Patriot Killa

Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

Mac will go all in with KC, and Bowles is onboard. Neither 1 of them have the balls to draft a rookie and PLAY him. This off season will make or break these 2 gutless fools.

Lol that's  true

1 minute ago, Pac said:

The whining is stupid.

The salary cap keeps going up by 10-11 Mil a year.  It was 167m in 17', will be 178m in 18', and 200m by 20'.

In 2021 there will be another lockout which will no doubt result in an even greater increase in the cap and # of guaranteed contracts.

Mid way through a 5 year deal Kirk will probably be the 8th-10th highest paid QB in the league.

Get over it..  30m a year now and going forward isn't the same as it was even 5 years ago.

That is the way it's been in the past - consistent growth....

But if TV ratings continue to drop at even close to the currect pace the cap will not only stop growing but it will regress.

46 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Guarantee him! Have a masseuse on the sideline for him, have Tom Shane feed him grapes  at halftime in the locker room. Whatever it takes so I don't have to see McCown or Bryce "I have no idea what I'm doing" Petty ever again in a Jets uniform.

sig worthy

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

But if TV ratings continue to drop at even close to the currect pace the cap will not only stop growing but it will regress.

Perhaps but I don't think that happens any time soon.  If Gordon Hayward and Paul Milsap are making 30 Mil a year in the NBA then I don't see a problem with Cousins making that in a much more popular league.

3 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

So let me get this straight.....because M Florio throws something out there it's going to happen?  There are many good/smart posters on this board that become rather dumb very quickly at times.

This is a chat Jet board - it's what we do...somebody thows something out there and we discuss the mertis.  

Kirk cousins. Is not getting 5 years $150 million guaranteed .......really? This is what's being discussed here? 

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No one's putting Sanchez in the ring of honor - but you and many people on this board are already calling this guy the second best QB the Jets have ever had ...

1. Without him playing a game on the Jets
  2. A career losing record
  3. No playoff wins
  4. Whose current organization (guys that know him the best) decided that Alex Smith was an upgrade.

It's not just the $30mm (although that's a lot) it's also the opportuhity cost of passing on a real. potential franchise QB.

I feel sorry for you having to rely on the wisdom, actions and consequences of Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen to defend your argument.  It's a bit castrating, isn't it?

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Cap will have to go up or replaced with a tax. Guaranteed contacts will be the norm and will be a major point of contention along with health care in the next CBA. These will be points the union will bond over. 

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He’s a 29 year old 4,300 yard, 25-30 TD QB who completes 65% of his passes and is intimately familiar with the offense we’re set to run.

LOL, not with Todd We need to run more Bowles he isnt. And Cousins sucks

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I feel sorry for you having to rely on the wisdom, actions and consequences of Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen to defend your argument.  It's a bit castrating, isn't it?

I"m sorry, if you can't rely on someones success or failure - what are you to rely on?

If he played for Bellichick and Kraft I would have a point of comparision - I don't, so I can only look at what we know and what we KNOW...the guy has a losing record, hasn't won in the playoffs and his current team prefers Alex Smith.

I'm not saying he's terrible but I saying already calling him the second best QB the Jets have ever had is ridiculous.

23 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Kirk cousins. Is not getting 5 years $150 million guaranteed .......really? This is what's being discussed here? 

It's absoltely going to be close to that.

Right now the Jets organization - owners, GM, HC - already know what their line is...and it's my guess that $150 for 5 isn't it.

Cousins will be a Jet and the contract will look very similar to that.

54 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Sanchez 4 playoff wins. Namath 2 Playoff wins. 

I guess it's time to put Sanchez in the Jets ring of honor!

If the Jets could squeeze out 2 more wins either of those years, he'd be there...................They didn't

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine locking up $30 million dollars in cap space for the next five years in a player that the Redskins are voluntarily throwing away.

Wrong. Tedskins aren’t voluntarily throwing him away. The cost to keep him is prohibitive without a long term contract. They’ve tagged him twice, which means they aren’t willing to throw him away.  And 30 mil for an above average starting QB in 2022 would sound amazing. Have you seen the cap jumps?

11 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The responsible choices at quarterback this offseason, as I see them, are either signing Cousins or trading up in the draft.  And seeing as how we've got a boatload of cap space, I prefer to use it to sign Cousins and keep the draft picks we would've used in a trade up.  

Do you really beleive the "responsible" thing to do is guarantee $150mm to a losing QB? 

It might actually be the single most irresponsible thing any team could do.

Cousins averages over the three years he's been a starter are:

67   Completion %
4392 Yards
27   TD's
12   INT's

Compare them to the averages of Jameis Winston & Marcus Mariota
both who are three year starters as well:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2969939/jameis-winston

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2576980/marcus-mariota

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Cousins averages over the three years he's been a starter are:

67   Completion %
4392 Yards
27   TD's
12   INT's

Compare them to the averages of Jameis Winston & Marcus Mariota
both who are three year starters as well:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2969939/jameis-winston

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2576980/marcus-mariota

Come on, you're better than that.  a sixth year player who has just started the past three years is NOT comparable to third year players - and you know that.

