Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

last year's stats in no way prove that Cousins = McCown.  Your whole argument is premised on that fallacy.  Just stop with that.  Plenty of other good reasons not to want Cousins.  But *that* is not one of them.  You know as well as the rest of us that last year was an aberration for McCown (just like Fitz's 30 TD year was for him).  Cousins is way better than McCown, so the minute you post that they are the same, all credibility is forfeited.

Cousins has had as many good seasons in his career as McCown 2, who says those 2 seasons are not aberrations?  I’ve never seen one god damn thing from Cousins that says damn that guy is a winner pay that man, NOTHING, it’s all based on passing yards inflated by a league that lets Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Josh McCown throw for 4K yards, or on pace to without missing final few games.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

For posterity, what is the SMARTEST thing the Jets could do in their current situation (at QB)?

Not signing Cousins is the SMARTEST thing the Jets can do. It is totally wrong for this team. It is a desperate move, with the best upside being that we will be mediocre.  People thinking that Cousins is going to continue those numbers here is idiotic. Going from a super offensive minded coach that is pass happy to Todd "we need to run more" Bowles is not going to enhance Cousins as a player. The Run up the middle-run up the middle-3rd and long offense Bowles wants to run does not lead to gaudy QB stats. Passing a LOT, especially when behind like Redskins were against soft zone pads stats like Cousins has.

It is impossible for me to know what is the going to be the best move long term since we dont know how these players are going to turn out. However I think all of these strategies are better. I would look to actually get TWO QB prospects in this coming year. As it stands we have NO QB at all.

1.  Go get the #1 pick. I think Cleveland would trade it. It would cost a ton of draft equity, but if you are convinced that the QB is going to be an Elite franchise guy the price does not matter. This also requires almost all draft equity in this years and next tears draft to be on offense 

2. Sign a different veteran such as McCarron or Keenum both of whom will likely perform similar to Cousins, still be super expensive but much less so than Cousins. Then draft a QB in first if you can get your guy, or draft a guy like Falk, Lauletta or White (i was pretty impressed with White in the Senior Bowl)

3 Take a flyer on Jackson maybe by trading down a few spots and then take a second guy like Falk, Lauletta or White. 

4. Go get the #3 pick and draft your guy. Pick another in a later round, and draft offense.

5. Wait for the draft to come to you. I think the QBs are so divisive this year that I think at least one of the Top guys maybe more will be there at 6 Did we expect Carr or Bridgewater to be there? And they were in a much less crowded top of the QB class. All of these QBs have some pretty big question mark that will push them down on many draft boards. 

I think any of those are better scenarios. I like Mayfield a lot, I think he could be the guy and I think we may get him at 6 or could trade up. I would also draft a second guy. 

Signing Cousins is the completely risk averse option for a team that wants to be mediocre. It fits the Jets, so I can totally see it happening, though I actually think odds are higher he goes to Minny, Arizona or Buffalo before us.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Lupz27 said:

Cousins has had as many good seasons in his career as McCown 2, who says those 2 seasons are not aberrations?  I’ve never seen one god damn thing from Cousins that says damn that guy is a winner pay that man, NOTHING, it’s all based on passing yards inflated by a league that lets Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Josh McCown throw for 4K yards, or on pace to without missing final few games.

No, it's not "all" based on any one thing specifically.  You are making that up.

Fact: Washington was a 3-4 win team before Cousins became full time starter.  8-9 wins the next 2 years and only 7 this past year with Terrelle Pryor being his #1 WR, no Pierre Garcon, Matt Jones as his #1 RB, Reed benched with injuries almost the entire season, his best weapon, Chris Thompson, with a season ending injury and a mediocre defense.   Lifting that team from 3-4 wins to 8-9 is entirely because of the QB and nothing else.  Imagine how much more improvement there could have and would have been if Snyder and Bruce Allen had actually surrounded him with decent talent.  Terelle Pryor just flat out sucks and he was their answer to the loss of Garcon?  ugh.  Matt Jones at RB?  double ugh.  His two ONLY weapons were in wheel chairs for most/part of the season (Reed out almost every game and later CHris Thompson's injury which sealed the Redskins chance of sniffing the playoffs.

