Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2018/2/17/17023512/jets-kirk-cousins-fully-guaranteed-contract-broncos

The Denver Broncos and New York Jets are emerging as the serious contenders for Kirk Cousins once free agency begins. The Broncos have the ability to offer Cousins a lucrative contract, but will need to appeal to his desire to win to overcome the massive cap advantage the Jets will hold in these negotiations.

One way they can bring down the Broncos in these sweepstakes is to offer Cousins a fully guaranteed contract.

According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, league sources believe the Jets could offer Cousins a 4-6 year fully guaranteed contract to sway him to sign with them.

With Cousins rocketing toward the open market (efforts by his current team to conjure up a way to trade him notwithstanding), the question becomes whether the next contract he signs will be fully guaranteed, for the full duration of its four, five, or six years.

One team already is being pegged in league circles as having the willingness to do it: The Jets. If the Jets will do it, other suitors for Cousins may have no choice but to follow suit.     

John Elway has a tendency to avoid big cap issues beyond 2-3 years, so he might balk at offering a deal like this to Cousins as the fully guaranteed aspect of the contract in years 4-6 could/would impact the cap in ways the Broncos may not like. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/broncoswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/17/kirk-cousins-fully-guaranteed-contract-new-york-jets/amp/

“It’s debatable if the Broncos should be viewed as a team close to the playoffs, but it’s not debatable that they wouldn’t be able to offer the most money. In fact, Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk believes the New York Jets may be willing to offer Cousins a fully-guaranteed contract.

Denver probably wouldn’t be able to compete with that kind of offer.

Wherever he ends up, Cousins is expected to receive a yearly salary worth about $30 million. NFL free agency will begin March 14.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think it's pretty clear the Jets are going all in on Cousins and will give him anything and everything it takes. 

I honeslty don't love the idea but Cousins is coming to the Jets.

Yep. Everything points to them going big time after Cousins. In fact, the massive salary dump last year was indeed a sign of them tanking. Only they weren't tanking for Darnold or Rosen. 

It was for Cousins.

Someone pointed out not too long ago how Bowles has had veteran QBs everywhere throughout his playing and coaching career. He's more comfortable with them. With this coaching staff staying on, signing Cousins makes the most sense.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Under the current salary cap rules this is a scary situation. That said I believe fully guaranteed contracts in Football are inevitable and coming much sooner. If this does happen cap rules will go out the window and this contract would not look as terrible as it sounds 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m choosing to believe that this is just Cousins’ agent grinding out an extra guaranteed year from Elway. 

This feels like Reggie white all over again 

Word on the street is God wants Elway to land a QB

• Haha 1

Just now, Untouchable said:

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do

is there a version where you're not a homer for this? Cause it feels like it could be reported that Kirk insists on prima nocta from all fans - and you'd shrug your shoulders while working on a slim jim. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I could live with it.

Time to go all in on offense. Sign Cousins and use high draft picks on offense. Focus on shoring up the offensive line.

If the Jets tanked properly, I'd be all about drafting a franchise quarterback and building around a homegrown talent. They failed and they are likely looking at the 4th best quarterback at pick #6. It's going to cost valuable picks to move up. Picks they can't afford to lose.

A quarterback like Cousins doesn't hit the market often. Go for the sure thing, stabilize the most important position in sports for 5 years, and see what happens. Whether you want to admit it or not, it's their best chance at turning this franchise around.

Agree.  

Without context, it's a terrible idea to pay Kirk Cousins 30 million per for let's say five years and fully guarantee the contract.  

But considering the situation we're in, the cap room we have, the pick we have (and the teams ahead of us that need a quarterback)... I could live with it...

Hopefully, it doesn't come to this and Florio is just talking out of his a$$ as usual.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

22 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I could live with it.

Time to go all in on offense. Sign Cousins and use high draft picks on offense. Focus on shoring up the offensive line.

If the Jets tanked properly, I'd be all about drafting a franchise quarterback and building around a homegrown talent. They failed and they are likely looking at the 4th best quarterback at pick #6. It's going to cost valuable picks to move up. Picks they can't afford to lose.

A quarterback like Cousins doesn't hit the market often. Go for the sure thing, stabilize the most important position in sports for 5 years, and see what happens. Whether you want to admit it or not, it's their best chance at turning this franchise around.

I remember feeling this exact same way when the Nets traded their next twenty draft picks for Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I could live with it.

In order for the Jets to "reach" for a QB they have to destroy either their cap space or their draft capital.   They probably don't love any of the QBs who could potentially fall to them at #6 and they have cap space to waste (which is what Cousins will be in the big picture - a waste).  This move will reek of the desperation that the Fitzpatrick and McCown signings did except it's a couple of notches of an improvement.  Maybe it will get them a wildcard appearance but I don't see Cousins getting this franchise across the finish line.  This would be a terrible signing IMO.  Just more of the same from this crap franchise.  Never going for the real solution.  Always with the band-aids.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The Jets will be the idiots that give this sort of deal to Cousins.  Macc and Bowles need a quick fix to save their jobs.  This is why they should've both been fired.

I totally agree. If the prove not to have the balls to do the right thing and stay the course and build the team the right way, the Jets should have brought someone in that could. Hopefully we're wrong about this. 

• Upvote 1