Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

I think the majority of hate for Cousins is the fact that they want Bowles and Macc to fail. Bringing in Cousins and surrounding him with talent could theoretically get us in the playoffs. That would put a wrench in the plans of the "Fire everybody" contingent

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Put these two post together and you got how I feel about the situation. Thanks Guys good looking out. 

I wouldn’t trust Macc and Bowles to pick and train a puppy let alone a potential franchise QB. 

Spot on Post. 

I am not a cap expert but with $100m In cap space could the Jets sign Cousins for a record deal but front load the cap hit in 2018 and 2019 (especially in 2018)? 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The best option is that they employ a short term fix so you can fire them both and let the next GM pick his QB.

I don't care who the coach or GM are, or who the starting QB is I just want to watch a winner. The fact that you and others would rather they lose to get rid of a coach and GM speaks to your lousiness as a fan of the team. 

Optimum situation would have been for Woody to clean house.  Have a new GM, and HC in here with all this cap space, and the second pick in the draft.  Pick a young QB, and build from there.

Sadly that's not where the Jets are at.  Jets went for the max wins last year and have the 6th pick in the draft.  More then likely just out of reach of the top 4 QB's with out giving away 2 years of draft capital.  To risky to hope one of the QB's falls, and come away empty handed.

At this point IMO the only real choice is to go all in on Cousins, and hope he won't take a lesser offer to avoid playing in NY.  Do what it takes.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Spot on Post. 

I am not a cap expert but with $100m In cap space could the Jets sign Cousins for a record deal but front load the cap hit in 2018 and 2019 (especially in 2018)? 

If you see an all guaranteed contract it most certainly will be a 5 yr $100 million contract. $100 million guaranteed is in line with what QB's are getting now. There would no fluff on it. I can deal with $20 million per year for the next 5 seasons for the numbers he's been putting up.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Not to disregard your post too much, but what you’re saying, in summary, is that the Jets are literally the only team in the NFL who think that Kirk Cousins is worth what they’re about to pay him. This is like when Maccagnan traded for Brandon Marshall and gave him a million dollar raise for absolutely no reason.

I think you are taking too many liberties with my assumption.  AZ, Buf, Jax would take Cousins and pay him.  They just don’t have the cap space to make it work.

Cle is going to offer Cousins a similar deal to what the Jets are rumored to offer.  But keeping a HC That has gone 1-31 over the last two seasons is a deal breaker.  Add Todd Haley and all the issues that seem to follow him (between him and his QBs) the Browns are exponentially more disfunctional than the Skins.

I think Min would consider it, but with Defilpo the new OC in Minny, he may want to prove his ability by taking Keenum to the next level.  It got Shurmur a HC job.

And Den and their players absolutely want Cousins.  But the team currently doesn’t have enough cap space to sign Cousins.  Let alone their draft, all their current free agents, etc.  They would have to cut several veterans just to compete with the Jets offer.

And since you brought up Marshall, he not only had the greatest season of any WR in Jets history, he was arguably the best WR in the league in 2015.

• Sympathy 1

The chances of cutting a franchise QB are slim to none so a guaranteed contract to land one is not that crazy of an idea.

If we cut down the salary to say 28mil or less, and barring a catastrophic injury, this contract would have a good chance of looking like a real bargain in 3 years. 

It all comes down to whether or not you believe he's a franchise QB or not. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

On the plus side, Maccagnan is going to waste those draft picks anyway. 

Cousins and Nelson are the safetest scenario for Macc to make. He has it written on his bathroom mirror next to his “ you are the success you deserve” mantra. I put my grocery list in the same spot in my mirror. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I can't believe people aren't seeing this for what it is. Snyder was an RG3 guy & Shannahan was on Cousins side. Snyder FIRED Cousins pseudo dad. Cousins refused to commit long term to a guy he didn't like. Why do you think he said, "I want to go to a place that I'm wanted". 

Think about the numbers this guy put up with all of the turmoil in DC in those 3 years. They also dealt with an incredible amount of injuries during that period. Plus they completely revamped their entire WR group too! Have you seen Tom Brady when he deals with "new" WRs? He screams at them for not being in the right place. Drop balls & he won't even look at you.