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Washington: 3-4 wins in the 2 years prior to Cousins starting. 8-9 wins the 2 years after, with a WR group that was absolutely horrid and worse than that of the Jets. (Terrelle Pryor....  really?) His ONLY 2 weapons were Chris Thompson and Jordan Reed, who plays in fewer than 50% of the games.  Just putrid.  The Washington defense is no help either. 

We could spin yarn all day comparing rosters - my position will never change; WSH has had better playmakers than the Jets. For 1 season Marshall/Decker put it together. that;s it. Crowder, Jackson, Reed, Garcon, Thompson, Doctson, Paul -- like are you kidding? HIS TEAM WASN'T THAT BAD.

Kirk Cousins is a good QB. I hope you don't think I'm dense. If things were different here, and Macc hadn't drafted dogsh*t for the last 3 years, it be might the perfect marriage. I think we need to start from the bottom, and trade up for a franchise QB... if we sign cousins, so be it. But where's the line in the sand if a fully guaranteed contract isn't the straw? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Hypothetically, if the Jest signed Cousins and Landry or A. Robinson and then trade down with a team that wants a QB and use the 12-18th pick in the draft to select a tackle/Guard, use one of the 2 2nd round picks to draft one of the highly touted RBs and use the rest of the picks to address other needs, you'd be upset? We could instantly have a top 10 offense (if not better) and an offense that wouldn't be a 1 year wonder, it would be good for a long time. 

Signing Cousins in a vacuum for a team that was just rebuilding is dumb. Signing Cousins  and building a talented offense around him if you think the defense is ready to take the next step (with more minor tweaks) is actually a really good idea. 

The Jags went from laughing stock to Super Bowl Contenders over night with some free agent pick ups and that was with Bortles as their QB. 

Couldnt you literally replace Cousins with Keenum or McCarron or a draft pick and say pretty much the same thing?

54 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Lol let’s put words in my mouth to prove a point that isn’t even remotely close to the conversation.  Read my ******* posts I don’t want nothing to do with anyone like McCown EVER!!!!!!  Not as a starting QB, and I’m not paying the perennial 7-9 Kirk Cousins, **** off with your other nonsense, it’s ******* jibberish, and has nothing to do with anything I said, reading is fundamental.

your entire argument is premised by your comparison of McCown & Fitzpatrick to Cousins.  2 bandaids near the end of their careers vs a starting QB in his prime.  Until you shed this ridiculous analogy, how can anyone take your argument seriously?

• Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

geez you keep saying this.  I guess if you say it often enough, this unsupported assumption of yours will magically transform into fact. 

• Thumb Down 1

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

We could spin yarn all day comparing rosters - my position will never change; WSH has had better playmakers than the Jets. For 1 season Marshall/Decker put it together. that;s it. Crowder, Jackson, Reed, Garcon, Thompson, Doctson, Paul -- like are you kidding? HIS TEAM WASN'T THAT BAD.

Kirk Cousins is a good QB. I hope you don't think I'm dense. If things were different here, and Macc hadn't drafted dogsh*t for the last 3 years, it be might the perfect marriage. I think we need to start from the bottom, and trade up for a franchise QB... if we sign cousins, so be it. But where's the line in the sand if a fully guaranteed contract isn't the straw? 

They dumped Garcon for Terrell Pryor.  How'd that turn out?  Thompson is not now, and never was, the starting RB.  He's a very good player in his "Leon Washington" scat back role.   I wish the Jets had him instead of Powell.  But don't make him out to be the end all.  Doing so only just supports the idea that the Redskins offensive roster was abysmal.  Reed has played in fewer than 50% of the games Cousins has started.  Doctson is complete bust so far. Crowder is a JAG. Jackson and Garcon were released and the Cousin's 8-9 wins dropped  to 7.  The OL isn't very good.  Seriously, if you think the Redskins roster is all that better than the Jets, then you are delusional.

