Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So you're comparing Mccown to Cousins? That's pretty hilarious. Mccown was signed as a stop gap in a rebuilding year. The only other team that wanted him, wanted him to be their backup. Meanwhile, there appears to be numerous teams desperately trying to free up cap space to give this man 30 mill a year after the Redskins just paid him over 40 million over the last 2 years. 

I'm saying going for the "best available" in a given year isn't necessarily the long-term winning move.  It can actually set you back.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Stop bringing up the BEST QB along with Brady over the last 25 freaking years please. Drives me crazy. Derek Carr & Garapolo are the highest paid QBs in the NFL and if you haven't noticed no one is comparing them to Aaron Rogers & Tom Brady.

I wouldn't pay Derek Carr the money he's making.  I would roll the dice on Garopollo but he's obviously no guarantee and we didn't have a chance at him once he got drafted by the Pats.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, hawk said:

You guys act like your the ones paying the contract.  We need a QB, he is the best known QB available, and the Jets have the space.  The Cap rises every single year and $30 million will be on the cheap in a couple years when new QBs get their deals.  

As a STH and someone who buys the NFL ticket, I do pay a portion. 

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm saying going for the "best available" in a given year isn't necessarily the long-term winning move.  It can actually set you back.  

Agreed. But cousins isn't the best available this year, he's the best available in the last decade plus and if he plays as well as he's played the last few years he'll be second best QB this Franchise ever had. 

Not sure you pass that up to draft the 3rd or 4th best QB in a draft even if this is a really talented draft class. If he opts to go to another team, taking Allen or Mayfield at 6 isn't a bad consolation prize.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. But cousins isn't the best available this year, he's the best available in the last decade plus and if he plays as well as he's played the last few years he'll be second best QB this Franchise ever had. 

Not sure you pass that up to draft the 3rd or 4th best QB in a draft even if this is a really talented draft class. If he opts to go to another team, taking Allen or Mayfield at 6 isn't a bad consolation prize.

I don't know - The Jets have won 10 games in a season quite often and have a number of playoffs wins since Namath.

I'd love if we got him.

The stats he's already posted in his career would be far and away the best we've ever had. He's posted top 10 numbers with a horrific supporting cast, and hasn't even hit his prime yet.

The others in the draft would be a gamble, and if we'd trade up; we'd be gutting our next 3 drafts for once again: A Gamble.

You get this guy, build a team around him, and watch our team become an elite force in the league.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Sanchez 4 playoff wins. Namath 2 Playoff wins. 

I guess it's time to put Sanchez in the Jets ring of honor!

No one's putting Sanchez in the ring of honor - but you and many people on this board are already calling this guy the second best QB the Jets have ever had ...

1. Without him playing a game on the Jets
  2. A career losing record
  3. No playoff wins
  4. Whose current organization (guys that know him the best) decided that Alex Smith was an upgrade.

It's not just the $30mm (although that's a lot) it's also the opportuhity cost of passing on a real. potential franchise QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

How is a fully gauranteed contract a good idea in any way for the cap of this team? Doesn’t that just hinder you every single year with no out if things go wrong? Has there been a positive spin on this? Why it’d be a good idea?

Mac wants to burn this thing to the ground and take everyone with him. 

They may front load the crap out if it

The whining is stupid.

The salary cap keeps going up by 10-11 Mil a year.  It was 167m in 17', will be 178m in 18', and 200m by 20'.

In 2021 there will be another lockout which will no doubt result in an even greater increase in the cap and # of guaranteed contracts.

Mid way through a 5 year deal Kirk will probably be the 8th-10th highest paid QB in the league.

Get over it..  30m a year now and going forward isn't the same as it was even 5 years ago.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

How is a fully gauranteed contract a good idea in any way for the cap of this team? Doesn’t that just hinder you every single year with no out if things go wrong? Has there been a positive spin on this? Why it’d be a good idea?

Mac wants to burn this thing to the ground and take everyone with him. 

Mac has been good at having contracts that the Jets can get out of in a couple years without a dead cap hit the team can't handle. So offering a fully gtd contract seems highly inconsistent with that.  I call bullsht on Florio on this one. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pac said:

The whining is stupid.

