Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yup when I read that Macc "panicked" after the Texans PASSED on Hack in the 2nd round as if that was a secret signal of interest, I knew his time here was numbered.

I actually recently heard Hack was not necessarily a Macc pick and the reality for me was far worse. Yes he was selected under Macc but there was a certain person who pounded the table for him and it wasn't Bowles. The scarier part is that this person is with our organization and could have a serious hand in drafting our next QB.

Reading this thread is what I imagine it would be like to read a transcript of my wife and her friends talking about their periods. The same 10 people in here verbally shedding their uterine lining like they do in every thread about getting a top 10 QB.  The truth is they don't want a competent QB bc that would mean their bitchy schtick wouldn't get as much attention. Go get a tampon, stick it in your smelly bloody vagina mouths and stop derailing every Cousins thread bc you're feeling crampy and bloated. #NoOffense

• Thumb Down 4

12 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Reading this thread is what I imagine it would be like to read a transcript of my wife and her friends talking about their periods. The same 10 people in here verbally shedding their uterine lining like they do in every thread about getting a top 10 QB.  The truth is they don't want a competent QB bc that would mean their bitchy schtick wouldn't get as much attention. Go get a tampon, stick it in your smelly bloody vagina mouths and stop derailing every Cousins thread bc you're feeling crampy and bloated. #NoOffense

So you support the jets giving him a 100% guaranteed contract.

Good to have that on record.

12 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Realistically the Jets' choices at QB are either Kirk Cousins or Josh Allen. 

Rosen is out of reach. Darnold is too (and he sucks anyway). Mayfield is a huge question mark to give up a king's ransom to trade up for.

Which leaves us sitting at #6 with Josh Allen, and his poor accuracy, staring us in the face. I like Lamar Jackson better than pretty much every other QB in this draft, but I'm obviously in the minority in that regard.

So in the end it's a no-brainer. Pay Kirk Cousins a monster salary, and use the draft to build around him. Do it and don't look back.

Darnold is the best qb in the draft and he will prove it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So you support the jets giving him a 100% guaranteed contract.

Good to have that on record.

To my knowledge, a 100% guaranteed contract of this magnitude would be unprecedented. It's a bit of a ridiculous premise and highly unlikely to occur.

For the sake of argument, if it does happen, I would be willing to bet it comes with compromises in other areas. For example, $20 million per year instead of the predicted ~$30 million per year.

28 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I actually recently heard Hack was not necessarily a Macc pick and the reality for me was far worse. Yes he was selected under Macc but there was a certain person who pounded the table for him and it wasn't Bowles. The scarier part is that this person is with our organization and could have a serious hand in drafting our next QB.

Hopefully they've moved on from letting Groundskeeper Willie into the war room.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2018/2/17/17023512/jets-kirk-cousins-fully-guaranteed-contract-broncos

The Denver Broncos and New York Jets are emerging as the serious contenders for Kirk Cousins once free agency begins. The Broncos have the ability to offer Cousins a lucrative contract, but will need to appeal to his desire to win to overcome the massive cap advantage the Jets will hold in these negotiations.

One way they can bring down the Broncos in these sweepstakes is to offer Cousins a fully guaranteed contract.

According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, league sources believe the Jets could offer Cousins a 4-6 year fully guaranteed contract to sway him to sign with them.

With Cousins rocketing toward the open market (efforts by his current team to conjure up a way to trade him notwithstanding), the question becomes whether the next contract he signs will be fully guaranteed, for the full duration of its four, five, or six years.

One team already is being pegged in league circles as having the willingness to do it: The Jets. If the Jets will do it, other suitors for Cousins may have no choice but to follow suit.     

John Elway has a tendency to avoid big cap issues beyond 2-3 years, so he might balk at offering a deal like this to Cousins as the fully guaranteed aspect of the contract in years 4-6 could/would impact the cap in ways the Broncos may not like. 

So I’m assuming Florio’s source is Cousins agent here.  If not this team is stupider then I thought which is pretty hard to top my current thoughts on their stupidness.

• Thumb Down 1

35 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Realistically the Jets' choices at QB are either Kirk Cousins or Josh Allen. 

Rosen is out of reach. Darnold is too (and he sucks anyway). Mayfield is a huge question mark to give up a king's ransom to trade up for.

Which leaves us sitting at #6 with Josh Allen, and his poor accuracy, staring us in the face. I like Lamar Jackson better than pretty much every other QB in this draft, but I'm obviously in the minority in that regard.