They went from Garçon & Jackson, to a bunch of Jags & Reed playing injured plus they literally went through 3 RBs!Their Oline was shuffled the 2nd most in the league 2nd to only Seattle. Cousins is moving into HIS PRIME! He almost threw for 5000 yards once. We have a chance to get a ready made QB in his prime, add a stud RB like Sony Michel, a free agent center & guard or draft a guard or center, sign a CB & a free agent WR. 

Like Pcola said above, you pray any of these rookies become as good as Cousins. 6-7 years of the same QB with Bates & Dennison? Sign me up, in fact I'm going to be very disappointed if Kirk does not choose the Jets. 

I think it goes deeper than Cousins being upset they fired Shanahan.  Gruden went to Colt McCoy and started him over Cousins.  Then Cousins finally got the chance to start, and played exceptionally well on his last year of his rookie contract. 

The GM worked out a modest 3 - year deal for Cousins, nothing like the franchise tag.  Cousins signed it.  But Snyder wouldn’t sign it.  So from that point on, Cousins refused to negotiate with him.  Hence Washing making an offer last year that was never responded to.

If given the choice, any fan would prefer to draft a Carson Wentz and have him develop into a top 5 QB his second year of a very cost controlled contract.

Problem is our front office, ownership, and fans won’t accept a full rebuild where we end up picking at the top of the draft.  We were headed there and then we sign McCown, and trade for Kearse which without both, we would be picking #1.

So with Darnold and Rosen now pipe dreams without giving up the next three drafts, we have a choice to go after a seasoned vet.  One that would be good enough and young enough to lead the Jets for the next 10 years.  One that would own every record imaginable all while being a playoff contender/participant every year.  

Or draft what ever QB is left over.  One who because of the draft status, be our starter who could very well be worse than Mark Sanchez.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

BTW, the “is a rookie gonna come in and put up 4,000 yards with 31 TDs and 15 INTs next year?” argument is the same one the organization used to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Yeah, and the rookie in the equation at that time was named Christian Hackenberg.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I hope your right. We have people talking about TRADING UP to 3 for Baker Mayfield but they don't want to pay Cousins 30 million. Those draft picks you give up are the lower contracts you need to fill out your roster. Which means you then have to sign free agents to fill those draft spots you lose. Free agents are much more expensive than draft picks.

Plus, why are people freaking out about a guaranteed contract? He's a QB that has proven himself. 5 year guarantee with an injury clause? What do you care? They could front load most of it say 45-50 million in 2018. They would still have enough money for 4-5 free agents depending on who they are targeting, especially at Center & Guard, positions that are not super high compared to CB, LT. 

A guaranteed contract to a player with a shelf life of about 10 more seasons.  We’re not talking about a 28 year old corner, receiver, or RB.  5ere are just too many QBs in this league playing into their late 30’s and 40’s.  Let’s solve this and be a consistent contender for the next ten years.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If Cousins plays in NY as well as he played in DC

We have had 2 QB’s play just as well as Cousins did in 2015 sh*tzpatrick, and 2017 Josh McCown stats wise.  So yeah no thanks at 30 million, and/or fully guaranteed contract.  Josh McCown had a better statistical year with equal, or worse talent, AND a much sh*ttier HC, and I also have zero interest in.bringing McCown back as a Starting QB option, I’d love him as the backup if Bowles wasn’t the HC, but you just know Bowles would name him the starter if we bring him back with a young QB regardless of the so called plan because he has no interest in going through the proper growing pains that come with a top 10 young QB, and both him (for the reason I just explained), and Macc for enabling this coaching behavior should both have been fired, at the very least Bowles should have been let go, and Macc given a chance to pick a HC willing to go through the draft your own QB, and go through the process.

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The best option is that they employ a short term fix so you can fire them both and let the next GM pick his QB.

Yes they should have been fired, but they weren't. So we're stuck with them, like it or not. 