The salary cap keeps going up by 10-11 Mil a year.  It was 167m in 17', will be 178m in 18', and 200m by 20'.

In 2021 there will be another lockout which will no doubt result in an even greater increase in the cap and # of guaranteed contracts.

Mid way through a 5 year deal Kirk will probably be the 8th-10th highest paid QB in the league.

Get over it..  30m a year now and going forward isn't the same as it was even 5 years ago.

That is the way it's been in the past - consistent growth....

But if TV ratings continue to drop at even close to the currect pace the cap will not only stop growing but it will regress.

46 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Guarantee him! Have a masseuse on the sideline for him, have Tom Shane feed him grapes  at halftime in the locker room. Whatever it takes so I don't have to see McCown or Bryce "I have no idea what I'm doing" Petty ever again in a Jets uniform.

sig worthy

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

But if TV ratings continue to drop at even close to the currect pace the cap will not only stop growing but it will regress.

Perhaps but I don't think that happens any time soon.  If Gordon Hayward and Paul Milsap are making 30 Mil a year in the NBA then I don't see a problem with Cousins making that in a much more popular league.

3 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

So let me get this straight.....because M Florio throws something out there it's going to happen?  There are many good/smart posters on this board that become rather dumb very quickly at times.

This is a chat Jet board - it's what we do...somebody thows something out there and we discuss the mertis.  

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No one's putting Sanchez in the ring of honor - but you and many people on this board are already calling this guy the second best QB the Jets have ever had ...

1. Without him playing a game on the Jets
  2. A career losing record
  3. No playoff wins
  4. Whose current organization (guys that know him the best) decided that Alex Smith was an upgrade.

It's not just the $30mm (although that's a lot) it's also the opportuhity cost of passing on a real. potential franchise QB.

I feel sorry for you having to rely on the wisdom, actions and consequences of Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen to defend your argument.  It's a bit castrating, isn't it?

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Cap will have to go up or replaced with a tax. Guaranteed contacts will be the norm and will be a major point of contention along with health care in the next CBA. These will be points the union will bond over. 

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I feel sorry for you having to rely on the wisdom, actions and consequences of Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen to defend your argument.  It's a bit castrating, isn't it?

I"m sorry, if you can't rely on someones success or failure - what are you to rely on?

If he played for Bellichick and Kraft I would have a point of comparision - I don't, so I can only look at what we know and what we KNOW...the guy has a losing record, hasn't won in the playoffs and his current team prefers Alex Smith.

I'm not saying he's terrible but I saying already calling him the second best QB the Jets have ever had is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Kirk cousins. Is not getting 5 years $150 million guaranteed .......really? This is what's being discussed here? 

It's absoltely going to be close to that.

Right now the Jets organization - owners, GM, HC - already know what their line is...and it's my guess that $150 for 5 isn't it.

Cousins will be a Jet and the contract will look very similar to that.

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine locking up $30 million dollars in cap space for the next five years in a player that the Redskins are voluntarily throwing away.

Wrong. Tedskins aren’t voluntarily throwing him away. The cost to keep him is prohibitive without a long term contract. They’ve tagged him twice, which means they aren’t willing to throw him away.  And 30 mil for an above average starting QB in 2022 would sound amazing. Have you seen the cap jumps?

• Sympathy 2

11 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The responsible choices at quarterback this offseason, as I see them, are either signing Cousins or trading up in the draft.  And seeing as how we've got a boatload of cap space, I prefer to use it to sign Cousins and keep the draft picks we would've used in a trade up.  

Do you really beleive the "responsible" thing to do is guarantee $150mm to a losing QB? 

It might actually be the single most irresponsible thing any team could do.

• Post of the Week 1

Cousins averages over the three years he's been a starter are:

67   Completion %
4392 Yards
27   TD's
12   INT's

Compare them to the averages of Jameis Winston & Marcus Mariota
both who are three year starters as well:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2969939/jameis-winston

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2576980/marcus-mariota

• Upvote 1