• Thumb Down 1

To be clear, I am not a supporter necessarily of signing Cousins for a big contract.  I am just resigned to the fact that is what the Jets will do because they gave MacBowles extensions.  

Once they gave MacBowles extensions, the likelihood that they try and draft and develop a QB, regardless of how high a pick, became very low.  The call was Mahomes last year with development.  Darnold needs work, Rosen is too complicated, Allen is too uncertain, and Mayfield is Mayfield.  

Mayfield is the likely plan b.

1 hour ago, jetgreen13 said:

question?? cousins is a proven 4,000+ guy entering his prime..

would you envision bowles giving cousins the freedom to continue to put up those kind of yards?? i don't but I'm cool with that.. because if bowles tries to make the highest paid player in the league a glorifed game manager, he will be setting himself up to get fired before the end of next season.. & i'm definitely cool with that..

time to stop living in the past & bring in a dynamic offensive minded HC.. we are long over due.....

the thing is, like it or not, the ball control game is about the best type of game to have when confronting passing teams.  i'm sure you know that.  and as much as we'd like to see cousins or the next qb be able to put up 4000 yds, it's the threat that, imo, will be valuable.  i think the whole descriptions of game manager versus passer get a little over blown.  every successful qb has had to manage the game and they do that by making the right throws.  you know, keep the chains moving and all that.  in the superbowl it almost looked like the eagles were going to be able to keep making first downs on their last scoring drive and drive the clock down.  as it turned out they scored but for the brady strip sack they might've been in trouble.  but i digress.  if the jets sign cousins he will be good enough to scare the opponents and that will be a good thing.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Seems logical to get worked up by a report that is obviously planted by his agent.

People keep saying this but the reason people are getting worked up is because it's likely true.   I personally beleive the Jets are all-in on Cousins and are prepared to win a bidding war regarldless of the price.  

32 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not signing Cousins is the SMARTEST thing the Jets can do. It is totally wrong for this team. It is a desperate move, with the best upside being that we will be mediocre.  People thinking that Cousins is going to continue those numbers here is idiotic. Going from a super offensive minded coach that is pass happy to Todd "we need to run more" Bowles is not going to enhance Cousins as a player. The Run up the middle-run up the middle-3rd and long offense Bowles wants to run does not lead to gaudy QB stats. Passing a LOT, especially when behind like Redskins were against soft zone pads stats like Cousins has.

It is impossible for me to know what is the going to be the best move long term since we dont know how these players are going to turn out. However I think all of these strategies are better. I would look to actually get TWO QB prospects in this coming year. As it stands we have NO QB at all.

1.  Go get the #1 pick. I think Cleveland would trade it. It would cost a ton of draft equity, but if you are convinced that the QB is going to be an Elite franchise guy the price does not matter. This also requires almost all draft equity in this years and next tears draft to be on offense 

2. Sign a different veteran such as McCarron or Keenum both of whom will likely perform similar to Cousins, still be super expensive but much less so than Cousins. Then draft a QB in first if you can get your guy, or draft a guy like Falk, Lauletta or White (i was pretty impressed with White in the Senior Bowl)

3 Take a flyer on Jackson maybe by trading down a few spots and then take a second guy like Falk, Lauletta or White. 

4. Go get the #3 pick and draft your guy. Pick another in a later round, and draft offense.

5. Wait for the draft to come to you. I think the QBs are so divisive this year that I think at least one of the Top guys maybe more will be there at 6 Did we expect Carr or Bridgewater to be there? And they were in a much less crowded top of the QB class. All of these QBs have some pretty big question mark that will push them down on many draft boards. 

I think any of those are better scenarios. I like Mayfield a lot, I think he could be the guy and I think we may get him at 6 or could trade up. I would also draft a second guy. 