So our options are:

A ) We trust Mac to pick the right rookie QB while Bowles develops him. Good luck with that.

Or 

B )  We pay a lot of money for a QB someone else already developed.

Considering the situation we're in, option B is considerably more palatable

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The ironic silver lining of signing Cousins to a huge deal is that we simply don't have a lot of young talent that we'll need to resign within the next four years anyway. Paying Flacco screwed the Ravens because they had a Super Bowl caliber roster and they had to let tons of talent walk because they were paying a middling QB 25 million a year. Who are we paying? Outside of Leonard Williams I can't think of one guy on the roster who will command a big contract within the next few years.

The real key to signing Cousins is that we have to start nailing draft picks. Actually the real key to succeeding in the NFL is nailing draft picks in general...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The ironic silver lining of signing Cousins to a huge deal is that we simply don't have a lot of young talent that we'll need to resign within the next four years anyway. Paying Flacco screwed the Ravens because they had a Super Bowl caliber roster and they had to let tons of talent walk because they were paying a middling QB 25 million a year. Who are we paying? Outside of Leonard Williams I can't think of one guy on the roster who will command a big contract within the next few years.

The real key to signing Cousins is that we have to start nailing draft picks. Actually the real key to succeeding in the NFL is nailing draft picks in general...

Give him a 5 year deal, front load the first 3 years....this isnt revis he isnt going to ask to renegotiate after year 3.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I think you are taking too many liberties with my assumption.  AZ, Buf, Jax would take Cousins and pay him.  They just don’t have the cap space to make it work.

Cle is going to offer Cousins a similar deal to what the Jets are rumored to offer.  But keeping a HC That has gone 1-31 over the last two seasons is a deal breaker.  Add Todd Haley and all the issues that seem to follow him (between him and his QBs) the Browns are exponentially more disfunctional than the Skins.

I think Min would consider it, but with Defilpo the new OC in Minny, he may want to prove his ability by taking Keenum to the next level.  It got Shurmur a HC job.

And Den and their players absolutely want Cousins.  But the team currently doesn’t have enough cap space to sign Cousins.  Let alone their draft, all their current free agents, etc.  They would have to cut several veterans just to compete with the Jets offer.

And since you brought up Marshall, he not only had the greatest season of any WR in Jets history, he was arguably the best WR in the league in 2015.

How can you say the Browns situation with Haley is unstable, but the Jets situation with a guy who was on the Appalachian Trail for four years when they hired him isn’t? Haley and Hue Jackson are well-regarded offensive coordinators, while we have a HC with a similarly abysmal record who thinks the problem with the offense was not getting Matt Forte enough carries? 

As as far as the Broncos cap situation, they have no outstanding free agents they need to re-sign and they have roughly $35 million in cap space (with their carryover) and are about to open up another $20 mil by dumping Aqib Talib and Emmanuel Sanders. If they wanted, they could open up ~$7 mil more by dumping the washed-up Derek Wolfe. If they want Cousins, they can pay him. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Yes they should have been fired, but they weren't. So we're stuck with them, like it or not. 

So our options are:

A ) We trust Mac to pick the right rookie QB while Bowles develops him. Good luck with that.

Or 

C) Let Bowles draft Minkah, allow carnage to ensue, hit reset in 10 months

The premise of this article is stupid but so are the Jets, so who knows? 

The Jets have cap room this year, that doesn't mean they're going to be in great cap shape 4-6 years from now. What they can do is comfortably fit $50M of Cousins' potential contract under the 2018 cap. That's a win-win move for the Jets, who'd be reducing their cap costs on the contract in the future while enticing Cousins with a sh!t-ton of money in the first year of the deal. Denver can't give him that kind of money up front without spreading it out over the life of the deal in the form of a huge bonus. So it would not surprise me if the Jets offered Cousins more than $100M guaranteed over the first three years of a deal. They should not offer any guarantees beyond that, but this is the GM who let himself get completely hosed by Ryan Fitzpatrick so anything's possible. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

The premise of this article is stupid but so are the Jets, so who knows? 