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's absoltely going to be close to that.

Right now the Jets organization - owners, GM, HC - already know what their line is...and it's my guess that $150 for 5 isn't it.

Cousins will be a Jet and the contract will look very similar to that.

$150 mil guaranteed... I agree 5/150 is likely, maybe more.  But premise of this entire thread is fully guaranrteed..... never happen 

If cousins becomes a Jet he will make a boatload of $$$ first 2-3 years of this contract.  This is where all the guaranteed money will be "front loaded." Figure 5 years 160 mil. 80 mil in guarantees paid mostly year 1,2,3 w all this cap space.

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Do you really beleive the "responsible" thing is to do is guarantee $150mm to a losing QB? 

I think you're cherry-picking sentences, failing to grasp (or simply ignoring) context and seemingly blaming Kirk Cousins for the Redskins... how good would they have been if they kept the three first rounders and a second rounder they traded away for RGIII and instead just built a decent roster?  

The Redskins are 24-23-1 over the past three season by the way... what do you think their record would've been without Cousins'?

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2012 24 WAS qb 12 3 1 1-0-0 33 48 68.8 466 4 8.3 3 6.3 77 9.7 8.6 14.1 155.3 101.6 79.0 3 27 8.61 7.53 5.9 1 1 2
2013 25 WAS qb 12 5 3 0-3-0 81 155 52.3 854 4 2.6 7 4.5 62 5.5 4.0 10.5 170.8 58.4 38.8 5 32 5.14 3.67 3.1     -2
2014 26 WAS qb 8 6 5 1-4-0 126 204 61.8 1710 10 4.9 9 4.4 81 8.4 7.4 13.6 285.0 86.4 55.8 8 70 7.74 6.77 3.8     4
2015 27 WAS QB 8 16 16 9-7-0 379 543 69.8 4166 29 5.3 11 2.0 78 7.7 7.8 11.0 260.4 101.6 71.0 26 186 6.99 7.14 4.6 2 3 12
2016* 28 WAS QB 8 16 16 8-7-1 406 606 67.0 4917 25 4.1 12 2.0 80 8.1 8.0 12.1 307.3 97.2 71.7 23 190 7.52 7.45 3.7 4 4 15
2017 29 WAS QB 8 16 16 7-9-0 347 540 64.3 4093 27 5.0 13 2.4 74 7.6 7.5 11.8 255.8 93.9 50.5 41 342 6.46 6.38 7.1 1 4 12
Career       62 57 26-30-1 1372 2096 65.5 16206 99 4.7 55 2.6 81 7.7 7.5 11.8 261.4 93.7   106 847 6.98 6.75 4.8 8 12 43

And yea, I'm not happy about guaranteeing the entirety of Cousins' contract.  That seems extreme, no doubt about it.  But I'm willing to entertain it, maybe even pull the trigger.

What's your plan for getting a quarterback this year?

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Do you really beleive the "responsible" thing to do is guarantee $150mm to a losing QB? 

Matthew Stafford career record:  60-68

Derek Carr career record:  28-34

Using your logic we should be trying to re-sign Sanchez..  He's 41-37

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

No one's putting Sanchez in the ring of honor - but you and many people on this board are already calling this guy the second best QB the Jets have ever had ...

3. No playoff wins
  4. Whose current organization (guys that know him the best) decided that Alex Smith was an upgrade.

It's not just the $30mm (although that's a lot) it's also the opportuhity cost of passing on a real. potential franchise QB.

You are correct on some of your points, but the argument that the Redskins don't want Cousins is pure fallacy. They offered to make him the second highest paid player in NFL history last year with the most guaranteed money for a quarterback ever. He turned them down. Alex Smith is simply a next logical step for their team, not an indictment of Cousins.

I agree with you about annointing him as an all time great Jet too quickly. I would say he's likely the best Jets quarterback since Favre in 2008. He still has much to prove, but I think he has the skill set and chip on his shoulder to do it if you build a good team around him.

13 minutes ago, Pac said:

Matthew Stafford career record:  60-68

Derek Carr career record:  28-34

Using your logic we should be trying to re-sign Sanchez..  He's 41-37

If your aspiration for our organization is the Raiders and Lions then you're 100% correct o want to give a losing QB $150mm

Because Cousins throws for 4,000 - even though he loses.  

It seems a 4,000 yard QB that wins 7-10 games in exactly what the Jets want for the next 5 years.  Honestly, that's about how ambitioous this organization has been.

The Jets....a never ending quest for mediocrity

3. No playoff wins

You can't evaluate a QB based solely his teams record and playoff wins when he's only been a starter for 3 years. Dan Marino didn't win a playoff game in 9 out of his 17 seasons and he's considered to be one of the greatest of all time. Smart people realize that you still need to surround these guys with talent. This year's skins team was terrible and had zero offensive talent after injuries. Last year, with good, but not great talent, cousins passed for nearly 5k yards.