On 2/19/2018 at 7:17 AM, JetsFanatic said:

Maybe if he is blind.  Not sure how Buffalo could be an attractive destination for any human.

21 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Du0hT6p.gif

I just don't want to see another Neil O'Donnel (who admittedly sucked before he got a huge contract from us) or Boomer Esiason situation

19 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I just don't want to see another Neil O'Donnel (who admittedly sucked before he got a huge contract from us) or Boomer Esiason situation

O'Donnell was an average QB on a good team, we were terrible and obviously overpaid but to get a player in FA you usually have to overpay especially a starting QB.  Boomer was at the end of his career, he was a lot like LT was for us back in 2010.  He started off great the first month or so then faded as the season went on.

Cousins is a good starter, he's a pro bowl caliber starter and he's still young.  is he great? no, will he be great? probably not but he will stabilize this position for many years if we sign him.  He's like an Eli Manning type.  Not flashy, not great but w/ the right talent around him your team can win.  we have seen so many starting QBs for our team through the years, very rarely have we had any stability.  This would likely bring that.

we'll see what happens.

I love living in NY and I find most people who say they wouldnt ever live in or near NYC have either never been here and or couldnt afford it if they wanted too.

Their opinion doesnt count.

If Kirk comes to the Jets he will easily afford the best of the best NY and NNJ has to offer.