The Jets have cap room this year, that doesn't mean they're going to be in great cap shape 4-6 years from now. What they can do is comfortably fit $50M of Cousins' potential contract under the 2018 cap. That's a win-win move for the Jets, who'd be reducing their cap costs on the contract in the future while enticing Cousins with a sh!t-ton of money in the first year of the deal. Denver can't give him that kind of money up front without spreading it out over the life of the deal in the form of a huge bonus. So it would not surprise me if the Jets offered Cousins more than $100M guaranteed over the first three years of a deal. They should not offer any guarantees beyond that, but this is the GM who let himself get completely hosed by Ryan Fitzpatrick so anything's possible. 

Yeah, my intitial reaction was that this was just some dopey thing Florio heard somewhere and then this picture popped into my head and I started panicking.

58A29318-B57F-4262-AA7A-4C0DE946DB10.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

We have had 2 QB’s play just as well as Cousins did in 2015 sh*tzpatrick, and 2017 Josh McCown stats wise.  So yeah no thanks at 30 million, and/or fully guaranteed contract.  Josh McCown had a better statistical year with equal, or worse talent, AND a much sh*ttier HC......

I stopped reading when you basically said Cousins = McCown.:blink:

I don't see a solution here on your side, just complaints.  Factually inaccurate complaints IMO.

25 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

So our options are:

Or 

And what? We need 8-10 games a year for the next 5 years - go to the playoffs once - and lose in the first round?

That seems to be what many fans here are happy with - you role the dice - and draft a franchise QB, and you have 15 years to build a team around him.

On the plus side, Maccagnan is going to waste those draft picks anyway. 

Yup - well sort of...

People keep saying you'll have to give up three years drafts...it'll cost us, at most - our 2 2nd's -

Look at what our 2nd rounders produced over the past decade -

Draft your choice at 3 - spend the $100 on a one WR and then all OL...draft a RB in the 3rd.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Factually inaccurate complaints IMO.

Last year stat wise it’s not factually incorrect, compare the 2 McCown was the better QB stats wise.  Every god damn argument for pro giving Cousins crazy money to sign here starts, and ends with his stats, and has zero to do with look how much he won, and carried a team on his back, if I’m paying 30 million that god damn MFer better be able to Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady any roster to the playoffs, and neither of those 2 guys make anywhere near Cousins future price tag so sorry can’t get behind it for 30 million, and/or fully guaranteed deal.  At a reasonable fair market price for what your getting with Cousins somewhere around 20 million per where you can get out of it Year 3 without crazy Cap dead money hit sure I’m in, and you better still draft a QB early in this draft, otherwise no thanks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

I think the majority of hate for Cousins is the fact that they want Bowles and Macc to fail. Bringing in Cousins and surrounding him with talent could theoretically get us in the playoffs. That would put a wrench in the plans of the "Fire everybody" contingent

Some of us feel they failed already. They earned whatever loss in confidence this fan base feels. “Winning cures all ills.” If they make the playoffs attitudes will change.  But make no mistake they are playing from behind with this fan base and they earned it. You act like the frustration with Macc and Bowles is unwarranted. It’s not. I honestly don’t think Cousins is coming here. Wish he would but I don’t see it. Them picking and grooming a young QB in the draft should shake the core of every Jet fan out there. If it doesn’t then I guess the Zoloft is working. 

• Sympathy 2

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

How can you say the Browns situation with Haley is unstable, but the Jets situation with a guy who was on the Appalachian Trail for four years when they hired him isn’t? Haley and Hue Jackson are well-regarded offensive coordinators, while we have a HC with a similarly abysmal record who thinks the problem with the offense was not getting Matt Forte enough carries? 

As as far as the Broncos cap situation, they have no outstanding free agents they need to re-sign and they have roughly $35 million in cap space (with their carryover) and are about to open up another $20 mil by dumping Aqib Talib and Emmanuel Sanders. If they wanted, they could open up ~$7 mil more by dumping the washed-up Derek Wolfe. If they want Cousins, they can pay him. 