Signing Cousins is the completely risk averse option for a team that wants to be mediocre. It fits the Jets, so I can totally see it happening, though I actually think odds are higher he goes to Minny, Arizona or Buffalo before us.

Once they resigned Bowles, this was the only possible outcome.

The reality is Cousins at that contract and Bowles are a perfect fit for one another. Bowles wants to go 9-7 or 10-6 every year, and with Cousins maxing out the cap, that is our upside. 

There is zero chance they are going to start developing a QB in year 4 of the regime. The stupidest thing we could have done was extending Bowles and Maccagnan, and they did it. The rest is just wreckage following the crash.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The main reason Cousins would sign here is because since this is his big chance to grab the brass ring he's going to want as much log term years and guaranteed money as he can get. Don't fault him for that objectively. But clear the Jets will be bidding against themselves.   

And the reason to would come down to money; there are no real high quality skill players. The OL is bad. There is not a sure-handed dumpoff TE like Kelce/Gronk/Witten. The coach is an idiot who thinks he can win 7-3.Now may be it always comes down to money. But thinking out loud if there was a  decent OL and people like Marshall and Decker here, might even be a decent reason to sign here. But that's not this team. And in the out years, how do you fill out a team while resigning Williams, Lee, Adams and keep Cousins upright? Any way you look at it drafting a QB makes way more sense. 

I’m of the thought that these are the current, realistic options:

1. Draft a QB at six, see what Bates can do with him and McCown.

2. Draft the CB that Bowles wants at 6, let him flounder, fire him.

3. Pay Cousins ungodly amounts and hope that a million implausible things occur in order to justify the signing.

• Upvote 1

I haven't read through 12 pages of posts - but what do people think we *should* do with all of our cap space?  It's much better to throw it at a QB, who may or may not work out, then say some corner or whatever.

And even if we drafted a QB at 1 this year, and he was amazing, we wouldn't need to pay him for 4 years.  IOW, the "opportunity cost" of blowing $30m of annual cap space doesn't seem to be so great...  Do we have any great players coming off their rookie deal soon?  Leo is the only one I can think of in the next few years...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, thshadow said:

I haven't read through 12 pages of posts - but what do people think we *should* do with all of our cap space?  It's much better to throw it at a QB, who may or may not work out, then say some corner or whatever.

And even if we drafted a QB at 1 this year, and he was amazing, we wouldn't need to pay him for 4 years.  IOW, the "opportunity cost" of blowing $30m of annual cap space doesn't seem to be so great...  Do we have any great players coming off their rookie deal soon?  Leo is the only one I can think of in the next few years...

What we should have done is fired Bowles and Mac, and let the new regime pick a QB and develop one. Then use the cap space to put pieces around the QB to help him develop and become successful, with smart contracts. Getting good young players.

The Cousins model is the only outcome that could come out of Bowles and Mac, who have ignored the QB position for the first 3 years outside of drafting Hackenberg and Petty.

You don't go into year 4, with 2 of 3 losing seasons, developing a young QB. This regime is clueless, and we will essentially be locking up 5 years of this hoping to sneak into the playoffs if we get no injuries and all breaks right, with a  first round bounce.

• Upvote 2

Kirk Cousins is not worth the money he is going to be paid. and he certainly isn't worth guaranteeing the money 

It's fine though. The Jets stink. They will continue to stink with Neil Odonnell part II. That's what they do. 

This scenario where the Jets make prudent signings and smart draft picks, that's not our team you guys. 

The Jets are the laughing stock. They are the jobbers who wrestle the champ on Saturday morning, not on PPV. 