So in the end it's a no-brainer. Pay Kirk Cousins a monster salary, and use the draft to build around him. Do it and don't look back.

No, just no. There are so many reasons this is a bad move, even horrible move for any team, and a shocking number of red flags for even considering this guy. I hate McClown but Id rather have him back for Bowles and Macs last year rather than completely screwing over our future with this boat anchor. A QB WILL drop to us maybe more than one and trading to 3 or 1 should not be so prohibitive as to not consider it, if you think he is a franchise guy. Cousins is the ultimate stay mediocre move. It makes my stomach turn.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, choon328 said:

????YOU’VE BEEN HIT BY??

???YOU’VE BEEN STRUCK BY??

???A CHOON CRIMINAL??

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No, just no. There are so many reasons this is a bad move, even horrible move for any team, and a shocking number of red flags for even considering this guy. I hate McClown but Id rather have him back for Bowles and Macs last year rather than completely screwing over our future with this boat anchor. A QB WILL drop to us maybe more than one and trading to 3 or 1 should not be so prohibitive as to not consider it, if you think he is a franchise guy. Cousins is the ultimate stay mediocre move. It makes my stomach turn.

Which QB do you think we should draft? And not Rosen, because that's pie in the sky b.s. that isn't realistic. Name the QB.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m choosing to believe that this is just Cousins’ agent grinding out an extra guaranteed year from Elway. 

Let's hope you're right. Giving one guy that percentage of your cap for that length of time is worse than anything Idzick ever did. Man I hope Macc isn't that stupid. Unfortunately I think he is.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

We shouldn't draft Allen because his low completion percentage won't improve in the pros, but somehow Darnold's turnover rate will.

actually, it can/will and is 100x more correctable. Poor example on your part. 

Also, i hear what you're saying about our options. Not saying you're wrong, but it's not as black and white as you're illustrating. We could trade up to #2 tomorrow if we wanted to. NYG would sell us the #2 pick if the ransom was high enough. Just like "fully guaranteed", there's a draft version of all in as well. 

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Which QB do you think we should draft? And not Rosen, because that's pie in the sky b.s. that isn't realistic. Name the QB.

Again, appreciate the position you're taking, but it's not that black and white man. 

First of all, it's Feb. Combine hasn't even happened. Yes, there's versions of reality that Rosen doesn't go in the top 2. If Mayfield goes #1 (which you should start to accept is a possibility), then all bets are off with NYG and everything else. If we WANTED to, we can have one of the top 3 at IND's pick. 

We're in the thick of act #2 right now. Still a ways to go till climax.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You have to be kidding me. You're in favor of committing that much money and cap space to a guy who hasn't won a thing? On a team that has a shell of an offensive line, no every down RB, and not to mention a WR group that is so thin dental floss could cover them. That's only the problems on the offensive side of the ball. Get your head out of your azz and actually think before you post. Jesus H Christ.image.png

6 hours ago, Philc1 said:

You’re right but after Petty and Hack what confidence should jet fans have in a) their ability to evaluate college qbs and b. Develop those qbs

Understood, but what this also indicates is that perhaps THEY don't have confidence in their own scouts. They are gutless but perfect for a rudderless franchise. It sux.

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I think you're cherry-picking sentences, failing to grasp (or simply ignoring) context and seemingly blaming Kirk Cousins for the Redskins... how good would they have been if they kept the three first rounders and a second rounder they traded away for RGIII and instead just built a decent roster?  

The Redskins are 24-23-1 over the past three season by the way... what do you think their record would've been without Cousins'?

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2012 24 WAS qb 12 3 1 1-0-0 33 48 68.8 466 4 8.3 3 6.3 77 9.7 8.6 14.1 155.3 101.6 79.0 3 27 8.61 7.53 5.9 1 1 2
2013 25 WAS qb 12 5 3 0-3-0 81 155 52.3 854 4 2.6 7 4.5 62 5.5 4.0 10.5 170.8 58.4 38.8 5 32 5.14 3.67 3.1     -2
2014 26 WAS qb 8 6 5 1-4-0 126 204 61.8 1710 10 4.9 9 4.4 81 8.4 7.4 13.6 285.0 86.4 55.8 8 70 7.74 6.77 3.8     4
2015 27 WAS QB 8 16 16 9-7-0 379 543 69.8 4166 29 5.3 11 2.0 78 7.7 7.8 11.0 260.4 101.6 71.0 26 186 6.99 7.14 4.6 2 3 12
2016* 28 WAS QB 8 16 16 8-7-1 406 606 67.0 4917 25 4.1 12 2.0 80 8.1 8.0 12.1 307.3 97.2 71.7 23 190 7.52 7.45 3.7 4 4 15
2017 29 WAS QB 8 16 16 7-9-0 347 540 64.3 4093 27 5.0 13 2.4 74 7.6 7.5 11.8 255.8 93.9 50.5 41 342 6.46 6.38 7.1 1 4 12
Career       62 57 26-30-1 1372 2096 65.5 16206 99 4.7 55 2.6 81 7.7 7.5 11.8 261.4 93.7   106 847 6.98 6.75 4.8 8 12 43