There is no denying that Cleveland is 11 months from firing Hue Jackson.  Right now there is no guarantee that they keep any of the staff.  Regardless, Cousins would have to learn a new offense this year and possibly next year.  Where with the Jets will be running the same offense he has run his entire career.

And Denver, if I’m mistaken won 4 or 5games last year.  And to improve their situation and add Cousins, they become worse at corner and WR.  They have not drafted very well recently and the roster shows it.

The Jets can add Cousins, improve their OL and CB via Free agency, and still have a top 6pick where we can take Barkley, Chubb, or Edmunds, and don’t have to decide between Allen and Mayfield.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pcola said:

There is no denying that Cleveland is 11 months from firing Hue Jackson.  Right now there is no guarantee that they keep any of the staff.  Regardless, Cousins would have to learn a new offense this year and possibly next year.  Where with the Jets will be running the same offense he has run his entire career.

And Denver, if I’m mistaken won 4 or 5games last year.  And to improve their situation and add Cousins, they become worse at corner and WR.  They have not drafted very well recently and the roster shows it.

The Jets can add Cousins, improve their OL and CB via Free agency, and still have a top 6pick where we can take Barkley, Chubb, or Edmunds, and don’t have to decide between Allen and Mayfield.

Exactly.  Denver would have to cut with Sanders and or Demariyus Thomas to sign Cousins.  Makes no sense for them

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Exactly.  Denver would have to cut with Sanders and or Demariyus Thomas to sign Cousins.  Makes no sense for them

To be honest, it makes sense for them, just not to Cousins.  Elway gets way too much credit for lucking up and taking Von Miller and having Manning sign there as a free agent.  

As much as he gets credit for letting Osweiler go, he did offer him a huge contract after watching him for several years in practice and in games.  He is the most overrated GM in the league and what’s great is that he will be there GM as long as he wants based on the SBs that Terrell Davis and Von Miller won for him.

Their roster has peaked and needs an overhaul.  

Jets with Cousins > Denver with Cousins.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

yep but on the other hand he got career years out two jags in fitz and mccown.  so maybe cousins would do even better as a jet.

question?? cousins is a proven 4,000+ guy entering his prime..

would you envision bowles giving cousins the freedom to continue to put up those kind of yards?? i don't but I'm cool with that.. because if bowles tries to make the highest paid player in the league a glorifed game manager, he will be setting himself up to get fired before the end of next season.. & i'm definitely cool with that..

time to stop living in the past & bring in a dynamic offensive minded HC.. we are long over due.....

7 minutes ago, Pcola said:

To be honest, it makes sense for them, just not to Cousins.  Elway gets way too much credit for lucking up and taking Von Miller and having Manning sign there as a free agent.  

As much as he gets credit for letting Osweiler go, he did offer him a huge contract after watching him for several years in practice and in games.  He is the most overrated GM in the league and what’s great is that he will be there GM as long as he wants based on the SBs that Terrell Davis and Von Miller won for him.

Their roster has peaked and needs an overhaul.  

Jets with Cousins > Denver with Cousins.

I agree with you. It cracks me up that people are like, Denver is a lock for Cousins because they're better, what? They lost 8 games in a row & Talib, who they need to cut played his azz off last year, lol. Our QB won 2 games in two years, how can anyone prove he's better than Simian or Osweiller? 2 WRs over 30 years old? While we have enough money to go after younger guys like Landry or Robinson? Denvers window has closed! You show me a team that has won a Super Bowl after losing EIGHT GAMES STRAIGHT the year before in the NFL. I want a see it.

14 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You can't evaluate a QB based solely his teams record and playoff wins when he's only been a starter for 3 years. Dan Marino didn't win a playoff game in 9 out of his 17 seasons and he's considered to be one of the greatest of all time. Smart people realize that you still need to surround these guys with talent. This year's skins team was terrible and had zero offensive talent after injuries. Last year, with good, but not great talent, cousins passed for nearly 5k yards. 

Yards per year seems like the only stat people can use to justify this turd. It can be a VERY deceptive stat.

Signing Cousins is the dumbest possible thing the Jets can do in their current situation. 

• Upvote 1