They can re arrange the deck chairs on the titanic anyway they want the ship is still going to the bottom of the ocean

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3

8 minutes ago, thshadow said:

They can make rational signings. The team needs an edge those are extremely expensive. Why not pay Lawrence Thomas he's 26 and unlike Cousins, actually among the best at his position in the league.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

The Broncos have their fair share of laundry. The choice will most likely be made on Money/Location more so than Cousins is letting off. Cousins will most likely be able to talk himself into the talent a team has if everything else is up to his standard of satisfaction. Denver still have pieces, Jets have a few and hell even the Browns do. All 3 teams have top 10 selections and two have an abundance of money. Definitely think with each situation presenting the same gig in a sense, it will come down to $$/location more than anything else.

And offensive coaching staff. That's huge, he wants to be able to get comfortable quickly & why not? Kirk isn't stupid, wherever he goes the pressure is on from the 1st snap of the opening game when you get that kind of money!

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Kirk Cousins is not worth the money he is going to be paid. and he certainly isn't worth guaranteeing the money 

It's fine though. The Jets stink. They will continue to stink with Neil Odonnell part II. That's what they do. 

This scenario where the Jets make prudent signings and smart draft picks, that's not our team you guys. 

The Jets are the laughing stock. They are the jobbers who wrestle the champ on Saturday morning, not on PPV. 

They can re arrange the deck chairs on the titanic anyway they want the ship is still going to the bottom of the ocean

As long as the Johnsons own the Jets, this will never change.

We have had two atrocious owners, its not rocket science. Bad owners hire bad coaches and bad GM's, and stick with them when they shouldn't. 

• Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Fact: Washington was a 3-4 win team

Yes and Kirk Cousins was the starting QB for 25% of those games going 1-7 those 2 years!  So he shoulders a good portion of that failure those 2 years, and sorry 24-23-1 after 1-7 for a total record of 25-30-1 does not scream hand this man a fully guaranteed blank check, and the team that does do it better have a Super Bowl roster around him, or it’s gonna be 5 more years of 7-9 football I’ll guarantee that.

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

What we should have done is fired Bowles and Mac, and let the new regime pick a QB and develop one. Then use the cap space to put pieces around the QB to help him develop and become successful, with smart contracts. Getting good young players.

The Cousins model is the only outcome that could come out of Bowles and Mac, who have ignored the QB position for the first 3 years outside of drafting Hackenberg and Petty.

You don't go into year 4, with 2 of 3 losing seasons, developing a young QB. This regime is clueless, and we will essentially be locking up 5 years of this hoping to sneak into the playoffs if we get no injuries and all breaks right, with a  first round bounce.

Ideally, we would've lost those games in October, fired the coach and GM and be talking about which QB we'd be taking with the 2nd or 3rd pick.

But that's not what happened.  What do you do now?  

I don't think building a whole team of free agents is a good idea, that never works.  But signing one or two premium free agents would be prudent; say Josh Kline from the Titans (after we cut James Carpenter) and Kirk Cousins. We can re-sign ASJ, Kony Ealy, Claiborne, and save the rest of that money for next season.

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, Dcat said:

geez you keep saying this.  I guess if you say it often enough, this unsupported assumption of yours will magically transform into fact. 

Ok so let’s go off his 25-30-1 record as a starting QB then yeah ok get the blank check out quickly, and hand it to him before he signs a reasonable deal elsewhere, only Jets fans.  This whole fan base has such PTSD syndrome at the QB position that we’re willing to except giving turds like sh*tzpatrick 15 million a year, and now advocate 30+ million fully guaranteed to a turd like Cousins.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Ideally, we would've lost those games in October, fired the coach and GM and be talking about which QB we'd be taking with the 2nd or 3rd pick.

But that's not what happened.  What do you do now?  

I don't think building a whole team of free agents is a good idea, that never works.  But signing one or two premium free agents would be prudent; say Josh Kline from the Titans (after we cut James Carpenter) and Kirk Cousins. We can re-sign ASJ, Kony Ealy, Claiborne, and save the rest of that money for next season.

I can't say what I would do now, because its not logical for this regime to do what I think should be done. Which is draft a QB and hope to develop them and put the right pieces around them, using the FA dollars to put good young people in key spots.