The cousins tiger beat club has got to stop beating the rest of us over the head with his fcking yards and completion %.... We get it. We all get it; he put up numbers... so what? Fitz did it too a couple times. It's not enough to warrant the red fully guaranteed carpet. 

(this isn't all specifically directed at you) 

This stat tables don't tell the whole story. Like why couldn't they win? The NFC EAST has been a putrid pile of discharge for the majority of Cousins starting career. Why couldn't he capitalize on that? Are you really going to chalk his paltry record to everything that's out of his hands? Cmoooon. we all know that's bullsh*t. the good ones win. They just do. Why couldn't he close games. 

You could look at Chris Thompson's record on the field, and he's 80% of the reason WSH won any games last year. 

There's more going on that your table captures. Magical ponies don't wind up on the FA wire

58 minutes ago, Paradis said:

actually, it can/will and is 100x more correctable. Poor example on your part. 

Also, i hear what you're saying about our options. Not saying you're wrong, but it's not as black and white as you're illustrating. We could trade up to #2 tomorrow if we wanted to. NYG would sell us the #2 pick if the ransom was high enough. Just like "fully guaranteed", there's a draft version of all in as well. 

Of course there is. However each QB in this draft has huge worts, some worse than others. Rosen has a concussion history and there are questions about his dedication to the game, Darnold's go-to receiver is the other team, Allen couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat, and Mayfield is an oompa loompa with an attitude problem. 

The safe bet is Cousins. You know what you're getting with him. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

The cousins tiger beat club has got to stop beating the rest of us over the head with his fcking yards and completion %.... We get it. We all get it; he put up numbers... so what? Fitz did it too a couple times. It's not enough to warrant the red fully guaranteed carpet. 

(this isn't all specifically directed at you) 

This stat tables don't tell the whole story. Like why couldn't they win? The NFC EAST has been a putrid pile of discharge for the majority of Cousins starting career. Why couldn't he capitalize on that? Are you really going to chalk his paltry record to everything that's out of his hands? Cmoooon. we all know that's bullsh*t. the good ones win. They just do. Why couldn't he close games. 

You could look at Chris Thompson's record on the field, and he's 80% of the reason WSH won any games last year. 

There's more going on that your table captures. Magical ponies don't wind up on the FA wire

The Official Cousins Tiger Beat Club will respond to all of your faulty arguments;

a. Statistics for a quarterback are important; I don't see why I should ignore them?

b. How would the Redskins roster look if they didn't trade away three firsts and a second for RGIII?  Do you think that affected their competitiveness?  Redskins are 24-23-1 the past three years btw, what do you think their record would be during that time with Josh McCown or Ryan Fitzpatrick?  

c. The Eagles won the super bowl this year.  Dallas was 13-3 last year with the best offensive line in the league coupled with the emergence of Dak and Zeke (Giants were 11-5 last year too, with a ridiculous defense).  Two years ago, Cousin's first full season as a starter, the Redskins won the division @ 9-7.  

d. Magical ponies don't normally wind up being free agents, so we should ignore the best free agent quarterback to ever hit the open market?  Brees was coming off a shoulder injury when he hit the open market, plus he wasn't really the Drew Brees yet.  Peyton was pushing 40 with a serious neck injury and diminished skills when he hit the market.  This is uncharted territory... don't be afraid.  

Yea I'm not advocating to guarantee the entirety of the guy's contract.  Most likely this is a silly rumor by florio or a leak by Cousins' agent.  But I'll entertain it anyway because The Official Cousins Tiger Beat Club observes that we pick @ 6 and there are three teams ahead of us that need qb's... but we happen to have a f***load of cap space.  

• Upvote 1