But the time for that was a few years ago, not now. I also don't think Bowles has any interest whatsoever in drafting a young QB and developing them, so its kind of pointless. 

I am of the opinion that we are entering a 3-5 year period where we will be between 7-9 and 10-6, with zero real chance to do any damage in any year, and hoping for week 17 win with help to sneak into the playoffs. Its depressing, but when you have awful owners, this is what you get.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

To be honest, it makes sense for them, just not to Cousins.  Elway gets way too much credit for lucking up and taking Von Miller and having Manning sign there as a free agent.  

As much as he gets credit for letting Osweiler go, he did offer him a huge contract after watching him for several years in practice and in games.  He is the most overrated GM in the league and what’s great is that he will be there GM as long as he wants based on the SBs that Terrell Davis and Von Miller won for him.

Their roster has peaked and needs an overhaul.  

Jets with Cousins > Denver with Cousins.

Broncos are better off drafting Allen and signing McCown.  Their qb play has been beyond abysmal last 3 years they still have a good roster

Just now, NoBowles said:

I can't say what I would do now, because its not logical for this regime to do what I think should be done. Which is draft a QB and hope to develop them and put the right pieces around them, using the FA dollars to put good young people in key spots.

But the time for that was a few years ago, not now. I also don't think Bowles has any interest whatsoever in drafting a young QB and developing them, so its kind of pointless. 

I am of the opinion that we are entering a 3-5 year period where we will be between 7-9 and 10-6, with zero real chance to do any damage in any year, and hoping for week 17 win with help to sneak into the playoffs. Its depressing, but when you have awful owners, this is what you get.

Yea, I want new ownership too.  

But nothing you said is a solution for that, or for anything actually football related.  I wish things were different too, but in an offseason where we'll have a hundred million in cap space, three picks in the top fifty and the Jets are genuinely linked with a franchise quarterback in free agency, I can summon up a modicum of optimism.    

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Ok so let’s go off his 25-30-1 record as a starting QB then yeah ok get the blank check out quickly, and hand it to him before he signs a reasonable deal elsewhere, only Jets fans.  This whole fan base has such PTSD syndrome at the QB position that we’re willing to except giving turds like sh*tzpatrick 15 million a year, and now advocate 30+ million fully guaranteed to a turd like Cousins.

There has never been a quarterback of Cousins' caliber to hit free agency.  We anticipate having a hundred million in cap space after obvious cuts.  There are three teams picking ahead of us in the draft that need quarterbacks.  We are not nearly the most attractive destination, from a roster perspective, to a free agent.  We're going to have to overpay to land him.  

Some of us have made peace with all of that.    

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

41 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Once they resigned Bowles, this was the only possible outcome.

The reality is Cousins at that contract and Bowles are a perfect fit for one another. Bowles wants to go 9-7 or 10-6 every year, and with Cousins maxing out the cap, that is our upside. 

There is zero chance they are going to start developing a QB in year 4 of the regime. The stupidest thing we could have done was extending Bowles and Maccagnan, and they did it. The rest is just wreckage following the crash.

It is literally mind blowing that they brought back a head coach that actually gave up in a regular season game and has done nothing to suggest he is a good head coach.  I DO think the Jets will go hard after Cousins, he is exactly what Bowles wants. He is the mediocre move. I dont think we get him and also hope we dont get him. I see few scenarios where Bowles survives and just like Rex the extra year just screws us up the butt.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m of the thought that these are the current, realistic options:

3. Pay Cousins ungodly amounts and hope that a million implausible things occur in order to justify the signing.

I don' think there are a million implausible things.  The Jets could sign/draft a CB, TE, G, C and RB with their top picks/remaining cap space. They kick WR down the road with Kearse, Enunwa and Anderson.

We are not making a SB team.  This is a wild card team that maybe gets lucky.  That is the Jets way.  

12 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

This is what should have happened.   The problem is that the Johnsons realized that they really did not give MacBowles a chance to do a true rebuild, and they needed to extend them if they ever wanted to hire someone else.

So instead the Johnsons extended them for 2 years (three years total) but everyone thinks that is for show, and they are win now.  We shall see.

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the thing is, like it or not, the ball control game is about the best type of game to have when confronting passing teams.  i'm sure you know that.  and as much as we'd like to see cousins or the next qb be able to put up 4000 yds, it's the threat that, imo, will be valuable.  i think the whole descriptions of game manager versus passer get a little over blown.  every successful qb has had to manage the game and they do that by making the right throws.  you know, keep the chains moving and all that.  in the superbowl it almost looked like the eagles were going to be able to keep making first downs on their last scoring drive and drive the clock down.  as it turned out they scored but for the brady strip sack they might've been in trouble.  but i digress.  if the jets sign cousins he will be good enough to scare the opponents and that will be a good thing.

i/we have watch the jets load up the defensive side of the ball with the lion's share of the talent for 20+ years.. a handful have been very good, if not special.. & even the "very good" jet defenses have always struggled on getting off the field when it really mattered.. most, by my estimation, have under achieved & some have been inexcusably bad given the talent..

in this day & age, the way to consistently beat passing teams is to become one yourselves.. that ain't happening with bowles.. obviously..

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

There has never been a quarterback of Cousins' caliber to hit free agency

Just because the media is saying this the sheep believe it, it’s utter nonsense, Cousins is no better then any of the 3 Minnesota QB’s when they are healthy period stop!  Stop being a sheep, understand the NFL, the NFL media, and the NFL players all want you to think every single little thing happening is new, and unheard of don’t stop tuning in, don’t stop clicking my articles, don’t stop listening to my podcasts, don’t stop driving up the price on my unwanted by his former team mediocre QB that I want to get 30+ million a year for to get rich off of.  Use your brain think for yourself don’t let them tell you what to believe, and think.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don' think there are a million implausible things.  The Jets could sign/draft a CB, TE, G, C and RB with their top picks/remaining cap space. They kick WR down the road with Kearse, Enunwa and Anderson.

We are not making a SB team.  This is a wild card team that maybe gets lucky.  That is the Jets way.  

This is what should have happened.   The problem is that the Johnsons realized that they really did not give MacBowles a chance to do a true rebuild, and they needed to extend them if they ever wanted to hire someone else.

So instead the Johnsons extended them for 2 years (three years total) but everyone thinks that is for show, and they are win now.  We shall see.

I do believe that the Johnsons insisted on that stupid competitive rebuild, and told them to try to win now. Many don't think so, but I do believe that. That said, I have seen nothing from either of them to make me think they should get a chance to do a rebuild. 

9 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Yea, I want new ownership too.  

But nothing you said is a solution for that, or for anything actually football related.  I wish things were different too, but in an offseason where we'll have a hundred million in cap space, three picks in the top fifty and the Jets are genuinely linked with a franchise quarterback in free agency, I can summon up a modicum of optimism.    

Optimism as a fan is relative and individual I suppose. For me, I am interested in a championship, everything else is blah. So I want to see a regime that has a plan, and the ability to win a SB, or I want them gone. Some fans are happy with competitive seasons. I am not if they aren't in what I believe to be a path towards a SB. But I do get that not everyone shares my approach.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

I do believe that the Johnsons insisted on that stupid competitive rebuild, and told them to try to win now. Many don't think so, but I do believe that. That said, I have seen nothing from either of them to make me think they should get a chance to do a rebuild. 

We are completely on the same page, in all respects.

But I think we are good for 2-3 more years of MacBowles, so we should get used to it, and try to rationalize/find the bright side of what we all know these clowns are going to do.

I am actually trying to find the bright side to drafting Nelson or Minkah.  Nelson for Carpenter and not signing a FA guard could be cool.

• Upvote 1